Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Enemy detection is screwy in the other direction too - I've had big gunfights with a bunch of enemies and then turned around and realized that there were 3 or 4 more standing right over there at a POI, in plain sight, who still don't notice me until I take a few more steps towards them. Or snuck up behind a bot and blasted him in the back of the head, with his buddy standing 10 feet away not reacting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Orbital laser is op. Never misses, tracks to the big poo poo, fast cookdown.Toss it behind ya, it murders bugs trying to follow you. Toss it in front of ya and that bug nest is gone. Far more useful than any sentry.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fast? it'd be a stretch to call orbital laser's cooldown average, and it'd requires ignoring eagles

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LazyMaybe posted:

fast? it'd be a stretch to call orbital laser's cooldown average, and it'd requires ignoring eagles

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser, 110s, perfect loadout

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

magiccarpet posted:

Orbital laser is op. Never misses, tracks to the big poo poo, fast cookdown.Toss it behind ya, it murders bugs trying to follow you. Toss it in front of ya and that bug nest is gone. Far more useful than any sentry.

I have been having glorious luck with the EMP mortars, and also some real :stare: moments sprinting past an entire cluster gently caress of fat spitters piling up in a ditch waiting for the shock effects to end so they can start chasing my "lost my cannon a mile away" rear end returning to the team.

Flamethrower users seem to enjoy not having to worry about their targets leaping at them while they BBQ. I'm too in love with my autocannon to do more with the new flamethrower than burn myself to death a few times and go back to AC town. Honestly I am expecting the illuminate or whatever to be very specifically anti-autocannon built from all the doomsaying about how they are mother fuckers :ohdear:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BeAuMaN posted:

From Helldivers 2, here's a video with all the parody ads that play in the destroyer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55G4zAL2WLI

There's a mishmash of a lot of things being parodied here.

Anyhow, whatever the case, the flavor is fun. And it is fun to speculate about it.

I don't see the strong economy one in here with the line going through the bug, killing it. That one is my favorite.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Vs. some newbie or a laser drone picking a fight and getting your team stuck in again.

I used to think the same thing but it turned out I was wrong. Laser drones don't shoot until you draw aggro. You can sneak up on things and it does not fire, even in range, until you get spotted and draw aggro. It's pretty easy to test this for yourself.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Diff 4. Everything went to poo poo after I blew myself up with the mech. The person with 10 rare samples died they are matadoring the Charger while I grab the samples. The shuttle has 3 seconds left to depart and I'm making it in. Rank 7 Olivertwist turns and shotguns me in the face. 1 sample extracted.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Me, a genius:

*opens minimap*

*closes minimap*

Oh, that's not a bug. The reason I can't see my stratagems menu is because I'm playing with the minimap wide loving open.

:doh:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Aeble posted:

This game is so loving hard, man. Just trying to learn to shoot bugs and even evade them, but they're just on you, 24/7. Goddamn.

I guess once you have the muscle memory for strategems it helps. I tried a 'defend the point' mission, I guess, hard to do that solo when I can't even find the space to drop in my machine gun. And I'm not even on challenging, yet.

Getting real tempted to duck back into the easy tension of DRG haz5, but gotta figure out how to conquer these bugs.

If you can do haz5 well, you will adapt in barely four days to this poo poo, trust me.

The hardest thing imo... is teamwork. Because the map are usually open 500mx500m (?) maps, and there are primary, secondary and bonus objectives, people disperse easily, each wanting to go for different objectives. In DRG people also could separate but still it was easier to maintain coherence, because the tunnel restrict more the player movement.

Griz
May 21, 2001

LazyMaybe posted:

isn't it 5 minutes? I can dump like 4 eagle strikes and rearm before the laser is recharged, and you only get 3 lasers per mission

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The number of people treating this game like its Metal Gear Solid is some what surprising

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My only real complaint with this game is that when you lose, you lose in sort of a low-intensity crap way where the last player tries to stay alive to call in one more, then they try to stay alive to call in one more....you can spend 5+ minutes spectating between deaths if you're unlucky and everyone becomes a scaredy-cat.

If the Reinforcements hit zero they should bring everybody back, no more respawns, and you have 5 minutes to finish your objectives. Now that's intense!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

Enemy detection is screwy in the other direction too - I've had big gunfights with a bunch of enemies and then turned around and realized that there were 3 or 4 more standing right over there at a POI, in plain sight, who still don't notice me until I take a few more steps towards them. Or snuck up behind a bot and blasted him in the back of the head, with his buddy standing 10 feet away not reacting at all.

