Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Medullah posted:

Next question. This round I'm playing easy so it doesn't really matter much, but I want to get a better understanding of the systems. Looking at my Druid, picked two different weapons - a staff with Shillelagh activated and a mace. She has proficiency in both.

Looking at the Mace it shows the damage on the item screen as 10-20 and the staff as 7-14 damage, however on the actual character sheet they show identical Attack Bonus and Damage. Is the attack bonus rating not taking the 1d6 poison from the Mace into effect?

[9-14]+1d6 is 10-20, yes. I think you can mouse over the numbers to see the factors? I don't know why the mace has +2 attack/damage over the staff without it though - I assume it's 18 wisdom too and the weapon bonus is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Caphi posted:

[9-14]+1d6 is 10-20, yes. I think you can mouse over the numbers to see the factors? I don't know why the mace has +2 attack/damage over the staff without it though - I assume it's 18 wisdom too and the weapon bonus is the same.

Yeah I'm mostly just trying to figure out what's "best" and the damage changing from when you look at it in inventory and when it's equipped is confusing me. The Mace has a 18 strength boost but nothing for Wisdom.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Related to the above, as a new player, what are the most important summary numbers to look at when comparing equipment / skills/ whatever?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well, for weapons specifically, anything with a +X enhancement bonus is better than you might think at a glance - a +1 weapon gets +1 to damage and to its attack rolls. This makes you more likely to hit stuff with your attacks, which means you do damage more often, on top of doing slightly more damage per hit. Enhancement bonuses are super important for fighty classes.

All other things being equal, a +1 weapon that does 1d8 damage is almost universally better than an ordinary weapon that does 1d10 (or even 1d12), even though it has a smaller damage die. This is doubly true when you run into a monster that resists damage from nonmagical attacks!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Medullah posted:

So I'm sitting on a ton of Infernal Iron along with Enriched Infernal Iron in late Act 3. I go to Dammon with Karlach and there's no dialogue options for further upgrades, and her story is showing complete on my quest list - is there anything to do with it other than sell it?

Once you get the armor set, no.

Also, why are there no boots in that set?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grack posted:

Once you get the armor set, no.

Also, why are there no boots in that set?

There are, they're located in a chest at the very top of Wyrm's Rock Fortress. Probably one of the most missable items in the entire game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's a good joke that the first two magic weapons you can get in the game without buying them are a +1 dagger and shortsword and feels a little like a lesson that way. The dagger has the same mean damage as a shortsword/scimitar with a tighter variance and a +1 to hit, and the shortsword has the same thing with all the d8 weapons. Finesse characters should be slampicking the shortsword even if they're normally duelists, and you can even argue the dagger is better than a d8 if you have it (dagger and shield does look pretty goofy though).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Related to the above, as a new player, what are the most important summary numbers to look at when comparing equipment / skills/ whatever?

Keep in mind the top-line damage is going to look different based on who you currently have selected.

exquisite tea posted:

There are, they're located in a chest at the very top of Wyrm's Rock Fortress. Probably one of the most missable items in the entire game.

Oh hey, I got these on my first playthrough.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Lobok posted:

Keep in mind the top-line damage is going to look different based on who you currently have selected.

Oh hey, I got these on my first playthrough.

Note you have to get the boots pre coronation or you'll perma aggro gortash et al

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Saraiguma posted:

Note you have to get the boots pre coronation or you'll perma aggro gortash et al

I'm a rogue I got that. Threw a resonance stone in his pocket, and took two reflecto guards I forgot to use at the finale.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saraiguma posted:

Like he'll see me wearing them and go all "bitch stole my look" rage on me?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

He just says if he sees you without the stone again then it’s on sight.

And doing crime interactions will complete the quest Make a deal with Gortash. I tried to disarm some traps…

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lobok posted:

Like he'll see me wearing them and go all "bitch stole my look" rage on me?

I swiped Gortash's weird flame tipped boots for my own character and every single time they showed up in cutscenes I laughed. More clownshoes than Dribbles.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I had to move Raphael because Astarion's corpse was stuck under him so I couldn't target him for a ressurection, so I picked up his corpse and sent it to camp. So I now have a Devil's corpse just chilling in my vault.

