Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder when they'll introduce the gatling cannon/ammo backpack support package? I feel like it's been extremely heavily foreshadowed as a future part of our arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they should let you customize the weapons on the mech and make sure everyone continues to get a single mech stratagem forever

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

jokes posted:

I think they should let you customize the weapons on the mech and make sure everyone continues to get a single mech stratagem forever

id be down with that, all my friends are not a fan of the mech playstyle outside of defending hardpoints like extraction beacons, so often I end up getting bones thrown at me the whole match and have like 10-15 minutes of mech uptime. I've started bringing my buddies support weapons for them and asking them to bring the purchased mech stratagem in exchange even lol

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A backpack to reload sentries would be nice, TF2 engie style

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

hey mom its 420 posted:

Managed democracy is not s dig at soviet/chinese style comminism but a dig at western neoliberal capitalist doctrine

It's a satire/dig at any kind of authoritarian regime, which includes Soviet/Chinese communism (note: neither of these systems are truly Communist and are instead bastardizations of Communism, hence the use of the lowercase c for them). If you want me to make the parallel with Chinese communism even clearer, Deng Xiaoping's great innovation was introducing/espousing "capitalism with Chinese characteristics" which sounds an awful lot like the kind of "capitalism" being practiced by Super Earth. As a critique of Western Democracy though, I think it falls a bit short.

If you want to use terms like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" though, you have to realize that now you're starting a discussion about international relations theory. First off, there isn't any specific term like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" within the context of international relations theory. It's a gobbledygook term thrown together by stringing together a bunch of buzzwords in what I assume to be an effort to win Leftist Bingo. That's not meant to be a criticism of you as a person, but it's a fair criticism of modern political thought regardless of where you fall on the spectrum. Really, all three terms together reads a lot to me like "ATM Machine" - ultimately, they're all very redundant with one another and kind of silly put together like that.

Regardless of intent and actual definitions though, the point you're trying to make is that Super Earth in and of itself is a critique of just Neoliberalism as a whole, full stop. That's where I think it falls short. Neoliberalism isn't necessarily about the state itself trending towards authoritarianism. In fact, authoritarianism itself often runs counter to neoliberalist goals - neoliberals specifically do not want government interference in domestic, particularly economic affairs (as that would undermine private enterprise and free markets) and authoritarian states are pretty much textbook government interference in all aspects of life - be they political, social, or economic. As Neoliberalism relates to other countries, it's mainly focused on spreading democracy - ideally one similar to your own focused on deregulation and lack of government interference - to other states as a way to introduce instability/deregulations into the world. Said instability is fostered in order to maintain a global underclass as a source of cheap labor and raw materials for consumption by private corporations in the neoliberalist state and to maintain the state as the pre-eminent power in the world. You do have an argument there with their insistence on spreading "managed democracy", but the spread of managed democracy is less about having other humans with divergent political systems/thoughts adopt democracy and more about bringing worlds and access to their raw resources under the direct control of Super Earth.

That... doesn't really work when everyone is under the same government, like you see with Super Earth. Granted, we don't really know a ton about Super Earth other than that it's an authoritarian regime that is a democracy in name only. Again though, those two ideas together sound less like a satire/parody of a western democracy/neoliberalist systems like the United States and more of a satire/parody of Russian Democracy (which given that it is under the control of ex-Soviets is really just a rebrand of Soviet communism using a capitalist paradigm kind of like you see with...) and Chinese communism.

The fact that they like to use the term "freedom" a lot makes it sound like it's supposed to be a satire of democracies like the United States, but the use of lofty terms like freedom isn't exclusive to neoconservative propaganda and is, in fact, quite a common term used by authoritarian regimes. For example - The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (we've got three terms related to democracy/freedom in the name of the state alone, and I think we're all in agreement that it's anything but).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 11, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

jokes posted:

Change its loadout up in the Armory fo sho

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

LuiCypher posted:

It's a satire/dig at any kind of authoritarian regime, which includes Soviet/Chinese communism. If you want me to make the parallel with Chinese communism even clearer, Deng Xiaoping's great innovation was introducing/espousing "capitalism with Chinese characteristics" which sounds an awful lot like the kind of "capitalism" being practiced by Super Earth. As a critique of Western Democracy though, I think it falls a bit short.

If you want to use terms like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" though, you have to realize that now you're starting a discussion about international relations theory. First off, there isn't any specific term like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" within the context of international relations theory. It's a gobbledygook term thrown together by stringing together a bunch of buzzwords in what I assume to be an effort to win Leftist Bingo. That's not meant to be a criticism of you as a person, but it's a fair criticism of modern political thought. Really, all three terms together reads a lot to me like "ATM Machine" - ultimately, they're all very redundant with one another and kind of silly put together like that.

