Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yeah, absolutely. Like every other chaos player, I have the underworld set, Khagra's Ravagers, not for their janky mini-unit AoS incarnation, but as a Sorcerer and 3 aspiring/exalted champions or potentially even Chaos Lords.

I just bought a second set of them the other day for exactly this reason. I already have them for shadespire, but I needed another wizard for my army and figured what the hell. Khagra herself is an easy character model and the two mooks will wind up as conversion fodder or unit champions or something.

I just have to get them onto square bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

OBR are getting a... tiger?

from the Adepticon Preview article

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I only see a good boy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
New warcry box or Underworlds. Seems unlikely timing for AoS main for anything but the Stormcast/Skaven in the new edition.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

New warcry box or Underworlds. Seems unlikely timing for AoS main for anything but the Stormcast/Skaven in the new edition.

The base doesn't look like the molded UW ones, so probably Warcry.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
GW likes sticking their little pets in Warcry in particular, so why not throw in a weird cyclopean bone-tigers with the Ossiarch warband.

With that said, the last few Warcry releases have been more obviously intended to fill holes in regular AoS so could be a hint there. Some sort of Ossiarch scout/skirmisher unit seems like the clearest gap? There was that one bone archer dude in WHU, maybe they could expand him out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Cause I like reposting stuff I see, some cool Blanche AoS concept art.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GhastlyBizness posted:

GW likes sticking their little pets in Warcry in particular, so why not throw in a weird cyclopean bone-tigers with the Ossiarch warband.

With that said, the last few Warcry releases have been more obviously intended to fill holes in regular AoS so could be a hint there. Some sort of Ossiarch scout/skirmisher unit seems like the clearest gap? There was that one bone archer dude in WHU, maybe they could expand him out.

Shame a beastmaster would be stepping on the recent FEC warcry band. A menagerie of hellenestic war beasts is the OBR style would be cool.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Shame a beastmaster would be stepping on the recent FEC warcry band. A menagerie of hellenestic war beasts is the OBR style would be cool.

now I'm trying to imagine an OBR war elephant

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause I like reposting stuff I see, some cool Blanche AoS concept art.

Always post Blanche.

It's really telling of how utterly hosed 2015 GW was that they got handed this as part of their creative brief and turned out AOS 1E anyway.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
gently caress yes that goblin is rad as poo poo

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Skragrott is fairly faithful to the concept art (aside from missing the pile of steaming mush on his back)

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Winklebottom posted:

now I'm trying to imagine an OBR war elephant

They’re crying out for something like that, something big and lumbering with a howdah/ballista on top would really fit their ancient vibes. Also not something you see in other Death armies tbh.

RE: the Blanche art, what’s almost surprising is how 1:1 some of the AoS minis are from the sketches. The Darkoath guy, the kharadron, Skaggrot.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So what do people think Sigmar lied about? The two theories I've heard is either that Azyr isn't as safe as claimed and there's about to be a massive Skaven/Chaos invasion of it or that there is no such thing as a "cure" for The Flaw in Reforging and that the Stormcast can only degenerate further and further with each death.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’m not a AoS expert at all, so what is the furthest a storm cast has gone due to reforging. Eventually just a silent killing machine for Sigmar?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

AnEdgelord posted:

So what do people think Sigmar lied about? The two theories I've heard is either that Azyr isn't as safe as claimed and there's about to be a massive Skaven/Chaos invasion of it or that there is no such thing as a "cure" for The Flaw in Reforging and that the Stormcast can only degenerate further and further with each death.

Isn't that the same deal with space marines

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

AnEdgelord posted:

I think it is both. I think the Skaven have figured out how to breach into Azyr and every other place and have decided to do so en masse. Also, Stormcast are degrading and may have been lied to about a great number of things. My buddy is convinced this will lead to more weirdo, "Empty" Stormcast like the Death Company for Blood Angels but who knows. Skaven may have also figured out a weapon that can destroy souls and that worries the powers that be.

All in all, I'm pretty excited for all the rumors of new Skaven even if my wallet trembles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ominous Jazz posted:

Isn't that the same deal with space marines

No cause Space Marines just die when killed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nash posted:

I’m not a AoS expert at all, so what is the furthest a storm cast has gone due to reforging. Eventually just a silent killing machine for Sigmar?

Some just can’t take it anymore and turn into during reforging wild lightning gheists.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He actually likes Archaon and wishes they could just be bros

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some just can’t take it anymore and turn into during reforging wild lightning gheists.

I kinda hope this is the route to a Stormcast Dreadnought equivalent, a super far gone lightning geist shoved in a giant suit of armor and sent into the enemy lines

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

JBP posted:

He actually likes Archaon and wishes they could just be bros

Nobody likes Archaeon.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I like Diederick though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I’m looking to start painting my SBGL, new to AoS. Can someone point me toward a reasonable starting 2000 point list I can use to prioritize my painting? I have:

Soulblight Gravelords
30x skeletons
50x zombies
10x Blood Knights
1x Vengorian Lord/Lauka Vai
6x corpse rats
6x bat swarms
3x fell bats
10x dire wolves
Vargskyr
3x Vyrkos Blood-born
2x Kosargi Nightguard
Radukar the Wolf
Torgillius the Chamberlain
Watch Captain Halgrim
Gorslav the Gravekeeper
Cado Ezechiar
Karlina von Carstein
Sekhar, Fang of Nulahmia
Crimson Court
Exiled Dead
Sepulchral Guard

Open to buying more if it makes sense. Local shop still has Vengorian Court Battleforce in stock as well.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Archaon lost a lot when he went from WHFB to AoS. He suffered for going from a hateful nihilist former knight who has managed to pull together a horde for the End Times to just another god who commands all chaos by right.