I think that one is intended in a weird way. until they've been aggroed, I think only enemies that are part of a patrol have the ability to hear things and all of the POI guard enemies won't react to you shooting nearby. it's consistently been that way for me since launch so I guess the idea is that fights aren't supposed to draw in POI guards.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i set up a voice attack profile so whenever i want a 500kg bomb i simply yell UP RIGHT DOWN DOWN DOWN

All my profiles are Democratic announcements,

"Capitalism is my friend!", gas bomb

"Reaganomics wasn't that bad!", 500k

" My insurance will cover that!" Orbital rail strike

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

RandomBlue posted:

I don't see the strong economy one in here with the line going through the bug, killing it. That one is my favorite.
Go to 13:54 on the video. Also one of my favorite ads. At the end :v:

quote:

Don't let your family get murdered. Spend your extra cash... TODAY!

Also like the voice ad/announcement about needing to fill out the application form for having a child.

afaik they added more voice ads recently. At least I don't recall certain ones being in this video.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 12, 2024

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Waffle House posted:

Has anyone had their stratagem menu just disappear? If so, were you able to get it back in any way?

I had it happen twice last night; I could still USE stratagems, but had to ask what the konami codes were until I memorized Reinforce.

Was your map up per chance? That's happened to me a couple times

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Chad Sexington posted:

Was your map up per chance? That's happened to me a couple times

Waffle House posted:

Me, a genius:

*opens minimap*

*closes minimap*

Oh, that's not a bug. The reason I can't see my stratagems menu is because I'm playing with the minimap wide loving open.

:doh:

e: It totally was, yes. I was a huge dumbass. Extremely smart man.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 12, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Griz posted:

isn't it 5 minutes? I can dump like 4 eagle strikes and rearm before the laser is recharged, and you only get 3 lasers per mission
Yes, 300 seconds aka 5 minutes at base. 7 and a half minutes with the campaign penalty that makes cooldowns 50% longer.
So it's both slow and limited uses, in exchange for being very general use. And for the record, lots of people seem to be taking it to kill bile titans with, but it's pretty strictly inferior against them compared to the orbital rail considering that you spend the whole laser slowly burning one down instead of instantly blasting off most of its HP with one shot that only has a 3.5 minute base cooldown instead.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ZeusCannon posted:

The number of people treating this game like its Metal Gear Solid is some what surprising

It’s surprising in the sense that before I was aware of how the game worked, I would not have guessed that’s what this game is.

But now that I’ve had it for a couple of weeks, I think it’s a logical extension of the amount of mobs and time to kill+ not only are you not gaining anything by killing random packs, technically, you’re losing because your time bonus will go down lol

It’s too easy to get bogged down in fights that mean nothing, so what am I going to do blow my cool downs and then be useless when I get to a base I have to clear? or avoid a trash fight that will not only not benefit me, but cost me.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

If you can do haz5 well, you will adapt in barely four days to this poo poo, trust me.

The hardest thing imo... is teamwork. Because the map are usually open 500mx500m (?) maps, and there are primary, secondary and bonus objectives, people disperse easily, each wanting to go for different objectives. In DRG people also could separate but still it was easier to maintain coherence, because the tunnel restrict more the player movement.

Gonna be honest, watching some diff 9 streams and it's not uncommon to see solos do their thing and rack up stuff and loot from across the map.

It really seemed to be about knowing the limits of your kit and pre planning appropriately. Yeah, stratagems have longer cool down times than it takes for you to be up to your neck again but it is possible to run and gun and kite until the next opportunity arises to clear.

It just doesn't feel good and it can definitely feel hopeless but from what I witnessed, and then put into practice myself, is that you should consider diversifying your stratagems for specific scenarios, instead of opting to be " the turret guy"

EAT's are a great example of being "in the heat of the moment" call ins , they sticky onto chargers (thank liberty!), and remember to try to focus one special at a time, especially chargers. Yes it gets harder when jumped on by hunters but if you have the right tools it gets just a hair easier, and always remember:

"You didn't become a Helldiver because you thought it was gonna be easy, did you?"

Edit: I will say they gotta fix spawns though, having mobs spawn in front of me 20m away is next level terrifying and not very democratic

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think they meant fast calldown, not fast cooldown

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BeAuMaN posted:

Go to 13:54 on the video. Also one of my favorite ads. At the end :v:

Also like the voice ad/announcement about needing to fill out the application form for having a child.

afaik they added more voice ads recently. At least I don't recall certain ones being in this video.

