Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

lol if these guys are impossible for you then Donut Media must be like actual torture

tldw the old one creaks a lot which is extra noticeable in an EV and the interior is in somewhat rough shape because “cheapest we could find” means it’s a former Hertz rental. The older materials are less good and the seats need a refill and there’s lovely piano black in places. Also the old stereo isn’t as nice as the new one, which is apparently quite nice and almost as good as some Martin Logan/etc stuff in luxury cars. The suspension geometry and components aren’t as nice as the new ones and also the car is a few years old which is gonna tire those components out. It has turn signal/etc stalks, which are a plus.

On the whole aside from the aforementioned complaints the old one feels and drives very much like the new one. The new one is improved all around, it looks better, the headlights look higher-end, the material choices are better, and the suspension is better. The screen bezels are a bit narrower and there’s a screen for the rear passengers now. Also the better stereo, which was mentioned previously.

It’s still a very competitive car but it’s also not really all that different from the old one and also they don’t have confidence that it’s put together dramatically better, or well, or that the materials are that much better than the older materials. The things the car gets really right in terms of packaging and ergonomics and feel/character and driving ability are all pretty much nailed in the older car, which makes getting a used Model 3 a really good choice vs shelling out for a brand new one that also lacks a bunch of poo poo like stalks, especially if you’re willing to do stuff like replace worn suspension bits, get the seats restuffed, etc.

They recommend spending a bit more than the $19k that their well-used former rental costs and not buying a used rental.

Thanks, that's about what I would expect. I have a 2019 Model 3, and while it's not as clapped out as the one they tested, it does have more interior noise that I would like, and some things just aren't put together very well. I still like it, but I would really like a R2 or R3 at some point.

I've never heard of Donut media, and it sounds like I should remain ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bone Crimes posted:

I've never heard of Donut media, and it sounds like I should remain ignorant.

This would be very wise of you. Clickbait rubbish that is more wrong than right with facts

that Throttle House video comparing old and new Model 3's was a cringefest even if the brutal honest opinions were refreshing and there is no way I'd touch any car with no stalks, what the hell was Musk think.... oh wait I I forgot he probably thought that was a good idea in a haze of ketamine and cocaine while typing racism in another poo poo Twitter post

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TwoDice posted:

Please, someone tell me why I shouldn't get a used i3 as a secondary city only errands car.

I absolutely loved my i3, the only reason I got rid of it was my extended warranty and battery warranty were expiring and the only reason that I didn't replace it with a 2021 i3 was the used market was so insane at the time that it just made sense to order a Mach-E with the tax credit. Also, my husband thought it was too small, but he hardly ever drove the i3 or drives the Mach-E, so it was a factor, but not a huge one.

It is just a delightful little car with so much utility.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TwoDice posted:

Please, someone tell me why I shouldn't get a used i3 as a secondary city only errands car.

wheels and tires are gonna be a sore spot, afaik.

Like I think there’s only one official tire that fits, and currently it’s fine and you can get it at Costco and tirerack and whatnot but who knows for how long

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

trilobite terror posted:

wheels and tires are gonna be a sore spot, afaik.

Like I think there’s only one official tire that fits, and currently it’s fine and you can get it at Costco and tirerack and whatnot but who knows for how long

So you just buy all the tires you’ll ever need at one go. Like shopping at Aldi.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
until they rot in storage but yea

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This would be very wise of you. Clickbait rubbish that is more wrong than right with facts

Their list videos are bad, but I will die on the hill that the first few money pit and high/low seasons were great car people YouTubing

Covid isolation Zach Jobe wrenching on a na miata by himself in his driveway was supremely relatable and took me back to *my first modified car ™* experience.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I respect anybody trying to do a Top Gear in some fashion on their own who isn’t a loving chud or tory scum, and afaik everybody at Donut is really cool and outspoken about poo poo that a lot of other CarTubers either emphatically avoid having opinions on for the sake of their audience or skew some amount of right of center on

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

donut is good, their mechanic reaction videos and project car builds are great. but also if you're the sort of person to use the term "rubbish" unironically yeah i can see how it might not be for you

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I first learned of Donut when I was playing Forza Horizon (4? 5? one of em) and they came off as mildly abrasive during their cameos. After watching a couple of their actual YT videos, it wasn’t any better.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Starts at £42.5k unfortunately which means it hits the luxury car tax in UK. Looks like the range is 339 or 323 miles though which is decent.

