Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

This game is so loving hard, man. Just trying to learn to shoot bugs and even evade them, but they're just on you, 24/7. Goddamn.

I guess once you have the muscle memory for strategems it helps. I tried a 'defend the point' mission, I guess, hard to do that solo when I can't even find the space to drop in my machine gun. And I'm not even on challenging, yet.

Getting real tempted to duck back into the easy tension of DRG haz5, but gotta figure out how to conquer these bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I just recently completed my first EXTREME mission and I gotta day the arc thrower is coming in pretty clutch.

The Spear can one shot a titan if it lands right. Other then that everything is like shooting bbs at a steel door.

A+ makes me fear for my life

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Aeble posted:

This game is so loving hard, man. Just trying to learn to shoot bugs and even evade them, but they're just on you, 24/7. Goddamn.

I guess once you have the muscle memory for strategems it helps. I tried a 'defend the point' mission, I guess, hard to do that solo when I can't even find the space to drop in my machine gun. And I'm not even on challenging, yet.

Getting real tempted to duck back into the easy tension of DRG haz5, but gotta figure out how to conquer these bugs.

Before the patch a few days ago the defend the point matches were brain dead easy. Then they changed a 4 to a 5 somewhere in the code and now it’s total pandemonium

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Molrok posted:

The marble blocks at the end of the tutorial, where you get your cape, contain the Helldiver Contract of Employment, which you agree to by being inside 15 meters of the stones for 1 second.

The contract includes stuff like:
- you are responsible for the material acquisitions for the Super Destroyer (cool reference to troops buying their own Kevlar during the Iraq War)
- you are not to disclose CONFIDENTIAL Super Earth intelligence pertaining to: products, prices, and seasonal discounts
- upon termination of the contract via you dying, your immediate relatives will receive 4.5 citizenship points (not exchangeable to cash equivalent)

There's also Appendix A which can be request for additional terms (to be delivered in standard 5 to 10 business years)

Also the terminal blurb at the start of the tutorial says it's Helldiver PRODUCTION, not training.
IIRC Article 3.2 states that reading the terms & conditions in full is considered a breach of the confidentiality clauses lol

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I finally got paid my 50 medals!... After getting kicked back to my ship when the host left. Go figure a hot streak of no kicks and voluntary exits was what was holding up my payments?

Molrok
May 30, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah with the insane contract you "sign" and the hyper individualism (imagined or not) its very much aimed at capitalism/fascism. The crew even reference how they have to pay for their service on the destroyer, but if they get approved they will get a voucher that redeems their expenditures lol.

One of the ship upgrades is updating the targeting software on your orbital guns to the SAAS PREMIUM version.

Paying invoices due never changes.

Molrok fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 11, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BeAuMaN posted:

Just snipping for brevity.

It's... a lot of things, in the broad strokes. It's primarily Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers with the serial numbers filed off... the game, as well as the first game, satired authoritarianism, fascism, imperialism, etc.
While one could try to draw more specific lines, most of the satire is going to be fairly shallow. It's always been a cool action game first with a funny satire flavor wrapped around it second (or even third).

I think it's also good to remember that Arrowhead is based in Sweden, which will likely inform the outlook of the developers.

The first game did seem to at one point or another make swipes at American Imperialism.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE5dajo4r1U
Yeah, even though it came out in 2015, Helldivers 1 was 100% European satire on the Bush administration's War on Terror + a Starship Troopers aesthetics. The Cyborgs were terrorists from Cyberstan, the Illuminate had dangerous WMDs, and the Bugs could be turned into oil.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aeble posted:

what level are you and what level are you playing at?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love when pubbies understand what they're supposed to do and you have them all just lobbing airstrikes, 500kg bombs, etc., into a ravine filled with bugs becaues the plane will be here in about 30 seconds so use em or lose em

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm debating taking a break until they (hopefully) unfuck the 100x spawn multiplier it feels like they turned on. The gameplay is great but infinite magically spawning enemies that all converge on you gets kinda old.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Nothing about enemy spawns feels different to me save for elimination missions, which they specifically doubled enemy spawnrates on because it was way too easy before.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah aside from the bugged insta-appear spawns now and then, actual intensity generally feels the same

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

what level are you and what level are you playing at?

I'm playing on 4 and I'm level 6.

