Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

syntaxfunction posted:

Things goons can't understand:
Taylor Swift
The way those kids talk
Time???

So basically goons can eat and poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

dee eight kept trying to get me to give him a ride so he could "score a lid"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

D8: Seeds & Stems

A Polygram Record

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Choosing what to watch all the drat time, it's exhausting
Just turn on the tv and flip channels until you find out there's nothing on, then turn it off again and do something else.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

its cool that in your life, nobody gives a poo poo if you arrive to anything 10 minutes after it has started

be self employed,
live like a hermit
=
all interaction on your terms

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

be self employed,
live like a hermit
=

Hello there!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

youtubers like kai cenat and adin ross. i really dont get it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

be self employed,
live like a hermit
=

I've been self-employed and still had to make meetings with people that got me money

It's cool that you don't care about punctuality though but that's not really a function of being self-employed lol

And then when I consulted with people that were self-employed, they still had to make meetings that I set with them so I'm not really sure I see the correlation. I'm sure it's working out well for you though

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
the fact that you fret about this time thing only proves my point.

I couldn't convince you that you're wrong about it and that timeliness is a vice,
any more than one of those urbanist youtubers yelling about stroads
could change the minds of typical carbrained americans who actually love
their stroads and suburban cul-de-sacs far removed from any chance at salvation.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DicktheCat posted:

I legit do not understand how Taylor Swift is so big.

I remember her being a thing back in the day, but she's everywhere again, and I just... the only thing I can think is that she's a venn diagram of safe, marketable and appealing to milquetoast centrist types/ younger girls for her lipservice towards basic feminism.

I don't begrudge anyone their taste, but it's kinda odd that sort of radio pop has essentially crystalized. There's a few new techniques and flavors tossed in, but it's the same dish as 10-15 years ago.

she’s really good at minecraft

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Grimace posted:

Watches are always too uncomfortable. Tight or loose, I just can't stand feeling them on my wrist and it activates some kind of irritation complex in me that doesn't go away until they're offa me.

they’re designed for anal use, idiot

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Worf posted:

I've been self-employed and still had to make meetings with people that got me money

It's cool that you don't care about punctuality though but that's not really a function of being self-employed lol

And then when I consulted with people that were self-employed, they still had to make meetings that I set with them so I'm not really sure I see the correlation. I'm sure it's working out well for you though

seems more like you were self owned

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

git apologist posted:

they’re designed for anal use, idiot

Help I tried this too and now I feel even worse

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

the fact that you fret about this time thing only proves my point.

I couldn't convince you that you're wrong about it and that timeliness is a vice,
any more than one of those urbanist youtubers yelling about stroads
could change the minds of typical carbrained americans who actually love
their stroads and suburban cul-de-sacs far removed from any chance at salvation.

Yeah youve never had a job and I suspect your self employment income comes from the government/ your mom

Respecting other people's time when you know that regardless of your own outlook,they're going to be bound to a schedule isn't a vice

It's being part of society / not a narcissist / sociopath

I couldn't convince you of this, ofc, because you're a self described hermit

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Worf posted:

Yeah youve never had a job and I suspect your self employment income comes from the government/ your mom

Respecting other people's time when you know that regardless of your own outlook,they're going to be bound to a schedule isn't a vice

It's being part of society / not a narcissist / sociopath

I couldn't convince you of this, ofc, because you're a self described hermit

So just let it go, you're arguing with some guy on the Internet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The Bible posted:

So just let it go, you're arguing with some guy on the Internet.

Nah

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

worf is too old to understand letting go when arguing on the internet

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yes I do tend to ignore advice from people that can't follow it in spirit and engage me while telling me not to engage others

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

:D

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I actually quite like these Zoomers, they never talk on the phone or watch television, and I deeply respect those choices. TV and phone calls are gross mind-numbing 20th-Century trash.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Chicken Butt posted:

I actually quite like these Zoomers, they never talk on the phone or watch television, and I deeply respect those choices. TV and phone calls are gross mind-numbing 20th-Century trash.

Yea

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Worf posted:

Yeah youve never had a job and I suspect your argf blarg pferfle strawman kabllooie

Of course I had a job, I've been slaving my whole life (and by the way never taken a handout from anyone.) How other than working for corpo shits and fretting about time do you think I arrived at this enlightened state. I only wish I had figured it out earlier.

