Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Ubel evil translates to “bad, ill, nauseous, sick, foul”

böse is the evil that translates to “angry, bad, wicked, nasty, mad, sinister”

Intuitively, you would use it if you were talking about "the lesser of two evils." That translates 1 to 1. "Das kleinere Übel." That phrase might actually be the most common use besides saying "Mir ist übel." i.e. "I'm nauseous."
To be honest, the word is a bit archaic and not quite as common in modern times. According to Wikipedia it's classically the exact opposite of all that is good. So Übel includes böse, but also everything else which sucks.
So Übel is just a more generalized version of the word "schlecht" (bad).

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
https://twitter.com/finalcake/status/1766940337715486985

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Something someone in this thread set off my tinfoil hat tendencies and made me think something about Ubel. Someone said something to the effect that Ubel doesn’t think like a human. And I’m thinking maybe that’s exactly what it is. Especially with how the flashback hid the upper half of her sisters head. And the whole scene where she meets Kraft and he figures out her weird plot to go on a murder spree but only in self defense. Or the contradiction of her having difficulty empathizing but having empathy powers. It’s almost as if she’s some kind of human-demon hybrid created as part of some plot who ran away. So she has the demon kill drive but the human ability to choose not to indulge in it or at least try and find ways to not feel guilt over it like the aforementioned “Kill bandits in self defense” scene. Maybe there will be a reveal where we see her sister had horns. That or I’m reading way too much into the girl being edgy.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

cant cook creole bream posted:

Intuitively, you would use it if you were talking about "the lesser of two evils." That translates 1 to 1. "Das kleinere Übel." That phrase might actually be the most common use besides saying "Mir ist übel." i.e. "I'm nauseous."
To be honest, the word is a bit archaic and not quite as common in modern times. According to Wikipedia it's classically the exact opposite of all that is good. So Übel includes böse, but also everything else which sucks.
So Übel is just a more generalized version of the word "schlecht" (bad).

Yeah my language translates Ubel into the word "slecht" (bad) as well and not our word for a more harmful malevolent evil (kwaadaardigheid).
That kind of evil correlates more to "Bose", and you shoud not confuse it for the dutch word "boos" which just means angry.

Watching Frieren as a dutchman is also funny considering how many German words still mean the same in the Netherlands (Denken, Macht, Lawine)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 11, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Rewatching the ep just to remember who decided to fight who.

Do you think Richter teamed up with Lawine to take on replica Kanne and replica Lawine because he thought he would actually be a good match against Lawine, or because he really just wanted to show Lawine that he could kill her by killing her replica in front of her?

Pretty sure it was a joint decision from the group but I feel like a part of discussion on who should fight who would definitely have him mention "well I was totally about to take these two solo but it rained and we won't have to worry about that here" and Lawine chip in with "ugh, fine, I know how me and Kanne fight so I'll go as backup"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Something someone in this thread set off my tinfoil hat tendencies and made me think something about Ubel. Someone said something to the effect that Ubel doesn’t think like a human. And I’m thinking maybe that’s exactly what it is. Especially with how the flashback hid the upper half of her sisters head. And the whole scene where she meets Kraft and he figures out her weird plot to go on a murder spree but only in self defense. Or the contradiction of her having difficulty empathizing but having empathy powers. It’s almost as if she’s some kind of human-demon hybrid created as part of some plot who ran away. So she has the demon kill drive but the human ability to choose not to indulge in it or at least try and find ways to not feel guilt over it like the aforementioned “Kill bandits in self defense” scene. Maybe there will be a reveal where we see her sister had horns. That or I’m reading way too much into the girl being edgy.

Every character's backstory in this show is fairly simple, so I would definitely say over thinking it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Also so far we've not seen a single demon have a "hobby"/craft that isn't magic - sometimes it's odd angles on magic like the fighting-style mimicry demon whose name I forget but as Flamme put it, magic is life for demons, they don't really have the social liberty to engage in pastimes that aren't magic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Ubel evil translates to “bad, ill, nauseous, sick, foul”

böse is the evil that translates to “angry, bad, wicked, nasty, mad, sinister”

This feels right because Ubel is sick af

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I read Ubel's memory as a sincere and cherished one that truly affected the way she looks at the world. She immediately referred to it when explaining her thinking because it was that core to her. And it carried just a little implied threat for fun. As a treat.

Ubel gets her kicks out of making people uncomfortable, but that doesn't necessarily rule out her ability to love them. I also read her relationship with Land as more than a hopeful transaction; she really thinks it's fun and funny how (little) he engages her and enjoys being around him.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ubel is proof is that not matter the time or age, some people simply cannot handle a bad bitch

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah she definitely leans into being off-putting in order to provoke people and draw out honest responses, so she can get a sense for how their heads work.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ubel has a whole magic that only works if she manages to empathize with somebody which means she isn't a sociopath or anything, at least not in the textbook sense. If anything she actually seems really good at picking up what actually makes people tick, and yeah I think is hanging around with Land not just because she wants to be able to copy his broken as gently caress magic but also because she thinks it's funny just how detached he is and is enjoying that she's getting an actual challenge trying to make him open up.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Ubel's flashback was neat.
hair is suppose to be cut, so it was easy for her.