Just switched to do my first bot mission (again solo) and got out by the skin of my teeth. Took a few failed orbital bombs to figure out that you needed to call down a special bomb to destroy stockpiles. At least the bots seem more kitable.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aeble posted:

Just switched to do my first bot mission (again solo) and got out by the skin of my teeth. Took a few failed orbital bombs to figure out that you needed to call down a special bomb to destroy stockpiles. At least the bots seem more kitable.

at level 10 you get a lot more toys to play with. you are playing at about the bleeding edge for someone brand new to the game, especially solo. it is balanced assuming you have teammates. its the same amount of bugs whether its 1 person or 4, so you are trying to beat a mission balanced around 4 level 6 guys or so by yourself. its doable but very rough given you don't have a ton of tools to kill that many bugs yet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sounds like it should be a fly-by-wire rocket for doing trick shots with.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah aside from the bugged insta-appear spawns now and then, actual intensity generally feels the same
Pretty sure those were around before too, I saw people complaining about patrols spawning on them not long after launch.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Aeble posted:

At least the bots seem more kitable.

The faction with primarily ranged enemies, including ones who can dome you with rockets at like 100m, is definitely not the more kitable one.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

causticBeet posted:

The faction with primarily ranged enemies, including ones who can dome you with rockets at like 100m, is definitely not the more kitable one.

They are more kitable, by virtue of being slower. Even their fast pursuit units (scout striders and melee hulks) can be outrun more easily than hunter swarms and chargers.

It takes getting used to and some learning of when you can turn to shoot and when you can't and weaving through cover, but ultimately the slower speed is a reason why Bots are considered an easier faction in many ways. They are meaner when you get bogged down or have to do objectives though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'd definitely recommend learning the game with teammates rather than running around solo.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Aeble posted:

From the bottom of my heart, this is not really a solo game.

The spawns are the same if you have 1 player or 4.

Just pick a desired difficulty level and planet then hit quick play. It has a really, really good chance of being a far better experience than playing solo. Matchmaking is nearly instant in my experience.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'd definitely recommend learning the game with teammates rather than running around solo.

This is accurate 100% IMHO.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Really enjoying the Arc Thrower against bugs. Paired with a guard dog rover you can single handedly shut down breaches unless it spawns a bunch of chargers/titans in a row.

The arc usually goes outward so as long as you don't have any fellow helldivers on the other side of the swarm you can just let loose. Not very efficient at killing chargers, but the fact that shot jumps to the small bugs means you can focus completely on dodging the chargers. Titans are a different story and definitely require some assistance, which I kinda been experimenting with the 110 rocket pods/autocannon turret/EATs

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

at level 10 you get a lot more toys to play with. you are playing at about the bleeding edge for someone brand new to the game, especially solo. it is balanced assuming you have teammates. its the same amount of bugs whether its 1 person or 4, so you are trying to beat a mission balanced around 4 level 6 guys or so by yourself. its doable but very rough given you don't have a ton of tools to kill that many bugs yet.

What, really? I assumed that the number of bugs had to scale to number of players, like in DRG. Is there a rationale for it not scaling?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Titans are a different story and definitely require some assistance, which I kinda been experimenting with the 110 rocket pods/autocannon turret/EATs

That's the same build I use ARC and Rover. It absolutely melts bugs.

Rocket turrets prioritize big enemies and the AC turret doesn't, just FYI.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Aeble posted:

What, really? I assumed that the number of bugs had to scale to number of players, like in DRG. Is there a rationale for it not scaling?

The rationale is they wanted to make a game balanced around a team.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Aeble posted:

It's a 4 player game. They did not build it for solo players.

Whether 1 player or 4 the numbers of spawns remain the same, so does enemy HP and everything else.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Aeble posted:

At least the bots seem more kitable.

:stonklol:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Spawns do scale to # of players, but its not linear at all. You certainly don't get 4x the spawns with 4 helldivers.

You can see this most clearly in eradicates. In an eradicate solo spawns come in pretty slowly. But you have to kill the same # of enemies as a full team so it takes *forever* relatively.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hey it’s pretty easy to kite a Hulk when it’s coming at you flamers akimbo and you’re out of AC ammo and oh god it’s getting closer gently caress gently caress SWEET LIBERTY NO

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't knew what breech loading was, which is what the super destroyer guns do, so I googled it........man Super Earth is cheap AF.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Not to go all r/Helldivers but they clearly hosed with spawning/enemy pathfinding after the last patch. Like poo poo just spawns right on top of/behind you and they just automatically know where you are. I can destroy an objective, run away, and watch a patrol go to the objective I destroyed (fair) then turn and follow the direction I went in despite not "seeing" me. And oops, an enemy patrol that didn't even exist on the radar is now right on top of me, and if I don't get spotted by them a third patrol just happens to start pathing directly to my exact current location from another direction. It is very blatant "player is at x, spawn patrol and send to x". This is without stratagems, gunfire, or doing anything to give away my actual position. poo poo's just getting spawned and sent to your current location, stealth be damned.

