Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

You throw out Schwarber's BA like his OBP isn't still good.

Wasn't judging his effectiveness, just remarking on how times have changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wasn't judging his effectiveness, just remarking on how times have changed

I like him third. He can cause some damage especially if you don't want to walk the bases loaded, so he'll get a lot in the zone if he has someone solid batting behind him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Thought experiment: would it be theoretically possible to have a player with an OPS+ higher than their batting average?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Would take a drastic offensive drought among most of the other players, since OPS+ is expressed relative to league average or something like that; if everyone else is producing like an .050 hitter, a .100 hitter would presumably well above average and thus have an OPS+ higher than 100.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, I guess conceptually like, a 0/.800/0 hitter fits, but an actual human being with anything resembling a human slash line would need just an absolutely putrid run environment to be batting anywhere near a better OPS+ than average

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Thought experiment: would it be theoretically possible to have a player with an OPS+ higher than their batting average?

Going 1 for 8 every 8 ABs, where the one hit is a home run

BA of .125, OPS+ has to be higher than that....?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

that's still only a .500 slugging, so it's a .625 OPS, or like a tiny bit better than miguel rojas managed last season for the dodgers, and he had a 66 OPS+

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheFlyingLlama posted:

that's still only a .500 slugging, so it's a .625 OPS, or like a tiny bit better than miguel rojas managed last season for the dodgers, and he had a 66 OPS+

Bats 1 for every 8 ABs with a home run, walks eight times for each of those.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mdemone posted:

Bats 1 for every 8 ABs with a home run, walks eight times for each of those.

That's 1.063 OPS, which only Ohtani beat in the MLB last season. Ohtani's OPS+ was 184, so that would do it.

e: Minimum PA requirement is 502, which would mean this player would need to walk at least 19 more times in a season than Barry Bonds did in 2004.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 12, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

If I were to take a guess I'd say it's PCA > Caissie > Alcantara > Canario > Davis from most to least untouchable, although Caissie's been making quite the case since last year to be flipped with PCA. Alcantara is meanwhile still a lot of toolsy hype, Davis can't stay healthy, and Canario probably just gets squeezed out past a certain point unless there's a big OF injury or he proves he's a better 4th OF option than Tauchman.

PCA's got baseline value solely with his glove and legs, but he's had a miserable spring and I think he's gonna have to prove for longer he can hit in AAA before he gets another look. Caissie struck out way too much in AA last year but did it while putting up eye-boggling batted ball metrics, followed by doing nothing but hitting the poo poo out of the ball this spring. Feels like he could get fast-tracked up, especially since they've apparently been tinkering with having him at 1B as well.

Iowa is gonna rake all day with my friends Pete Crow-Armstrong and Owen Caissie and Matt Mervis :unsmith:

Seriously though I don't mind Tauchman as a 4th OF. If it was Rossy again I'd worry about him getting more PT and keeping Belli at 1st but I'm more confident Counsell will be smarter about how to handle the CF 1B 3B situations.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Player with the density of a neutron star, all thrown pitches immediately are pulled into his orbit causing HBP. But one time he swings and pops out just so his batting average is an actual number.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's 1.063 OPS, which only Ohtani beat in the MLB last season. Ohtani's OPS+ was 184, so that would do it.

e: Minimum PA requirement is 502, which would mean this player would need to walk at least 19 more times in a season than Barry Bonds did in 2004.

so all it takes is prime roids barry bonds with a 100% three true outcomes ratio

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Lord Of Texas posted:

Player with the density of a neutron star, all thrown pitches immediately are pulled into his orbit causing HBP. But one time he swings and pops out just so his batting average is an actual number.

He would only need one ball put in play to make it happen because his density would cause the ball to fly into him, making him out :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Lord Of Texas posted:

Player with the density of a neutron star

Assuming a person is a sphere with a radius of 26 cm (I curled up into a ball and had Poque measure me for an estimate) this player would have a mass of around 35,338,560,000,000,000 kg, which would make the player more massive than Mars's moon, Deimos.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Assuming a person is a sphere with a radius of 26 cm (I curled up into a ball and had Poque measure me for an estimate) this player would have a mass of around 35,338,560,000,000,000 kg, which would make the player more massive than Mars's moon, Deimos.

hahaha I love the dedication.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

For reference, that would be 273,942,326,000,000 tightly packed Bartolo Colons (at his possibly generous listed weight of 129kg)

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
These are the metrics I crave.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

He would only need one ball put in play to make it happen because his density would cause the ball to fly into him, making him out :v:

No, the escape velocity from that small a neutron star would be below the exit velocity off the bat

Edit: I think. Actually it might be close in the logarithmic sense of the word.

