Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
On the one hand, antibiotics are relatively cheap. On the other side, sugar pills are cheaper and there are dachas to pay off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

M_Gargantua posted:

They never got to play The Oregon Trail as children and it shows.

If the entire front collapses due to Dysentery we'll have some new random events for HOI5 and CK4

Considering the reports of poor shelter, bad/nonexistent food(on the western front by the Dnieper there were some grim starvation stories), it would be interesting to have some numbers on how many Russians are rendered combat-incapable by starvation, sickness or exposure. With how consistent and regular the stories are, it has to be a not-insignificant amount.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1767180121687933213

quote:

Czech President Petr Pavel believes NATO troop support for #Ukraine within its borders won't breach international norms.

In an interview with Euractiv, Pavel said the need for clear delineation between the deployment of combat units and potential involvement of troops in certain 'auxiliary' activities, for which #NATO already has experience.

I wonder if this is going to stay at just talk, considering now both Macron and Pavel have broached the idea.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Are they talking troops at the Polish and Romanian boarders ready to respond to stuff, or their troops inside Ukraine in like Lviv and along the Belarus and Moldavian boarder to free up the Ukrainian manpower to go eject their invaders?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Are they talking troops at the Polish and Romanian boarders ready to respond to stuff, or their troops inside Ukraine in like Lviv and along the Belarus and Moldavian boarder to free up the Ukrainian manpower to go eject their invaders?

We're not getting a lot of details that I've seen, but my impression is it's...

Inside the formal borders of Ukraine.
No one at the front lines.
Support roles like medical and supply staff.
Possibly taking over air defense roles in the central/western part of Ukraine
Maybe stuff like garrisons in Odessa, along the Belarussian border, etc. to prevent long-shot moves by the Russians that still require troops guarding against them

But so far it's all very much in the "expressing willingness"-phase more than the "setting down a clear proposal/offer"-phase, so who knows, maybe we'll get Czech tankers in Zaporizhia and French fighters guarding Ukrainian air space.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently the UK has already had RAF personnel in Ukraine for a while now, to say nothing of the CIA and MI6 paramilitary units that have almost assuredly been there advising since the start.

Deploying thousands of maintenance and logistics folks would be a major escalation, though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

psydude posted:

Apparently the UK has already had RAF personnel in Ukraine for a while now, to say nothing of the CIA and MI6 paramilitary units that have almost assuredly been there advising since the start.

Deploying thousands of maintenance and logistics folks would be a major escalation, though.

I recall hearing about AFU using Polish facilities to do repairs and maintenance on armored vehicles from a year ago. Put the busted ones on a rail car and send them west to get fixed

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

canyoneer posted:

I recall hearing about AFU using Polish facilities to do repairs and maintenance on armored vehicles from a year ago. Put the busted ones on a rail car and send them west to get fixed

I know lots of former Warsaw members still have some Soviet military infrastructure left, but Poland is the only country in Europe with the complete Soviet tank infrastructure, right?

Excluding Russia of course, I don't think Ukraine would get much help repairing vehicles from them

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Excluding Russia of course, I don't think Ukraine would get much help repairing vehicles from them

No, but they've been the single biggest donor of Soviet era equipment since the war started.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Poland probably has the most complete Soviet tank infrastructure, yeah. They're also cooperating long-term with South Korea to modernize and build new facilities.

Ukraine has tank infrastructure, but much less than they used to. They had a massive arsenal of tanks pre-war, but most were in poor condition, and they had trouble manufacturing T-84s (improved and modernized T-80UDs) up to the present day.

Saukkis posted:

I agree with A.o.D and suspect that an EFP may not be destructive enough in this case. There's a decent chance that it will hit the explosives in the drone boat and it might set them off, but it can also just poke a couple small holes. The carbon fiber probably won't cause much of a spalling inside.

This is something I have been wondering about tanks and EFP too, what is the propability that an EFP destroys a tank? It can certainly penetrate the hull, but unless it hits something critical it may just leave a couple small holes. I've seen a picture inside a russian tank that got lucky. It was target of some kind of top-down attack, probably HEAT, that came through the turret roof and then hit the gun breach but didn't penetrate further. The picture just showed a small, clean hole at the top of the breach and there didn't seem to be much of other damage around.

Will the EFP cause a lot of spalling after entering the hull and is it this spalling that is likely to cause most of the damage?