Ah thanks, I started watching that one but thought it was a different one.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

It kicks rear end to be a commando IMHO

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If the Reinforcements hit zero they should bring everybody back, no more respawns, and you have 5 minutes to finish your objectives. Now that's intense!

This would be amazing. Have the defender bark put something about inefficient use of super earth combat assets and this being the crews final chance to achieve the mission.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's because they can smell you

Counter this behavior with the new shower module on your destroyer!

Apparently the Democracy Officer has a personal spa on the Super Destroyer.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

PSA don't park a mech next to the extraction ship. Just lost super samples since the guy covering us in the mech got out, was slightly too slow in getting on the ramp and then the bugs blew up the mech and killed me and another guy that was holding the supers INSIDE THE PELICAN. Somehow the other 2 were just fine though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Amazing Member posted:

Gonna be honest, watching some diff 9 streams and it's not uncommon to see solos do their thing and rack up stuff and loot from across the map.

It really seemed to be about knowing the limits of your kit and pre planning appropriately. Yeah, stratagems have longer cool down times than it takes for you to be up to your neck again but it is possible to run and gun and kite until the next opportunity arises to clear.

It just doesn't feel good and it can definitely feel hopeless but from what I witnessed, and then put into practice myself, is that you should consider diversifying your stratagems for specific scenarios, instead of opting to be " the turret guy"

EAT's are a great example of being "in the heat of the moment" call ins , they sticky onto chargers (thank liberty!), and remember to try to focus one special at a time, especially chargers. Yes it gets harder when jumped on by hunters but if you have the right tools it gets just a hair easier, and always remember:

"You didn't become a Helldiver because you thought it was gonna be easy, did you?"

Edit: I will say they gotta fix spawns though, having mobs spawn in front of me 20m away is next level terrifying and not very democratic

There's a cooldown between the drop ship / bug hole callins. A competent solo cowboy can wait for the other 3 to hit a call-in and can solo smoke an outpost and loot relatively unmolested. It's not a bad strategy, honestly.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

PSA don't park a mech next to the extraction ship. Just lost super samples since the guy covering us in the mech got out, was slightly too slow in getting on the ramp and then the bugs blew up the mech and killed me and another guy that was holding the supers INSIDE THE PELICAN. Somehow the other 2 were just fine though.

you can totally die inside the pelican and it's nigh impossible for anyone to get your samples if you do

i discovered this by doming my friend with a senator while he was sitting there, which in my defence i did not expect to work. he had samples that ended up wedged into the ship's model directly under where he was sitting and it took us like 5 minutes of diving into the side to clip in far enough to retrieve them

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Picked this up last night and my brother and I played about 4 hours. One thing I was wondering about, if you don't extract at the end of the mission, what happens? Do you keep fighting until the end, or is there a game over screen? And do you get any of the loot?

Assuming other people survive, that is.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

you can totally die inside the pelican and it's nigh impossible for anyone to get your samples if you do

i discovered this by doming my friend with a senator while he was sitting there, which in my defence i did not expect to work. he had samples that ended up wedged into the ship's model directly under where he was sitting and it took us like 5 minutes of diving into the side to clip in far enough to retrieve them

I figured you were basically totally immune to enemy attacks and bullets once you were in there but i guess you're not?!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Leave posted:

Picked this up last night and my brother and I played about 4 hours. One thing I was wondering about, if you don't extract at the end of the mission, what happens? Do you keep fighting until the end, or is there a game over screen? And do you get any of the loot?

After the time limit you can't call in any stratagems or reinforcements so you basically just have to finish the mission/extract with what you have (there is a special evac shuttle if you go evac)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

After the time limit you can't call in any stratagems or reinforcements so you basically just have to finish the mission/extract with what you have (there is a special evac shuttle if you go evac)

Oh, neat! A guy blew himself up with an airstrike before he was able to reach the Pelican, and the rest of us took off, kind of stunned. We had plenty of time and reinforcements left though, so could he have finished up himself?

butt pound foolish
Oct 27, 2020

I don’t know if it’s a bug or intended, but I love how I’ll be aiming down sights at something while a pack of bugs will sneak up behind me and sit there quietly until I turn around.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

As soon as someone gets in the shuttle it starts a take off count down. If people holding samples don't get in the shuttle then no one gets those samples.

If everyone dies but you completed the mission you still get most of the xp and rewards you would have otherwise, but still no samples because no one got on board the pelican back to ship.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So lately I've been running around with the +radar and 30% reduce detection armor, radar booster, anti matter rifle, slugger, emp orbital, and supply pack.

