Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The special counsel office was shut down in May 2019 and he originally was not supposed to give any testimony - he had to be subpoenaed. He didn't plan his retirement for the day before he was supposed to testify, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

If it is, the EU is going to take a chunk out of GM's rear end with the GPDR.

It sucks that we have to rely on the EU to police unethical behavior by big corporations and even then they avoid adopting the same regulations in the US if they can get away with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's the full NYT article for people who are paywalled:

It looks like GM is doing a similar thing to what many insurance companies already do - track your driving habits to get a discount or adjustment to your premium based on driving habits - but, they are doing it without asking customers or opting-in.

The source of the sharing seems to be coming from an optional "On-Star Smart Driving Program" that gives drivers statistics and information on their driving habits, but GM did not inform people it would be shared with insurance companies - which may be illegal. Senator Ed Markey is having the FTC investigate whether it is currently illegal under existing federal law.

Drivers do have to opt-in to the program, but they didn't have an option to opt-out of the data sharing if they opted in. GM did not explicitly warn people who opted in that their data would be shared with insurance providers. Also, some people may have been opted-in by a dealership who gave them a free subscription as an add-on perk during the sale without their knowledge.

Suburu, Kia, Acura, and Mitsubishi also share much more limited versions of data (odometer only) if you opt-in to their advanced driving service (called "Driver Feedback" or "Driver Score") when you buy a new car.

Ford also shares data with insurance companies, but they at least require an explicit opt-in and warning before you agree to do so.

quote:

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies

Kenn Dahl says he has always been a careful driver. The owner of a software company near Seattle, he drives a leased Chevrolet Bolt. He’s never been responsible for an accident.

So Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.
LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car.

On a Thursday morning in June for example, the car had been driven 7.33 miles in 18 minutes; there had been two rapid accelerations and two incidents of hard braking.

According to the report, the trip details had been provided by General Motors — the manufacturer of the Chevy Bolt. LexisNexis analyzed that driving data to create a risk score “for insurers to use as one factor of many to create more personalized insurance coverage,” according to a LexisNexis spokesman, Dean Carney. Eight insurance companies had requested information about Mr. Dahl from LexisNexis over the previous month.
“It felt like a betrayal,” Mr. Dahl said. “They’re taking information that I didn’t realize was going to be shared and screwing with our insurance.”

In recent years, insurance companies have offered incentives to people who install dongles in their cars or download smartphone apps that monitor their driving, including how much they drive, how fast they take corners, how hard they hit the brakes and whether they speed. But “drivers are historically reluctant to participate in these programs,” as Ford Motor put it in a patent application that describes what is happening instead: Car companies are collecting information directly from internet-connected vehicles for use by the insurance industry.

Sometimes this is happening with a driver’s awareness and consent. Car companies have established relationships with insurance companies, so that if drivers want to sign up for what’s called usage-based insurance — where rates are set based on monitoring of their driving habits — it’s easy to collect that data wirelessly from their cars.

But in other instances, something much sneakier has happened. Modern cars are internet-enabled, allowing access to services like navigation, roadside assistance and car apps that drivers can connect to their vehicles to locate them or unlock them remotely. In recent years, automakers, including G.M., Honda, Kia and Hyundai, have started offering optional features in their connected-car apps that rate people’s driving. Some drivers may not realize that, if they turn on these features, the car companies then give information about how they drive to data brokers like LexisNexis.

Automakers and data brokers that have partnered to collect detailed driving data from millions of Americans say they have drivers’ permission to do so. But the existence of these partnerships is nearly invisible to drivers, whose consent is obtained in fine print and murky privacy policies that few read.

Especially troubling is that some drivers with vehicles made by G.M. say they were tracked even when they did not turn on the feature — called OnStar Smart Driver — and that their insurance rates went up as a result.
“GM’s OnStar Smart Driver service is optional to customers,” a G.M. spokeswoman, Malorie Lucich, said. “Customer benefits include learning more about their safe driving behaviors or vehicle performance that, with their consent, may be used to obtain insurance quotes. Customers can also unenroll from Smart Driver at any time.”