Those miniature holes have always been how EFPs work. You can see Bazooka/Panzerfaust rounds from WW2 that killed tanks and they also have those pinhole penetrations. They're designed to effect the maximum amount of pressure across the smallest amount of protection so as not to disperse their energy.

EFPs and modern anti-tank projectiles in general generate a lot of force and heat that can compromise all kinds of internals and detonate ammo&fuel, as well as deliver pressure and concussion that can wound or kill crewmen. Part of my work post-degree was working with how to mitigate the damage these kinds of projectiles can do to crew and passengers of AFVs. My wife will be the first person to tell you that I actually got kind of emotional when I saw the first reports of Ukrainian crewmen of destroyed Bradleys talking about how they got out alive following dead-on hits from ATGMs.

As far as everything else goes, a crew can just get lucky and get out of it or get unlucky, or end up in the grisliest possible outcome. My work was to make those catastrophic scenarios as rare as possible.

I think we've realistically hit the ceiling as far as modernizing Soviet designs goes when it comes to T-90Ms and T-84s. T-90Ms have to have so much of their most modern gear mounted to the outside or in ways that compromise other systems. There's a reason why Western tanks are so much bigger and why the USSR/Russia was always working on programs to increase the chassis size of their tanks, and it's not just because non-Russoviet designs need an extra Chad in the CC hucking rounds into the breach.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I know lots of former Warsaw members still have some Soviet military infrastructure left, but Poland is the only country in Europe with the complete Soviet tank infrastructure, right?

In addition to Poland facilities in the Czech Republic and Slovakia have been performing major repairs on Ukrainian T-64s and other vehicles since 2022. The state owned VOP CZ factory in Dukelska has done major repairs and modernizations on the T-54, 55, 62, 72 and now the T-64 as well.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 12, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1767293992423834057

quote:

"Ukrainian officials...told the FT that an attack by Ukraine at the weekend had critically damaged two Russian A-50 long-range radar detection planes at an aircraft repair facility in the southern port city of Taganrog."

Really a bad time to be an A-50 plane.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That, uh, seems like a pretty high value target

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ukraine lusts for A-50 death and I'm here for it, although the end of that Tatarigami thread basically says "we have no idea whether they actually got any of the A-50s or even did meaningful damage to the inside of the facility," which is a shame. They're going after those specific planes hard, hopefully it pays off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wonder if those planes were the ones they hit before and were being repaired or if it was one of the other six(?)

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Kestral posted:

Ukraine lusts for A-50 death and I'm here for it, although the end of that Tatarigami thread basically says "we have no idea whether they actually got any of the A-50s or even did meaningful damage to the inside of the facility," which is a shame. They're going after those specific planes hard, hopefully it pays off.

I saw some speculation that degrading the A-50's was in aid of the introduction of F-16's. I'm not sure exactly what extra capabilties F-16 brings to the fight that an A-50 specifically counters though, and I'm guessing anyone who does, isn't saying (well, maybe on the War Thunder forums)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

slothrop posted:

I saw some speculation that degrading the A-50's was in aid of the introduction of F-16's. I'm not sure exactly what extra capabilties F-16 brings to the fight that an A-50 specifically counters though, and I'm guessing anyone who does, isn't saying (well, maybe on the War Thunder forums)

Well, generally A-50's let the Russians have a better view of everything going on in the air, and help coordinate air defenses, is my understanding. So after a good couple of years of putting holes in Russian air defenses everywhere in the south, degrading the last few of them by blowing up the A-50's that help with their targeting, would definitely help the Ukrainian air force operate with a bit more impunity. The exact details of what it can and cannot pick up may be War Thunder material, but what a plane like the A-50 generally does is well known.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29369

quote:

Anti-Kremlin Russian Volunteers Infiltrate Inside Russia With Tanks, Fierce Battles Underway

A Freedom of Russia Legion representative confirmed to Kyiv Post that fighting occurs on Russian territory. Media reports suggest Lozovaya Rudka in Belgorod is now under Russian volunteer control.

Also we've got the annual Russian Fascists vs Russian Fascists fight going on over exactly what flavour of fascism they want. Rest in piss to whoever gets blasted in these struggles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Apparently Russians also lost an IL-76 to an accident today?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OddObserver posted:

it crashed in flames so, sure, accident

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1767527126041760255

quote:

Reuters article regarding the attack on Nizhny Novgorod oil facility:

Industry sources told Reuters on condition of anonymity that the main crude distillation unit (AVT-6) at NORSI was damaged in the attack, which means that at least half of the refinery's production is halted. Lukoil declined to comment.

