Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I think in one of her interviews she says she’s taught children’s classes in the past, I want to say it was yoga or art. Maybe both? But she clearly has experience handling kids getting frustrated and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think all the comedy from this is over tbh. Wonka got milkshake ducked, it seems like the Loompas were just people in their 20s trying to make ends meet and making the best for the kids, and the guy who arranged it is clearly some Ai huckster who won't learn his lesson and will be back to GBS in a couple of weeks. It was really funny while it lasted and I hope I never learn anything else about the part-time actors involved, and that they move on with their lives and have learned from the experience. :)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Wonka got milkshake ducked

i know what this means but lmfao at this phrasing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the unknown still hasnt gotten her bag yet

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alan Smithee posted:

the unknown still hasnt gotten her bag yet

Her own fault for hiding in the walls IMO.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

This Black Flag parody shirt is too much.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Disco Pope posted:

:lol:

030924_3
Mar 9, 2024

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Unknown is only 16. I hope she doesn’t get screwed out of her bag and flowers for this.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

Ha ha! Holy poo poo, nice catch!

030924_3
Mar 9, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think part of what gets me is that £35 per entrant really isn't enough to fund or subsidize what was promised, which really should have been the first red flag.

100 people makes it £3500 which covers the price of renting a venue, but assuming you're actually paying staff that doesn't leave a lot left over for decorating tbh. it kind of feels very clear that he pocketed 2/3rds and tried to do the event on the rest of the budget, lol.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 11, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

alexandriao posted:

I think part of what gets me is that £35 per entrant really isn't enough to fund or subsidize what was promised, which really should have been the first red flag.

100 people makes it £350 which is barely the price of renting a venue, let alone staffing and decoration and so on. I'd really be surprised if the guy who made it broke even, even with the meagre bullshit he was able to set up.

lol, that is very little money.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

alexandriao posted:

100 people makes it £350 which is barely the price of renting a venue, let alone staffing and decoration and so on. I'd really be surprised if the guy who made it broke even, even with the meagre bullshit he was able to set up.

He got around it by not paying anyone.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
....you nay wanna double check your math there

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah i went back and edited it when i realised but of course everyone is fast on the draw lol

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
Fyre Festival is still my favorite disastrous event, but second place is pretty close now between DashCon and Willy's Chocolate Experience. Just amazing, amazing trainwrecks.

DashCon 2014
- Disorganized, mismanaged disaster
- Short-term cancellations of performances and panels people had paid money for
- People singing "We are the Champions" while they are being scammed
- "An extra hour in the ball pit" as compensation
- Attendees and staff taking the piss afterwards
- Organizers crying while apologizing on camera

Willy's Chocolate Experience 2024
- Abandoned warehouse with cheap props and costumes ordered from online stores
- AI-generated website and event script that was quickly abandoned
- Meth Lab Oompa Loompa
- The Unknown scaring children so badly they start to cry
- Organizer crying while apologizing on camera

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a scam to me so much as a guy who underestimated how difficult other people's jobs are. Event planner is one of those jobs where if you do a great job it looks like you didn't do anything at all.

Get AI to write you a script and mock up some advertising. Book an inexpensive venue. Rent some decorations. Hire a few entertainers. Buy a few bags of jelly beans and some store brand lemonade. Easy peasy.

He probably lost money even before the refunds. Math is clearly not his strong point since he ran out of jelly beans. There's no excuse for that. He should know how many tickets he sold and be able to determine approximately how many jelly beans are in a bag and therefore how many bags he needs to provide every kid the promised Tasty Teat of 2 jelly beans.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

OP reminds me of the Mr.Show skit where they start a Make a Wish and the kid wants to see snow, their water is turned off, so they just pour some cola in ice cube trays lol

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Less Is Definitely posted:

Fyre Festival is still my favorite disastrous event, but second place is pretty close now between DashCon and Willy's Chocolate Experience. Just amazing, amazing trainwrecks.

DashCon 2014

- Meth Lab Oompa Loompa

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the deal between the venue and the dashcon organisers? I remember there also being some really weird poo poo where they had to raise $20k or so within 24 hours or the venue was going to cancel the event halfway through. I'm honestly 50/50 on this being the organisers not reading their emails properly and getting the cost of hire wrong, or the venue scamming the organisers/attendees.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

100 people makes it £3500 which covers the price of renting a venue, but assuming you're actually paying staff that doesn't leave a lot left over for decorating tbh. it kind of feels very clear that he pocketed 2/3rds and tried to do the event on the rest of the budget, lol.

Wait, were there only 100 tickets sold? lol

There was some discussion some ways back that this is essentially the same formula as a little kids' haunted house setup: you hang up some black curtains and dim the lights, set up some backdrops and props, put up some funky lights, hand out some candy. Not terribly convincing but the kids aren't really going to complain because they're 5 and they just got candy. Doesn't take much budget and can make some decent money, but probably depends on getting more than customers through than that unless you own the building and are just doing it for kicks. Still hilarious that the guy couldn't even clear that low bar.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

There were 850 transactions, that's not tickets sold but transactions so the number is probably about 1700 tickets sold so like 60k

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, but when you have to give three jellybeans and a quarter of a soda can to every kid the expenses start piling up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just order the candy in bulk from a restaurant supply store, 25 pounds of reeces pieces is $100, that should cover a lot of kids

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Less Is Definitely posted:

DashCon 2014

- Meth Lab Oompa Loompa

The recent Bored Apes NFT convention where the attendees got eye damage from unshielded UV sterilization lamps has far exceeded any possible contender.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Klyith posted:

The recent Bored Apes NFT convention where the attendees got eye damage from unshielded UV sterilization lamps has far exceeded any possible contender.
What took the wind out of my sails for that one was it more than likely a hire company that gave them out as COOL LIGHT rather them asking for the eye-burning UV lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DlfLthx89E

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tarkus posted:

There were 850 transactions, that's not tickets sold but transactions so the number is probably about 1700 tickets sold so like 60k

holy poo poo i take everything back he definitely pocketed the money and ran

was it a rich area of glasgow? maybe we can frame him as ai man robin hood

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Tunicate posted:

Just order the candy in bulk from a restaurant supply store, 25 pounds of reeces pieces is $100, that should cover a lot of kids

What the hell, don't tell me this! My weight is bad enough already!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a scam to me so much as a guy who underestimated how difficult other people's jobs are. Event planner is one of those jobs where if you do a great job it looks like you didn't do anything at all.

