Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume the orbital railgun will be a good companion to my Eagle once I buy it, and will round out my high-level offensive loadout.

Any tips on how to get the most out of the arc thrower? How should I be using it, and what should I be using it on? Just want to be prepared if I ever have a need to kill stuff with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume the orbital railgun will be a good companion to my Eagle once I buy it, and will round out my high-level offensive loadout.

Any tips on how to get the most out of the arc thrower? How should I be using it, and what should I be using it on? Just want to be prepared if I ever have a need to kill stuff with one.

The Orbital Railgun trades uptime for reliability it's a for sure kill on anything except a bile titan - However, You can use 3 110 strikes and send the eagle back to reload them in roughly the time it takes it to recharge with the ship upgrades ATM. However - the 110's struggle to get enough hits to kill small or fast targets like Hulks and Chargers. So it's significantly more reliable against these targets.

The ARC is like a flashlight, it targets an enemy in the cone around the aimpoint - you can game this by aiming above the target so it's the only available one. Other than that, you should use it on everything you see as long as there aren't friendlies between you or behind the enemy you're aiming above.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 11, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The arc hungers for helldiver flesh.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I once had a mission with a guy trying the Arc for the first time, I died like five times from friendly fire. Extremely patriotic gun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How does it interact with armour?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It seems to ignore it, at least partially.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Arc seems to get poo poo done but it feels so weird to use that I rarely take it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darth Walrus posted:

orbital railcannon 1 shots a charger and does like 3/4 dmg to a bile titan and blows a big hole in it. it one shots tanks and hulks. depending on mission length, the laser can be better since it kills more things and is a good "oh poo poo" button that can both manage to kill elites and also clear out a lot of trash. the railcannon can be used more often over a long mission though as a dedicated anti-bile titan/tank weapon. On higher difficulty though tanks and titans spawning from alerts means its a bit less useful due to the long cooldown.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like the railcannon, especially when playing with a group since it's likely others have the laser. It's a long cool down but usually timed out so when we start another big combat encounter it's ready or close to ready. Being able to delete a charger is handy and more reliable than the rocket pods by a large margin.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the laser has teamkilled me more than anything else combined in recent history, it loves to just cut right across the team from one side to the other

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dunno if the Spear's lockon has been fixed, but a buddy of mine loves the thing and always seems to be able to quickly lock and erase Chargers with it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the more i think about it, the more i think the shared reload should work no matter who is wearing the backpack. hell based on the animation it would actually make more sense for the shooter to be wearing the backpack. it would make the RR and the spear way more fun if just anyone can come over and give you fast reloads.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Night10194 posted:

I dunno if the Spear's lockon has been fixed, but a buddy of mine loves the thing and always seems to be able to quickly lock and erase Chargers with it.

I'll have to give it another try, if the lock-on worked reliably I'd use the Spear a lot more but it was so hit or miss I couldn't justify using it

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the more i think about it, the more i think the shared reload should work no matter who is wearing the backpack. hell based on the animation it would actually make more sense for the shooter to be wearing the backpack. it would make the RR and the spear way more fun if just anyone can come over and give you fast reloads.

100% agree on this. Shared reload is such a cool concept but by far the biggest downside is the reload buddy needs to be able to stick by your side.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I’ve been wanting that for a while. If you need to make it slightly slower than the loader having the backpack. Make it an option though cause as is team loading almost never gets used.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy how sometimes when people talk about meta you can tell they only play against one faction.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when my buddy first unlocked the RR it was fun to just walk around with the backpack on because we didn't really have much else competing for that slot, and it was neat that he could give up the ability to self reload for rapid reloading if we could stay coordinated

now though if you aren't giving up autocannon ammo you're giving up a shield or drone or an entire reserve resupply calldown. so why would anyone do that lol

the idea that you gotta set it up by fumbling around with the drop equipment menu and then have everyone pick their original poo poo up after is funny but the RR just isn't worth the hassle in a chaotic fight. maybe if there was some more ammo and the RR did some more damage? idk

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had a hero moment and I am re-sold on this video game, my GOTY for 2024.

There was 4 of us, 2 dead, no reinforcements. A bile titan was chasing him through a rocky area. I shot the bile titan with an orbital rail then jump packed under it as it breathed up and shot a bunch of grenades square into its mouth, killing it-- voice chat went wild. Of course, the game crashed when I exited but I guess they're working on that???

