Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, seems like eldritch archeology featuring books and alchemy. A good fit for Rimworld! Looking forward to more details!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More weird rare poo poo to find would be welcome, more sites to explore too. One of the thing I like about VFE ancients is all the loot you can only get through expeditioning.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I do find it funny that Save Our Ship 2 couldn't get a stable release out on the workshop for 1.4 in time before another DLC and patch one inevitably breaks it.

I've tried the GitHub beta version and not sure why they've avoided uploading it other than it has incompatibility with a couple major mods. Seems to work mostly fine with my normal hundreds of mods list.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Genuinely a little vexed by the timing as I just started a multiplayer game and that mod usually breaks for a couple of months after a release...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Dickhead. Just as a stop playing Rimworld and start playing Stellaris..

This is the first one he's dropped that hasn't been immediately after I've stopped a massive Rimworld kick and moved on to another game.

Also, cheese.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
RIBCORJ

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The dark side of the planet is looking hosed Up and the objects in the rings look more like evil spacecraft than asteroids or something IMO. Definitely on team eldritch horror.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

finally.. cheese...

And this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It looks like her earrings are made from the same material as those asteroids in the background.

Also last week I had the thought "what if I did a nomadic run in the LP subforum." But then I had to start doing the calculus since the last expansion release and decided that I'd just wait until the next expansion launched and the mods were all updated again.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

How soon after the teaser last time did we get details?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

After looking at the teaser a bit longer I have to say- I like the two coats look. A duster over a lab coat, neither of them buttoned, with a cape on top of all that. I've got to say I'm kind of impressed that even with all that clothing the artist managed to give the character cleavage.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

layering confirmed?!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ten! Ta! Cles!

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

yay more stuff

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A jargogle posted:

Genuinely a little vexed by the timing as I just started a multiplayer game and that mod usually breaks for a couple of months after a release...

Rimworld is pretty good about letting you keep your game pinned to a specific version, but mods will Auto-update still. So for your multiplayer game just have everyone pin the game version and turn off mod auto-updates and you should be good... Maybe?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Rimworld is pretty good about letting you keep your game pinned to a specific version, but mods will Auto-update still. So for your multiplayer game just have everyone pin the game version and turn off mod auto-updates and you should be good... Maybe?

IIRC since the last DLC/update they made it easy for mod makers maintain multiple versions of mods for different patches. Like have a separate 1.3 and 1.4 version so you can in theory just keep playing 1.3 with 1.3 mods and the game will pull the correct version for the patch. Assuming the mod makers actually all follow that though.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
>sets aside $30<

I'll buy almost nothing sight unseen but this is different.

I'd say conservatively I've gotten 1,000 hours (out of over 7,000 in Rimworld) out of Biotech, what is that, like $.03/hour? That's, uh, that's pretty good. I'll go for a deal like that again I guess.

If it is Cthulhu then Nyarlathotep better be the loving man, #BLACKPHARAOH #HELIKESPEOPLE #DOESNTHE #HESAYSHEDOES #TRUSTWORTHY

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

QuarkJets posted:

You can also copy the entire mod folder to rimworld/mods to make a local copy that won't update, and then pin the version to 1.4.3901 and you should be golden.

I tend to do that even on the same version, had a few long games get wrecked by mod authors loving up their updates or decided to go rogue and add a whole new branch to the mod I am uninterested in, nothing sucks more than

"Initial Mod: This mod adds a recipe for cooking 8x simple meals.
Update 2: I added an ideology structure and new faction system to the game centered around simple meals, also a new end-game faction that will specifically land a 100,000 point raid if you don't have at least 300 simple meals."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It will awaken… waken. W.

Ribworld confirmed.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Ribwurlt

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ribbit

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ribbed

(for your pleasure)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder if there's a gameplay system as impactful as ideoligions and genes that even could be added to the game at this point. I feel like you have such control over the traits and culture of your settlement at this point that I'm not sure what could be added with as much impact. Even something like specialized pawn abilities was covered in Royalty.

