Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 04, 1962)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What's in the box?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Prickli

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/10/04

Brenda Starr 10/19/52

Smokey Stover 4/10/60

Everyday Movies 4/29/37

"Your teeth have been waiting here for you all week, Mrs. Knight."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/18/43

Yeah, it's basically the old "invisible conscience" routine again, only with arrows.

Closer Than We Think! 4/10/60

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

davidspackage posted:

lol, Winthrop is such a useless coward

The burden of being a CPA…

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(3/28/1994)

(3/29/1994)

Ziggy

(10/4/1971)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

I wouldn't go that far.

Bad Machinery

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I feel for that person. Boring racist is quite the indictment.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

OH MY GOD WE GET IT ALREADY

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

The current writer had a really good run with the entire multi-story arc in which Savarna was introduced, but hasn't done anything worthwhile since.

And that big arc was, no joke, 14 years ago. There's been one really cool bit since then that I can remember: when Heloise brought down the Nomad's jet by kicking him in the head during takeoff. But even that was over five years ago now.

(Are we all getting old? I think we may be old.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Double dose of THORN since I just plum forgot to post yesterday! September 19-28, 1984

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Powered Descent posted:

(Are we all getting old? I think we may be old.)

I mean, even before I got old I was kind of old at heart. Look at what I've been posting for the past decade.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 17, 1935)

Peanuts (March 14, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner, featuring what I assure you is the last day of the whole "organized crime out of a Chinese laundry" story. (January 23-25, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 14, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 16-18, 1944; spoiler for the Usual Reasons, and at least one other you'll probably pick up on)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 12, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's-your-father. Hairy blighter dicky-birded, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harpers and caught his can in the Bertie!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 12, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 13, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 10, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 3, 1919)

Messed up the speech bubble in panel 3

Us Boys(March 11, 1912)

The Gumps(April 9, 1917)

On April 4, the U.S. Senate voted to declare war on Germany, the House followed on April 6.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ah, two things I despise with a passion: Black Friday and 'War on Christmas' nonsense!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doomykins posted:

[quote="Doomykins" post="538286780"]
Tragic. What did Lee Falk have on everyone to push this guy so much? Were the first few years of the Phantom red-hot? And I wonder if he has a different market overseas, like how Disney comics and Donald Duck(and his superhero identities most Americans couldn't name) are bigger in Europe.

Fun fact: The nais banned importing new Phantom strips during the occupation of Norway because they didn't want to "aid the enemy". This lead to norwegians risking their lives smuggling new strips into the country and the newspaper making them look old so that they could print them.

quote:

Edit: Googling a bit it seems Phantom quality rises dramatically in different formats like comic books. We're reading the worst version that lets the author drag things out, most likely.

You're definitely reading the version with the least amount of nudity:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

nice

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 11, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

I am still a little worried that Evi is going to burn down the hanger for Esa's sake.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ah my favorite genre of K&K: In which the kid gets a Christmas present that is just the basic rear end food they need to eat anyway. Like if you woke up Christmas morning and were astonished and delighted to see a box of Cheerios alone under the tree.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (September 19-21, 2005)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

theironjef posted:

Ah my favorite genre of K&K: In which the kid gets a Christmas present that is just the basic rear end food they need to eat anyway. Like if you woke up Christmas morning and were astonished and delighted to see a box of Cheerios alone under the tree.

Back in the day your stocking would be stuffed with oranges and nuts so sure why not.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

theironjef posted:

Also the Cheerios themselves are sentient beings and you're going to eat them alive.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like K&K is just waiting for a reveal that plants are also sapient in this universe and there is literally no part of the food chain that isn't murder

poo poo, maybe photosynthesis in this universe also somehow involves murder, little cartoon photons screaming as they're used to synthesize ATP

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like K&K is just waiting for a reveal that plants are also sapient in this universe and there is literally no part of the food chain that isn't murder

poo poo, maybe photosynthesis in this universe also somehow involves murder, little cartoon photons screaming as they're used to synthesize ATP

They routinely carry on conversations with the tree some of them live in and the hedgehog one is a therapist for plants. Hell even Rudy's car is sentient.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

theironjef posted:

TBF I like getting my kids a giant thing of something they like wrapped up under the tree like those large tubs of cheese balls.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Doomykins posted:

Tragic. What did Lee Falk have on everyone to push this guy so much? Were the first few years of the Phantom red-hot? And I wonder if he has a different market overseas, like how Disney comics and Donald Duck(and his superhero identities most Americans couldn't name) are bigger in Europe.
I'm not vibing with the current artist on Phantom, but I quite enjoyed the story of the last arc - now, it did drag quite a bit because of pacing and the repetition inherent in the story, but overall I thought it was an interesting attempt to explore the character beyond what a villain of the year adventure would do. DePaul doesn't just know but is very interested in both Phantom and Falk and he's a bit pretentious so he's always trying to do something with the property - whether it's rehabilitating a story virtually nobody would know of that's behind a small piece of background lore, or writing a strip where Falk appears in Phantom (as he is wont to do) ruminating over where he, as both himself and the writer's stand-in, is taking the story. I like that when he references something weird or out of place, I know that I can almost certainly dig up an old Phantom comic it's from, because I think DePaul sees part of the Phantom being trapped in the 21st incarnation is this ongoing dialogue with 90 years of continuity, and I enjoy that aspect of communal story-telling.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Parsley in the Corner

quote:

Sadly I had to leave out a bit of fun with language at the center of this chapter’s title – she calls her special fried rice “onee-chahan,” a portmanteau of “oneechan,” big sister, and “chahan,” fried rice.
Also, some pretty economical storytelling from Q-Rais here – the way the little brother’s face lights up when he learns tonight’s fried rice has a little bacon in it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Sadly I had to leave out a bit of fun with language at the center of this chapter’s title – she calls her special fried rice “onee-chahan,” a portmanteau of “oneechan,” big sister, and “chahan,” fried rice.
Also, some pretty economical storytelling from Q-Rais here – the way the little brother’s face lights up when he learns tonight’s fried rice has a little bacon in it.

Made slightly more confusing because I would assume Parsley Fried Rice would have parsley in it, rather than a little meat.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Safety Dance posted:

Made slightly more confusing because I would assume Parsley Fried Rice would have parsley in it, rather than a little meat.
Yeah, I had to do it so it's named after her rather than what's in it. Heck, sticking with a clumsy literal translation and calling it Sister Fried Rice would have similar problems.

("You mean to tell me a parsley fried this rice?" "Well, yeah.")

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Should Feel Bad About The Serial Killer Billionaire Capitalist Why Exactly...?

"I'm worried about losing my friends as I get older." ":D You won't because of race science!" "Works for me!"

His British Son

Man there is just a well of Mr. Potato Head jokes Hillburn seems to have kept in secret away from the rest of us so he can tell a minimum of like 4 of them per year.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/13/52

Archie 10/24-26/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/3/77

Coming up next, Vera meets Ben Grimm?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
lmao Vera Valiant whips impossible amounts of rear end

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Stan Lee smoking writers telling serious stories when he's engaged in a months long joke. :allears: Whattatwist!

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: The nais banned importing new Phantom strips during the occupation of Norway because they didn't want to "aid the enemy". This lead to norwegians risking their lives smuggling new strips into the country and the newspaper making them look old so that they could print them.
quote:

You're definitely reading the version with the least amount of nudity:

It is interesting to see that the Phantom has some quality somewhere. It's an outrage that we're reading so poor and prudish a version of it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/3/77

Didn't see that coming.

LvK posted:

lmao Vera Valiant whips impossible amounts of rear end
I just had a vision of a Vera Valiant/Scarlett O'Neill crossover and I liked it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

At least we're going to move on to a new story at last in Mary Worth

Goddammit.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

So I don't know if I mentioned this but the strips from June 26 to July 3 were missing from CK, so if it seemed that story ended abruptly that's why.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

At least we're going to move on to a new story at last in Mary Worth

Goddammit.
Looking forward to the next arc starting sometime next winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

"All you have to do is say you're happy for him, and the pain stops" - Mary Worth

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 12, 2024