It's all good just let it slide man.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lol at scolding people about punctuality in the being old thread.

I actually have no idea where my blind spots are wrt to "youth culture" because I dont really interact with it.

Like, my nephew plays Fortnite and AFL. I get it. I played CS and ran track though.

My other nephew is a film production student who likes horrible 20 minute long YTP videos that are full of screaming and I avoid being cornered by him but I also get it to some extent. Ive basically put up boundaries and im like "you can show me one video but its gotta be under 10 minutes".

I worked for a concert venue and saw heaps of newer acts and they were mostly good.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

the_nothing posted:

who the gently caress likes talking on the phone?

I don't like it very much, but calling a business is almost always the best way to get quick answers to questions like "Do you have (x) in stock?" or "You guys are open till (y) 'o clock today, right?" to avoid wasting an hour+ driving around pointlessly. This is really only an issue for small businesses in my area that love to close early (or not open at all on random days), though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I don't like it very much, but calling a business is almost always the best way to get quick answers to questions like "Do you have (x) in stock?" or "You guys are open till (y) 'o clock today, right?" to avoid wasting an hour+ driving around pointlessly. This is really only an issue for small businesses in my area that love to close early (or not open at all on random days), though.

live chat is way better for this, easily the best way to contact a business.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People can be late all they want but if you're late when I'm waiting more than a few excusable times I'm just gonna not try to do anything with you. Totally your prerogative to want to take it easy, also totally valid for me to value my time more than you, that's how it goes.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

punctuality is also highly cultural. for example, african and carribean cultures tend to place significantly less emphasis on being clock-bound and punctual. some cultures place a high value on punctuality, some go as far as to see it as odd to be "on time" or inflexibly precise wrt time.

in any case, it isn't a young/old thing at all

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm only punctual to a flight or something like that. If you think I'm showing up to a get together or work on time for minimum wage then lol.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Grey Cat posted:

I'm only punctual to a flight or something like that. If you think I'm showing up to a get together or work on time for minimum wage then lol.

tbf if somebody works for minimum wage their time literally isnt valuable so its kinda moot

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean, context obviously matters, but if you're always making people late for a movie or something you just don't want to show up on time for the you also don't get to complain about not being invited to that poo poo lol

Like there's a tonne of times someone says "I'll be around like afternoon" and that's fine. But then there's times when people are like "I'll be around in the afternoon" and then want to show up at nine and I am no longer prepared to deal with your sorry rear end, go the gently caress home, poo poo ain't rocket science.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

live chat is way better for this, easily the best way to contact a business.

Live chat is typically better if you're contacting a large business (especially when the alternative there is a 45 minute wait in phone menu hell), but live chat isn't ever going to be staffed by someone at the physical location you're intending to visit and can actually verify things like whether something is physically in stock. Especially if it's a small place run by old(er) people.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modern gaming. Obviously many of you very much understand it, but it's vague cloud of expensive mystery to me. Streaming, platforms, in game purchases, expansion packs, downloads, etc.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

We answer live chat in house at the tiny company I work for but I get you.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I found this compromise acceptable.

Impossible to tell time more accurately than around plus or minus 10 minutes.
I think it's unhealthy to worry about time more accurately than that.

I have one like this but it doesn’t even have hour markers so you really can’t figure out the time very accurately, it’s great.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chicken Butt posted:

That's because they grew up on Social Media, which is the 21st-Century fentanyl of electronic vices. It's no wonder your paltry 20th-Century trash can't make them feel anything anymore.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Of course I had a job, I've been slaving my whole life (and by the way never taken a handout from anyone.) How other than working for corpo shits and fretting about time do you think I arrived at this enlightened state. I only wish I had figured it out earlier.

It's all good just let it slide man.

(Shows up to movie date an hour late) “I have never taken a handout!”

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

(Shows up to movie date an hour late) “I have never taken a handout!”

lmao

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
My students are obsessing over Skibidi Toilet...

And apparently a new thing dropped for Fortnite, so they were going bonkers over that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

EoinCannon posted:

Choosing what to watch all the drat time, it's exhausting
Just turn on the tv and flip channels until you find out there's nothing on, then turn it off again and do something else.

Home electric shadow boxes are the Devil.