Maybe it'll be something added to your map? Like interesting archeological/eldritch sites that add different considerations and options for how you'll set up your base around them?

I really have no idea what this DLC could bring, and I'm excited! I'm glad there's usually such a short turnaround between teasing a DLC and it coming out.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
More terraforming options and base biomes would be cool. I expect its likely gonna be adding much more lore since at this point mechanics-wise it would be baking-in choice mods. The book makes ne think it might lean more into the "story" aspect like having a colony history and lore

Mindless fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 11, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope there's a lot more exploration stuff to do, reasons to go explore nearby mountains and stuff with caravans.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope there's a lot more exploration stuff to do, reasons to go explore nearby mountains and stuff with caravans.

Yeah, I think the biggest deficiency in vanilla right now is that the world map is kind of bare bones and sucks. There's little incentive to do anything on it besides trade caravans and the means of traveling around it unmodded are far too basic.

A dedicated expansion around giving you reasons to go on the world map and adding functionality to that would be good. There really needs to be a vanilla baseline version of vehicles and possibly dropships.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There are insane deficiencies across the board in Vanilla. The game is almost unplayable. There's a reason why people install 300 mods to this game.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yeah, a rework of the world map and of factions would basically complete the game for me. I would be very surprised if that’s what we’re getting, so I’m not getting my hopes up, but we can dream.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My only trepidation with an expedition based DLC is that we already do have some expeditions and they always feel like a lot more trouble than they're worth. Getting a caravan together and managing combat on another tile is never going to be as fun as making your own base and dealing with outside challenges.

True, right now it's a pain and rarely worth it, but making it worth it won't make it not a pain. And it's not even that the interface is difficult or anything, it's just conceptually a lot of work for a player who wants to just manage their own base.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Just started a new playthrough... good timing.

Shot in the dark, but I'm having an issue where like 10+ colonist all of a sudden show up in my colonist bar and exist as colonists but are not targetable and don't exist anywhere and then I get spammed red errors about toxic fallout. I'm able to fix it by using character editor and teleporting them to my colony then destroying them... but it's a really weird bug. Just seeing if anyone else has run into this in their modded playthrough and know which mod it may be.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:stare: Never seen anything quite like that, can you share some screenshots?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Got shadowplay running now, def gonna dump the clip next time it happens.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm just gonna blame Prepare Carefully. :hmmyes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kestral posted:

Yeah, a rework of the world map and of factions would basically complete the game for me. I would be very surprised if that’s what we’re getting, so I’m not getting my hopes up, but we can dream.

Yeah I think world + diplo/factions are one of the really big obvious things that could be massively added to in any number of ways.

Then again the 'worst' Rimworld expac (Royalty) is still better than 90% of anything else released so chalk me up for another sight-unseen purchase, I think Ludeon has earned that confidence.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

isndl posted:

I'm just gonna blame Prepare Carefully. :hmmyes:

Funnily enough not using it, of the 300 I am.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've seen people say ideology is skippable, which is nuts to me ideologies are so fun to gently caress with

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah Ideology is tremendous, tbh I don't think any of the DLCs are skippable.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Royalty has the lowest impact in that I really didn't regret its absence before I had it. Now that I've got it, it's fine I guess. After my one royal ascension, I don't mind doing some minor nobility stuff in each colony, but I doubt I'll go full "escape to the Imperial Fleet" again.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Royalty's bionics are great, because they generally all have unique features rather than simply bigger numbers so they become central to emergent strategies (see: meat beacons). Psycasting is strong, though it can be a little tedious getting to the good stuff. Permits are all nice to have and should probably be used as a basis for what you can call allies for.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the other huge thing Royalty adds is the psycast system and a reasonable way for tribals to get very strong with that without just becoming tech people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Royalty was his first DLC and is easily replaced with RimMagic, and RimMagic is way more fun. Ideology should have been in the base game. Biotech is good and is done better than a lot of similar mods.