Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MechaX posted:

Got to Upper Junon. I feel like the game is cool, but I am not enjoying it to a phenomenal extent as some others. Still mostly having a good time. Some of my minor gripes:

1. Fort Condor started off neat but the last two maps really sucked
2. Yeah I don’t think there are any I-frames in the dodge, so I end up getting clipped by some fatass attack hitboxes. Trying to train myself to guard more
3. This game has entirely too much Chadley, kid I’m going to need you, and your friend, to dial it back a little, I feel like he has had quadruple more voiced lines than any one of my party members at this point

I’ve been pushing the story myself and I think that part of it has been more fun for me over any minigames and stuff. I don’t mind all the games and if I need to do one because the story requires I will but I think I’m alright skipping them for the first playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

MechaX posted:

Got to Upper Junon. I feel like the game is cool, but I am not enjoying it to a phenomenal extent as some others. Still mostly having a good time. Some of my minor gripes:

2. Yeah I don’t think there are any I-frames in the dodge, so I end up getting clipped by some fatass attack hitboxes. Trying to train myself to guard more
3. This game has entirely too much Chadley, kid I’m going to need you, and your friend, to dial it back a little, I feel like he has had quadruple more voiced lines than any one of my party members at this point

There are I frames, but guarding is more consistent. I haven't seen a dodge buff materia, but guard gets one and it's never left my Cloud. And yeah, Chadley is kind of an insanely omnipotent cruise director. I just take him as a gameplay consideration and don't let it affect my opinion of the story, but his ever presence could make the journey seem a lot smaller and less mysterious. They do some fun stuff with him that isn't just the Intel dialogue too.

But yeah, Upper Junon was a sequence of pure ecstasy for me. Try to do your troops proud.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Go Gaga or whatever it’s called just has me sliding off the open world stuff now. Absolutely awful traversal

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

like in chapter 2, i fight the snake and it was just me getting smacked around, and any atb i had was being spent on cure or potions. having atb tied to items just sucks cause if one member gets KO'd well, its gameover cause you need atb to phoenix down them and if they died in the first place, its cause you didn't have any to heal them, its gonna delay everything and you should just restart the battle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You get a materia soon that lets you use items occasionally without using up ATB it's pretty handy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Massive presumably tail end of the game spoilers spoilers: just hit chapter 14 and what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh cool easy enough

*sees a hand drawn map* gently caress

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm trying to sort of skim the thread and avoid stuff where I can, but can anyone help me with Gears and Gambits? It's... not fun. I've beaten the first two so far and really just want to move on with the Protorelic stuff. Any tips that would help speed that along?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Levantine posted:

I'm trying to sort of skim the thread and avoid stuff where I can, but can anyone help me with Gears and Gambits? It's... not fun. I've beaten the first two so far and really just want to move on with the Protorelic stuff. Any tips that would help speed that along?

Set the difficulty to easy and use the Auto Builds.

Optionally also replace one of your bot profiles with one that just has Missile, Reduced Cost and Reduced Cost + HP and deploy millions of them, which isn't optimal but is funny and sometimes even feels good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Levantine posted:

you can press a button in the set-up screen to have the game automatically pick gambits for you, do that and then in the actual battle just match elemental weaknesses and you should be fine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got the Jules stuff myself and made this dumb thing. Enjoy!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fedule posted:

Set the difficulty to easy and use the Auto Builds.

Optionally also replace one of your bot profiles with one that just has Missile, Reduced Cost and Reduced Cost + HP and deploy millions of them, which isn't optimal but is funny and sometimes even feels good.

Well drat, Easy affects it? Don't mind if I do! Thank you.

Augus posted:

you can press a button in the set-up screen to have the game automatically pick gambits for you, do that and then in the actual battle just match elemental weaknesses and you should be fine.

Are the gambits it auto-sets capable of doing the later matches?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The autoset gambits are able to do the non-hardmodes. The hardmodes take some tinkering

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Levantine posted:

Are the gambits it auto-sets capable of doing the later matches?

yeah it specifically optimizes your gambits for the specific opponents you're up against.
I did one round normally and then decided I didn't want to devote the brainpower to this and just mashed auto for every match and got through each one first try

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Augus posted:

yeah it specifically optimizes your gambits for the specific opponents you're up against.
I did one round normally and then decided I didn't want to devote the brainpower to this and just mashed auto for every match and got through each one first try

Perfect, thank you for that. I've enjoyed most of the minigames (despite the sheer volume) up to this point but G&G just feels clunky and isn't doing it for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I’m right at the end of the game at what I assume is right before the last battle of chapter 14, and I’m being given warning messages about a point of no return. Lemme make a few predictions for how the rest of the game will go.