The first time Sense attacked the girl in the previous, it was like okay, maybe she missed vital non-fatal spots.
Then she just blows a hole thru this other girl's stomach and chest and the guy's heart area? I was gonna say, no way that isn't fatal, but they covered it by showing that the golems also have top tier healing magic.

drat @ the final act of the the battle with Fern.
lol if Frieren used these spells again Denken in the forest, he just be like 'well screw this, i give up' right away.

Would have liked to see what the Method vs Fern fight was like for a few secs.

Method contributed so much, served as the explanation lady, can heal, and strong enough radar to detect every replica and their exact locations other than Sense and Fern for everyone else to go to, and stalled replica Fern for a bit.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 11, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sydin posted:

Ubel has a whole magic that only works if she manages to empathize with somebody which means she isn't a sociopath or anything, at least not in the textbook sense. If anything she actually seems really good at picking up what actually makes people tick, and yeah I think is hanging around with Land not just because she wants to be able to copy his broken as gently caress magic but also because she thinks it's funny just how detached he is and is enjoying that she's getting an actual challenge trying to make him open up.

I don't think it's a spell, I think it's just a weird trait of Ubel.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think it's a spell, I think it's just a weird trait of Ubel.

The way it's framed it seems that Ubel does magic more on a gut feeling level than on an academic level. She obviously knows a good amount about how magic works given her qualifications as a mage, but her signature spell is described as cutting based on what she can intuitively understand cutting and she learns other peoples' magic by "getting" people which is a thing nobody else we've seen can do.

As for whether there's some convoluted reason for it, dunno. One of the things Frieren the show has enjoyed emphasizing is that the world is big and history is vast. This arc's repeated motif is that the world of magic is one that's full of upsets, reversals, and unexpected outcomes. There's no real need for there to be anything to Ubel's magic beyond "she does it differently from most other people".

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Übel operates less like a wizard and more like a sorcerer. Though her CHA stat reflects a kind of off-putting anti-charisma.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 11, 2024

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

galagazombie posted:

That's an interesting theory and makes me recall Linie who could do something similar but with physical techniques.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Might just be me but I think she's just crazy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, crazy good

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Suddenly flashing back to Osaka with the knife in Azumanga Daioh.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

GateOfD posted:

The first time Sense attacked the girl in the previous, it was like okay, maybe she missed vital non-fatal spots.
Then she just blows a hole thru this other girl's stomach and chest and the guy's heart area? I was gonna say, no way that isn't fatal, but they covered it by showing that the golems also have top tier healing magic.

I was sort of running on the assumption that the Sense copy was unwilling to kill (although willing to inflict injuries that would be fatal if they don't use the drat bottle, idiots) in the same way that the Ubel copy was a little bottle-stealing poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
She just wants to see the world and meet people

Beyond that, ehhh she doesn't wanna plan too far ahead

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shinjobi posted:

She just wants to see the world and meet people

Beyond that, ehhh she doesn't wanna plan too far ahead

Pretty much unironically this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Shinjobi posted:

She just wants to see the world and meat people

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Maybe she just comes across worse because this is Sense's very biased retelling of events

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i like that her cutting magic that 'can cut anything' can't cut magic defense barriers because 'well its suppose to block attacks, so i can't cut it'

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

but she can cut stone walls

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

People cut stone all the time

It's not even that hard you can do it with some string and sand.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And she can cut magical defenses tied to materials, as long as the material can be cut. Which is a big counter move since mages don't go around enchanting full plate armor.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

RuBisCO posted:

Maybe she just comes across worse because this is Sense's very biased retelling of events

Don't worry about the bodies in the forest that Kraft found though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

The bodies of CRIMINAL OUTLAW BANDITS?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Entrapment isn't a defense in generic fantasy-land, sorry

(Hell, entrapment probably isn't a defense in modern Germany either)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dealing with bandits is a public service. You're supposed to capture them alive so they can face the kings justice but it's not a big deal if you have to defend yourself lethally.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Speaking of modern Germany, I wonder if the Frieren timeline is basically Common Era Europe

"Unified Era" = Roman Empire
"Goddess descending" = Jesus
-Unified Era empire collapses-
-1000 year dark age-
the current "Empire" = HRE, with the kingdom, etc. equivalent to the other European states
war with the demon king = the Black Death
the current post-demon king revival of (magical) arts and sciences on the continent = the Renaissance

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

She'll be hanging around with Kreig at this rate.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Guyver posted:

People cut stone all the time

It's not even that hard you can do it with some string and sand.

Stark literally cleaves mountains in half. For training purposes.

I kinda want to see a Stark-focused arc because we’ve gotten a lot of lore about mages and how they work but by all appearances top tier warriors appear to be nearly as frightening.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As far as the other examinees go, it has been a long time since I read the exam arc in the manga, so I had completely forgotten that Frieren's reaction to Methode is literally to go "ooooh!" and bury her face in there.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Jerkface posted:

This feels right because Ubel is sick af

:hmmyes:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

As far as the other examinees go, it has been a long time since I read the exam arc in the manga, so I had completely forgotten that Frieren's reaction to Methode is literally to go "ooooh!" and bury her face in there.

Hey I mean, if I was in her shoes: :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

And she can cut magical defenses tied to materials, as long as the material can be cut. Which is a big counter move since mages don't go around enchanting full plate armor.

I'm just assuming mages enchant everything at this point and thats why stark can cut mountains in half and jump 200 feet in the air