NORSI refines about 15.8 million tonnes of Russian crude a year, or 5.8% of total refined crude, according to industry sources.

It also refines about 4.9 million tonnes of gasoline, 11% of Russia's total, 6.4% of diesel fuel, 5.6% of fuel oil and 7.4% of the country's aviation fuel, according to industry sources.

Those seem like some numbers big enough to matter to an economy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tangential but relevant:

https://www.politico.eu/article/parliament-sues-commission-over-unfreezing-of-hungary-funds/

quote:

Brussels vs. Brussels: EU Parliament to sue Commission over Hungary cash

It’s a warning to Ursula von der Leyen “that the rule of law can’t be traded for deals with Orbán,” said key MEP.

Apparently Orban might not be getting his money after all, despite it being used to bribe him into compliance.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

PurpleXVI posted:

Tangential but relevant:

https://www.politico.eu/article/parliament-sues-commission-over-unfreezing-of-hungary-funds/

Apparently Orban might not be getting his money after all, despite it being used to bribe him into compliance.

Shame, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Reportedly, a training flight ate a bird strike and while RTBing lost an engine completely (there's footage of a very blackened nacelle dropping off) before crashing.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

it crashed in flames so, sure, accident

If I got the location right, it was like 250km northeast of Moscow. Very unlikely to have been Ukraine, and I doubt Russian AA hungers for death of massive transport planes that far away from the front. Of course, everything is possible.

I think it's a type defect that the nacelles are incapable of containing fan failure, so a single engine failure can easily lead to the loss of the entire aircraft. A big bird could definitely bring one down.

Also, if it's not a bird, I think the likeliest cause of loss is lack of maintenance, there is a long list of crashes caused by that too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tuna-Fish posted:

If I got the location right, it was like 250km northeast of Moscow. Very unlikely to have been Ukraine, and I doubt Russian AA hungers for death of massive transport planes that far away from the front. Of course, everything is possible.

I think it's a type defect that the nacelles are incapable of containing fan failure, so a single engine failure can easily lead to the loss of the entire aircraft. A big bird could definitely bring one down.

Also, if it's not a bird, I think the likeliest cause of loss is lack of maintenance, there is a long list of crashes caused by that too.

It was both: The birdstrike was six months ago.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

McNally posted:

It was both: The birdstrike was six months ago.

I don't know if a flaming engine can be put on the deferred maintenance list

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Reportedly, a training flight ate a bird strike and while RTBing lost an engine completely (there's footage of a very blackened nacelle dropping off) before crashing.

leaving them with only 3 engines, not nearly enough to stay in the air. shame

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

slothrop posted:

It's a big flying radar that can see everything moving around within a bubble hundreds of miles across, so a pretty important target if you're planning on flying much of anything and don't want the Russians to track it and shoot it down.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

slothrop posted:

Here is my take on summarizing it narratively:

The F-16 is a solid 4th gen fighter. It's got a lot of bells and whistles - Onboard radar, OTH targeting, data link, radar warning receivers, etc. Its also fast and has a pretty small RCS for a plane that isn't designed for stealth. At the scale of a front and at the speeds the weapons move, giving your air defense operators and extra 60 seconds of time to think is a huge value add to the defense chain. Something like the A-50 is a high altitude airborne radar that can spot halfway into Ukrainian airspace. You, as a small person may think half of Ukraine is probably pretty big? An F-16 can cross that it in about 15 minutes when it comes up to speed to attack. Assuming the ground asset your A-50 is trying to help guard is directly below it, you've got best case about 10 minutes between seeing an incoming flight and a missile is in flight and you've already lost the engagement. But you really can't park A-50's over the battlefield because their sitting ducks, so you post them to the rear, so now instead of 10 minutes you've got 3 minutes. Still plenty of time since everything is computer based so long as your operators have enough coffee and are paying attention to the beeps and boops of their scopes. So the A-50 can click the new radar return screaming toward it, check the battlespace map, ID it as red, and send a vector to whatever S-300 site is around to try to get a shot off in time. The guys in the plane get data links to the theater management and they all try to keep everybody else updated on who is where and what direction everyone is flying and what radar returns are MiG's returning east to rearm and which are potential UAF and trying not to confuse the two.