I'm pretty sure the luxury car tax doesn't apply to EVs yet.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Yeep posted:

I'm pretty sure the luxury car tax doesn't apply to EVs yet.
Ah yeah, having double checked it's only for vehicles registered 1 April 2025 on. Phew

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Took another drive yesterday and the Alert Driver Alertness Alert did not pop up. Dunno what that was all about.

One thing I really don't like about the 6 is there's no padding at all on the windowsill -- just hard plastic that's hard to rest your arm on. Honestly thinking about getting some sort of padded sleeve for longer drives cuz drat.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The Taycan Turbo GT was just introduced.

0-60 in 2.1 seconds, 777 hp continuous (1019 hp peak), and 988 pound-feet of peak torque.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60149482/porsche-taycan-turbo-gt-revealed-record-setting-lap/

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tayter Swift posted:

Took another drive yesterday and the Alert Driver Alertness Alert did not pop up. Dunno what that was all about.

As near as I can tell, this pops up when you're in active lane keeping mode (not the default one, but when you press the little "steering wheel" button on the wheel) or Highway Driving Assist. The car wants input from the wheel every so often or it'll pop up a "pay attention" graphic on the dashboard. If it doesn't sense any input after another couple of seconds, it will sound the tone and complain at you to pay attention. Eventually it will turn all of the assists off (this is absolutely Hyundai's way to keep from getting sued if someone turns on HDA, takes a nap, and plows into a crowd of toddlers).

It's kind of dumb because I'm paying attention 100% of the time it's on, but it doesn't usually need my input to stay on course. So I find myself occasionally twitching the wheel slightly just to keep it from complaining at me. Very silly.

quote:

One thing I really don't like about the 6 is there's no padding at all on the windowsill -- just hard plastic that's hard to rest your arm on. Honestly thinking about getting some sort of padded sleeve for longer drives cuz drat.

Agreed. I dislike the interior door configuration in general. I don't like having the window and lock buttons on the center console, and I have no idea why they didn't at least pad the armrest.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

McPhearson posted:

0-60 in 2.1 seconds, 777 hp continuous (1019 hp peak), and 988 pound-feet of peak torque.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60149482/porsche-taycan-turbo-gt-revealed-record-setting-lap/

just 3.341 seconds off the top qualifying 911 GT3 R from last years IMSA race at Laguna Seca on street tires. That's wild

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One of my favourite video genres is pro driver taking someone around the ‘ring and putting the fear of god into them.

The best being ex F1 driver Riccardo Patrese taking his wife around in a hopped up Civic Type R

If I ever visit that area of Germany I’m doing the ring taxi for sure and I want them to scare the willies out of me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

McPhearson posted:

Porsche ruined the front end of the Taycan with the facelift refresh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

One of my favourite video genres is pro driver taking someone around the ‘ring and putting the fear of god into them.

The best being ex F1 driver Riccardo Patrese taking his wife around in a hopped up Civic Type R

If I ever visit that area of Germany I’m doing the ring taxi for sure and I want them to scare the willies out of me
If you want a proper good scare on the 'ring, drive yourself in your own car, or a really expensive rental. Like from Sixt, not from the ring places.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mobby_6kl posted:

If you want a proper good scare on the 'ring, drive yourself in your own car, or a really expensive rental. Like from Sixt, not from the ring places.

I want a good scare not a real scare, I have heard about the costs involved from both the rental places and the fines you get from damaging the armco so noooo thank you sir :haw:

I consider myself a pretty decent driver but I have zero track type experience and would not jump straight to that for the safety of everyone and everything involved.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

Agreed. I dislike the interior door configuration in general. I don't like having the window and lock buttons on the center console, and I have no idea why they didn't at least pad the armrest.

The dog's already rolled the window down once :p

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

i cant be bothered right now so heres old car new car

:hmmyes:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We have an appointment on Monday to retrofit our 2019 Model 3 with a CCS-speaking charger doodad. :peanut:

e: it's kind of dumb that the CCS1->Tesla adapter can't be used with J1772 (according to the manual), but I guess juggling adapters is just going to be the North American EV experience for the next 4-6 years :shrug:

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 13, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

trilobite terror posted:

Porsche ruined the front end of the Taycan with the facelift refresh

Agreed, it looks bland. Should have just stolen the 928 or 959 face.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

Agreed, it looks bland. Should have just stolen the 928 or 959 face.
930 slant nose imo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

WhiteHowler posted:

As near as I can tell, this pops up when you're in active lane keeping mode (not the default one, but when you press the little "steering wheel" button on the wheel) or Highway Driving Assist. The car wants input from the wheel every so often or it'll pop up a "pay attention" graphic on the dashboard. If it doesn't sense any input after another couple of seconds, it will sound the tone and complain at you to pay attention. Eventually it will turn all of the assists off (this is absolutely Hyundai's way to keep from getting sued if someone turns on HDA, takes a nap, and plows into a crowd of toddlers).