My guess is that Aerith is still going to die. There’s no way she doesn’t. That moment is video game 9/11 and I bet a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth would ensue if they hosed with it. But I bet the circumstances will change, or how it happens will change, because the game is really playing up defying fate and destiny and all sorts of multiversal poo poo and you don’t just do that for no reason. It’s trying to do something, but I have no idea what.

I’m right before the altar in the Forgotten Capital. Here we fuckin goooooo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even though I saw it coming it's still funny as hell to play and lose to a card playing chocobo.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I lost it when I got to that one and they said they're going to be on the same TV show as the dog

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The dodges vary in iframes from character to character. You can tell when they are by the part of the animation here your character is blurred. The less blur time the less iframes. Compare Barrett to chi level 3 Tifa for a sharp contrast.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just experienced the Red XIII bit on the ship and I don't think I've ever been more speechless. Absolutely incredible

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Macaluso posted:

I just experienced the Red XIII bit on the ship and I don't think I've ever been more speechless. Absolutely incredible

It's kinda amazing how someone in the dev team looked at the scene in OG FF7 and this is what they came up with.

I want more of this in FF17.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

It is the best moonwalking scene since DMCV.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Two questions about Johnny's Treasure Trove:

1. Is it possible to finish it on a first playthrough? I suspect the answer is no.

2. In terms of gameplay, how good is the reward?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cosmo Canyon's vibes are immaculate

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Harrow posted:

Ah I found the lines I as thinking of

So I'm going to be a little poo poo here and say my honest thoughts, even though I don't like the idea myself. I'm almost certain that's just a translation error. I can't speak or read Japanese and I haven't looked into it myself, but it feels like the kind of thing a translator is making more cryptic than it actually is. I'm pretty sure their world just blowed up

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solus posted:

Go Gaga or whatever it’s called just has me sliding off the open world stuff now. Absolutely awful traversal

I just walked away from the region and I'll never return unless I use a guide to do it for the sake of completing it. On arrival I loved it because you felt like you were in a cool wild place and it was a trek with dialogue and fun music. Then I was on Chocobo trying to find a bouncy mushroom to activate a tower for like five minutes and went gently caress this, straight to the next area.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

Cosmo Canyon's vibes are immaculate

Huge improvement coming off Gongaga imo. Loving this place

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Yuffie reminds me so much of Zell. As a kid when I played FF8 over two decades ago, I enjoyed Zell as a character. I can see why people called him annoying on the GameFAQs forums back in the day even though I enjoyed him as a kid lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blockhouse posted:

The dodges vary in iframes from character to character. You can tell when they are by the part of the animation here your character is blurred. The less blur time the less iframes. Compare Barrett to chi level 3 Tifa for a sharp contrast.

Wait does her dodge change with chi level?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

Wait does her dodge change with chi level?

Yep faster goes further and has more iframes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the game! I’ll take my thoughts to the spoiler thread.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I beat the final protorelic section and I’ve ticked off all the icons everywhere so now the only thing left to do because I’m not a masochist who’s gonna put themselves through the brutal VR challenge bullshit or hard mode is win the chocobo thing and complete the game.

That final protorelic sequence doesnt gently caress around, although I was level 50 going in against a recommended level of 65 so that’s probably mostly on me. Gilgamesh was a fun fight though!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
The ending battle(s) are god damned amazing if nothing else and they really made an amazing set piece out of it all.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Solus posted:

Go Gaga or whatever it’s called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pzv0k0RkYE

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Literally shaking and crying rn thinking about those ugly rear end Moogles and their awful minigame

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Gologle posted:

Literally shaking and crying rn thinking about those ugly rear end Moogles and their awful minigame

Cry more, kupo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

For all the minigames, I can't believe there isn't a fishing minigame.

Fishing in part 3 or we riot. :colbert:

Fedule posted:

Okay it's explain what I missed time again. Towards the end of Chapter 13 there are some trials. What was the point of literally any part of the sequence between the end of the Turks fight and the start of the Cetra loredump? We sit through six entire flashbacks and learn absolutely nothing new, not us, not the team as individuals or the team as a team gain any new perspective or insight as a result, the sum total of any of it is that we get to see Myrna I guess, and people who skipped Intermission get to see Sonon, but why? Aerith leads it into this incredibly forced sounding speech about always looking to the future. It seems they intended for Cloud's comment right after to come off incredibly insensitive, but to be frank he had a point. It seems like that whole room should have just been cut. Why did they script, write and animate all of that, when they could have done literally anything else, including nothing?

This poo poo was terrible and absolutely killed the pacing for the rest of the game for me. The extremely long dungeon before that certainly didn't help either.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

gently caress fishing there’s never been a good fishing minigame in any game ever, fishing absolutely loving sucks

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Gologle posted:

they are an abomination to the planet and life stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

MechaX posted:

you get to escape chadley for a few hours. Just enough to mostly forget him, just enough that it hurts the most that he pops up again