Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nichael posted:

I actually don't know if they do use it against leftists. Like, people will say that a given leftist campaign is shot down to coordinated Democrat Party efforts, but in my experience that's not necessarily the case. The self-driving Misery Machine of America tends to crush dissent all by itself, with very little effort from the establishment. A great example of this in my own experience is when my friend and I helped the more left (not a literal cop) person to victory in the 2022 primaries. Their opponent was a white cop, in office for sixteen years, and he had zero electoral opposition from the Dems (in primaries) or the GOP in all sixteen years. He also didn't actively campaign at all, to a degree of laziness unheard of in even Delaware. He still only lost by 26 votes.

That wasn't a coordinated effort from the Democrat Party. That was an applied lesson that you can sit at home all day and the Misery Machine will most likely take care of dissent for you. The fact that the primary challenger won was basically just a fluke.

Likewise, they do use it against the big 3rd party candidates (RFK Jr., Stein, etc), but not so much against random third party candidates scattered around the nation. The fact that you don't see more winning is probably more do to lack of infrastructure, and lack of targeting vulnerable districts. But maybe I'm wrong?

they have used it before in some local races like buffalo or another im forgetting or trying to get 3rd parties off the ballot, but generally its reserved for national stuff typically local stuff they dont care as much since 1 person cant really do anything anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
probably a similar line of thinking to conspiracy mindsets in general, where it's more comforting to think that someone has a malicious hand on the wheel rather than the cruelty being a byproduct of bureaucracy and capital

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Porter and Lee were better the median, but that's such a low loving bar. I don't know the intricacies of Californian politics, but I feel like he mostly won on inertia from Trump stuff, since Trump has basically redefined all American politics to Trmup or not-Tmruiop. Of course though, he also artificially inflated the main chud opponent through clever ads. Anyway poo poo sucks, :matters:.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCfLpuLdF8Q

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

they have used it before in some local races like buffalo or another im forgetting or trying to get 3rd parties off the ballot, but generally its reserved for national stuff typically local stuff they dont care as much since 1 person cant really do anything anyway

SixteenShells posted:

probably a similar line of thinking to conspiracy mindsets in general, where it's more comforting to think that someone has a malicious hand on the wheel rather than the cruelty being a byproduct of bureaucracy and capital

Yeah, I'm not going to say it's never someone on the wheel. But I think most cases are just byproducts of an effective machine designed to drive us into climate oblivion.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Nichael posted:

Modern day Democrats (like 1990s+), have zero concept of the bully pulpit or the informal levers of power that politicians have. Or they just choose not to use them because they're evil and/or taught wrong as a joke.
seems to me like modern day democrats are using the bully pulpit to support right wing zionists

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

HashtagGirlboss posted:

But most mainline Democratic Party stuff seems to still hang its head on segregationists blocking school entrances rather than technocrats distributing resources and the real problem is in the systems but there’s no energy to confront the systems it’s all about personal work

I have a #girlboss family member who was hired by a major American alcohol or tobacco corporation to the tune of a quarter million dollars to be a brand manager. Her job specifically is selling a premium product to "POC Premium Consumers". So, like, imagine a step up from Newports, aimed at the country club set who actually do know what a spinnaker is. I think it's all very hokey and condescending, but apparently selling intoxicants to melanated people is a specialized skill that commands the same salary as a Canadian family doctor.

The thing that kills me is that the modern democrat brand, which I had never been exposed to firsthand, seems so wrapped up in hustle, grindset, striver stuff and tokenism. Since she moved to Manhattan she's been on all sorts of podcasts and magazines talking about African American young professional this, African American woman in business that. Keep in mind, she's not American - she's a very well educated Canadian from a good family, she didn't show up with three bucks, two bags, one dream. She met the Lieutenant Governor, a family friend, when she was like 5 years old.

Idk, I feel like it's disingenuous for a Canadian transplant PMC working for an alcohol or tobacco company, selling to rich black people, to go to Dem fundraisers and talk about the plight of African Americans and how their personal success is proof that racism is over, but, this is all anecdotal of course, it seems like in her social milieu this is sort of the norm.

Well, my thinking is, marketing is marketing, and if this is what the people who produce culture believe, of course the Democrats and their college educated base are removed from any sort of material reality.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Mar 11, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

also I think all these theories on my part ultimately are just a discussion in an academic sense. the end result is exactly the same in that the end result is going to literally destroy the planet through the terrors of capitalism. it's interesting and fun to talk about, but it does gently caress all. that's why I take no problem with people saying I'm wrong on these fronts because I've got no emotional stake in being right with this.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

basically if a 3rd party or candidate is a threat they're going to do something

but yes the system is designed to be very undemocratic what a surprise

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I need to shitpost after effort posting.

I had a dream Doctor Jill Biden Medicine Woman died, and I was like this meme as I realized I had to update the dead family member jokes

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Nichael posted:

Likewise, they do use it against the big 3rd party candidates (RFK Jr., Stein, etc), but not so much against random third party candidates scattered around the nation. The fact that you don't see more winning is probably more do to lack of infrastructure, and lack of targeting vulnerable districts. But maybe I'm wrong?

in 2022 the nc democratic party in conjunction with the dscc hired marc elias' law firm to sue the state elections board to remove the green party's senate candidate from the ballot and sent pinkertons to harass people at their homes who signed the petition to get the greens on the ballot

the dscc openly admitted it at the time

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Who's going? :dance:

Biden Victory Fund accepts contributions of up to $929,600 from a person and $415,000 from a multicandidate committee (“PAC”). The first $6,600/$10,000 from a person/PAC will be allocated to Biden for President, with the first $3,300/$5,000 designated for the primary and the next $3,300/$5,000 for the general election. The next $41,300/$15,000 from a person/PAC will be allocated to the DNC. The next $510,000/$255,000 from a person/PAC will be split equally among the Democratic state parties from: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Any additional funds will be allocated to the DNC, subject to applicable contribution limits.

