Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

a real rude dude posted:

Cynthia Rothrock is 67, I bet she can still kick

Robert Stack was 61 in Airplane! and he did his own stunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo

More elderly fight scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I just watched T2 for the first time in like 20 years and loving hell what an amazing movie

the Blank Check podcast is currently covering John McTiernan's filmography. Between Cameron and him, yeah they really don't make them like that anymore. That whole mid 80's- early 90's action movies were loving amazing.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
hollywood has shown with some clever editing you can make liam neeson climb a fence. what can't they do?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

John Cena absolutely leans into the silliness of any role

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/john-cena-talks-embarrassing-himself-171901108.html?guccounter=1

quote:

"I come from a world where guys go out in their underwear, throw oil all over themselves and talk trash to each other. That in itself is ridiculous," he says. "But because we commit and we are authentically representing the characters we try to build, it brings you to the edge of your seat."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only bad TOS movie is 5, and even that is watchable with some booze and possibly three friends to make fun of it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I ended up trying to watch a few of the Matt Helm movies a few weeks ago and by modern standards Dean Martin looked like 20 years older than his actual age of late 40s/early 50s in them and still trying to play a young sexy leading man.

Ironically, I suppose, the original source material was supposed to have the relatively advanced age of the character be a plot point to the stories, but what I saw of the films doesn't seem make that a point of mention at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

We need to do an Expendables-type movie with nothing but B-movie actresses from the 80s-90s.

The plot being that modern Hollywood has run out of ideas and is deciding to do a hipster reboot of a cult B-movie fantasy-horror movie franchise from the 80s and cast a bunch of big name young talents like Zendaya, Miley Cyrus, half the cast of Madame Web, etc.

The original films' leads are hired to appear on location to film a cameo where they are to be killed off in Scream fashion, but in a strange twist all the young starlets are instead killed off as real supernatural fantasy monsters arrive to stalk their shooting location and it's up to the B-actresses to fight back and survive the night.

Movie comes out, and they all attend the premiere and it turns out some sub-Justice League-level CG has been used to just digitally replace the younger actresses and the B-actresses one scene in the movie was cut.

Gonna be hard to get Michelle Yeoh onboard, but I'm sure Monique Gabrielle, Cynthia Rothrock, Jaime Lee Curtis and Barbara Crampton will sign on.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

PostNouveau posted:

Gonna be hard to get Michelle Yeoh onboard, but I'm sure Monique Gabrielle, Cynthia Rothrock, Jaime Lee Curtis and Barbara Crampton will sign on.

No, Yeoh and Curtis are too big name. We'll get Ginger Lynn Allen, Traci Lords, Cassandra Peterson, and Linnea Quigley.

The post-credits is set at the board room of another studio going, "Well, superheroes and toys and video game movies are dead. The new future is remakes of lovely B-movies if the success of (movie) is any indication. So, we've acquired the rights to our own old 80s franchise to remake!"

We slowly pan down the board room as they talk up their big idea to their boss. We finally get to the big boss and the camera spins to reveal Mary Woronov, smiling.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 11, 2024

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Monique Gabrielle is only 62.

I thought it was missing something.

The eyebrows.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"films can either be keys to your heart, or locks to your mind" - me

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kingo Ligma posted:

loving hell Biden finally did it! That crazy bastard finally made anime real

*Vomits*

Adult women being sexy is like the exact opposite of anime though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

No, Yeoh and Curtis are too big name. We'll get Ginger Lynn Allen, Traci Lords, Cassandra Peterson, and Linnea Quigley.

The post-credits is set at the board room of another studio going, "Well, superheroes and toys and video game movies are dead. The new future is remakes of lovely B-movies if the success of (movie) is any indication. So, we've acquired the rights to our own old 80s franchise to remake!"

We slowly pan down the board room as they talk up their big idea to their boss. We finally get to the big boss and the camera spins to reveal Mary Woronov, smiling.

Recent history has convinced me Jaime Lee Curtis will do anything she wants these days.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
David decoteau already made scream queen expendables and i bet you didnt even go see it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
david decoteau made a film...... featuring women?????

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
DUNC2: 70mm or cineplex pseudo-IMax?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
that's brinke stevens, linnea quigley and michelle bauer you ingrate

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mordja posted:

DUNC2: 70mm or cineplex pseudo-IMax?
I'd go for 70mm

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That DICK! posted:

"films can either be keys to your heart, or locks to your mind" - me

oh wow

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

I'd go for 70mm

this

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Adult women being sexy is like the exact opposite of anime though.

so you think the brain of a baby in an adult body qualifies as an "adult woman"

interesting

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

RealityWarCriminal posted:

David decoteau already made scream queen expendables and i bet you didnt even go see it

how long are the cougars in the movie?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

so you think the brain of a baby in an adult body qualifies as an "adult woman"

interesting

To be fair, that is the literal opposite of how anime usually goes.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I mean loving kids is horrific whether the kid part is the brain or the body so it's all the same watchlist poo poo to me :shrug:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Just to immediately clarify: everyone involved should be on a watchlist, not that I'm queuing it up in my must watch list.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yikes!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my original review of poor things consisted of "it's an anime eww" and I was going to write out a whole thing right now to explain myself but I decided it would be too draining mentally and spiritually. basically it's midsommar all over again: people are looking at the film as a powerful feminist statement which is a completely and utterly hosed take if you actually watched the film. the only difference is ari aster did it on purpose, and isn't a pedo afaict

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

JediTalentAgent posted:

We need to do an Expendables-type movie with nothing but B-movie actresses from the 80s-90s.

