Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
oh i didnt hear about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cubs badding Jr

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

didn't realise that cuba was a nutjob

that kinda sucks
He likes to drink and not keep his hands and possibly other parts of his body to himself. So this is the only work he’s going to get at this point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
His career had been trending down ever since the Oscar win. He just became determined to never pick another good script ever again. By this point there wasn't much career left to destroy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Snowman_McK posted:

His career had been trending down ever since the Oscar win. He just became determined to never pick another good script ever again. By this point there wasn't much career left to destroy.

He was also like the fourth best nominee of the year he won.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
This is probably a good place to note that in addition to the other past accusations against him, Cuba Gooding Jr was just implicated in a music producer's sweeping case against P Diddy. Specifically, the plaintiff, Rodney “Lil Rod” Jones, claims that Cuba sexually harassed and assaulted him:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2024-02-28/diddy-lawsuit-sexual-harrassment-explainer

quote:

The actor who, Jones claims, made sexual advances toward him on Diddy’s yacht after Diddy’s “grooming him to pass him off to his friends.”

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He was OK in the oj Simpson dramatization produced by Ryan Murphy but I recall when it came to performance even travolta was out shining him

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
His performance was kind of minor, he was mostly passive outside of a few scenes. He never got lost in the role or was believable as anyone other than Cuba Gooding Jr. Similarly, David Schwimmer was also just playing David Schwimmer, but at least he did so in a fun and ridiculous way. Cuba was mostly just sorta on set.

Travolta's performance was pretty abysmal in terms of being believable or acting like the actual Robert Shapiro, but he was absolutely electrifying and extremely loving weird in a really compelling way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To me he was the weakest part of that series, and a lot of it is because he's so tiny compared to the actual OJ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only thing I ever got an angry email from my internet provider for pirating was the OJ Simpson American Crime Story show. As a result, I never got to finish it, but Simpson was so clearly guilty so I’m sure it ended predictably.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Baron von Eevl posted:

His performance was kind of minor, he was mostly passive outside of a few scenes. He never got lost in the role or was believable as anyone other than Cuba Gooding Jr. Similarly, David Schwimmer was also just playing David Schwimmer, but at least he did so in a fun and ridiculous way. Cuba was mostly just sorta on set.

Travolta's performance was pretty abysmal in terms of being believable or acting like the actual Robert Shapiro, but he was absolutely electrifying and extremely loving weird in a really compelling way.

Travolta gave a pitch-perfect performance for the show he was in.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember Schwimmer being really convincing as a guy slowly realizing that his best friend is a murderer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the Razzies used to be all in good fun but now they just give off bad vibes

They've been reactionary ever since the beginning.

Also even early on they'd be dumb as bricks like the time they nominated Kubrick for worst director because The Shining wasn't 100% accurate to the book.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

King really didn’t like The Shining because Kubrick actually did something cool with an otherwise just okay novel.

I also suspect that Kubrick wouldn’t let him cameo in it, as he was doing in all his adapted movies at the time.

Kubrick’s misunderstanding (?) of his own ending of that movie really bugged me after reading about it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah, the Razzies aren’t grounded in a good-natured acknowledgement of how movies sometimes turn out badly, or even an effort to laugh when things go tits up. They’re tedious and hateful and frequently go after people who have a history of struggling with personal issues.

gently caress the Razzies, is what I’m saying.

They had the great timing to make a separate category for those straight to streaming cash-in movies Bruce Willis was doing right before news of his aphasia diagnosis came out.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Drunkboxer posted:

They had the great timing to make a separate category for those straight to streaming cash-in movies Bruce Willis was doing right before news of his aphasia diagnosis came out.

At least they walked this back and I believe did similar when they were picking on the under 18 crowd.

But seriously, should've never made it past the meeting where it was presented as an option. Too mean spirited.

Professor Shark posted:

Kubrick’s misunderstanding (?) of his own ending of that movie really bugged me after reading about it.

Never heard this, can you clarify? Not very up on my Kubrick trivia

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King didn't like Kubrick's film because in the book Jack is more or less a good dad who gets possessed but then actually fights the evil because he loves his family. And Kubrick just makes it clear Jack is an abuser and lovely dad from the start. And since the book was King working through his own guilt about addiction and how it affected his family that annoyed him.

I'm guessing the thing about Kubrick "misunderstanding" his own ending is that he said the end photo means Jack was a reincarnation of past member of the hotel rather than just a new guy haunted and cursed by the hotel.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

King’s commented quite a few timed about why he doesn’t like the film adaptation and I get the distinct impression it comes down to ego.

As for the ending, yeah, it’s the “Another Jack lived in 1920 or whatever” instead of the “Once the hotel has you, you’ve always been here” thing the film lays out.

I think he just forgot after he moved onto a new project tbh.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

King didn't like Kubrick's film because in the book Jack is more or less a good dad who gets possessed but then actually fights the evil because he loves his family. And Kubrick just makes it clear Jack is an abuser and lovely dad from the start. And since the book was King working through his own guilt about addiction and how it affected his family that annoyed him.

This seems totally backwards though? The book has a big thing about how Jack hit Danny when he was hungover, and how him and his drinking buddy maybe killed a guy driving drunk (?). And IIRC Jack's own dad was a drunken abuser. So by the time the book starts we're all ready deep into the abyss of an abusive drunken piece of poo poo spiralling out of control.

You can form more sympathy for Book Jack because the perspective offers interiority to the character, but he's not a good dad, and an even shittier husband.