A contributor may designate his or her contribution for a particular participant by contacting contact@joebiden.com. The allocation formula above may change if following it would result in an excessive contribution. Contributions will be used in connection with federal elections, may be spent on any activity as each committee determines in its sole discretion, and will not be earmarked for any particular candidate. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 per election cycle. Biden Victory Fund does not accept contributions from corporations or their PACs, unions, federal contractors, national banks, those registered as federal lobbyists or under FARA, SEC-named executives of fossil fuel companies, or foreign nationals.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

insane clown pussy posted:

in 2022 the nc democratic party in conjunction with the dscc hired marc elias' law firm to sue the state elections board to remove the green party's senate candidate from the ballot and sent pinkertons to harass people at their homes who signed the petition to get the greens on the ballot

the dscc openly admitted it at the time

i love democrat party

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Biden Victory Fund accepts contributions of up to $929,600 from a person and $415,000 from a multicandidate committee (“PAC”). The first $6,600/$10,000 from a person/PAC will be allocated to Biden for President, with the first $3,300/$5,000 designated for the primary and the next $3,300/$5,000 for the general election. The next $41,300/$15,000 from a person/PAC will be allocated to the DNC. The next $510,000/$255,000 from a person/PAC will be split equally among the Democratic state parties from: AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Any additional funds will be allocated to the DNC, subject to applicable contribution limits.

A contributor may designate his or her contribution for a particular participant by contacting contact@joebiden.com. The allocation formula above may change if following it would result in an excessive contribution. Contributions will be used in connection with federal elections, may be spent on any activity as each committee determines in its sole discretion, and will not be earmarked for any particular candidate. Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer of individuals whose contributions exceed $200 per election cycle. Biden Victory Fund does not accept contributions from corporations or their PACs, unions, federal contractors, national banks, those registered as federal lobbyists or under FARA, SEC-named executives of fossil fuel companies, or foreign nationals.

is this like amatocon

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ idk what that is.

:hurr: is testifying tomorrow at a House hearing about our president's dementia.

quote:

Of particular concern for the White House is whether Hur will provide any fresh details about his interview with Biden and the broader investigation that could fuel questions about the president’s mental acuity. Aides to Biden will be ready to push back on any new characterizations of Biden’s demeanor that they see as unfair, according to a person familiar with their strategy.

The White House is weighing releasing a transcript of the interview, with redactions for classified information.

Hur is expected to tell lawmakers that the details in his report were necessary to explain his team’s decision that charges weren’t justified, people familiar with the matter said. He will likely also try to make clear that it was Biden, not the special counsel or his team, who introduced the subject of Beau’s death during the interview, some of the people said.

Ahead of the hearing, Hur retained William Burck, who previously represented special counsel John Durham, as his personal counsel. Friends and former Justice Department colleagues have also flocked to Hur’s support with offers to help prepare him for his testimony.

Hur’s appearance comes days after Biden delivered an energetic State of the Union address that offered a counter to the narrative that the president is struggling in his role. His remarks before Congress and other top officials lasted for more than an hour and included unscripted exchanges with lawmakers in the room, illustrating his still-quick wit and spontaneity.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D., NY), the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, talked to Biden after the address and expressed a measure of relief. “Nobody’s going to talk about cognitive impairment now,” Nadler told the president.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lmaooo

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Eyyyy, I gotta Democracy Package you can save right heah *grabs crotch*

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ idk what that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zucfsg22SM

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

faggedabout citizens united package: $1,000,000

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol that they juiced up biden with 100% pure crystal methamphetamine and now people are saying is speech was presidential and not sad and deranged

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

the dems are also right now sending extra cops and national guardsmen into cities to crush left wing protests, they know how to use power just fine still they just don't want to use it to do any good

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

saving our democracy eat my rear end for 250k

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

it's not worth that much

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nadlers first name is "jerrold"? gently caress outta here.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yeah, but we can call him by his nickname, Pantsload.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Gorson posted:

it's not worth that much

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

:ok:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

cool is dead

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I was slowly scrolling down, and with each level I was foolishly thinking "Ok this must be the highest priced ticket"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1767326194783883297

Shot:
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1767299166781268448

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Self inflicted "wound" and found in his truck in the car park of the hotel he was staying at because he was giving testimony.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lmao of course

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Gumball Gumption posted:

Self inflicted "wound" and found in his truck in the car park of the hotel he was staying at because he was giving testimony.

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going (to live to testify)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Boeing said it was saddened to hear of Mr Barnett's passing. 

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
serious problems with oxygen systems, which could mean one in four breathing masks would not work in an emergency.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
lmfao. who gives a gently caress, right? You're probably not surviving a plane crash even if you could breathe. Ah, america :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They're actually pretty survivable all things considered when the planes work right. Those statistics are about to tank though lmao