Regardless of intent and actual definitions though, the point you're trying to make is that Super Earth in and of itself is a critique of just Neoliberalism as a whole, full stop. That's where I think it falls short. Neoliberalism isn't necessarily about the state itself trending towards authoritarianism. In fact, authoritarianism itself often runs counter to neoliberalist goals - neoliberals specifically do not want government interference in domestic, particularly economic affairs (as that would undermine private enterprise and free markets) and authoritarian states are pretty much textbook government interference in all aspects of life - be they political, social, or economic. As Neoliberalism relates to other countries, it's mainly focused on spreading democracy - ideally one similar to your own focused on deregulation and lack of government interference - to other states as a way to introduce instability/deregulations into the world. Said instability is fostered in order to maintain a global underclass as a source of cheap labor and raw materials for consumption by private corporations in the neoliberalist state and to maintain the state as the pre-eminent power in the world.

That... doesn't really work when everyone is under the same government, like you see with Super Earth. Granted, we don't really know a ton about Super Earth other than that it's an authoritarian regime that is a democracy in name only. Again though, those two ideas together sound less like a satire/parody of a western democracy/neoliberalist systems like the United States and more of a satire/parody of Russian Democracy (which given that it is under the control of ex-Soviets is really just a rebrand of Soviet Communism using a capitalist paradigm kind of like you see with...) and Chinese Communism.

The fact that they like to use the term "freedom" a lot makes it sound like it's supposed to be a satire of democracies like the United States, but the use of lofty terms like freedom isn't exclusive to neoconservative propaganda and is, in fact, quite a common term used by authoritarian regimes. For example - The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (we've got three terms related to democracy/freedom in the name of the state alone, and I think we're all in agreement that it's anything but).

Same

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chard posted:

I wish there was a way to craft better samples, even if the ratio was absurd. I have more rares than I'll ever be able to use
same but in the opposite direction

common samples take way longer to get than rares or super rares. but especially rares, everyone who plays has an excess of rares.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The politics of this game are absolutely not thought through enough to make effortposts on them, please, let us all be the bad guys in peace.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah I really should have said other, not better. Commons are also in short supply

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wish higher level missions gave way more common samples. Even before you start needing the ultra rares you're kind of in the uncomfortable position of playing easy difficulties to get lots of samples or fun ones where you die and end up losing some.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I know in the end we all just wanted to get some curly fries and maybe a pack or two of horsey sauce.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

It's a satire/dig at any kind of authoritarian regime, which includes Soviet/Chinese communism (note: neither of these systems are truly Communist and are instead bastardizations of Communism, hence the use of the lowercase c for them). If you want me to make the parallel with Chinese communism even clearer, Deng Xiaoping's great innovation was introducing/espousing "capitalism with Chinese characteristics" which sounds an awful lot like the kind of "capitalism" being practiced by Super Earth. As a critique of Western Democracy though, I think it falls a bit short.

If you want to use terms like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" though, you have to realize that now you're starting a discussion about international relations theory. First off, there isn't any specific term like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" within the context of international relations theory. It's a gobbledygook term thrown together by stringing together a bunch of buzzwords in what I assume to be an effort to win Leftist Bingo. That's not meant to be a criticism of you as a person, but it's a fair criticism of modern political thought regardless of where you fall on the spectrum. Really, all three terms together reads a lot to me like "ATM Machine" - ultimately, they're all very redundant with one another and kind of silly put together like that.

Regardless of intent and actual definitions though, the point you're trying to make is that Super Earth in and of itself is a critique of just Neoliberalism as a whole, full stop. That's where I think it falls short. Neoliberalism isn't necessarily about the state itself trending towards authoritarianism. In fact, authoritarianism itself often runs counter to neoliberalist goals - neoliberals specifically do not want government interference in domestic, particularly economic affairs (as that would undermine private enterprise and free markets) and authoritarian states are pretty much textbook government interference in all aspects of life - be they political, social, or economic. As Neoliberalism relates to other countries, it's mainly focused on spreading democracy - ideally one similar to your own focused on deregulation and lack of government interference - to other states as a way to introduce instability/deregulations into the world. Said instability is fostered in order to maintain a global underclass as a source of cheap labor and raw materials for consumption by private corporations in the neoliberalist state and to maintain the state as the pre-eminent power in the world. You do have an argument there with their insistence on spreading "managed democracy", but the spread of managed democracy is less about having other humans with divergent political systems/thoughts adopt democracy and more about bringing worlds and access to their raw resources under the direct control of Super Earth.

