Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tailscale runs on an Apple TV so if you already have one it could be an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just run Tailscale on the different devices/VMs I want as end-points, because then I don’t have to worry about addressing overlap when I’m on some hotel network that uses the same RFC1918 choice I do.

Also lets me share individual services/devices with people instead of having to let my kid’s friend onto the whole network so they can join the Minecraft server.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kibner posted:

Is there an affordable router that is an ASIC with POE and has the ability to do site-to-site VPN?

My partner’s mom is currently using some Google puck-looking router for a home with several dozen new and old devices and we want to upgrade it. The site-to-site VPN would be handy because they don’t have an always-on computer we could put tailscale or something on but we would like to remotely access without opening the router up to the wider internet.

It would be going inside a media and server closet so keeping the heat output low is beneficial (hence ASIC). They also have some POE APs already, so the POE would be helpful to remove the power cords and give greater mounting flexibility.

You could just get a Pi or something, throw tailscale on that, and expose their subnet to allow you to remote in if you want. Would be much cheaper.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kibner posted:

Is there an affordable router that is an ASIC with POE and has the ability to do site-to-site VPN?

My partner’s mom is currently using some Google puck-looking router for a home with several dozen new and old devices and we want to upgrade it. The site-to-site VPN would be handy because they don’t have an always-on computer we could put tailscale or something on but we would like to remotely access without opening the router up to the wider internet.

It would be going inside a media and server closet so keeping the heat output low is beneficial (hence ASIC). They also have some POE APs already, so the POE would be helpful to remove the power cords and give greater mounting flexibility.

Sounds similar to my current plan with my parents upcoming retirement house. That plan is to Site-to-Site my UXG-Pro to a UXG-Lite that i'll pair with a USW-Ultra-60W and an AP.

But if you don't have commonality in hardware than a little DIY solution with tailscale will be your cheapest bet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll take a look at that Microtik and also consider getting a cheaper router and pairing it with a Pi running Tailscale.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a simple five port gigabit copper switch that has a single SFP port capable of talking to a Ubiquiti BiDi single mode UF-SM-1G-S transceiver (with a suitable SFP module of course.)?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Netgear GS108X is an 8-port dumb switch with SFP and reasonably cheap?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's well over a hundred bucks/euros where I am and will the SFP+ port talk SFP?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GS ?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bolind posted:

It's well over a hundred bucks/euros where I am and will the SFP+ port talk SFP?

"Fiberoptic" and "Cheap" are not compatible.

Normally an SFP+ module will not work in an SFP port, since SFP is limited to gigabit. Often an SFP+ port can negotiate down to gig to accept and SFP module. The UF-SM-1G-S says its "1.25Gbps" and This old datasheet lists it as SFP, so you should be good.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 4, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you already have an all-copper switch and want to minimize cost, you could look for an SFP media converter instead. Probably cheaper than a whole new switch, just not quite as clean from a wiring perspective.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bidi optics suggests you're paying for the fibre on a per-strand basis and maybe going a long way with it, you do sort of want something that can read the DOM stuff off the SFP.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm no expert on long runs but my parents' home fiber connection has an ISP-provided router with a BiDi SFP inside. I don't think they even know what an SFP is, much less have any interest in measuring its temperature or Tx/Rx values. If you're the one responsible for managing the actual fiber connection then yeah, I guess signal strength monitoring is nice, but OP didn't mention a managed switch either so I figured they just had an already active line they wanted to bring up for cheap.

My protests aside, it is a good point that you should get a managed switch if you want more details on what your SFP is doing than "light is on, it's working".

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 4, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Isp router has a bidi optic on the lan side? Why are you replacing it with a dumb switch? I don't understand how that is intended to work.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
No. bolind asked for a "simple" (which I read as at least potentially unmanaged, IDK) copper switch with an SFP port for use with a BiDi optic.

I, thinking "well, maybe you already have a switch" suggested that they could try a media converter instead. I will admit that I haven't specifically tried these with BiDi optics, but I figured SFPs are at least somewhat a standard and it would probably work.

Thanks Ants suggested that a media converter would be a poor choice, because you can't use DOM through an unmanaged device and this is particularly important for a BiDi optic.

I agree that you can't use DOM through an unmanaged device. However, OP asked for a "simple" switch and this is the home networking thread, so I gave the example of my parents' router as a BiDi optic that is working fine in a home environment without any active monitoring as far as I know. I am not planning on replacing this, I mentioned it purely as an example.

