Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Thank ancient (BC) North Africa and the Middle East for probably inventing deep frying. Thank Spain for introducing deep frying to the Americas and thus to the potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sweet potato fries are the top tier on the tech tree

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

:same:

I'd even expand that to all varieties of legumes. Legumes are great. I was going to say that I didn't know if I'd ever tried lima beans, but it turns out they're butter beans and I eat them all the time.

Boiled peanuts are God's food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

But they're sweet?!?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mushika posted:

Boiled peanuts are God's food.

I'm pretty meh on peanuts in general so you better have a kickass recipe to back up this claim.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

By popular demand posted:

I'm pretty meh on peanuts in general so you better have a kickass recipe to back up this claim.

Well, it's not green peanut season so any recipe I have is kinda moot. Regardless, I find that people are very divided about boiled peanuts. I'll jam up on some gas station boiled peanuts (which is a thing around here) but I'll also get a big pot of artisanal 'nuts going with lots of herbs, alliums, and citrus. Maybe when August rolls around, I'll start a boiled peanut thread in Goons With Spoons. My brother, the chef of our family, is actually the expert. He cans different recipes each year, but I don't know why he bothers with the canning part because they don't last.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Boiled peanuts just makes me think about "activated almonds"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Don't bother, I thought you start with dry raw peanuts.
Turns out green peanuts are not available in my parts. this sucks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Do you remember the fragrence of peanuts, the rich roasted flavor, the subtle sweetness and bold crunch?
Now what if you didn't have any of that?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah but you throw some Cajun spices in there, boil 'em up slow, and it's better than you might reasonably expect.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Y'all don't even know. Boiled peanuts? World unto itself. Dizzy Gillespie even wrote a song about it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

Yeah but you throw some Cajun spices in there, boil 'em up slow, and it's better than you might reasonably expect.

yeah it's the expectation that they'll be like peanuts that gets people in trouble. they're much more like beans

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

eke out posted:

yeah it's the expectation that they'll be like peanuts that gets people in trouble. they're much more like beans

This discussion began dealing with legumes.

e: I apologize if I come off as antagonistic, I've been at work all night.

Mushika has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Mar 11, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

eke out posted:

You'd have to be a real goober to think that!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

eke out posted:

They're pretty similar to eating edamame, come to think of it.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

You'd have to be a real goober to think that!

I think we have a thread title right there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What about peanuts and Coke, is that also god's own food?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Boiled peanuts are all pea, no nut.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What about peanuts and Coke, is that also god's own food?

No. Roasted peanuts and RC Cola, maybe call me.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Brawnfire posted:

Imho sweet potato fries shouldn't be called fries. They are their own thing and are always slightly soggy compared to deep fried potatoes. They aren't as satisfying and also are not great vehicles for chicken salt, the king of spices.

They are however pretty good as a slightly healthier side. Please consider alternative names such as planks, sticks, bits, julienne, etc.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Also sweet potatoes are universally gross.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

UwUnabomber posted:

The orange ones are bad but the white and purple varieties are ok.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

UwUnabomber posted:

You're universally gross

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tiggum posted:

The orange ones are bad but the white and purple varieties are ok.

Counterpoint: Sweet potato hash is incredible.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

A Perfect Twist posted:

Imho sweet potato fries shouldn't be called fries. They are their own thing and are always slightly soggy compared to deep fried potatoes. They aren't as satisfying and also are not great vehicles for chicken salt, the king of spices.

They are however pretty good as a slightly healthier side. Please consider alternative names such as planks, sticks, bits, julienne, etc.

the only time I think I've *enjoyed* sweet potato fries as opposed to kinda just tolerated them is a place called Estrella Negra here in Chicago which is run by two like 2nd/third generation Mexican guys, like they're born and raised here with Mexican heritage. All their food kicks rear end but they do sweet potatoes fries that lean into the sweetness and make them basically a dessert, with cinnamon and an agave drizzle and stuff. They're not trying to be fries at all

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

more falafel please posted:

the only time I think I've *enjoyed* sweet potato fries as opposed to kinda just tolerated them is a place called Estrella Negra here in Chicago which is run by two like 2nd/third generation Mexican guys, like they're born and raised here with Mexican heritage. All their food kicks rear end but they do sweet potatoes fries that lean into the sweetness and make them basically a dessert, with cinnamon and an agave drizzle and stuff. They're not trying to be fries at all

Sounds like the maple chipotle glazed sweet potato fries the mexican place by me used to make. God I miss those.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus that's gross.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

more falafel please posted:

That sounds great!

I like sweet potato but I just think they don't work as fries like potatoes do. Sweet potatoes can make a good change-up from jacket potatoes (this is done in the middle east a lot) and it's fine but potatoes are just better as deep fried chips. Plus the sweet potato fries are usually more expensive than potato fries.

Taro is delicious if you really want to lean into a more dessert tasting tuber.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

maple chipotle glazed sweet potato fries

Come visit my NAFTA themed food truck

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Japanese sweet potatoes, which are red purple on the outside and yellow white inside, are incredibly delicious. They have a subtle chestnut flavor and starchier, more crumbly interior than the stringier and mushier orange sweet potato. I could see how the texture of orange sweet potato might turn some people off if you're expecting a normal potato.

That said I like them all better than regular potatoes which I don't like very much. The thin skinned red normal potatoes are ok but the ones with thick tough brown skin are kind of gross. I don't cook potatoes often tbh for this reason

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

eke out posted:

Oh, I get it. They're as different to roasted peanuts as pickled walnuts are to the actual walnut.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It definitely seems to be harder to get sweet potato fries properly crispy, but when it happens, it's great. They can carry some seasonings that just wouldn't work as well on potato fries.

Another underappreciated option is boniato fries. They're pretty much in between, a slight hint of sweetness. You pretty much have to deep fry them though, a light coating of oil won't do much. (This might be the same thing they use in Japan, I wouldn't know)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/WahyuYordan/status/1767797094046482615?t=Po3jtIVuAzb1FhvOj8FdQA&s=19

Reversible sunny side up

Bougainvillea flower omelette

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Serving 8 of a 15 course molecular gastronomy tasting menu. You paid $750 for this,

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Bougainvillea flower omelette

The waiter brings in an autoclave with a silver cloche. He lifts the cloche to reveal a glass bell with a swirling yellow and purple vapor inside.

He hands you an antique chinese opium pipe and lights a brazier.

-- Get ready for when I lift the glas. You huff it!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think people can interact with a lovely ai image

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I said chocolate-covered MINTS

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it appears @WahyuYordan is doing cursed food everyday for Ramadhan. Here's a pandan-infused omelette

https://twitter.com/WahyuYordan/status/1768120890838118633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If only he added some flour, Pandan seems like it'd work great for sweet pancakes.