That... doesn't really work when everyone is under the same government, like you see with Super Earth. Granted, we don't really know a ton about Super Earth other than that it's an authoritarian regime that is a democracy in name only. Again though, those two ideas together sound less like a satire/parody of a western democracy/neoliberalist systems like the United States and more of a satire/parody of Russian Democracy (which given that it is under the control of ex-Soviets is really just a rebrand of Soviet communism using a capitalist paradigm kind of like you see with...) and Chinese communism.

Oh word?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

1stGear posted:

The politics of this game are absolutely not thought through enough to make effortposts on them, please, let us all be the bad guys in peace.

It's very fun to be in a semi-hopeless situation and tell your fellow helldivers "for democracy", etc., like Aragorn at the end of ROTK before we bumrush a heavy hive with two bile titans

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Don't expect reloading/rearming your mechs or mech loadout customization, they never added that to HD1 for it's entire duration even though everyone was asking for it. Color customization might be coming though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

It's very fun to be in a semi-hopeless situation and tell your fellow helldivers "for democracy", etc., like Aragorn at the end of ROTK before we bumrush a heavy hive with two bile titans

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LuiCypher posted:

You do have an argument there with their insistence on spreading "managed democracy", but the spread of managed democracy is less about having other humans with divergent political systems/thoughts adopt democracy and more about bringing worlds and access to their raw resources under the direct control of Super Earth.

man you are gonna be shocked when you find out who is running super earth

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

1stGear posted:

This is absolutely 100% the case. At the end of the day, there ain't enough there and there doesn't need to be.

Just please don't throw out terms like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" though, it causes pain to the part of my brain that spent a lot of time and effort getting a Master's degree in International Relations just to see someone throw a bunch of words from the field together in order to sound intelligent.

turn off the TV posted:

man you are gonna be shocked when you find out who is running super earth

My money is on four balls at the edge of a cliff.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 11, 2024

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

flashman posted:

I'm like one for ten so don't feel bad. When they fix the spear tracking its going to be glorious

I genuinely wonder if it's meant to be mimicking real life ATGMs which use image recognition to lock and track the target. I've been using the spear a lot and it seems that fog/smoke make it have problems locking on. And getting a clear profile view of the target can also help it lock in.

Anway, I love it and want to marry it.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

jokes posted:

First game handled this by just having "Here's the mech with autocannons, here's the one with flamethrowers, etc." which will work until they add way more mech-based weapons and then we have 8 different varieties of mechs possible to call down

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Insert name here posted:

Scorcher + Stalwart is a really good combo for bugs for a dedicated "medium and below" setup. The Stalwart mops up everything up to warriors (and can handle brood commanders pretty decently) while the Scorcher can deal with hive guards, brood commanders, spewers, and can handle charger butts alright like you said (though I'd rely on teammates primarily for AT duty).
Yeah I've been thinking of making this my main bug loadout because it's very mobile and leaves the other three stratagem slots completely open for whatever the team needs.

I've tried it with the other MG before but it's a lot less ammo-efficient (it could use a buff in that regard to be honest) and anything it does well against the Scorcher can handle just fine, so the Stalwart really does seem to be the better pick here.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I genuinely wonder if it's meant to be mimicking real life ATGMs which use image recognition to lock and track the target. I've been using the spear a lot and it seems that fog/smoke make it have problems locking on. And getting a clear profile view of the target can also help it lock in.

Anway, I love it and want to marry it.
I doubt that it's anything that complex, I've had solo Hulks in clear sight beeline towards me from 100m away and the Spear just could not get a lock started.
When it works it's :discourse: though, agreed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think using scorcher on charger WP is still slow and bad, explosive tag or no explosive tag.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

jokes posted:

It's very fun to be in a semi-hopeless situation and tell your fellow helldivers "for democracy", etc., like Aragorn at the end of ROTK before we bumrush a heavy hive with two six bile titans

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

LazyMaybe posted:

I think using scorcher on charger WP is still slow and bad, explosive tag or no explosive tag.
It's basically one mag and you can actually hit the weakspot from the front if you aim underneath it. Not ideal but a whole lot better than nothing.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

What weapons are effective against the big bot eye of sauron towers? I ran up to one the other day and kept trying to call in a hellbomb but the strategem just did... Nothing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mainwaring posted:

What weapons are effective against the big bot eye of sauron towers? I ran up to one the other day and kept trying to call in a hellbomb but the strategem just did... Nothing?

Orbital laser or 500kg thrown very close can get to it. It always seems like strategems bounce off the area around it though so the laser is my go to.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Mainwaring posted:

In ascending levels of effort / luck.