I admit upon further reflection that there is some utility in the ISP being able to monitor the SFP remotely should a fault occur, but given that I expect the link to work even if DOM does not and faults are hopefully a rare occurrence, I hope you can see how I got here.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Isp router has a bidi optic on the lan side? Why are you replacing it with a dumb switch? I don't understand how that is intended to work.

Quoting you but replying to everybody - sorry about the vague description, I was at my wits' end.

The setup is a standard residential fiber connection attached to a Edgerouter X SFP. Attached to this router, downstream, is another EdgeRouter X SFP, which just acts like a switch. The connection between the two is a BiDi SM fiber, not very long (it serves my garage), it's a 30m cable IIRC. The reason for it being SM BiDi is that I was able to pull a SM dual strand armoured cable, and then if one strand (or connector) breaks or got damaged during the install, I'd still be in business. The reason for it being fiber in the first place is that it runs right next to a high voltage cable.

The reason for the question about the switch was that this setup did not work, and I really couldn't figure out why. A reboot of the main router fixed the problem.

Actually, an Edgerouter X SFP can be had for 80 bucks here, excluding optics, and will work happily as a switch, as long as 1Gbit is good enough.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
This is pretty similar to my setup, but I went with an SFP plugged into my ubiquiti dream machine pro to a media converter in the garage through conduit which is then plugged into a standard poe switch to supply the WAP and POE cameras. Has been rock solid so far.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I just run Cat6 next to 240Vac. :dukedog: The actual chances of a modern wire, stationary for years in a conduit, shorting through both its own insulation and the wrap of a Cat6 is so minuscule as to be meaningless.

To assuage you in the crowd who are offended by this horrid code violation, when I pulled the run to my shed (30A 240Vac Split Phase + 1x Cat 6 + A bundle of 8 fibers) I wrapped all the data stuff in its own nylon abrasion sleeve before the pull.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
In general, posting about mycodeviolatons.txt is not great, don’t be like the guy bragging about hotwiring his EV charger cable to be live all the time in the EV thread. Code is there for a reason.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

M_Gargantua posted:

"Fiberoptic" and "Cheap" are not compatible.
Not as cheap as copper, sure, but for the sorts of things the kind of user who cares about price is likely to be doing with fiber it's still pretty cheap.

We're in a world where basic desktop switches with 8x2.5G copper and 1x 10G SFP+ or 4x 2.5G copper and 2x 10G SFP+ can be had for $50 and almost every rack-size switch worth a poo poo has had at least two SFP ports for well over a decade. Optics cost $25 at each end and patch cables can be easily custom ordered to size for less than a dollar a foot.

If one has an application where fiber offers real tangible benefits and it's possible to run preterminated cables I don't see any good reason to choose to run copper anyways.

M_Gargantua posted:

To assuage you in the crowd who are offended by this horrid code violation, when I pulled the run to my shed (30A 240Vac Split Phase + 1x Cat 6 + A bundle of 8 fibers) I wrapped all the data stuff in its own nylon abrasion sleeve before the pull.
If you ran 8 fibers why bother with the questionable copper as well? I'd be more sympathetic to someone who just YOLO'd a Cat6 or two in to their power conduit out because it was all they could do, but to do the right thing and then go out of your way to do the wrong thing alongside it just seems silly.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got my UDM setup and a U6 Pro AP. The biggest issue I'm having now is, the Cat6 (some 6a too) the wire sheath is so thick, I can't get it to wire properly in the rj45. Anyone else have issues with thickness or am I just being dumb?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Did you buy cat 6a RJ45s or the cheap Home Depot Cat5e RJ45s. The wires inside are different diameters so you need the right plug for your cable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Behotti posted:

Got my UDM setup and a U6 Pro AP. The biggest issue I'm having now is, the Cat6 (some 6a too) the wire sheath is so thick, I can't get it to wire properly in the rj45. Anyone else have issues with thickness or am I just being dumb?

Are you crimping your own cat6? That will require different ends than cat5 because it's got thicker wire gauge on the internal conductors. Cat6 usually has an up-down zig zag to fit them in the same horizontal space. If your actual ethernet cable is just fat maybe it's exterior rated stuff with shielding?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Behotti posted:

You're supposed to snip off the +-shaped plastic bit in the middle before terminating

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thread, I have a confession to make and then a couple of (hopefully) easy questions. I moved due to some life changes and in my new address, I have AT&T's 300mbps fiber. I didn't see a need to reconfigure my USG, AC Lite, and PiHole initially but I think within the next little bit, I'm going to.

I know that I need to but my modem in passthrough mode, which isn't the issue. My questions are this: When I reconfigure my USG and want to plug in DNS servers, if I don't need anything crazy, what are the current prefferred DNS settings? Quad9? 1.1.1.1?