Even for those who opt in, the risks are far from clear. I have a G.M. car, a Chevrolet. I went through the enrollment process for Smart Driver; there was no warning or prominent disclosure that any third party would get access to my driving data.

“I am surprised,” said Frank Pasquale, a law professor at Cornell University. “Because it’s not within the reasonable expectation of the average consumer, it should certainly be an industry practice to prominently disclose that is happening.”

Policymakers have expressed concern about the collection of sensitive information from consumers’ cars. California’s privacy regulator is currently investigating automakers’ data collection practices. Last month, Senator Edward Markey of Massachusetts also urged the Federal Trade Commission to investigate.

“The ‘internet of things’ is really intruding into the lives of all Americans,” Senator Markey said in an interview. “If there is now a collusion between automakers and insurance companies using data collected from an unknowing car owner that then raises their insurance rates, that’s, from my perspective, a potential per se violation of Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.”

That is the federal law that prohibits unfair and deceptive business practices that harm consumers.

Mr. Dahl shared his experience on an online forum for Chevy Bolt enthusiasts, on a thread where other people expressed shock to find that LexisNexis had their driving data. Warnings about the tracking are scattered across online discussion boards dedicated to vehicles manufactured by G.M. — including Corvettes, a sports car designed for racking up “acceleration events.” (One driver lamented having data collected during a “track day,” while testing out the Corvette’s limits on a professional racetrack.)

Numerous people on the forums complained about spiking premiums as a result. A Cadillac driver in Palm Beach County, Fla., who asked not to be named because he is considering a lawsuit against G.M., said he was denied auto insurance by seven companies in December. When he asked an agent why, she advised him to pull his LexisNexis report. He discovered six months of his driving activity, including many instances of hard braking and hard accelerating, as well as some speeding.

“I don’t know the definition of hard brake. My passenger’s head isn’t hitting the dash,” he said. “Same with acceleration. I’m not peeling out. I’m not sure how the car defines that. I don’t feel I’m driving aggressively or dangerously.”
When he finally obtained car insurance, through a private broker, it was double what he had previously been paying.

The Cadillac owner, Mr. Dahl and the drivers on the forums had all been enrolled in OnStar Smart Driver. OnStar is G.M.’s Internet-connected service for its cars and Smart Driver is a free, gamified feature within G.M.’s connected car apps (all part of OnStar, but branded MyChevrolet, MyBuick, MyGMC and MyCadillac).

Smart Driver can “help you become a better driver,” according to a corporate website, by tracking and rating seatbelt use and driving habits. In a recent promotional campaign, an Instagram influencer used Smart Driver in a competition with her husband to find out who could collect the most digital badges, such as “brake genius” and “limit hero.”

In response to questions from The New York Times, G.M. confirmed that it shares “select insights” about hard braking, hard accelerating, speeding over 80 miles an hour and drive time of Smart Driver enrollees with LexisNexis and another data broker that works with the insurance industry called Verisk.

Customers turn on Smart Driver, said Ms. Lucich, the G.M. spokeswoman, “at the time of purchase or through their vehicle mobile app.” It is possible that G.M. drivers who insisted they didn’t opt in were unknowingly signed up at the dealership, where salespeople can receive bonuses for successful enrollment of customers in OnStar services, including Smart Driver, according to a company manual.

The Cadillac owner in Florida said he had not heard of Smart Driver and never noticed it in the MyCadillac app. He reviewed the paperwork he signed at the dealership when he bought his Cadillac in the fall of 2021 and found no mention of signing up for it.

“When a customer accepts the user terms and privacy statement (which are separately reviewed in the enrollment flow), they consent to sharing their data with third parties,” Ms. Lucich wrote in an email, pointing to OnStar’s privacy statement.

But that statement’s section on “third-party business relationships” does not mention Smart Driver. It names SiriusXM as a company G.M. might share data with, not LexisNexis Risk Solutions, which G.M. has partnered with since 2019.