I love the jump pack, even though it honestly kinda sucks

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the jump pack in helldivers 1 was my favorite thing ever, it's awful seeing what they've done to it

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
the jump pack is easily one of the most busted backpack options in the game ngl you can use it to avoid 10000x more damage than the shield generator per engagement against bugs imo

only thing that I'm not so hot on is that it costs stamina now where it didn't at launch, but thats a small nitpick

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

toasterwarrior posted:

When I was testing right after the update it was around like three shots to the head for me, through it's probably the distance. That said, slugger can pop their heads from as far as you can shoot well so IMO it's still superior
It's absolutely the distance. Examples from a game earlier today here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh3T1RVTd8k

Punisher can kill warriors in one shot to either head or body if you're close enough that most of the pellets hit.
That's a limitation but it's a fine one, especially since the higher damage means you can kill stalkers faster(hence the example vs them also in that video). Stalkers are the bug where primary damage output matters the most since you're not killing them with stratagems as often and you really want them off you once they're near.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

trizzNPH posted:

the jump pack is easily one of the most busted backpack options in the game ngl you can use it to avoid 10000x more damage than the shield generator per engagement against bugs imo

only thing that I'm not so hot on is that it costs stamina now where it didn't at launch, but thats a small nitpick

It's really great if you're quick but the problem with it is that it has a long cooldown, and a shield generator/laser drone are just so much more useful. I mean, the laser drone alone kills so many dudes so easily. If they gave it two charges, it would be worth using for more people.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Infidelicious posted:

IMO:

Scorcher - Kills Striders from the Front kills raiders in the chest, mag dump devs and they die / lose limbs.

Slugger or Dominator - Kills Devs with 1 or 2 headshots very chunky.

+2 Grenade Armor - Impacts solve a lot of problems vs. bots, and the recoil reduction helps when using the AC/AMR

Impacts - 1 well placed will gently caress up Heavy Devs, packs of Striders, a bit finicky vs. Fabs but that's why you have strategems or the AC.

For Strategems

110's - Kills Tanks and Turrets well, occasionally unreliable.

Eagle Airstrike - Wipes out medium bases in one go.

Then 2 of the following -

Autocannon - Kills everything as long as you're positioned and aim well

AMR + Shield Pack - Kills Hulks and Devs well, more survivable than the AC but less flexible.

GL + Shield or Supply - Up to you if you want survivability or to blow up everything.

Autocannon Turret - Pretty great firepower for defense objectives, bots are typically less numberous and melee focused so it's not as FF happy as with bugs.

Orbital Laser - Oh poo poo Button / Kills the Eye of Sauron with no muss no fuss.

EMS Mortar - Shuts down bots when it hits, and makes their accuracy poo poo. It's safe to use around friends when there's jetpack knife guys, or lots of berzerkers around unlike the regular mortar turret.

Agree with all of these but have to put a ref in for the eagle smoke strike. Especially if youre mostly trying to do objectives.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I still need to try out smoke thoroughly. Is orbital the way to go with it?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

every time i watch the laser drone or ignore a shitbot it's shooting at under the assumption that it will kill it, i find that very frequently the drone's shooting slightly to the side of the target, missing it entirely and accomplishing nothing (sometimes getting me gunned down because i made the mistake of trusting a machine). also seen it shoot at walls a fair amount.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I think that the rifle drone is better than the laser drone by a bit from what I've seen, less of a tendency to drag just behind a sidestepping enemy. I feel like the rifle is also a bit better damage since it busts through medium bug armor better. Hard to say for sure, maybe it also misses but I can't tell because you can't see the projectile as easy. I don't rate running out of ammo as much of a problem, I'm definitely the kind of player who always calls in resupply on cooldown and dumps extra mags with the intention of refilling from stockpiles on POIs, you might feel differently. I know I think the beam rifle is very weak if you aren't always hitting weakpoints and I don't think the drone is smart enough for that :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when i tried out the gun drone i found it to have about 20% uptime due to ammo problems lol

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Gun drone is worse than pre patch spray and pray lmao

Dandywalken posted:

Nah, eagle. And once the single shot nade pistol comes in, maybe actual grenades too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ninjewtsu posted:

when i tried out the gun drone i found it to have about 20% uptime due to ammo problems lol

yeah. it's way more effective and does a ton more damage when it's shooting and will also probably do 1/4th the damage that the laser will over the course of certain missions if you're lucky

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

lol, had someone kick me for readying up with a machine gun on a Difficulty 7 bug mission even though my other stratagems included:
*Orbital Railcannon
*Eagle Rocket Pods
*Eagle 500kg Bomb

I had ample enough solutions for dealing with big targets that maybe something that was good at chewing through a bunch of smaller, medium-armored things to stuff a bug breach before it happened wasn't actually a bad choice?

turn off the TV posted:

yeah. it's way more effective and does a ton more damage when it's shooting and will probably do 1/4th the damage over the course of certain missions if you're lucky

It is much, much better at not shooting your teammates, though, especially now that headshot damage is in and the laser drone is really good at clipping Helldiver heads. I do find that it shines best when you're stuck in with the team so you're sharing resupply drops and not lone-wolfing it and hogging them for yourself to satiate the Gun Drone's never-ending hunger for bullets. IIRC, didn't they recently fix it so that it actually got ammo back from ammo packs instead of resupply packs being the only way to refill its ammo stores?