Film Jack however starts off fine, just having a drive with his loving family, he just descends rapidly once winter sets in. It's slightly skewed by Nicholson being naturally creepy as gently caress, but nevertheless

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6QgNuZcxTw

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This seems totally backwards though? The book has a big thing about how Jack hit Danny when he was hungover, and how him and his drinking buddy maybe killed a guy driving drunk (?). And IIRC Jack's own dad was a drunken abuser. So by the time the book starts we're all ready deep into the abyss of an abusive drunken piece of poo poo spiralling out of control.

You can form more sympathy for Book Jack because the perspective offers interiority to the character, but he's not a good dad, and an even shittier husband.

Film Jack however starts off fine, just having a drive with his loving family, he just descends rapidly once winter sets in. It's slightly skewed by Nicholson being naturally creepy as gently caress, but nevertheless

Its pretty heavily implied that Jack has already hit his kid in the first scene of the movie and the way he talks to and deals with his wife and kid is incredibly neglectful and intimidating.

Its been a long time since I read the book so I was probably wrong to just call him a "good dad". I'd say its more that King's version is a dad who sucks because of his addiction but who feels guilty about it because he actually loves his family. And the ending of the book specifically has him sacrificing himself to save them. The movie just makes Jack a monster who never actually seems to see his family as anything but a nuisance.

I love the movie. But its not hard to see why King doesn't like it and it doesn't have to be a either/or.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

I love the movie. But its not hard to see why King doesn't like it and it doesn't have to be a either/or.

You're the one making it an either/or if anyone is! I like both, it's fine, I don't give a poo poo if Jack Torrance is a bad dad, he's not my dad

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Probably should mention that there was a deleted scene: while Jack is interviewing at the Overlook, Wendy is talking with a friend about Jack breaking or dislocating Danny's arm while "roughhousing" and got fired from teaching for yelling at a student and how getting away to the Overlook will be the best thing for the family.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Young Freud posted:

Probably should mention that there was a deleted scene: while Jack is interviewing at the Overlook, Wendy is talking with a friend about Jack breaking or dislocating Danny's arm while "roughhousing" and got fired from teaching for yelling at a student and how getting away to the Overlook will be the best thing for the family.

Oh interesting I've never seen that. Surprised it didn't come up in that video-essay doc Room 237

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is that a deleted scene? I’ve seen that scene every time I watched the movie…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiDAieFCMsE

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Jack admits to hurting Danny while he’s drinking at the Overlook bar, but tries to chalk it up to a quirk of physics rather than being angry enough to break his own kid’s arm.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always thought he was justifying it. Jack sucks lol. Psychopath rear end in a top hat. Glad he froze to death in the maze lmao

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

I liked what Jonathan Glazer said in his Oscars speech. Very glad to see the director of a film about the horrors of the holocaust was not blinded by the specific group the horror was done to and was able to generalize it to modern day.

I didn't watch the Oscar's but I thought no one actually mentioned the genocide in Gaza

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

King’s commented quite a few timed about why he doesn’t like the film adaptation and I get the distinct impression it comes down to ego.

it's actually because Kubrick kept prank calling him in the middle of the night during production (not making this up)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol amazing

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

That had been an open secret a year or two before his family confirmed it and there's no way the Razzies hadn't heard of it before deciding to make that "joke."

Shageletic posted:

I didn't watch the Oscar's but I thought no one actually mentioned the genocide in Gaza

Jonathan Glazer did it after The Zone of Interest won Best International Film. Curiously, it and the Best Sound award the film also won are the only acceptance speeches the Academy has not uploaded to their YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ymiyNmr1WY

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2024

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i dunno what would be funnier: if they were extra mean or of the "refrigerator is running" variety

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

No, Glazer explicitly mentioned Gaza in his speech.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

No, Glazer explicitly mentioned Gaza in his speech.

Ah cool

Pirate Jet posted:

Jonathan Glazer did it after The Zone of Interest won Best International Film. Curiously, it and the Best Sound award the film also won are the only acceptance speeches the Academy has not uploaded to their YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ymiyNmr1WY

Not so cool

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Not so cool

drat, didn't see that. Cowardly bullshit there.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

CelticPredator posted:

Is that a deleted scene? I’ve seen that scene every time I watched the movie…

I think this scene was one of those excised from the shorter European cut. I'd never seen those cut sequences until the 4K UHD release, which is the 30 min longer US cut. I prefer the shorter cut myself as the US one feels a bit too long and some shots in the finale kind of bash the viewer over the head with "Ghosts!!".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, didn't see that. Cowardly bullshit there.

Between that and the broadcast pixellating out the pro-ceasefire pins all night.... Absolutely loving garbage behaviour from a group of morally-bankrupt dullards. But ... That's Hollywood!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Riflen posted:

I think this scene was one of those excised from the shorter European cut. I'd never seen those cut sequences until the 4K UHD release, which is the 30 min longer US cut. I prefer the shorter cut myself as the US one feels a bit too long and some shots in the finale kind of bash the viewer over the head with "Ghosts!!".

Yeah, I was confused recently because I had seen it on streaming somewhere and it didn't have this scene, but I had remembered seeing it at some point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Failed Imagineer posted:

Between that and the broadcast pixellating out the pro-ceasefire pins all night.... Absolutely loving garbage behaviour from a group of morally-bankrupt dullards. But ... That's Hollywood!

Pixellating out the pro-ceasefire pins, but including a neonazi in their in their In Memoriam. Pathetic organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

didn't realise that cuba was a nutjob

that kinda sucks

I don’t think he’s faking the face in that poster, that’s just Cuba Gooding Jr now