It's kind of dumb because I'm paying attention 100% of the time it's on, but it doesn't usually need my input to stay on course. So I find myself occasionally twitching the wheel slightly just to keep it from complaining at me. Very silly.

so it's basically an alerter reset like on a railroad locomotive. except putting another button would eat into the margins, and probably be more subject to bypass

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

We have an appointment on Monday to retrofit our 2019 Model 3 with a CCS-speaking charger doodad. :peanut:

e: it's kind of dumb that the CCS1->Tesla adapter can't be used with J1772 (according to the manual), but I guess juggling adapters is just going to be the North American EV experience for the next 4-6 years :shrug:

What incantation did you speak to summon this upgrade

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

What incantation did you speak to summon this upgrade

It was right there in the app. Ms Cruft did it, I can't tell you how she found it. But their web page lists Model 3 and Y now: https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I would also be remiss if I passed over the opportunity to laugh at the Cyber Truck, which cannot use Tesla's CCS1 adapter because of the idiotic way it's designed.

I wonder what the general consensus is about the Cyber Truck over in Tesla's engineering departments. I kind of suspect they hate it as much as we do.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

It was right there in the app. Ms Cruft did it, I can't tell you how she found it. But their web page lists Model 3 and Y now: https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter

Still didn't show as available to me but I made a generic service request and it was scheduled. Thanks for the heads up

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

cruft posted:

I would also be remiss if I passed over the opportunity to laugh at the Cyber Truck, which cannot use Tesla's CCS1 adapter because of the idiotic way it's designed.

I wonder what the general consensus is about the Cyber Truck over in Tesla's engineering departments. I kind of suspect they hate it as much as we do.

The under-the-skin engineering thats gone into the thing is the only redeeming feature of it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ROFLBOT posted:

The under-the-skin engineering thats gone into the thing is the only redeeming feature of it

Yeah the part where the wheels fall off is pretty neat

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Munro is going to be tearing down a cybertruck, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwahPIbCW5E (Just an intro video, nothing taken apart yet). Seem like a lot of youtubers have been getting theirs, wonder if this is part of Tesla's "we don't do marketing" marketing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Absolutely. The old man will be wowed by how clever and innovative it is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah Munro’s a huge Elon evangelist, this was absolutely a choice from the head office

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Munro made an hour-long video, proverbially sucking off Elon Musk after his introduction to the Cybertruck at the advanced press event. It was a whole lot of ooh and ahhs about revolutionary technology that's changing the future. It was absolutely disgusting and I just fast-forwarded through it. I've never seen blatant fanboyism on his channel, so that was exceptionally disturbing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Munro’s an idiot who literally believes that tech & trade jobs went away and companies outsourced all of their machine shop and tool/mold-making to China and India because “too many kids were told that they could major in English” and woke culture run amok instead of the real reason (because three generations of MBA big-brains chased short term ‘number go up’ by downsizing and outsourcing the poo poo out of everything and also the government chose rewarding shareholders over keeping wages in line with inflation for ~40 years).

He acts like he invented the idea of a company buying a competitor’s product to tear down and benchmark.

It’s only natural that he would spend his dotage in the court of King Elon.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, all of that, AND
His company exists to identify ways to spend less money on car manufacturing, and Tesla is leading the way there with innovations like “keep removing parts and see when the NHTSA sues”

It’s like when elong bought twitter and started literally pulling cables on random servers. See what you can get away with not having. It makes their cars utterly repulsive to me, but you better believe other auto execs got hard when they realized maybe you don’t need turn signals after all.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just stumbled on an Elektrek article about GM's new hydrogen truck:

300 mile range on that bad boy, and they had enough space left after the hydrogen tanks to provide a whole 3 feed of bed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Yes, all of that, AND
His company exists to identify ways to spend less money on car manufacturing, and Tesla is leading the way there with innovations like “keep removing parts and see when the NHTSA sues”

It’s like when elong bought twitter and started literally pulling cables on random servers. See what you can get away with not having. It makes their cars utterly repulsive to me, but you better believe other auto execs got hard when they realized maybe you don’t need turn signals after all.

yeah that’s absolutely what a lot of business brains have seen from the whole Twitter thing. “Elon fired 80% of the staff and started cutting poo poo and everybody said it would crash and burn overnight, and it’s been a year and a half and it hasn’t yet”