Sqrt(2GM/R) = Sqrt(2*6.67e-11*35e15/0.26^2)

lol

8.3 km/sec never mind

If the bat is one meter long, it's still 1.7 km/s but Shohei is always improving

mdemone fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 12, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mdemone posted:

No, the escape velocity from that small a neutron star would be below the exit velocity off the bat

Edit: I think. Actually it might be close in the logarithmic sense of the word.

Sqrt(2GM/R) = Sqrt(2*6.67e-11*35e15/0.26^2)

lol

8.3 km/sec never mind

since you're good at this: what is the slowest possible pitch you can throw and have it be a called strike?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intruder posted:

since you're good at this: what is the slowest possible pitch you can throw and have it be a called strike?

All possible launch angles can land inside a vertical zone. Higher angles just need more velocity to get there, normal pitching angles would still satisfy. Drop time depends on height so....

60 ft 6 inches = velocity * cos (launch angle) * time

So in the limit where you have 45 degrees launch angle, because it's the local minimum in both horizontal and vertical velocity space, you need the time to be such that the drop is less than v_0*t - 1/2 gt^2 = one foot or so

Looks like less than 60 ft/sec from my eyeballing it?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Now do it with wind resistance and spin

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JD Davis won his arb hearing and the Giants released him after signing Chapman, and because of a loophole in the CBA they only have to pay him a much lower amount in termination pay

Congrats bawfuls, the Giants are villains

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

JD Davis won his arb hearing and the Giants released him after signing Chapman, and because of a loophole in the CBA they only have to pay him a much lower amount in termination pay

Yeah I saw this and it's bullshit: they got off the hook for close to $5M and while Davis is now a free agent, it's late as hell in spring and he's probably going to have to settle for less than what he would have gotten in arb given nobody chose to claim him off waivers. And like don't get me wrong he's not some superstar, but he was a slightly above average bat worth 2.2 WAR last year. I imagine the MLBPA will have something to say about this loophole the next time the CBA comes due.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Intruder posted:

Jfc how brutal a look is that.

Also that is an absolutely awful clause, loving scumbag owners.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. That's some real cold poo poo lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
If Trea Turner keeps hitting like he did at the end of last season, I like him as a leadoff hitter. Move Schwarber down a few spots to use his power. Also, his OBP was also poo poo for, like, the first 8 weeks and he's notorious for slow starts. Small sample size, I know, but he's slashing .083/.185/.083 this spring.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

mdemone posted:

If the bat is one meter long, it's still 1.7 km/s but Shohei is always improving

This is achievable if Lance Lynn is pitching

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

If Trea Turner keeps hitting like he did at the end of last season, I like him as a leadoff hitter. Move Schwarber down a few spots to use his power. Also, his OBP was also poo poo for, like, the first 8 weeks and he's notorious for slow starts. Small sample size, I know, but he's slashing .083/.185/.083 this spring.

There is some evidence that having a speedster on 1st can help the batters behind them see more fastballs, in addition to that being intuitive

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/does-ronald-acuna-jr-help-his-teammates-see-more-fastballs/

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. That's some real cold poo poo lol

I remember the Jays doing this in the Ricciardi but can't quite remember the player. Maaaaaybe Bobby Kielty?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This player's schwarzchild radius is measured in picometers so I'm afraid that he would collapse into a singularity from which nothing, regardless of EV, could escape.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Sports literally adds nothing positive to my life.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I remember the Jays doing this in the Ricciardi but can't quite remember the player. Maaaaaybe Bobby Kielty?

Doesn't look like it was him cause they traded him for Ted Lilly

mcmagic posted:

It's largely the Jets fault TBH

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Looks like they didn't go to arbitration at all in the Ricciardi era?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Toronto_Blue_Jays_season

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Uh what about the SAS posting experience?!?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Putting a truly unsafe amount of my eggs in the New York Rangers basket right now.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What, you mean you don't get a rush when you see your overachieving Devils Jets Knicks(?) Yankees ok actually yeah I get it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It was Reed Johnson!

He settled for 3 million but because he was cut in spring training the Jays only owed him 500k

And it was in fact Ricciardi who did it.

Not sure if the rules are still the same and settled cases can be terminated like this still but I knew that 1/6th rule existed for a while.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 12, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Root for better teams or even players. Caitlin Clark is a good person to root for.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I been sayin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

It was Reed Johnson!

He settled for 3 million but because he was cut in spring training the Jays only owed him 500k

And it was in fact Ricciardi who did it.

Not sure if the rules are still the same and settled cases can be terminated like this still but I knew that 1/6th rule existed for a while.

Reed Johnson is such a "remember some guys?" type of player