Jen Caltrider, a researcher at Mozilla who reviewed the privacy policies for more than 25 car brands last year, said that drivers have little idea about what they are consenting to when it comes to data collection. She said it is “impossible for consumers to try and understand” the legalese-filled policies for car companies, their connected services and their apps. She called cars “a privacy nightmare.”

“The car companies are really good at trying to link these features to safety and say they are all about safety,” Ms. Caltrider said. “They’re about making money.”

Neither the car companies nor the data brokers deny that they are engaged in this practice, though automakers say the main purpose of their driver feedback programs is to help people develop safer driving habits.

After LexisNexis and Verisk get data from consumers’ cars, they sell information about how people are driving to insurance companies. To access it, the insurance companies must get consent from the drivers — say, when they go out shopping for car insurance and sign off on boilerplate language that gives insurance companies the right to pull third-party reports. (Insurance companies commonly ask for access to a consumer’s credit or risk reports, though they are barred from doing so in California, Massachusetts, Michigan and Hawaii.)

An employee familiar with G.M.’s Smart Driver said the company’s annual revenue from the program is in the low millions of dollars.

LexisNexis Risk Solutions, which retains consumers’ driving data for six months, has “strict privacy and security policies designed to ensure that data is not accessed or used impermissibly,” the company said in a statement.
Verisk provides insurers with trip data and a risk score “approved by insurance regulators in 46 states and the District of Columbia,” said a spokeswoman, Amy Ebenstein. Automakers that Verisk gets data from “provide their customers notice and obtain appropriate consents,” she said.

Some drivers who had Smart Driver turned on, though, said they did not even realize they were enrolled until they saw warnings on online forums and then checked their app. They quickly unenrolled themselves by turning off Smart Driver in their car app.

Omri Ben-Shahar, a law professor at the University of Chicago, said he was in favor of usage-based insurance — where insurers monitor mileage and driving habits to determine premiums — because people who are knowingly monitored are better drivers. “People drive differently,” he said. “The impact on safety is enormous.”

But he was troubled, he said, by “stealth enrollment” in programs with “surprising and potentially injurious” data collection. There is no public safety benefit if people don’t know that how they drive will affect how much they pay for insurance.

General Motors is not the only automaker sharing driving behavior. Kia, Subaru and Mitsubishi also contribute to the LexisNexis “Telematics Exchange,” a “portal for sharing consumer-approved connected car data with insurers.” As of 2022, the exchange, according to a LexisNexis news release, has “real-world driving behavior” collected “from over 10 million vehicles.”

Verisk also claims to have access to data from millions of vehicles and partnerships with major automakers, including Ford, Honda and Hyundai.

Two of these automakers said they were not sharing data or only limited data. Subaru shares odometer data with LexisNexis for Subaru customers who turn on Starlink and authorize that data be shared “when shopping for auto insurance,” said a spokesman, Dominick Infante.

Ford “does not transmit any connected vehicle data to either partner,” said a spokesman, Alan Hall, but partnered with them “to explore ways to support customers” who want to take part in usage-based insurance programs. Ford will share driving behavior from a car directly with an insurance company, he said, when a customer gives explicit consent via an in-vehicle touch screen.

The other automakers all have optional driver-coaching features in their apps — Kia, Mitsubishi and Hyundai have “Driving Score,” while Honda and Acura have “Driver Feedback” — that, when turned on, collect information about people’s mileage, speed, braking and acceleration that is then shared with LexisNexis or Verisk, the companies said in response to questions from The New York Times.

But that would not be evident or obvious to drivers using these features. In fact, before a Honda owner activates Driver Feedback, a screen titled “Respect for your Privacy” assures drivers that “your data will never be shared without your consent.” But it is shared — with Verisk, a fact disclosed in a more than 2,000-word “terms and conditions” screen that a driver needs to click “accept” on. (Kia, by contrast, does highlight its relationship with LexisNexis Risk Solutions on its website, and a spokesman said LexisNexis can’t share driving score data of Kia participants with insurers without additional consent.)