Orbital laser, 500kg placed between the pillars and a walking barrage or 380 direct hit

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Ice Fist posted:

I had my first experience with a guy I accidentally killed respawning and killing me out of spite, and then not reinforcing.

If I killed everybody who killed me I'd have more friendly kills than enemy kills.

I’ve had instances of lower level players killing me for my support weapon. This is when I get vindictive. Some dude picked up an auto cannon with 3 shots left and no anmo backpack. Shoots me takes my flamethrower and goes to the upload data side objective. Higher level players drop strats on you and say gg in the chat.

Auto cannon incident irks me more.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I have such a powerful aversion to using other people's support weapons that even times where I've been scrambling for my own and the other player is dead, I won't pick up their gun. The idea of killing another player just to grab their support weapon is absolutely haram, cardinal sin, directly to 9 on the Creek.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 11, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Whoever talked about taking support weapons in exchange for your buddies mech that really unlocked a pretty nice anti bug strategy for us. He took our guns and called them in and we each took a mech for him for 12 total and our standard 3 strategems available. Continuous mech uptime with lots of support and we breezed through a series of 9 bugs

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I have a personal philosophy of weapons/equipment on the ground are free game provided the other dude isn't around or alive to actually use them, but to return them the moment they're in the area to not be a dickhead. Reminder you can ping weapons/equipment on the ground to let them easily findi t.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

flashman posted:

Whoever talked about taking support weapons in exchange for your buddies mech that really unlocked a pretty nice anti bug strategy for us. He took our guns and called them in and we each took a mech for him for 12 total and our standard 3 strategems available. Continuous mech uptime with lots of support and we breezed through a series of 9 bugs

yep, especially with the free mech right now its a really wicked strategy if you have a player who knows how to use the mech to its fullest! it'll get a little less viable im sure once people don't all have a freebie to drop, but still could be a good thing to coordinate with friends. glad it's working well for you, it's make Helldives with us very manageable

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Exodee posted:

It's basically one mag and you can actually hit the weakspot from the front if you aim underneath it. Not ideal but a whole lot better than nothing.
It might just be my inexperience with it, but with the firerate it has I've found it slow and cumbersome to do compared to an actual anti-tank option. And I don't really think it's worth it to have it as a suboptimal charger killer when it's so much worse against other bugs than many other primaries. The magsize and ammo economy are pretty dire when you're not fighting robots.

Mainwaring posted:

In many of the setups for detector towers, you're not allowed to place the hellbomb right next to the tower itself. You need to instead put it down a little bit farther away where the terrain actually allows it to drop, otherwise the callin just bounces off.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I heard the Spear lockon is allegedly more reliable if you use first-person view and that turned out to be a lie. This weapon is so loving stupid it makes my head spin.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Exodee posted:

Yeah it's definitely supplementary and not something you want to primarily rely on but it works out well enough in a pinch to be worth using, whereas I almost always ignore chargers with other primary weapons unless it's the only target around. I'll still take EATs to temporarily swap out my Stalwart for if my team is lacking in dedicated AT though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

1stGear posted:

I have such a powerful aversion to using other people's support weapons that even times where I've been scrambling for my own and the other player is dead, I won't pick up their gun. The idea of killing another player just to grab their support weapon is absolutely haram, cardinal sin, directly to 9 on the Creek.

you can always drop it for them. i always pick that poo poo up and keep fighting

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

LazyMaybe posted:

It might just be my inexperience with it, but with the firerate it has I've found it slow and cumbersome to do compared to an actual anti-tank option. And I don't really think it's worth it to have it as a suboptimal charger killer when it's so much worse against other bugs than many other primaries. The magsize and ammo economy are pretty dire when you're not fighting robots.
I don't think it is worse though? It one-shots the small ones, even multiple at once if they're packed densely, two/three shots mediums, and as a bonus can actually kill chargers in a pinch. Ammo economy is on the weaker side and it can sometimes take two shots for hunters if you don't hit them right but its gotta have some tradeoffs after all. Plus that's what your call-in is for.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

1stGear posted:

Be a bro: Defend your fellow divers' deathspots so they can come get their pack and guns back!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guns and bombs and airstrikes and lasers are cool and everything but the real thing that wins missions and completes objectives is trust, fraternity, and love. Killing someone to steal their weapons is as much a menace as the space bugs, the robots, and even the devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Waffle House posted:

Be a bro: Defend your fellow divers' deathspots so they can come get their pack and guns back!

i will throw the respawn stratagem on their corpse and mark their weapon so they can see it while they drop down in the pod