Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

barbie is literally a movie about getting mad at stereotypes that only exist in your imagination while also taking for granted that the continued existence of these stereotypes is necessary in order for society to function

its actually a fairly accurate representation of the political world we live in just not in the way anyones been arguing for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It doesn’t matter. Comic Book Cannon always has been and always will be needlessly stupid bullshit that should never be considered but will always be shoved to the forefront at the expense of interesting stories.

"It doesn't matter because I decided it's real anyway"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It doesn’t matter. Comic Book Cannon always has been and always will be needlessly stupid bullshit that should never be considered but will always be shoved to the forefront at the expense of interesting stories.

Yeah it works similar to how people believe Palestinians rape is isrealis non-stop or cook babies in microwaves.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
They put a woman in a fridge.

THEY PUT A WOMAN IN A FRIDGE!

THEY PUT A WOMAN IN A FRIDGE!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
comical books

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

indigi posted:

comical books

They’re just a big JOKE

And now movies and tv are comic books so they’re a just a big JOKE too

Everything is just a BIG JOKE nowadays

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i watched The Green Knight and i gotta say - hosed up that Barry Keoghan did that poo poo

i liked Dune 2 but i wish this little weirdo had played Feyd as was the original rumor

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They’re just a big JOKE

would you say its turning us all into big jokers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They’re just a big JOKE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gonna go see DUNC2 today and I'm hype as gently caress!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah it works similar to how people believe Palestinians rape is isrealis non-stop or cook babies in microwaves.

Remember when The Flash put a baby in a microwave?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I believe in the power of mercy. Do you?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nichael posted:

incredible speech. still shaking

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

both these are classics. we also mostly played mysterium, code names, castles of mad king, and a few others just because they’re so easy

I never liked catan much, it’s kinda the monopoly for millennials

ooh for any fan of codenames I have to shout out Decrypto - it's like codenames but in reverse (you have to give many clues regarding a subset of words but you have to give them in such a way that the other team cannot figure out what the secret words are so by round 3-4 you're scratching your brain trying to come up with lateral meanings)

and Wavelength is a really good one for any size of gathering that plays fairly similarly - really good for parents+non-gamer friends and infinitely expandable and super easy conceptually. And the little spinner is pretty fun to play with

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nichael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4Yzif8jQY

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Al! posted:

i think the academy actually gave way too much consideration for a movie length toy commercial, and it shows you just how hosed the industry is right now that its even in contention

oh youll say this about barbie but you probably thought godzilla minus one sweeping the japanese academy awards was the coolest thing ever i bet

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

just remembered the bizarre "elf slavery is actually good" side plot in Harry Potter and I really wanna know how people reacted to that online back in the day because I remember putting down the series after that when I was a kid because it was so off-putting

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Movie theater previews fuckin own. I ain't seen a single ad for any of these movies on my phone before, but this poo poo looks dope.

There's IF the Ryan Reynolds children movie vehicle. Monkey Man, the Indian import with Jordan Peeles. I looked down, but the motorcycle movie looks like it'll usher in a new era of Rockabilly. A24's Civil War movie has gravity when the Doobie Digital explosions hit. This poo poo fuckin rocks! First Omen looks fuckin sick even though it was a vague 15 second teaser. M Night Shamylan looks like he got the magic back with his The Watchers trailer. Even the USAF recruitment video is waaaaay better than the poo poo ads I watched before they got me to join, all inspirational and poo poo. Kevin Costner's lil house on the prairie poo poo looks dope and woke. Gonna watch Horizon: American Saga, poo poo looks like in-law cat nip. Furiosa trailer on the big screen looks so cool with the DRUM DRUM from the trailer shaking my seat.