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 11, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

LuiCypher posted:

lol, had someone kick me for readying up with a machine gun on a Difficulty 7 bug mission even though my other stratagems included:
*Orbital Railcannon
*Eagle Rocket Pods
*Eagle 500kg Bomb

I had ample enough solutions for dealing with big targets that maybe something that was good at chewing through a bunch of smaller, medium-armored things to stuff a bug breach before it happened wasn't actually a bad choice?

Nah bring another rail cannon and then get mad on Reddit about how you just keep getting overwhelmed by hunters

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Dandywalken posted:

I used to use orbital cause i rushed all orbital upgrades early on, but now I just bring along smoke grenades instead. I'm always playing w/ mechs so factory/bug nest destruction is already covered for me and the smokes very quickly turn the tide of a battle imo.

maybe this will change for me once EMS nades are out, those seem S tier, then I'd probably bring eagle smokes for the multiple uses

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mainwaring posted:

100% agree on this. Shared reload is such a cool concept but by far the biggest downside is the reload buddy needs to be able to stick by your side.

It worked much better in HD1 where everyone was on a shared screen. Everyone is so much more spread out in HD2 and I agree it'd make buddy loading a lot more appealing if anyone on the team could run up and assist the shooter.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Dinosaurs! posted:

It worked much better in HD1 where everyone was on a shared screen. Everyone is so much more spread out in HD2 and I agree it'd make buddy loading a lot more appealing if anyone on the team could run up and assist the shooter.

can you not team-reload an ally if they're using the weapon + holding the backpack?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I had my first experience with a guy I accidentally killed respawning and killing me out of spite, and then not reinforcing.

If I killed everybody who killed me I'd have more friendly kills than enemy kills.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

team reloading would work way better if you could run up to someone and press a hotkey in order to start doing a tandem reload instead of the current system where you run up to someone and press a hotkey and your animations bug out for a second or two and then nothing happens.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

causticBeet posted:

Nah bring another rail cannon and then get mad on Reddit about how you just keep getting overwhelmed by hunters

Anytime I see a pubbie on a mission try to lone wolf it, eat up over 50% of our reinforcements, and then quit out of the mission because they were mad that we didn't reinforce them immediately after their 12th death I know they're going straight to Reddit to complain about the game.

Like, I am known to lone wolf because I don't trust pub players to ignore patrols, but around the 4th/5th time I bite it I just give up and stick with the team. I gave it a shot, my loadout clearly isn't doing it for me out there by myself, so it's time to just stick with the rest of the team and try to stanch the loss of reinforcements. Maybe seven times out of ten, the reason why you don't extract with the Super Samples is because your team carelessly ran through their reinforcements and didn't have any left in the tank when it was time to extract and you all got wiped waiting for the Pelican.

(The other three times are - some pub picked up the Super Samples and tried swimming across a river or wound up playing bullet tag with enemies near a giant hole in the ground)

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 11, 2024

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

trizzNPH posted:

can you not team-reload an ally if they're using the weapon + holding the backpack?

The ability to reload is on the backpack. If you want to help someone reload, you have to be wearing the backpack of the weapon type they have.

It's almost like they thought when an Autocannon + AC Backpack dropped together, they expected one person to grab the autocannon, and someone else grab the backpack to load for them. That's definitely an option, but I'd hate to lose the ability to reload the gun I'm using.

I have seen 2p autocannon teams reloading for each other, like you run out of ammo, and instead of reloading yours (slowly) you just hop on their cannon and keep them firing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

trizzNPH posted:

You can only team reload in this game if one person has the weapon and the other person has the backpack. This can actually work well if you have two people bringing the same team reload weapon (as they can reload each other), but you rarely see this happen organically in a pub game even if two people bring the same weapon. As the poster above said, I've only seen it happen for Autocannons and even then the Autocannon is a weapon that really only benefits from it if you're going to go full-auto on something, but it reloads fast enough on its own that it's not strictly necessary (whereas RR and Spear could really use a buddy reloading you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

trizzNPH posted:

the buddy has to be wearing the backpack. as dinosaurs said in hd1 it made way more sense since everyone was on the same screen all the time. now its a much different and the very situations where team reload is the most useful are also the most likely to cause people to get separated.