Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i hope when they add more vehicles that each planet has a freebie vehicle kinda like the mechs were when they were added

you can still take a slot to get any vehicle you want, but everyone at least gets a free one that varies based on the planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i hope when they add more vehicles that each planet has a freebie vehicle kinda like the mechs were when they were added

you can still take a slot to get any vehicle you want, but everyone at least gets a free one that varies based on the planet

even just having them on-map at POI's like the mechs were for a bit (and maybe still are? I haven't seen one spawn myself) would be cool

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChaseSP posted:

I have a personal philosophy of weapons/equipment on the ground are free game provided the other dude isn't around or alive to actually use them, but to return them the moment they're in the area to not be a dickhead. Reminder you can ping weapons/equipment on the ground to let them easily findi t.

Dear QoL Jesus, please let people open their map while dead or dropping. I pin people's dropped stuff more because of how annoying it is to be banned from pinning mine.

Waffle House posted:

Be a bro: Defend your fellow divers' deathspots so they can come get their pack and guns back!

:hai:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

How many pc players have stratagems bound to the arrow keys?

Makes running while punching in a reinforce drop easier, but it's a trade off.

I have a keyboard without a numpad so my arrows are a little more accessible anyway

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Has anyone had their stratagem menu just disappear? If so, were you able to get it back in any way?

I had it happen twice last night; I could still USE stratagems, but had to ask what the konami codes were until I memorized Reinforce.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

forest spirit posted:

I have a keyboard without a numpad so my arrows are a little more accessible anyway

Me! No regrets except I keep punching in WASD on terminals

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

forest spirit posted:

I use arrow keys to move and I rebound the strategem input to the numpad

My biggest gripe with the numpad is the game rebinds anything on the numpad to its numlock off function keys on every restart, so I have to rebind every time I load in. Arrowhead, please.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

forest spirit posted:

That’s how I do it. Having to take my hand off the mouse to punch in the code is, for me, preferable to standing still while using WASD for the code.

I’ve heard of some people using their gamer mice’s many buttons, but I’m an old fart who can’t stand more than two thumb buttons on the mouse.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2024

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Brain genius moment: maybe I can use my flight sim rudder pedals for strategems

Edit: maybe a 3 pedal racing setup + a mouse button lol

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

forest spirit posted:

Jerkface posted:

I use arrow keys to move and I rebound the strategem input to the numpad

My biggest gripe with the numpad is the game rebinds anything on the numpad to its numlock off function keys on every restart, so I have to rebind every time I load in. Arrowhead, please.
While I just use WASD, I've got the stratagem keys on numpad as well but just toggle the num-lock button beforehand. Kind of annoying but at least it works that way.

Also another pro-tip, if you rebind the map to something other than Tab you can open the map while running without slowing down or opening the Steam overlay. I guess you could rebind sprint as well or put it on a toggle.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I've got the stratagem menu on "hold" instead of "toggle" so switching to arrows would still result in stopped movement. It adds excitement to have to stop moving to punch in keys in a panic to call in support/reinforcements anyway.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I always figured everyone on PC had bindings/macros for the strategems set for a single key press while I'm running for my life trying to get the code entered correctly on my 4th try using the PS5 directional pad.
I'd like to use macros but I swear it makes the game just a little more exciting to have to try to type them in each time.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Kunabomber posted:

USB numpads are like $10 and come in wireless versions. Just velcro one on your arm for the true strategem experience

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

UFOTacoMan posted:

I always figured everyone on PC had bindings/macros for the strategems set for a single key press while I'm running for my life trying to get the code entered correctly on my 4th try using the PS5 directional pad.

I straight up consider macro'd strategems to be cheating, and I'm a kb+m player.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

If you don't have a foot pedal to use as your push to talk, are you really playing video games?

(I've never looked back, thanks Irontusk!)

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I've almost got the muscle memory down for reinforcing and that's the one that matters most.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

UFOTacoMan posted:

I'd like to use macros but I swear it makes the game just a little more exciting to have to try to type them in each time.
I just have it to "press" instead of hold, and have the directions on arrow keys. I can do a reinforce in less than a second while still moving by tapping ctrl and then hitting the directions with my right hand.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
simply use a ddr pad for strategems like a champion

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i set up a voice attack profile so whenever i want a 500kg bomb i simply yell UP RIGHT DOWN DOWN DOWN

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

i dont have any fancy split bindings, I just hit dive and then immediately start plugging in my strat codes. reinforce is usually dialed in before i hit the ground, the others I have radically varying levels of success with but at least i mitigate a lot of incidental damage

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'd like to customize my mech so the central chassis looks like a default Helldiver helmet, only huge.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i set up a voice attack profile so for example whenever i want a 500kg bomb i simply yell UP RIGHT DOWN DOWN DOWN

i love the idea that you wouldn't make the voice command something easier to say, you still have to remember the code but now you have to input it even less accurately via voice lol

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Exodee posted:

While I just use WASD, I've got the stratagem keys on numpad as well but just toggle the num-lock button beforehand. Kind of annoying but at least it works that way.