Just for kicks I decided to see if I could use Animate Dead on it and....haha it worked. Sadly it just turned it into a mummy.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Speaking of defiling corpses I just killed (act 3 spoilers) the Emperor after fighting Ansur by switching characters mid-conversation and he drops an ear despite not having ears

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Speaking of defiling corpses I just killed (act 3 spoilers) the Emperor after fighting Ansur by switching characters mid-conversation and he drops an ear despite not having ears

Uh... How does that interact with what's coming up?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I don't expect it to do anything but I said the same thing about killing Mizora and that turned out to be wrong. The reason I say it this time is because on my last run, when I was in the Astral Prism during the finale, I stacked loads of explosives around Emp and set them off, the event log specifically said 'Shart killed The Emperor', but it still played the cutscene of him fleeing and he still showed up for the final fight. Karlach killing Emp just now didn't end the cutscene for Jaheira either. So it looks like he doesn't behave the way Mizora does.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've been playing through this for the first time nearing the end of act 2 and is anyone else kind of frustrated at just how many plot twists, reveals, and big giant stake-upping spectacles there are in this game, especially for what is a fairly low-level adventure. I'm at 9th level and the tension and stakes seem even higher than BG2: Throne of Bhaal (level 20+). Plus so many things are spoilers you can't browse the Forgotten Realms wiki to contextualize the game without inadvertently learning the funny respec skellington guy is an avatar of Jergal who has a major role to play in Act 3 or the like.

Also Gale + Gloves of Dexterity + Medium Armor Proficiency + Lothinder's +2 scimitar = :staredog:

:getin:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 12, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For what it’s worth the thing you spoilered is not really a plot point at all. His identity is never even explicitly revealed although there are a few books as early as act 1 that make it pretty clear.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Another thing I discovered is that Sorcadin really isn't worth it unless you're willing to put a bunch of sorc levels in and play it like a full caster, if you're just going for a smitetank/mini-cleric single class paladin has a ton more health, better attack bonuses, and roughly the same number of spell slots. You can't even really use metamagic to power up your smites because they're tied to melee to-hit/attacks per round. I could feel my main really falling behind after 7th level and reclassing him to a basic paladin brought him back up to snuff and gave him around 30 extra HP with the Durable feat. At the beginning of the game when I dipped into sorcerer I was expecting to get a lot more 1st level spell slots for doing so but nope. I basically gave myself an HP/attack bonus/feat penalty for no gain.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 12, 2024

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Paladins are massively buffed in both flexibility and fun by the one-two of all the subclasses having important holes in their channel divinity options filled and spell prep scaling by their full level. It's actually a big factor in me not being able to get into my ranger playthrough, because rangers have the base 5e situation of getting a small number of spells known out of a small spell pool that they then have to work to make work. I kind of hate the "smite slots" meme (and the 5e design, such as it is, that led to it) because support paladins in BG3 are insanely spoiled.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Maybe my intiial sorc spell choice was also pretty bad as I hadn't yet gotten used to the game system and picked Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb which are completely useless for a melee character in heavy armor who fights at the front.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doing what will probably be my last playthrough barring major changes and having a hard time convincing myself that Oskar needs his ransom paid.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oskar is one of the biggest assholes in the entire game despite some serious competition there.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea Oskar quest sucks rear end gently caress that busted rear end ghost mansion

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The current third comment on Raphael's Final Act is "My only regret is that I'll never be able to experience this song for the first time again" and I gotta agree. I think it's possibly the coolest moment in gaming since Polito's office walls melted.

slave to my cravings posted:

Yea Oskar quest sucks rear end gently caress that busted rear end ghost mansion
I hope they left the bug where he'll paint a portrait of someone who's not even in the party.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

The current third comment on Raphael's Final Act is "My only regret is that I'll never be able to experience this song for the first time again" and I gotta agree. I think it's possibly the coolest moment in gaming since Polito's office walls melted

Yeah that poo poo ruled

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Woolie Wool posted:

Another thing I discovered is that Sorcadin really isn't worth it unless you're willing to put a bunch of sorc levels in and play it like a full caster, if you're just going for a smitetank/mini-cleric single class paladin has a ton more health, better attack bonuses, and roughly the same number of spell slots. You can't even really use metamagic to power up your smites because they're tied to melee to-hit/attacks per round. I could feel my main really falling behind after 7th level and reclassing him to a basic paladin brought him back up to snuff and gave him around 30 extra HP with the Durable feat. At the beginning of the game when I dipped into sorcerer I was expecting to get a lot more 1st level spell slots for doing so but nope. I basically gave myself an HP/attack bonus/feat penalty for no gain.