Yeah yeah I know reddit, but this thread has a whole discussion going about it. It's really bad and kills a lot of the fun for me. I hope they fix it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bc2bpe/omniscient_enemies_are_a_serious_problem/

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

reddit was correct all along

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Hakarne posted:

Not to go all r/Helldivers but they clearly hosed with spawning/enemy pathfinding after the last patch. Like poo poo just spawns right on top of/behind you and they just automatically know where you are. I can destroy an objective, run away, and watch a patrol go to the objective I destroyed (fair) then turn and follow the direction I went in despite not "seeing" me. And oops, an enemy patrol that didn't even exist on the radar is now right on top of me, and if I don't get spotted by them a third patrol just happens to start pathing directly to my exact current location from another direction. It is very blatant "player is at x, spawn patrol and send to x". This is without stratagems, gunfire, or doing anything to give away my actual position. poo poo's just getting spawned and sent to your current location, stealth be damned.

Yeah yeah I know reddit, but this thread has a whole discussion going about it. It's really bad and kills a lot of the fun for me. I hope they fix it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bc2bpe/omniscient_enemies_are_a_serious_problem/

I had this before the patch

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Worf posted:

reddit was correct all along

Alright time to kill the devs

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Guys I threw a beacon that shoots a light visible from space why are the enemies I've been killing this exact way for a month suddenly figuring out where I threw it from?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Guys I threw a beacon that shoots a light visible from space why are the enemies I've been killing this exact way for a month suddenly figuring out where I threw it from?

It's because they can smell you

Counter this behavior with the new shower module on your destroyer!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I dunno if this logic tracks. How does a light that shines directly up into the sky tell you the direction it was thrown from? You can throw a mine field down and the second an enemy steps on a mine the rest of his buds know your exact location. The frequency of patrols lately + their omniscient pathing has been pretty annoying when trying to play smart. You can still out play while maneuvering on the map if you have light gear and are sprinting and taking cover and stuff but when you're trying to take an objective and get hit with the funny business its pretty annoying tbh.

The game is built on systems colliding to create maximum chaos and fun, but when the seams on one of those systems starts to show it feels bad. Like if the enemy patrols could be tricked cleverly that'd be sweet.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Spawns do scale to # of players, but its not linear at all. You certainly don't get 4x the spawns with 4 helldivers.

You can see this most clearly in eradicates. In an eradicate solo spawns come in pretty slowly. But you have to kill the same # of enemies as a full team so it takes *forever* relatively.

Yeah if I had to guess, it's something like, if 100% is the maximum spawn rate, 1 player is 70%, 2 players is 80, 3 players is 90, etc

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

I had this before the patch

I think patrols popping out of thin air in front of you has gotten worse after the patch for sure, at least in bot games it seems to happen a lot

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

atelier morgan posted:

4 helldivers all with recoilless rifles, rotating tandem reloads to ensure that not a single dropship ever lands

We did that on a bug mission, and it was glorious. We broke into 2 man teams and scoured the map of bug holes and POIs, and the second someone flagged the Charger, we assumed the position, blew a leg off, then killed it dead. If you stick together and keep the small poo poo under control, it's absolutely dumb fun.

Also being sneaky saves you a TON of grief, just nod at the bug patrol and keep walking away. Vs. some newbie or a laser drone picking a fight and getting your team stuck in again.

I was running Orbital Shotgun, Eagle Cluster, RR and Eagle Airstrike, and we generally always had a callin up to thin the herds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Chillgamesh posted:

I think patrols popping out of thin air in front of you has gotten worse after the patch for sure, at least in bot games it seems to happen a lot

Yeah honestly this may be the only actual change/bug from the patch but it makes the omniscience of enemies glaringly bad. If they were redirecting existing patrols or spawning them a reasonable distance away it wouldn't be as bad or noticeable. Now they'll just pop in right next to you and oops now you're boxed in by enemies that appeared from nowhere