I'll probably swap around some stuff once new things release, but being able to lock stuff down with the emp and then dome them has been a riot. The slugger hits hard enough and staggers so I can run if I get swarmed, plus the ability to reload instead of waste ammo, the supplies give me the stims to stay alive, and the missile turret hits the big stuff so I can pop it from a distance or focus down something.

It's been a really fun playstyle, but its not great for super hard stuff that has a billion mobs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LuiCypher posted:

It's a satire/dig at any kind of authoritarian regime, which includes Soviet/Chinese communism (note: neither of these systems are truly Communist and are instead bastardizations of Communism, hence the use of the lowercase c for them). If you want me to make the parallel with Chinese communism even clearer, Deng Xiaoping's great innovation was introducing/espousing "capitalism with Chinese characteristics" which sounds an awful lot like the kind of "capitalism" being practiced by Super Earth. As a critique of Western Democracy though, I think it falls a bit short.

If you want to use terms like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" though, you have to realize that now you're starting a discussion about international relations theory. First off, there isn't any specific term like "Neoliberal Capitalist Doctrine" within the context of international relations theory. It's a gobbledygook term thrown together by stringing together a bunch of buzzwords in what I assume to be an effort to win Leftist Bingo. That's not meant to be a criticism of you as a person, but it's a fair criticism of modern political thought regardless of where you fall on the spectrum. Really, all three terms together reads a lot to me like "ATM Machine" - ultimately, they're all very redundant with one another and kind of silly put together like that.

Regardless of intent and actual definitions though, the point you're trying to make is that Super Earth in and of itself is a critique of just Neoliberalism as a whole, full stop. That's where I think it falls short. Neoliberalism isn't necessarily about the state itself trending towards authoritarianism. In fact, authoritarianism itself often runs counter to neoliberalist goals - neoliberals specifically do not want government interference in domestic, particularly economic affairs (as that would undermine private enterprise and free markets) and authoritarian states are pretty much textbook government interference in all aspects of life - be they political, social, or economic. As Neoliberalism relates to other countries, it's mainly focused on spreading democracy - ideally one similar to your own focused on deregulation and lack of government interference - to other states as a way to introduce instability/deregulations into the world. Said instability is fostered in order to maintain a global underclass as a source of cheap labor and raw materials for consumption by private corporations in the neoliberalist state and to maintain the state as the pre-eminent power in the world. You do have an argument there with their insistence on spreading "managed democracy", but the spread of managed democracy is less about having other humans with divergent political systems/thoughts adopt democracy and more about bringing worlds and access to their raw resources under the direct control of Super Earth.

That... doesn't really work when everyone is under the same government, like you see with Super Earth. Granted, we don't really know a ton about Super Earth other than that it's an authoritarian regime that is a democracy in name only. Again though, those two ideas together sound less like a satire/parody of a western democracy/neoliberalist systems like the United States and more of a satire/parody of Russian Democracy (which given that it is under the control of ex-Soviets is really just a rebrand of Soviet communism using a capitalist paradigm kind of like you see with...) and Chinese communism.

The fact that they like to use the term "freedom" a lot makes it sound like it's supposed to be a satire of democracies like the United States, but the use of lofty terms like freedom isn't exclusive to neoconservative propaganda and is, in fact, quite a common term used by authoritarian regimes. For example - The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (we've got three terms related to democracy/freedom in the name of the state alone, and I think we're all in agreement that it's anything but).

nah

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Me and a buddy were doing an exterminate mission earlier and both got our mechs down near the end and went back to back like that bit in Matrix 3 while the 2 pubbies continued blasting and calling in air strikes. It was badass. There’s also nothing like being chased by a huge bug horde and seeing your friend on voice chat come over the hill in a mech. And just start absolutely ripping bullets and rockets right over your shoulder.

This has to be the most cinematic non-“linear action/rpg game” ever right?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

First game handled this by just having "Here's the mech with autocannons, here's the one with flamethrowers, etc." which will work until they add way more mech-based weapons and then we have 8 different varieties of mechs possible to call down

Would be cool if it was one strategem for calldown and you equipped your mech like you equip yourself before a mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FunkyFjord posted:

As soon as someone gets in the shuttle it starts a take off count down. If people holding samples don't get in the shuttle then no one gets those samples.

If everyone dies but you completed the mission you still get most of the xp and rewards you would have otherwise, but still no samples because no one got on board the pelican back to ship.

Thank you! I'm glad it's not super punishing; that takes some stress off the end of a mission.