Meanwhile the guys on the ground, with their S-300's and S-400's and the SA-5's and SA-15's and whatever else they're using now. Most of them may have one long range radar per battery, and its on the ground, maybe on a mast trailer that can get it above the treeline. That's still not at 30k feet, so things like Dirt and Trees and the horizon put an upper limit on detection range. Imagine sitting there for hours on alert, You get a call from the plane providing overwatch, UAF coming in from your west. You can focus that way, take a breath, try to pick them out from the noise and clutter since you've got an idea what you're looking for and where. You've got a human useful timescale to respond through all your firing checklists and procedures. Now Instead imagine you've lost your A-50 support, you're still sitting there for hours watching and waiting, and you get a return suddenly. Its a plane screaming eastward. If its friendly, great, if its hostile, you've got about 30 seconds to figure it out or you or someone else eats a missile or bomb. 30 seconds is just enough time to gently caress it up and blue-on-blue another Su-34!

The awareness and coordination value is immense.

This applies to the UAF's non-western planes as well. They get the same benefit.

So less A-50's is good on the strategic scale. More dehydrated and sleep deprived S-300 radar operators is good on the local scale.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 12, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Here is my take on summarizing it narratively:

The F-16 is a solid 4th gen fighter. It's got a lot of bells and whistles - Onboard radar, OTH targeting, data link, radar warning receivers, etc. Its also fast and has a pretty small RCS for a plane that isn't designed for stealth. At the scale of a front and at the speeds the weapons move, giving your air defense operators and extra 60 seconds of time to think is a huge value add to the defense chain. Something like the A-50 is a high altitude airborne radar that can spot halfway into Ukrainian airspace. You, as a small person may think half of Ukraine is probably pretty big? An F-16 can cross that it in about 15 minutes when it comes up to speed to attack. Assuming the ground asset your A-50 is trying to help guard is directly below it, you've got best case about 10 minutes between seeing an incoming flight and a missile is in flight and you've already lost the engagement. But you really can't park A-50's over the battlefield because their sitting ducks, so you post them to the rear, so now instead of 10 minutes you've got 3 minutes. Still plenty of time since everything is computer based so long as your operators have enough coffee and are paying attention to the beeps and boops of their scopes. So the A-50 can click the new radar return screaming toward it, check the battlespace map, ID it as red, and send a vector to whatever S-300 site is around to try to get a shot off in time. The guys in the plane get data links to the theater management and they all try to keep everybody else updated on who is where and what direction everyone is flying and what radar returns are MiG's returning east to rearm and which are potential UAF and trying not to confuse the two.

Meanwhile the guys on the ground, with their S-300's and S-400's and the SA-5's and SA-15's and whatever else they're using now. Most of them may have one long range radar per battery, and its on the ground, maybe on a mast trailer that can get it above the treeline. That's still not at 30k feet, so things like Dirt and Trees and the horizon put an upper limit on detection range. Imagine sitting there for hours on alert, You get a call from the plane providing overwatch, UAF coming in from your west. You can focus that way, take a breath, try to pick them out from the noise and clutter since you've got an idea what you're looking for and where. You've got a human useful timescale to respond through all your firing checklists and procedures. Now Instead imagine you've lost your A-50 support, you're still sitting there for hours watching and waiting, and you get a return suddenly. Its a plane screaming eastward. If its friendly, great, if its hostile, you've got about 30 seconds to figure it out or you or someone else eats a missile or bomb. 30 seconds is just enough time to gently caress it up and blue-on-blue another Su-34!

The awareness and coordination value is immense.

This applies to the UAF's non-western planes as well. They get the same benefit.

So less A-50's is good on the strategic scale. More dehydrated and sleep deprived S-300 radar operators is good on the local scale.

To add to that, if your ground sites are worried about anti-radiation missiles, the A50 lets them stay quiet until it's time to engage. Without that A50, they have to stay lit up around the clock if they're going to do their job.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

To add to that, if your ground sites are worried about anti-radiation missiles, the A50 lets them stay quiet until it's time to engage. Without that A50, they have to stay lit up around the clock if they're going to do their job.

lit up AA radars also make big RF emissions that are detectable well over the horizon, like, inside NATO controlled territory, where that sigint might usefully be passed back to Ukraine to do with what it will, like plan a strike package on someone's new S-300 emplacement.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1767818560074576051

quote:

Unidentified drones attacked the #Ryazan oil refinery in Russia, according to local media reports.

Russian authorities also claimed to have allegedly shot down 30 drones in the #Voronezh region and to have deployed air defense systems in the #Leningrad region.