Also another pro-tip, if you rebind the map to something other than Tab you can open the map while running without slowing down or opening the Steam overlay. I guess you could rebind sprint as well or put it on a toggle.

I played a ton of NS2 so map is set to hold with the C key

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Reiley posted:

I'd like to customize my mech so the central chassis looks like a default Helldiver helmet, only huge.

this would rule

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

apostateCourier posted:

I straight up consider macro'd strategems to be cheating, and I'm a kb+m player.

It is not cheating, but it is weakness and undemocratic.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If people macro I really dont mind. I just hope everyone has fun

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i set up a voice attack profile so whenever i want a 500kg bomb i simply yell UP RIGHT DOWN DOWN DOWN
I hope you do this through an open mic as well :allears:

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.
Helldiver inputs make me miss Soulcalibur

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does the whole squad get your ship module bonuses, or just you?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Does the whole squad get your ship module bonuses, or just you?

The booster at the end of your loadout? Everyone does.

Edit: Ahhh, no I believe those are only for yourself. (the things you buy with research)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah just you. Cool thing is, whenever you call in your stratagems they all come directly from YOUR ship.

Multiple players use lasers? Look up and you can see each individual ship firing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

cyfad posted:

Helldiver inputs make me miss Soulcalibur

but how many half presses do i need

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

LuiCypher posted:

It's a satire/dig at any kind of authoritarian regime
Just snipping for brevity.

It's... a lot of things, in the broad strokes. It's primarily Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers with the serial numbers filed off... the game, as well as the first game, satired authoritarianism, fascism, imperialism, etc.
While one could try to draw more specific lines, most of the satire is going to be fairly shallow. It's always been a cool action game first with a funny satire flavor wrapped around it second (or even third).

I think it's also good to remember that Arrowhead is based in Sweden, which will likely inform the outlook of the developers.

The first game did seem to at one point or another make swipes at American Imperialism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE5dajo4r1U

The cyborgs are pacified by putting voting booths and mandatory voting, while the Super Earth Construction Company takes over the forges and industrial complexes while talking about it being profitable.

I'm having trouble finding the other two victory scenes over the other alien races, but in the end they're all generally imperialist.

From Helldivers 2, here's a video with all the parody ads that play in the destroyer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55G4zAL2WLI

There's a mishmash of a lot of things being parodied here.

Anyhow, whatever the case, the flavor is fun. And it is fun to speculate about it.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 11, 2024

Molrok
May 30, 2011

The marble blocks at the end of the tutorial, where you get your cape, contain the Helldiver Contract of Employment, which you agree to by being inside 15 meters of the stones for 1 second.

The contract includes stuff like:
- you are responsible for the material acquisitions for the Super Destroyer (cool reference to troops buying their own Kevlar during the Iraq War)
- you are not to disclose CONFIDENTIAL Super Earth intelligence pertaining to: products, prices, and seasonal discounts
- upon termination of the contract via you dying, your immediate relatives will receive 4.5 citizenship points (not exchangeable to cash equivalent)

There's also Appendix A which can be request for additional terms (to be delivered in standard 5 to 10 business years)

Also the terminal blurb at the start of the tutorial says it's Helldiver PRODUCTION, not training.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Helldivers 2 - Cool references to the Iraq War

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: I was talking to an old military buddy of mine and we both agree that the game absolutely nails the vibe of the Bush-era overly-moto dumb-gently caress recruit who wants to go win the Medal of Honor but ends up throwing the pin and holding onto the grenade. All-in total idiocy. :hellyeah:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Marcos? Sounds like bot sympathisers to me

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: I was talking to an old military buddy of mine and we both agree that the game absolutely nails the vibe of the Bush-era overly-moto dumb-gently caress recruit who wants to go win the Medal of Honor but ends up throwing the pin and holding onto the grenade. All-in total idiocy. :hellyeah:

Helldivers are all the guy from this old joke from the Soviet Union:

A man finds an old bottle, picks it up and opens it. The Genie comes out of the bottle and says: "Thanks so much for letting me out! I feel I should do something for you, too. Would you like to become a Hero of the Soviet Union?" The guy says: "Yes, sure!"

Next thing he knows, he finds himself on a battlefield with four grenades, alone against six German panzers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Legit Businessman posted:

If you don't have a foot pedal to use as your push to talk, are you really playing video games?

(I've never looked back, thanks Irontusk!)

This here is big brain poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yeah with the insane contract you "sign" and the hyper individualism (imagined or not) its very much aimed at capitalism/fascism. The crew even reference how they have to pay for their service on the destroyer, but if they get approved they will get a voucher that redeems their expenditures lol.