Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Has anyone been effected by the Warner Bros disc rot problem? I guess the classic cinema collectors are really screwed by it.

From what I gather, the Cinram plant in Olyphant, PA was cutting corners on these discs and anything produced from 2006-2009 has started to fail. It's mostly box sets of older films/archive stuff.

I found a list of titles here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Boinks posted:

Has anyone been effected by the Warner Bros disc rot problem? I guess the classic cinema collectors are really screwed by it.

From what I gather, the Cinram plant in Olyphant, PA was cutting corners on these discs and anything produced from 2006-2009 has started to fail. It's mostly box sets of older films/archive stuff.

Is this just standard DVDs?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Orange Carlisle posted:

Is this just standard DVDs?

Yep, just DVDs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Boinks posted:

Hmmm that is some real real bullshit.

I popped in my disc 1 of Tales from the Crypt S1, played fine thankfully. Of course I was reminded of that set's original sin: No intros for any of the episodes. The only way to watch the intro is when the disc boots up and that's zoomed-in to 1.78:1, and has a streaming-esque "KILL INTRO" button the whole time. God drat it.

I didn't see Lucky Louie (HBO show from 2006, DVD is from 2007) on that list but my copy has disc rot on both discs. Real bummer that it's at risk of becoming a lost show. I gotta try to get an unrotted one to rip before it's too late.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have a copy of the Blade Runner set and am pretty sure it’s the one on the list. There was another one that came in a VK test briefcase that I wasn’t about to spent my 18 year old’s paycheck on. I’ll have to see if it still works even though I’ve replaced it with a UHD set.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 11, 2024

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Oh boy I have at least a few of those.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Boinks posted:

Yep, just DVDs.

Thank you, and thanks for posting the list

I think I have a few on there but unfortunately at this point I just assume most of my standard dvds are a coin flip on actually playing correctly. I've upgraded all the ones that I could. Disc/data rot is a shame.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
It's a shame, many of those titles (e.g., some of the classic noirs) aren't otherwise available on physical media.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
guys I'm telling you, go to Big Lots

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

reviews for The Abyss, Aliens and True Lies are starting to drop and its sounding like a lot of soft pedaling of "well at least we got them on UHD", but then also "yeah they used "new techniques" to remove grain and restore them to the directors vision" which means a lot of removal of film grain and AI enhancements.

cancelled those pre-orders with the swiftness. I'll be fine with not owning The Abyss and my Alien Anthology set for Aliens.

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

reviews for The Abyss, Aliens and True Lies are starting to drop and its sounding like a lot of soft pedaling of "well at least we got them on UHD", but then also "yeah they used "new techniques" to remove grain and restore them to the directors vision" which means a lot of removal of film grain and AI enhancements.

cancelled those pre-orders with the swiftness. I'll be fine with not owning The Abyss and my Alien Anthology set for Aliens.

You know this dovetails into something I've been mulling over lately. I'm fine with DVD.

In the physical media sphere, between music and video formats, in one specific but key regard, there is an analog. For music, vinyl used to be fun but has been soft ruined by prices being jacked up to the moon. It's not uncommon to see a new release with a sticker price of $40-50. All this marketing based on FOMO, aesthetics (coloured vinyl and fancy packaging). Sound familiar? The same has happened to video. This hobby is rapidly being ruined, for someone who has considerably-limited disposable income anyway, by the sheer greed of pumping collectors for $40-50 a title. In one ear, I hear people from labels talk about how much more UHD costs to master, and in the other, I'm seeing $11 UHD/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo packs at Walmart. They're selling you $30 of packaging.

While I never stopped buying CDs, over the past couple years I have more frequently just picked up a CD in lieu of a vinyl. It's stupid to pay so much when I can get the music in great quality for like $10. And in THAT ONE REGARD, DVDs are that analog to CDs in audio. For example: I'm fleshing out my Apatow collection on Blu-ray right now. But I never even seen, let alone owned, Celtic Pride. While nearly all the Blu discs I've bought this past week were ~$10, when I looked up Celtic Pride last night, I got this poo poo

These are the three that have sold recently; there are none currently for sale.

As if that's not stupid enough, the disc got a poor A/V review on Blu-ray.com. It's just one of those "we have to take this to get the title we wanted" releases from Kino Lorber, where the studio just dumped a ~20-year-old-transfer on them and said "good luck".

I could rent it in HD, in all likelihood the same transfer as the Blu, for $4.99 on Prime, or I could spend $7.39 and own a DVD that will be about the same quality. I did the latter, obviously. Because I don't have an allergic reaction to DVD.