It's a bad week to be the Russian oil industry.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Poland probably has the most complete Soviet tank infrastructure, yeah. They're also cooperating long-term with South Korea to modernize and build new facilities.

Ukraine has tank infrastructure, but much less than they used to. They had a massive arsenal of tanks pre-war, but most were in poor condition, and they had trouble manufacturing T-84s (improved and modernized T-80UDs) up to the present day.

Those miniature holes have always been how EFPs work. You can see Bazooka/Panzerfaust rounds from WW2 that killed tanks and they also have those pinhole penetrations. They're designed to effect the maximum amount of pressure across the smallest amount of protection so as not to disperse their energy.

EFPs and modern anti-tank projectiles in general generate a lot of force and heat that can compromise all kinds of internals and detonate ammo&fuel, as well as deliver pressure and concussion that can wound or kill crewmen. Part of my work post-degree was working with how to mitigate the damage these kinds of projectiles can do to crew and passengers of AFVs. My wife will be the first person to tell you that I actually got kind of emotional when I saw the first reports of Ukrainian crewmen of destroyed Bradleys talking about how they got out alive following dead-on hits from ATGMs.

As far as everything else goes, a crew can just get lucky and get out of it or get unlucky, or end up in the grisliest possible outcome. My work was to make those catastrophic scenarios as rare as possible.

I think we've realistically hit the ceiling as far as modernizing Soviet designs goes when it comes to T-90Ms and T-84s. T-90Ms have to have so much of their most modern gear mounted to the outside or in ways that compromise other systems. There's a reason why Western tanks are so much bigger and why the USSR/Russia was always working on programs to increase the chassis size of their tanks, and it's not just because non-Russoviet designs need an extra Chad in the CC hucking rounds into the breach.

I recall seeing an unmodified/refinished Panzer4 at the littlefield collection with a very small hole in its rear. The Israeli forces had knocked it out in one of their first wars and hooked it up, dragged it back to a desert armor lot and let it sit for 30 years before they sold it to the museum site unseen. Packed it up in a shipping container, sent it to the U.S. and let them deal with the mess inside of bodies, UXO and an uncut breech on the main gun. They did manage to find ID for the soldiers and next of kin was notified. At the time there was no decision to repair the engine and crew compartment and now that the collection is sold off I dont know were it ended up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1767924089576915119

quote:

The Wall Street Journal reported that the US Department of Defense is now willing to transfer longer-range #ATACMS missiles. Previously, the Pentagon insisted on retaining all ATACMS missiles for US military needs.

However, the US military can now use the next-generation Precision Strike Missile, as stated by US officials.

I would assume that means they're part of the ~$300 million package that got set up recently, because I can't imagine when else Ukraine would get anything from the US. This could lead to some fun events when they arrive.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1767924089576915119

I would assume that means they're part of the ~$300 million package that got set up recently, because I can't imagine when else Ukraine would get anything from the US. This could lead to some fun events when they arrive.

I get that the purpose behind loudly telegraphing any new equipment is to manage escalation, but sometimes I wonder what Ukraine could do with more range if the Russians weren't given ample time to disperse and dig in.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
On the other hand, if Russia is dispersing assets already in response to the announcement, then the missiles are going to have an effect on the battlefield before they have even arrived.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Putin’s new best friends are three (3) AA stations. They always travel together.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Jens Stoltenberg was rather blunt about NATO allies lacklustre deliveries of artillery shells and other things the Ukrainians need
https://metro.co.uk/video/nato-chief-chastises-allies-slow-pace-weapon-deliveries-ukraine-3146755/

'NATO allies are not providing Ukraine with enough ammunition and that has consequences on the battlefield every day. The fact that the Russians are able to outgun the Ukrainians every day, of course, is a huge challenge, and is one of the reasons why the Russians have been able to make some advances on the battlefield over the last weeks and months ... we have the capacity, we have the economies to be able to provide Ukraine what they need. This is a question of political will.'

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davida...sh=510aaef71d63

"Golf Carts And 1960s Tanks Minus Their Turrets: As Russia Runs Out Of Purpose-Made Combat Vehicles, It’s Getting Creative ... And Desperate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A.o.D. posted:

A HARM fired from an F-16 is far more flexible than one off an Su-24. The Sukhoi can carry the missile, and it can home in on radar emissions if you tell it where the radar is. An F-16 can go up, wait for someone to turn on a radar, and blast it. That's a much more dangerous situation for Russian air defense.