Drivers who have realized what is happening are not happy. The Palm Beach Cadillac owner said he would never buy another car from G.M. He is planning to sell his Cadillac.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 12, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's the full NYT article for people who are paywalled:

It looks like GM is doing a similar thing to what many insurance companies already do - track your driving habits to get a discount or adjustment to your premium based on driving habits - but, they are doing it without asking customers or opting-in.

The source of the sharing seems to be coming from an optional "On-Star Smart Driving Program" that gives drivers statistics and information on their driving habits, but GM did not inform people it would be shared with insurance companies - which may be illegal. Senator Ed Markey is having the FTC investigate whether it is currently illegal under existing federal law.

Drivers do have to opt-in to the program, but they didn't have an option to opt-out of the data sharing if they opted in. Also, some people may have been opted-in by a dealership who was trying to add on perks during the sale.

Suburu, Kia, Acura, and Mitsubishi also share much more limited versions of data (odometer only) if you opt-in to their advanced driving service (called "Driver Feedback" or "Driver Score") when you buy a new car.

Ford also shares data with insurance companies, but they at least require an explicit opt-in and warning before you agree to do so.

I have never felt so vindicated from saying “no” to an upsell before. I just thought OnStar didn’t sound worth the price, but now I look very smart.

Also person who is considering buying a used Bolt : I just did that, and I can tell you it god drat rules. Feel free to PM me or find the EV thread in AI : if you are thinking about switching to an EV this is probably the best way to do it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I feel like the bigger issue is Databrokers, and how they just hoover up your data from any source and sell it to the highest bidder. Which is what is happening with the article referenced.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Also a bolt owner and agree it owns. If you hate cars you’ll love the bolt. Ideal tool for the task that is driving.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have never felt so vindicated from saying “no” to an upsell before. I just thought OnStar didn’t sound worth the price, but now I look very smart.

Also person who is considering buying a used Bolt : I just did that, and I can tell you it god drat rules. Feel free to PM me or find the EV thread in AI : if you are thinking about switching to an EV this is probably the best way to do it.

I have positive experiences driving a Bolt too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And if I drive perfectly, my rates go down, right?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

haveblue posted:

That’s a question for your insurance company, but never going to a gas station, plugging the car into my house and just paying an extra 20$ in electric is real loving sweet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

State Farm paid me to install a dongle in my car and during Covid my insurance halved because I had less than 7k miles driven per year. So, sometimes!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

State Farm paid me to install a dongle in my car and during Covid my insurance halved because I had less than 7k miles driven per year. So, sometimes!

If you WFH (or walk/bike to work), it's absolutely worth keeping track of your annual mileage to see if you can get a low mileage plan (usually between 5500 and 7k miles). The only caveat is that occasionally your insurance company might call you for an odometer check, but even that hasn't happened to me since 2019 (or so).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have that State Farm thing and they will periodically request the mileage

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
surely their algo now has a WFH factor in it by now?

(oh and then they get data from biking, walking, or other phone apps and spike you because a human body isnt in a machine is more vulnerable?)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PhazonLink posted:

surely their algo now has a WFH factor in it by now?

(oh and then they get data from biking, walking, or other phone apps and spike you because a human body isnt in a machine is more vulnerable?)

I don't have a dongle in my car, but different insurance companies do it in a couple different ways. They generally fall under 2 categories - an ODBII dongle you plug directly into your vehicle, or a bluetooth device you install somewhere in your car, that you pair to your phone. It's supposed to only use data from when you are driving and the device is active when calculating any premium changes (meaning if someone else is driving your car, you should be able to disable it for that ride).

As for the algorithmic changes, none that I'm aware of. Your car insurance rates are generally calculated based on a combination of factors, including:

- Type of coverage and limits
- Year/Model of vehicle
- Insured person's demographic data (age, gender, etc.)
- Insured person's physical address and, if applicable, storage conditions for the vehicle
- Insured person's driving history

Whether or not someone works from home is immaterial when it comes to evaluating risk for your driving, however, total annual miles does impact your risk profile. Just because the former impacts the other doesn't make it relevant.