I'm here to watch movies and listen to music first. I fuckin LOVE pretty packaging and higher quality, but I'm perfectly content with CDs, DVDs, and older mass-market Blu-rays that are 90% of the new shiny without a slight PQ bump and a foil embossed spot-gloss soft-touch slipcover and miniature lobby card reproductions with new reversible cover art. Which, again, I love. But I like watching movies more. And going back to the Cameron poo poo, if that's the best they have to offer in HD, I'll stick with SD.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pwn posted:

You know this dovetails into something I've been mulling over lately. I'm fine with DVD.

In the physical media sphere, between music and video formats, in one specific but key regard, there is an analog. For music, vinyl used to be fun but has been soft ruined by prices being jacked up to the moon. It's not uncommon to see a new release with a sticker price of $40-50. All this marketing based on FOMO, aesthetics (coloured vinyl and fancy packaging). Sound familiar? The same has happened to video. This hobby is rapidly being ruined, for someone who has considerably-limited disposable income anyway, by the sheer greed of pumping collectors for $40-50 a title. In one ear, I hear people from labels talk about how much more UHD costs to master, and in the other, I'm seeing $11 UHD/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital combo packs at Walmart. They're selling you $30 of packaging.

While I never stopped buying CDs, over the past couple years I have more frequently just picked up a CD in lieu of a vinyl. It's stupid to pay so much when I can get the music in great quality for like $10. And in THAT ONE REGARD, DVDs are that analog to CDs in audio. For example: I'm fleshing out my Apatow collection on Blu-ray right now. But I never even seen, let alone owned, Celtic Pride. While nearly all the Blu discs I've bought this past week were ~$10, when I looked up Celtic Pride last night, I got this poo poo

As if that's not stupid enough, the disc got a poor A/V review on Blu-ray.com. It's just one of those "we have to take this to get the title we wanted" releases from Kino Lorber, where the studio just dumped a ~20-year-old-transfer on them and said "good luck".

I could rent it in HD, in all likelihood the same transfer as the Blu, for $4.99 on Prime, or I could spend $7.39 and own a DVD that will be about the same quality. I did the latter, obviously. Because I don't have an allergic reaction to DVD.

I'm here to watch movies and listen to music first. I fuckin LOVE pretty packaging and higher quality, but I'm perfectly content with CDs, DVDs, and older mass-market Blu-rays that are 90% of the new shiny without a slight PQ bump and a foil embossed spot-gloss soft-touch slipcover and miniature lobby card reproductions with new reversible cover art. Which, again, I love. But I like watching movies more. And going back to the Cameron poo poo, if that's the best they have to offer in HD, I'll stick with SD.

:agreed: completely

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

pwn posted:

Yeah I’m interested in where physical movie stuff is about to go. With all the big box stores slowing down on selling blu ray and 4k or just not selling them at all we’re gonna see an uptick on collectors jacking up prices or smaller boutique companies trying out gimmicks to resell us the same stuff over and over again. That being said I think a lot of the boutique companies have their hearts in the right place right now and there are enough sales that happen that it’s still a viable hobby. You have every right to be skeptical on how long it lasts though. I just hope that we have enough movie lovers that it doesn’t just turn into companies gouging us.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber will put titles that are about to go out of print or won't be given another pressing into their "while supplies last" section to give customers a heads up. Combined with Disney forcing all the other boutiques except for Criterion to take Fox titles out of print, it's assumed anything Disney owns might not get a new pressing. Of course, with the Sony deal, who knows.

https://kinolorber.com/collection/while-supplies-last-sale

pwn
May 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber will put titles that are about to go out of print or won't be given another pressing into their "while supplies last" section to give customers a heads up. Combined with Disney forcing all the other boutiques except for Criterion to take Fox titles out of print, it's assumed anything Disney owns might not get a new pressing. Of course, with the Sony deal, who knows.

Yeah I was really kicking myself for a minute, I'm sure I passed Celtic Pride up in one of the KL sales.