Why did I ever stop going to these things?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

probably covid 19

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The quality of movie guys is really going down considering they all take the awards seriously now. I remember when the real mark of being a movie guy was dismissing almost anything that won an award

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The quality of movie guys is really going down considering they all take the awards seriously now. I remember when the real mark of being a movie guy was dismissing almost anything that won an award

They mighta thrown the baby out with the bathwater when everyone stopped being hipsters

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Whirling posted:

just remembered the bizarre "elf slavery is actually good" side plot in Harry Potter and I really wanna know how people reacted to that online back in the day because I remember putting down the series after that when I was a kid because it was so off-putting

I think they either just ignored it or didn’t understand the implications. I just watched the movies, and I don’t think that subplot ever showed up there.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I think they either just ignored it or didn’t understand the implications. I just watched the movies, and I don’t think that subplot ever showed up there.

it just felt so weird because I really identified with hermione and then the fourth book is like "hermione is an abominable cretin for not understanding the time-honored tradition of elf slavery"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

its a good thing harry potters going to be a full series now so it can include all the weird subplots the film directors had to omit for cringe time limitations

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BONGHITZ posted:

probably covid 19

Went to the movies in fall of 2020 poster here, they promised me Dune was coming soon

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I'm not trying to be like "oh I was such a smart kid!!!!" but I was pretty aware as I was reading it that the elf slavery plot was bonkers, and the goblin anti-semitism was terrible. That said, I legit just thought Rowling was too dumb to know what she was doing, and ignoring it allowed me to enjoy a mostly fine series. It's basically how I still treat fiction. Like, I love Avatar and Korra, but I recognize a lot of the politics is dumb as hell. Same with The Expanse, where I'm rooting for Avasarala, but on domestic issues she is garbage.

I still think there's a chance Rowling is too dumb to get it, but the transphobia is transparently evil.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Look we all agree elf-slavery is bad. But we have to be patient and let this pecuilar tradition gradully peter out as it surely must in time. And what would a Elf even do with money and freedom? Take my lovely Buttersnicker for instance. He is about as brigth as a muggle`s rectum. He wants to serve, i have to let him!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hermione would have cursed those elves to a magical Jim Crow era existence. She didn't know what she was doing because she was just an idiot child and this is how she learned.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thinking about that time designated good character sirius black kept a house elf who obviously hated him on the slave roll and everyone acted all surprised when that house elf ruled lawyered his way into betraying their entire resistance cell to voldemort

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
DUNC 2 WAS FUCKIN DOPE!!!

Do yourself a favor and go experience cinema again! Holy poo poo that was fun, oh no it is after dark. What do you mean it is 8:35!?!?!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BONGHITZ posted:

probably covid 19

Oh yeah I forgot, I think Sonic was like the last one. poo poo, I didn't even pay for that. I snuck in after seeing Skyscraper in 4D box idk. Oh man movies are fuckin awesome.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh yeah I forgot, I think Sonic was like the last one. poo poo, I didn't even pay for that. I snuck in after seeing Skyscraper in 4D box idk. Oh man movies are fuckin awesome.

what an awful thing to admit to what will your baby think when they learn that you watched sonic the hedgehog without them

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

KirbyKhan posted:

DUNC 2 WAS FUCKIN DOPE!!!

Do yourself a favor and go experience cinema again! Holy poo poo that was fun, oh no it is after dark. What do you mean it is 8:35!?!?!

I saw it in my theatre's new IMAX setup and I'm pretty sure the bass broke up any kidney stones or arterial plaque in my body. jesus christ.

Nichael posted:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't like this bird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I love how suddenly Watchmen makes sense now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

s07 e05 of voyager is about a planet where a robot decides how to allocate medical resources and the robot decides that cosmetic treatments for senior engineers are more important than life saving drugs for poor people when both require the exact same dtug

so im curious has anyone talked about using artificial intelligence to do this in the present day the main reason im not sure is because it doesnt really sound stupid enough to be a realistic contemporary application of the technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

s07 e05 of voyager is about a planet where a robot decides how to allocate medical resources and the robot decides that cosmetic treatments for senior engineers are more important than life saving drugs for poor people when both require the exact same dtug

so im curious has anyone talked about using artificial intelligence to do this in the present day the main reason im not sure is because it doesnt really sound stupid enough to be a realistic contemporary application of the technology

https://arstechnica.com/health/2023/11/ai-with-90-error-rate-forces-elderly-out-of-rehab-nursing-homes-suit-claims/