There's a ring in act 3 that lets you cast as a bonus action after making an attack that is crucial for this build. You hit something, hold person (or similar) on as many targets as possible then crit smite the things you've paralyzed. You will get more spell slots faster with sorcerer levels, paladin is only a half caster. You probably want to have paladin 6 or 7 depending on the subclass for their auras then the rest sorc. Start level 1 as a sorc so you get constitution saving throw proficiency. But yeah I'd play up until 7 or 8 as a straight paladin then respec. Also you could do paladin 2/college or swords bard 10. At bard level 10 you get to chose two spells from the magical secrets list. On this list is banishing smite which does weapon + 5d10 force damage and can banish it's target. This is the only way to get this spell in the game I believe.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

The current third comment on Raphael's Final Act is "My only regret is that I'll never be able to experience this song for the first time again" and I gotta agree. I think it's possibly the coolest moment in gaming since Polito's office walls melted.

I still remember mouthing "what on earth?" the first time I went into that fight and that music started blaring.

LIIIIIVES
ALL MORTAL LIIIIIIVES
EXPIIIIIIIRE

SOULS
GO TO THEIR DOOOOOM
IN FLAAAAAMES

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 12, 2024

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

6/6 is my preferred sorcadin build and it is vastly better than full paladin imo. You can beat the game with anything though and mono paladin is definitely not bad. You’re right that the first at least 5 levels should be in paladin because extra attack is the best

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I still remember mouthing "what on earth?" the first time I went into that fight and that music started blaring.

LIIIIIVES
ALL MORTAL LIIIIIIVES
EXPIIIIIIIRE

SOULS
GO TO THEIR DOOOOOM
IN FLAAAAAMES

Honestly one of the coolest moments in one of the coolest games, it was an amazing capstone to the whole thing before you buckle down and go save the world. Loved it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

finished act 2 on my hm run and the more times I play, the more I feel like making illithids the main plot instead of Orpheus really detracts from the story. would be great if future content expands on that story because it always engages me much more than the main plot and ending. act 1 and 2 could have had some other macguffin to get you to Moonrise and act 3 could end on the House of Hope. my last run before this I basically just lost interest after hoh and never bothered to do the final area/battle.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zodium posted:

finished act 2 on my hm run and the more times I play, the more I feel like making illithids the main plot instead of Orpheus really detracts from the story. would be great if future content expands on that story because it always engages me much more than the main plot and ending. act 1 and 2 could have had some other macguffin to get you to Moonrise and act 3 could end on the House of Hope. my last run before this I basically just lost interest after hoh and never bothered to do the final area/battle.

For Orpheus to function as the main plot he'd need to be anything other than a wet blanket when he finally shows up. God was he disappointing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What are you talking about my man really did us a solid turning illithid within minutes of meeting us so that the rest of my party could continue their hot girl summer.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Always fornicate in front of Orpheus

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

exquisite tea posted:

What are you talking about my man really did us a solid turning illithid within minutes of meeting us so that the rest of my party could continue their hot girl summer.

*thinks about all the himbos back at the camp*

Yeah, this should be the game subtitle. Or first DLC

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Okay so as someone who just started I am annoyed that (early game spoilers) when I save Findal in the underground passage with Sazza in my party he immediately turns hostile. Seems quite dumb. One instance where I am not ashamed to savescum the persuasion check.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Just lol if this isn’t how you played it. Oh cool a (kind of literal?) deus ex machina that will absolve me of having to make any hard choices for my homies? Sign me up

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Orpheus flew so my mc could walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Just lol if this isn’t how you played it. Oh cool a (kind of literal?) deus ex machina that will absolve me of having to make any hard choices for my homies? Sign me up

I did it to karlach on my first run so she wouldn't blow up