Not as much as the guy who paid $190 for Celtic Pride is kicking himself, of course :pwn:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Egbert Souse posted:

well there went 200 bucks on gaps i didn't even realize i had

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I was going to get a new region free 4k player from 220-Electronics and save the rest of my tax refund. Now I have $110 in my Kino cart right now. That site is dangerous.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ugh of course, of the 3 discs in the abyss, they put the uhd on top of another disc. Definitely one or two noticeable marks on it, guess I'll watch that tonight to see how bad the damage is.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Ugh of course, of the 3 discs in the abyss, they put the uhd on top of another disc. Definitely one or two noticeable marks on it, guess I'll watch that tonight to see how bad the damage is.

consider yourself lucky that you got a copy

I pre-ordered the day it went up and now it's been delayed on amazon with no actual date for shipping lol - it appears some retailers didn't even get any copies of the three cameron movies that released today. I'll still be glad to own it in HD whenever it actually gets shipped to me.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Boinks posted:

I've run into a few of the rotten discs from that list from thrift stores. Always sucks when that happens. The biggest problem is the Warner Bros HD-DVDs from that era. Those are almost all dead at this point. It was a coinflip for a while whether or not it would work when I came across one years back but these days I won't touch any HD-DVD they released. They all seem to fail at the layer change no matter what. The other studios releases still work fine though for HD-DVDs.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Managed to get Aliens and The Abyss 4ks from Target's online store. True Lies is MIA right now. And, you know, it makes sense not to have them in stores. James Cameron is only one of the most popular and well regarded filmmakers, let's not carry his movies but be sure to stock the GameStop movie.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't like what I saw of the True Lies 4k, how does the Aliens one look? Trying to decide whether to replace my quadrilogy blu ray or not. My Event Horizon 4k steelbook came in today so I'll be rewatching that this weekend, love the look of the case too.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So today I got the Dude Where's My Car Blu-Ray in the mail. Very obviously a super early Blu, but I was mostly curious about upgrading my DVD I got at Goodwill for $2.

It doesn't even have any of the bonus features the DVD had! It has the theatrical trailer and that's it! I know it's a dumb comedy that is very few peoples' favorite (I love it though) but you'd think they'd at least be trying. It did have a super funny sticker on the front assuring me it's compatible with Playstation 3, though. I might get a two-disc BD case to keep both the DVD and Blu in.

Anyway, now that I've bought it I'm ready for it to hit Shout Select. You can thank me later.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So today I got the Dude Where's My Car Blu-Ray in the mail. Very obviously a super early Blu, but I was mostly curious about upgrading my DVD I got at Goodwill for $2.

It doesn't even have any of the bonus features the DVD had! It has the theatrical trailer and that's it! I know it's a dumb comedy that is very few peoples' favorite (I love it though) but you'd think they'd at least be trying. It did have a super funny sticker on the front assuring me it's compatible with Playstation 3, though. I might get a two-disc BD case to keep both the DVD and Blu in.

Anyway, now that I've bought it I'm ready for it to hit Shout Select. You can thank me later.

Those old cases were mad sturdy, make sure you hold on to it for the next time you get one of those Eco cases

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It doesn't have their audio commentary? That's like the best part!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Goon buy?

15 copies of Anchorman 2 for $40 shipped

He has 12 lots for sale. He's already sold 14. So he started with a minimum of 390 copies. After shipping and ebay fees he's netted about $420 (nice) so far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm saving up for the next VS sale, and frankly I can't think of what I'd do with 15 copies of Anchorman 2.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I honestly can't think of what I'd do with one copy of Anchorman 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Mac posted:

I'd at the very least watch the news fight scene again, that was pretty fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Give it to your enemies

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gripweed posted:

I'd at the very least watch the news fight scene again, that was pretty fun.

I have some fondness for Anchorman 2 because I saw it with my brother and both this scene and the "This is some Primo Garfield, Ron!" scene made me burst out laughing.

It's a mostly-forgettable film but those are fun bits at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mac posted:

put it in ur behind

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I am remarkably tempted by that because I'm down to my last 4 copies of Paul Blart, Mall Cop BDs (out of the 40 I bought at the time) and I need more gag gifts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

claw game handjob posted:

I am remarkably tempted by that because I'm down to my last 4 copies of Paul Blart, Mall Cop BDs (out of the 40 I bought at the time) and I need more gag gifts.

40 copies of Observe and Report.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Observe and Report was a great film

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

pwn posted:

It's a very enjoyable character study, shame it's been largely eclipsed by the Paul Blart movies.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If I found $1 Observe and Report discs I'd buy those too.

If I'd known I was never going to find a deal as good as that not-yet-dying Fry's table full of discs, I'd have bought more of the $1 movies. I remember there were a bunch of copies of Milk there too, and other stuff.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

claw game handjob posted:

I glanced over that real quick and read that as Paul Blart, Muad’dib

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

pwn posted:

I looooove Observe & Report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I kind of want the Crippled Masters blu ray, but it would be really weird watching a copy of that film that isn't a 4th generation VHS rip in a 10 film DVD box set.