Secondary question: I'm not really looking to do any major device upgrades since I'm just one person and 300mbps internet. I'm probably still good on my equipment as long as it works, right? I do have mostly Wifi6 devices but I don't need the extra speed.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Thread, I have a confession to make and then a couple of (hopefully) easy questions. I moved due to some life changes and in my new address, I have AT&T's 300mbps fiber. I didn't see a need to reconfigure my USG, AC Lite, and PiHole initially but I think within the next little bit, I'm going to.

I know that I need to but my modem in passthrough mode, which isn't the issue. My questions are this: When I reconfigure my USG and want to plug in DNS servers, if I don't need anything crazy, what are the current prefferred DNS settings? Quad9? 1.1.1.1?

Secondary question: I'm not really looking to do any major device upgrades since I'm just one person and 300mbps internet. I'm probably still good on my equipment as long as it works, right? I do have mostly Wifi6 devices but I don't need the extra speed.

For DNS I like to use this to find one:
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I have the same tier of att fiber and it seems they actually give close to 400, at least in my area. My old WiFi 5 will saturate that but only in ideal conditions it seems. Walk around and do some speed tests - only you can decide it's it's good enough (probably fine for normals).

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Behotti posted:

the wire sheath is so thick, I can't get it to wire properly in the rj45. Anyone else have issues with thickness or am I just being dumb?

If you’re buying bulk solid strand cable it’s for structured cabling and designed to be punched down, not crimped.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yes, I made the same mistake when I bought my house and ran Ethernet to my AP. I made it work, but there were a lot of curse words thrown at my crimper and ends.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yuuup, Understood. Luckily, I had some pre-made patch cables given to me so problem solved! Got my G4 doorbell Pro setup, got the chime installed and 2 Ai 360 cams up. I'm done with cable for a while, the network is set! Thanks for the advice / info!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Y'all, my little networking closet now that I reconfigured my USG, AC Lite, and TrueNAS box, looks like poop. It all works though!

I'm kind of considering a MOCA adapter to toss my other hotspot upstairs, only need 1gbps. Any non bank breaking suggestions and best practices?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i got a screenbeam moca setup and its pretty needs suiting in that i plugged it in and it works and doesnt need any janitoring. it sustains a pretty high rate of data transfer as there is an ip camera on one end and an nvr on the other

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

i got a screenbeam moca setup and its pretty needs suiting in that i plugged it in and it works and doesnt need any janitoring. it sustains a pretty high rate of data transfer as there is an ip camera on one end and an nvr on the other

I'll see how the signal goes upstairs for a while to determine if I wanto to spent the cash. Downstairs seems a lot more snappy, but that might be more from not using AT&Ts DNS.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

buffbus posted:

I'm sure the software is great, but that's the most boomer website I've seen in a long time. I especially like the three letter .com domain. Probably worth more than the business its hosting.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

bolind posted:

I'm sure the software is great, but that's the most boomer website I've seen in a long time. I especially like the three letter .com domain. Probably worth more than the business its hosting.

my Greco-Roman Copulation services are booming and demand easy access.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Shields up!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

bolind posted:

When you see that style of website you know its either going to be LosTech or unmaintained (but still functional) stuff from the 90's. Green Flags all around.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

buffbus posted:

Some nostalgia from good ole grc.com. But I decided to play with this for shits and giggles, several of the faster DNS options I tried caused a few websites to think I was a bot, and toss up bot checks all the time which was rather annoying.

But opendns is still pretty fast, so I just went back to that. Not sure you would even really notice a difference from fastest to slowest, it seems like only a few ms between them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Is there a reason not to buy the new Cloud Gateway Ultra from Unifi? I've got an ancient dell desktop running pfsense right now, and it works, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with something that fits in my rack, and uses less power and is easier to manage. I have 2 uac-lites and an HP 1824G switch that I would plan on keeping, so I wouldn't go full unifi.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

skipdogg posted:

Is there a reason not to buy the new Cloud Gateway Ultra from Unifi? I've got an ancient dell desktop running pfsense right now, and it works, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with something that fits in my rack, and uses less power and is easier to manage. I have 2 uac-lites and an HP 1824G switch that I would plan on keeping, so I wouldn't go full unifi.

As long as you aren't expecting it to actually do multi-gig despite having the 2.5G WAN it's actually a well priced little box for its feature set I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Also they go out of stock pretty quick.

They just became available within the last hour so it’ll probably be OOO soon.

Edit- or by time I finished posting.