As for what other data they collect, I'm sure people have gone through the Ts & Cs for each app to figure out what's being recorded. That said, the app should only be recording and sending data based on when it's active, i.e. when you're driving, and I'm sure folks would have raised some privacy concerns if they found it operating continuously.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The bloodbath purge of the RNC months before a presidential election, done to strip it of its non-lackeys and turn it into the trump crimes piggybank, is the poo poo i live for because that kind of fashy "realignment" just kills your whole movement

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Staluigi posted:

The bloodbath purge of the RNC months before a presidential election, done to strip it of its non-lackeys and turn it into the trump crimes piggybank, is the poo poo i live for because that kind of fashy "realignment" just kills your whole movement

Wapo article reported they laid off like 60 people? I don't know what an RNC employee does, granted, but presumably someone has to email/phone call to purchase an ad and someone is coordinating placement. If all you're doing is wiring funds to cover legal costs, thats one thing, but presumably a normal party fundraising/campaigning arm needs staff for operations. I'm sure it'll be like the first trump campaign and the trump org in general: super lean, staffed with family, maximum graft.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I hadn't thought about this before, but isn't such a streamlined primary going to leave a shitload more money in their war chest?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Boeing planes continue to have a shitton of problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/us/politics/faa-audit-boeing-737-max.html

Totally coincidentally a Boeing whistleblower was found unalive today when he was supposed to appear for a third day of testimony.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

quote:

In 2019, Mr Barnett told the BBC that under-pressure workers had been deliberately fitting sub-standard parts to aircraft on the production line.

He also said he had uncovered serious problems with oxygen systems, which could mean one in four breathing masks would not work in an emergency.

He said soon after starting work in South Carolina he had become concerned that the push to get new aircraft built meant the assembly process was rushed and safety was compromised, something the company denied.

He later told the BBC that workers had failed to follow procedures intended to track components through the factory, allowing defective components to go missing.

He said in some cases, sub-standard parts had even been removed from scrap bins and fitted to planes that were being built to prevent delays on the production line.

He also claimed that tests on emergency oxygen systems due to be fitted to the 787 showed a failure rate of 25%, meaning that one in four could fail to deploy in a real-life emergency.

Mr Barnett said he had alerted managers to his concerns, but no action had been taken.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bellmaker posted:

Boeing planes continue to have a shitton of problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/us/politics/faa-audit-boeing-737-max.html

Totally coincidentally a Boeing whistleblower was found unalive today when he was supposed to appear for a third day of testimony.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

His lawyer said he was found dead in his truck from gunshot wounds.

https://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/news/200/boeing-whistleblower-found-dead-in-charleston-after-break-in-depositions/

quote:

"Today is a tragic day,” Knowles wrote. “John had been back and forth for quite some time getting prepared. The defense examined him for their allowed seven hours under the rules on Thursday. I cross examined him all day yesterday (Friday) and did not finish. We agreed to continue this morning at 10 a.m. (co-counsel) Rob (Turkewitz) kept calling this morning and his (Barnett’s) phone would go to voicemail. We then asked the hotel to check on him. They found him in his truck dead from an ‘alleged’ self-inflicted gunshot. We drove to the hotel and spoke with the police and the coroner.”

It's almost as believable as randomly falling out of a window in Russia.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

let's not

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Found corporeally houseless

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

His lawyer said he was found dead in his truck from gunshot wounds.

https://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/news/200/boeing-whistleblower-found-dead-in-charleston-after-break-in-depositions/

It's almost as believable as randomly falling out of a window in Russia.

Isn't this just a normal state of affairs in America?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I hadn't thought about this before, but isn't such a streamlined primary going to leave a shitload more money in their war chest?

No, the RNC is broke because all the money has been going to Trump directly, this is going to accelerate that, Trump is going to suck up all their money and leave none for anyone else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The DoJ released the full transcript of the Biden/Hur interview and it turns out the special report was relying on an old legal trick called "lying"

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1767521169417105854

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1767521789062648001

I think the crassness was about when Hur released a misleading report that falsely claimed that Biden couldn't remember when his son died, among other things.

https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1767529253988401588

https://twitter.com/aaronstrauss/status/1767528617393700925

Biden doing one armed pushups on the conference table.

Anyway, sure were a lot of reporters and partisan campists who were all to eager to slurp this obvious hack-job up.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 12, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Just like what they did to Trump" I can already hear some boomer saying

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

The DoJ released the full transcript of the Biden/Hur interview and it turns out the special report was relying on an old legal trick called "lying"

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1767521169417105854

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1767521789062648001

I think the crassness was about when Hur released a misleading report that falsely claimed that Biden couldn't remember when his son died, among other things.

https://twitter.com/charlie_savage/status/1767529253988401588

https://twitter.com/aaronstrauss/status/1767528617393700925

Biden doing one armed pushups on the conference table.

Anyway, sure were a lot of reporters and partisan campists who were all to eager to slurp this obvious hack-job up.

Yeah. It’s about what i thought. A lot of the quotes from the report felt like bad faith spins on the interview.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also he's literally Diamond Joe

quote:

At times during the interview, according to the transcript, the president made noises like a car.

Once, it was while lamenting that he could drive his vintage Chevrolet Corvette only the length of his driveway. The other time was during a lengthy exchange over the torque of electric vehicles.

“By the way, you know how it works?” Biden asked Hur. “It’s really cool.”

Hur remarked, “Sir, I’d love — I would love, love to hear much more about this, but I do have a few more questions to get through.”

“You step your foot on the accelerator all the way down until it gets about six, seven grand,” Biden continued. “Then all the sudden it will say ‘launch.’ All you do is take your foot off the brake.”

The transcript then indicates “(Makes car sound)” as well as “(Laughter).”

“It’s on my bucket list,” Hur responded, before turning to questions regarding classified documents that had been discovered at the Penn Biden Center.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
USPOL 2024: (Makes car sound)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

Lol, this is pretty good stuff. I don't even really care if he's sundowning there or just loving with the interviewer, it's good entertainment

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
CNN and the NY Times seem to be going out of their way to avoid saying Hur lied or was biased.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

CNN and the NY Times seem to be going out of their way to avoid saying Hur lied or was biased.

Indeed. This thread notes the glee with which the major outlets ran stories on this

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1767534730742788470

NYT ran 30 stories in 4 days on Biden's mental fitness. Wapo ran 33 and the WSJ a mere 17.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I can't believe Robert Hur would do this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Piell posted:

No, the RNC is broke because all the money has been going to Trump directly, this is going to accelerate that, Trump is going to suck up all their money and leave none for anyone else.

Why won't someone do something

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

:lmao:

Vroom-vroom!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol, this is pretty good stuff. I don't even really care if he's sundowning there or just loving with the interviewer, it's good entertainment

Catskills Joe

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

haveblue posted:

USPOL 2024: (Makes car sound)

mods...please...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also owning literal Mongols at archery

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I have Liberty Mutual, and I remember they wanted me to put that in my car, so I said "okay".

Anyway, three months later, it shows up to my door and doesn't work, and when I call the insurance company they tell me the thing expired and that they're just going to take 10% off my rates.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yikes.

Unless the full audio includes Biden slurring all of his words or blanking for minutes at a time, then that transcript is pretty damning for Hur and is exactly why the DOJ normally bans speculation or derogatory personal commentary from reports when you are declining to charge someone. Some of those original descriptions, like the Beau death quote, aren't even issues of opinion. It looks like it was just straight up incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yikes.

Unless the full audio includes Biden slurring all of his words or blanking for minutes at a time, then that transcript is pretty damning for Hur and is exactly why the DOJ normally bans speculation or derogatory personal commentary from reports when you are declining to charge someone. Some of those original descriptions, like the Beau death quote, aren't even issues of opinion. It looks like it was just straight up incorrect.

Hur's supposed to be testifying before House Judiciary today after resigning from the DoJ yesterday. I thought it was going to be another hit job but we have the transcript, what's he even going to try and say?

Also Merrick Garland needs to be gone immediately.