Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Paladinus posted:

I simply played the best CRPG of this century, PoE2, with turn-based combat. Tyranny was the best implementation of RTwP in ages thanks to having not too many obligatory fights and more focus on your archetypes/builds/party than micromanaging buffs. I didn't particularly enjoy the combat most of the time anyway, but at least it didn't annoy me like in some older games.

yeah I’d never recommend the IE games anymore in 2024. and you have correct crpg opinions. so I will tone it down realizing you are in fact an Ally,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

yep

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

turn-based is the golden path and I'm so happy with how many games these days are that way

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

grieving for Gandalf posted:

turn-based is the golden path and I'm so happy with how many games these days are that way

:hmmyes:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Planescape Torment has great gameplay like having to sink your points into intelligence so your hungover undead hobo can remember where he parked his fuckin car and then spend your time watching your party swing aimlessly at a giant rat going *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* *MISS* until you quit out of boredom

no I will not care if I wasnt playing it right back then, I was too busy putting my time into Diablo 2 😎

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It's nice that my deteriorating reaction speed isn't an impediment to gaming. I can also have a nice sip of tea during enemy turns, or maybe pet my cat

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tarnop posted:

It's nice that my deteriorating reaction speed isn't an impediment to gaming. I can also have a nice sip of tea during enemy turns, or maybe pet my cat

Casting a summon in a JRPG and leaving the long animation on so you can mix a drink and get some snacks ftw.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

Casting a summon in a JRPG and leaving the long animation on so you can mix a drink and get some snacks ftw.

I’ve mentioned this somewhere before but the Moonstone Cannon animation in Skies of Arcadia was long enough for me to prepare 2 hotdogs and add condiments on a George Foreman grill and be back in my seat by the time it ended.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stux posted:

having to wait for each enemy turn is a fair trade off vs "the game is not fun to play"
the issues that many old crpgs have with being unfun aren't because of rtwp. FTL being one of the best games ever made should be enough evidence for anyone that rtwp can be fun

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’ve mentioned this somewhere before but the Moonstone Cannon animation in Skies of Arcadia was long enough for me to prepare 2 hotdogs and add condiments on a George Foreman grill and be back in my seat by the time it ended.

lmao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

LazyMaybe posted:

the issues that many old crpgs have with being unfun aren't because of rtwp. FTL being one of the best games ever made should be enough evidence for anyone that rtwp can be fun

yeah it really always boils down to the design(s) itself vs turn based or rtwp. we’ve been sold on a false dichotomy … where’s that “what the establishment truly fears” meme

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Bicyclops posted:

Not in ff8! Gonna have to mash X for the whole 72 seconds.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Not in ff8! Gonna have to mash X for the whole 72 seconds.

Skill issue.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

skies of arcadia was great

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

George Foreman Grill was loving clutch in a college dorm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
All his kids are also called George Foreman Grill.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Old school RPG's are plagued by the semicolon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheMightyBoops posted:

Lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

it is bcos of rtwp. no one talking about rtwp is using it across all genres ever made, it works in ftl because its a completely different genre of game. it sucks in the specific typ eof rpgs its disliked in bcos its always being grafted on top of systems which were explicitly designed around turns because of a weird 2000s fear western devs had of being comp[ared to a jrpg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Turns kick rear end. Love to take turns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

doubley stupid because the best jrpgs absolutely dumpster the ebst crpgs/western rpgs on both gameplay and writing

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Planescape Torment owns

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i love all rpg gameplay styles

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Radia posted:

yeah it really always boils down to the design(s) itself vs turn based or rtwp. we’ve been sold on a false dichotomy … where’s that “what the establishment truly fears” meme

Yeah, in FTL your pixel mans respond instantly whereas for example the IE games have RTwP + the turn system buried under it with hidden (by default anyway) timers, I can see how the latter would be frustrating

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Turns kick rear end. Love to take turns

I bet you share your toys, too

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Its one of the games I've been wanting to add to my physical collection but poo poo is stupid with the prices online. You can just buy a steam deck and run emulators on it for the price of a single CD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the dragon age 2 guys were right about the awesome button

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its mind boggling to think there were rpg devs looking at jrpgs int eh ps1/2 era and thinking wow, i would hate to be compared to smt/ff/dq right now. so stupid lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, in FTL your pixel mans respond instantly whereas for example the IE games have RTwP + the turn system buried under it with hidden (by default anyway) timers, I can see how the latter would be frustrating

thats the biggest thing i hate about it, the lack of feedback. i hate a lot of autoattack/MMO-like systems but at the very least usually when you do a special it happens as soon as you push the button

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the dragon age 2 guys were right about the awesome button

dragon age 1 being a spiritual successor to bg still feels so funny in retrospect now that bg3 is out and is competitively more horned up

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The awesome button exists in Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth and it is the button you press to say "aloha" to people and animals

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Voxx posted:

dragon age 1 being a spiritual successor to bg still feels so funny in retrospect now that bg3 is out and is competitively more horned up

It's only as horned-up as the player. I'm saving myself for marriage and if there is no marriage option in the game, well, sorry, sexy lizard lady, my body is a temple (of Moon Jesus).

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The imp zone got one wrong

Guigui posted:

*AHEM* -

I failed to see "Zelda's Adventure" on that list. It needs to be right after BOTW for you to get that extra-special feeling of "WTF!?!?!" that my kids experienced when we did the same thing.

(Or at least put in the fan remake for Faces of Evil, I hear Morshu's popular on the Meme front these days).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://twitter.com/captpan6/status/1766194533698568634

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Misterbibs was right that the vvitch was a terrible movie. I watched it with a non-native English speaker and they couldn't understand what anyone was saying.

I'm a native English speaker and I could only get about half of it. The dad guy's voice was just bass and vocal fry, I'm not even sure he was using words at all

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Misterbibs was right that the vvitch was a terrible movie. I watched it with a non-native English speaker and they couldn't understand what anyone was saying.

I'm a native English speaker and I could only get about half of it. The dad guy's voice was just bass and vocal fry, I'm not even sure he was using words at all

witch is good, bitch

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ilmucche posted:

broken clock, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would like to pet black phillip