Nah, it's still definitely a scam. Guy's been looking for ways to scrape money into his pockets while doing as little work as possible for years, and I think the actors haven't gotten paid.

edit: should clarify that there's nothing wrong with trying to get paid for doing very little, unless you're doing it at the expense of kids and people dependent on social programs.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

alexandriao posted:

holy poo poo i take everything back he definitely pocketed the money and ran

was it a rich area of glasgow? maybe we can frame him as ai man robin hood

Absolutely not. I get the impression for most of the folk affected that £35 is a lot of money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

davidspackage posted:

I think the actors haven't gotten paid.

According to “Immersive” Willy Wonka Exhibit Somehow Worse for Kids Than Original Chocolate Factory, someone claimed that the actor's contracts were written in erasable ink. I hope the exposure is worth it for them.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Peanut Butter posted:

Absolutely not. I get the impression for most of the folk affected that £35 is a lot of money.

30% of Glasgow households have an income of less than £20000 a year. We are not a city of rich people by any measure, and Whiteinch, where the venue was, is an old industrial estate, rather run down and shabby, like so much of this grand, decaying city.

That £35 per head would have been the major/only half term treat money for many of the children who went, and the bloke who organised it would have known that very well, the grubby little fucker.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Irisi posted:

30% of Glasgow households have an income of less than £20000 a year. We are not a city of rich people by any measure, and Whiteinch, where the venue was, is an old industrial estate, rather run down and shabby, like so much of this grand, decaying city.

That £35 per head would have been the major/only half term treat money for many of the children who went, and the bloke who organised it would have known that very well, the grubby little fucker.

God I didn't know the actual numbers, that's awful. I grew up in a really deprived part of Fife so I know what working class deprivation in Scotland is like, but Glasgow seems to be something else.

I remember in one of the videos a parent was complaining to the wee rat Coull that this was the main Christmas present for their kids. Absolute shitebag, I hope he gets his.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

davidspackage posted:

Nah, it's still definitely a scam. Guy's been looking for ways to scrape money into his pockets while doing as little work as possible for years, and I think the actors haven't gotten paid.

edit: should clarify that there's nothing wrong with trying to get paid for doing very little, unless you're doing it at the expense of kids and people dependent on social programs.

The guy should be banned from operating or participating in non-profits at a minimum. Good example of humanity at its finest really.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I want to see this movie.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Its called Fyre, available on Netflix

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

The Sausages posted:

The Unknown is the baddest villian of 2024 and as far as I can tell they've been sharted out by AI straight into the public domain, people are having a ball with it.

sources

I honestly just want to learn more about The Unknown's lore.

We know The Unknown is played by a girl, but does The Unknown actually consider itself to be a girl? It gives off more of a masculine or possibly even sexless energy. I feel like 'it' would be The Unknown's preferred pronoun because 'it' sounds mysterious.

And how exactly does The Unknown 'live inside the walls of the factory?' Is there like a 3 foot gap between a couple walls where it sleeps in a pile of knitted sweaters, or does it just kind of phase into solid walls like a ghost entering the spectral realm? Is the Unknown a magical entity or just a regular trespassing weirdo who watched too many sov-cit YouTubes about squatter rights?

And what is the scope of it's confectionary interests? Does The Unknown seek to innovate the same kind of delectable treats that interest Wonka, or is it some sort of anti-confectioner making goober drops and snot dollups? Does it sneak out of the walls to use Wonka's kitchen in the dead of night, or did it construct its own private candy lab between the walls in violation of local fire codes?

I need answers.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Stunt-Puffin posted:

I honestly just want to learn more about The Unknown's lore.

We know The Unknown is played by a girl, but does The Unknown actually consider itself to be a girl? It gives off more of a masculine or possibly even sexless energy. I feel like 'it' would be The Unknown's preferred pronoun because 'it' sounds mysterious.

And how exactly does The Unknown 'live inside the walls of the factory?' Is there like a 3 foot gap between a couple walls where it sleeps in a pile of knitted sweaters, or does it just kind of phase into solid walls like a ghost entering the spectral realm? Is the Unknown a magical entity or just a regular trespassing weirdo who watched too many sov-cit YouTubes about squatter rights?

And what is the scope of it's confectionary interests? Does The Unknown seek to innovate the same kind of delectable treats that interest Wonka, or is it some sort of anti-confectioner making goober drops and snot dollups? Does it sneak out of the walls to use Wonka's kitchen in the dead of night, or did it construct its own private candy lab between the walls in violation of local fire codes?

I need answers.

That’s the magic of AI hallucinations: you’ll never get a satisfying answer because the algorithms that birthed it up don’t know anything, and drew connections to something wholly unrelated to Willy Wonka and barfed up The Unknown. Make up your own cosmology, have fun with it, there is literally no one and nothing to tell you that you’re wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The best part of the AI script, and a bunch of other AI "creative" bullshit, is where I can't tell if it's regurgitating the scripts for children's TV shows, or internet posters writing poo poo that parodies children's TV shows.