Moreover the mini was a real step down. 6th ed WHFB Archaon was an all time classic while AoS Archaon has aged worse than most other 1st ed AoS sculpts. Really chunky, angular and WoW-ish.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Muir posted:

I’m looking to start painting my SBGL, new to AoS. Can someone point me toward a reasonable starting 2000 point list I can use to prioritize my painting? I have:

Soulblight Gravelords
30x skeletons
50x zombies
10x Blood Knights
1x Vengorian Lord/Lauka Vai
6x corpse rats
6x bat swarms
3x fell bats
10x dire wolves
Vargskyr
3x Vyrkos Blood-born
2x Kosargi Nightguard
Radukar the Wolf
Torgillius the Chamberlain
Watch Captain Halgrim
Gorslav the Gravekeeper
Cado Ezechiar
Karlina von Carstein
Sekhar, Fang of Nulahmia
Crimson Court
Exiled Dead
Sepulchral Guard

Open to buying more if it makes sense. Local shop still has Vengorian Court Battleforce in stock as well.

You should prioritize your painting by doing 10 chaff at a time, then sprinkling in a character for a sweet treat

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GhastlyBizness posted:

Moreover the mini was a real step down. 6th ed WHFB Archaon was an all time classic while AoS Archaon has aged worse than most other 1st ed AoS sculpts. Really chunky, angular and WoW-ish.

I do like the Archaon AOS mini, but I think the problem with it is that Archaon himself is just a sideshow. He's just a little dude perched on top of a giant monster.

I don't really like how GW feels that they have to stick these hugely powerful lore-centric demigods on monsters because they don't seem to be comfortable with a human-sized model being extremely powerful. Even Teclis, a literal god of magic, had to be saddled with some kind of giant monster to turn him into a centerpiece model.

Just let Archaon be on foot and slap hard. Let him be like 500 points of murder hopped up on god-juice even if the size of the model isn't in proportion to it's point cost.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GhastlyBizness posted:

RE: the Blanche art, what’s almost surprising is how 1:1 some of the AoS minis are from the sketches. The Darkoath guy, the kharadron, Skaggrot.

The nighthaunt and stormcast too. Almost all these sketches map out to later AOS minis.

This guy is almost 1:1 the first sketch, except the shield

This guy is almost 1:1 the second sketch, except the fur cloak

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Geisladisk posted:

I do like the Archaon AOS mini, but I think the problem with it is that Archaon himself is just a sideshow. He's just a little dude perched on top of a giant monster.

I don't really like how GW feels that they have to stick these hugely powerful lore-centric demigods on monsters because they don't seem to be comfortable with a human-sized model being extremely powerful. Even Teclis, a literal god of magic, had to be saddled with some kind of giant monster to turn him into a centerpiece model.

Just let Archaon be on foot and slap hard. Let him be like 500 points of murder hopped up on god-juice even if the size of the model isn't in proportion to it's point cost.

On the other hand Gotrek is very funny as he is and having more guys like him would make him less funny.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Geisladisk posted:

You can't sell a 500 point murder unit on a 32mm base for $150, op

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't necessarily mind the Archaon model but the lack of a Slaanesh head bothers me.

Also Be'lakor is the superior centerpiece model

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't necessarily mind the Archaon model but the lack of a Slaanesh head bothers me.

Also Be'lakor is the superior centerpiece model

You just can't see the slaanesh head :biglips:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

wasn't the lore reason that Slaanesh was presumed dead/locked away in AoS 1.0?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, pretty much.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Welp, time to give chaos players more centerpiece models.

I'll gladly accept.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Welp, time to give chaos players more centerpiece models.
All rats, probably.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Winklebottom posted:

wasn't the lore reason that Slaanesh was presumed dead/locked away in AoS 1.0?

Between that and the abandoned Ynnari plot in 40k it seems like there was some behind the scenes thing going on with Slaanesh that no one has ever fully explained, luckily they seem to have managed to turn a potential squatting into a fun storyline.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

Geisladisk posted:

That’s the thing, he’s actually huge! Like big enough that folks have converted him on foot using Abaddon’s legs, and he’s already nearly primarch-big. But you’re right, he’s barely the secondary focus of the overall mini compared to the three brightly coloured monster heads.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Between that and the abandoned Ynnari plot in 40k it seems like there was some behind the scenes thing going on with Slaanesh that no one has ever fully explained, luckily they seem to have managed to turn a potential squatting into a fun storyline.

also some of the best minis of the last few years. Still impressed by how good the Hedonites refresh was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

AnEdgelord posted:

I bet he doesn't even like warhammers, it's just been too awkward to say so.