The plot being that modern Hollywood has run out of ideas and is deciding to do a hipster reboot of a cult B-movie fantasy-horror movie franchise from the 80s and cast a bunch of big name young talents like Zendaya, Miley Cyrus, half the cast of Madame Web, etc.

The original films' leads are hired to appear on location to film a cameo where they are to be killed off in Scream fashion, but in a strange twist all the young starlets are instead killed off as real supernatural fantasy monsters arrive to stalk their shooting location and it's up to the B-actresses to fight back and survive the night.

Movie comes out, and they all attend the premiere and it turns out some sub-Justice League-level CG has been used to just digitally replace the younger actresses and the B-actresses one scene in the movie was cut.

lmao yeah because crowds will flock to see old women on big screens (:smith:)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcpwq1ltQc

I dont know what's worse, the fact that I only just heard about this Star Wars game today despite it being announced months ago, or that it seems physically impossible for people to not make a star wars story about a smuggler with a furry sidekick who takes on a job from a shifty weirdo with a robot palling around.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think that Poor Things is probably supposed to fall in the category of movies with premises that are so preposterous that you don't need to worry about the real world implications because it could never, ever actually happen. The premise still feels really icky though, so I'm not sure they accomplished their goal there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching a live action movie written by a Australian, directed by a Greek, starring Americans, based on a Scottish novel: this is anime to me

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

lusting after children is foundational for anime

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Emma Stone is great, Lanthimos is great, haven't seen the movie yet. That is all.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

sweet geek swag posted:

I think that Poor Things is probably supposed to fall in the category of movies with premises that are so preposterous that you don't need to worry about the real world implications because it could never, ever actually happen. The premise still feels really icky though, so I'm not sure they accomplished their goal there.

Men infantilizing women, marrying teens, and treating women as property is a core reality of patriarchal society in both the past and present. Presenting it as gross and exploitative is the point.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymcpwq1ltQc

I dont know what's worse, the fact that I only just heard about this Star Wars game today despite it being announced months ago, or that it seems physically impossible for people to not make a star wars story about a smuggler with a furry sidekick who takes on a job from a shifty weirdo with a robot palling around.

because as rich evans correctly pointed out, star wars is creatively bankrupt. continuing to pay attention to it is just silly.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
did you know you can just not post about pedophilia at all?

you can just not talk about it, and, if somebody else brings it up, you can just not continue that part of the conversation

this works for other horrible things that nobody wants to think about as well, such as torture, or drug addiction, horrifying flesh eating diseases. notice how all of those topics suck and make a normal person sad to think about? so you don't bring them up in the middle of an unrelated conversation and just keep talking about it until somebody tells you to shut the gently caress up?
if torture comes up, you don't have to have a day long discussion dedicated to explaining why torture is bad and how you personally do not and would not ever torture a person

for some reason everybody seems to understand intuitively that, if it's horrible, just one of the worst things, and nobody wants to think about it, that you shouldn't have a protracted discussion about that in the middle of an unrelated topic
unless it's pedophilia
????
for some reason when it comes to pedophilia, somebody has to actively intervene and say something like "hey, stop loving posting about pedophilia you stupid goddamn pieces of poo poo" in order for people to realize they should stop doing that

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

how long are the cougars in the movie?

For them to be identified as "cougars" it would require a group of young men who inexplicably jog shirtless everywhere they go being stalked by them, So it still fits the Decoteau oeuvre .

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

did you know you can just not post about pedophilia at all?

you can just not talk about it, and, if somebody else brings it up, you can just not continue that part of the conversation

this works for other horrible things that nobody wants to think about as well, such as torture, or drug addiction, horrifying flesh eating diseases. notice how all of those topics suck and make a normal person sad to think about? so you don't bring them up in the middle of an unrelated conversation and just keep talking about it until somebody tells you to shut the gently caress up?
if torture comes up, you don't have to have a day long discussion dedicated to explaining why torture is bad and how you personally do not and would not ever torture a person

for some reason everybody seems to understand intuitively that, if it's horrible, just one of the worst things, and nobody wants to think about it, that you shouldn't have a protracted discussion about that in the middle of an unrelated topic
unless it's pedophilia
????
for some reason when it comes to pedophilia, somebody has to actively intervene and say something like "hey, stop loving posting about pedophilia you stupid goddamn pieces of poo poo" in order for people to realize they should stop doing that

We're all trying, but people keep recommending animes in here, and we have no way to stop them!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cubone posted:

instructions unclear, on trial at The Hauge

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Who is the most anime member of RLM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer