Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Just starting playing this on PS5, any good tips? The OP seems outdated. Specifically what should I be buying like guns wise, I can’t stop just getting cosmetic stuff and it’s probably holding me back. But none of the guns on the war pass or whatever it is called seem better than the basic assault rifle.

Almost every gun is usable. The "best" ones are the Breaker, Slugger, and Defender. If you like tap and burst fire, the Liberator Penetrator is your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Just starting playing this on PS5, any good tips? The OP seems outdated. Specifically what should I be buying like guns wise, I can’t stop just getting cosmetic stuff and it’s probably holding me back. But none of the guns on the war pass or whatever it is called seem better than the basic assault rifle.

The default rifle is very good at just about everything if you can aim well.

Most weapons have a situational advantage over it, but can be relatively niche

The only weapon that is just strictly better is the machine pistol secondary.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In the early acquisitions pages, the Punisher shotgun is very strong against terminids and the Diligence rifle is good for weaker automatons. The Redeemer machine pistol has low ammo but high burst damage.

In the early stratagem unlocks, Eagle Airstrike is one of the best calldowns in the whole game. The Stalwart is a more flexible LMG for bug killing, and the Anti-Materiel Rifle is decent against bots until you unlock the Autocannon. The Grenade Launcher and Supply Pack are always useful. The Gatling Sentry is a straight up improvement on the Machine Gun Sentry, and the Mortar Sentry can do a lot of damage but is also very risky.

As you progress into Challenging and Hard, you need to start worrying about heavily armored enemies like Chargers and Hulks. Somebody has to bring some anti-armor weapons like the Expendable Anti-Tank or Recoilless Rifle.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm a fan of the Senator. It just feels right.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kazinsal posted:

Almost every gun is usable. The "best" ones are the Breaker, Slugger, and Defender. If you like tap and burst fire, the Liberator Penetrator is your friend.
I'm again gonna say I think punisher is better than slugger vs bugs. Shorter range because it's actual shotgun pellets but not like, point blank, and the damage is a lot higher.

Notably, slugger doesn't oneshot hunters on bodyshots and punisher does. Also kills stalkers faster, will kill stripped charger legs faster, etc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah I just tried slugger on bugs for the first time and it was awful.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

In the early acquisitions pages, the Punisher shotgun is very strong against terminids and the Diligence rifle is good for weaker automatons. The Redeemer machine pistol has low ammo but high burst damage.

In the early stratagem unlocks, Eagle Airstrike is one of the best calldowns in the whole game. The Stalwart is a more flexible LMG for bug killing, and the Anti-Materiel Rifle is decent against bots until you unlock the Autocannon. The Grenade Launcher and Supply Pack are always useful. The Gatling Sentry is a straight up improvement on the Machine Gun Sentry, and the Mortar Sentry can do a lot of damage but is also very risky.

As you progress into Challenging and Hard, you need to start worrying about heavily armored enemies like Chargers and Hulks. Somebody has to bring some anti-armor weapons like the Expendable Anti-Tank or Recoilless Rifle.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I should do the highest level stuff I can actually compete on, right?

Just unlocked the expendable anti tank, can’t wait to blast one of those big butt bugs in the face with it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Reiley posted:

it sucks but it's so cool i've never run anything else

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I should do the highest level stuff I can actually compete on, right?

If you're going for XP and requisition, yes. If you're focused on samples, you can do the lowest difficulty they appear on--1 for common, 4 for rare, 7 for super rare.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Re: the punisher? shotgun. I really like it but I feel like I’m wasting practice if it’s only good in early zones.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Triarii posted:

Also neat that you can blind fire it into fog and WHOA gently caress

https://i.imgur.com/BiaKHIv.mp4

fyi, spore spewers are vulnerable to most weapons. I've taken it down at range with a liberator penetrator, breaker, and slugger. It might take a clip or two of your primary's ammo, but you can solo them. No need to get up close with them. Just check for the red X when you shoot at it to confirm you are dealing damage.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the slugger is quite lethal against bugs, but you usually have to take shots without moving or you'll keep missing. Not moving obviously has some issues. Punisher is more forgiving at firing on the move.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Re: the punisher? shotgun. I really like it but I feel like I’m wasting practice if it’s only good in early zones.

Your target priorities might shift as enemy numbers increase and new enemy types(and weapon unlocks) turn up, but any guns that are good in the early game will still be good in the late game. The Punisher will always be great against Terminid Hunters and Warriors.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 12, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Slugger is pretty similar to the Punisher and is arguably the best primary overall (definitely the best against bots IMO), so don't worry about it

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well, in an hour of play I was able to get one game done, and 4 lost connections.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
One thing that feels awful and I hope they get a look at is how stunning, or flinching an enemy doesn't always stop their movement and they'll actually " float " forward while in the flinch animation.

I've had berserkers rushing me and I'll hit them with a slug, they'll flinch but continue sliding towards me as if their momentum was unfazed.

It's saddening

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The trick to the arc thrower against bugs is volume of fire. With just the one you're liable to get swarmed by hunters and killing chargers takes an age, but with a full squad of lightning wizards you can put down a constant barrage that tears up groups of enemies and fries chargers before they can do anything. Infinite ammo with no reload really shines, the only time you need to slow down is to throw stratagems at a bile titans.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Also arcing lightning into a far off bile titan looks metal as hell.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

.Z. posted:

fyi, spore spewers are vulnerable to most weapons. I've taken it down at range with a liberator penetrator, breaker, and slugger. It might take a clip or two of your primary's ammo, but you can solo them. No need to get up close with them. Just check for the red X when you shoot at it to confirm you are dealing damage.

True but they often have a juicy pile of samples around them so I wanted to get in there

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

The number of people treating this game like its Metal Gear Solid is some what surprising

They made it fun in a low-intensity way by having the patrols and such react to sounds on top of visual detection influenced by your armor and giving you ways to detect enemies out of line of sight (UAV booster and armor, again). It's fun to juke a patrol, or ambush one and wipe it out in a single volley, or otherwise do some sick specops operator high speed low drag nonsense.

I also love doing pathfinder poo poo like scouting a path and guiding my team between the patrols, which the game lets me do using those detection passives and map pings.

Worf posted:

It’s surprising in the sense that before I was aware of how the game worked, I would not have guessed that’s what this game is.

But now that I’ve had it for a couple of weeks, I think it’s a logical extension of the amount of mobs and time to kill+ not only are you not gaining anything by killing random packs, technically, you’re losing because your time bonus will go down lol

It’s too easy to get bogged down in fights that mean nothing, so what am I going to do blow my cool downs and then be useless when I get to a base I have to clear? or avoid a trash fight that will not only not benefit me, but cost me.

There's also this. People will spend a ton of reinforcements deathmatching early on, leaving the end of the match in a precarious place. Or they'll die in an inconvenient spot after bringing the whole map down on their heads, and it's way safer to send the three loud ones to the extract while the fourth sneaky shitlord goes and sweeps up the samples that got dropped.

I think as with all things in Helldivers, it's knowing what to use and when. Sometimes you gotta brawl, and sometimes you gotta be sneaky. Knowing when to do which is a big part of the fun.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the slugger is quite lethal against bugs, but you usually have to take shots without moving or you'll keep missing. Not moving obviously has some issues. Punisher is more forgiving at firing on the move.

I've converted to the cult of the Slugger on bugs since I already main flamethrower, and the slugger puts in work against the only things that can reliably threaten me and aren't called Bile Titans (Stalkers and Spewers). If things are running at me, I'm running back a bit and getting ready to flamethrower them all. If I need to support a friend at a distance, the Slugger lets me swat the biggest threats down accurately. And if I get caught out by a Stalker, the slugger's stagger gives me the time I need to blast it down. It compliments the flamethrower's AOE murder and Charger killing power perfectly in bugs.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.

Shadowlyger posted:

If it's bugs then actually you can't because apparently they can smell you.

I have a theory that when you are covered in green bug blood they can smell you easier. I've been trying to test if the game sends more patrols my way when I'm covered in blood then when I'm not. I did notice you can clean yourself off by diving into shallow water.

If that holds any truth I doubt it, but I'm trying to pay more attention anyways.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Did they tone the diff down because of the complaints after the nerfs? I am playing on dif 8 and rarely see any spam on chargers anymore. I remember after the patch people were complaining but even on diff 6 you got elite enemy spam.

Also first time playing since the mechs got dropped after the liberation. Must have been said but these things are made out of paper. Great though at the end when you run out of other strategems.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 12, 2024

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ulio posted:

Did they tone the diff down because of the complaints after the nerfs? I am playing on dif 8 and rarely see any spam on chargers anymore. I remember after the patch people were complaining but even on diff 6 you got elite enemy spam.

no in fact it spawns infinity bile titans on difficulty 8, just read reddit!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The voice acting in this game is top notch. Barely finished a particularly sloppy mission where a Gatling turret I through took a bad bounce then mowed down two helldivers and as I come back I hear my ship master saying “those friendly fire incidents were entirely unavoidable.”

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saraiguma posted:

no in fact it spawns infinity bile titans on difficulty 8, just read reddit!

Lol ya. I don't know a week ago I was playing on 6-7 and people couldn't take out 1-2 elites. It seems on 8-9 people are bringing proper equipment. Not meta builds necessarily but w.e people bring they know how to use effectively.

I've seen that clip of being chased by 6-7 titans, I have not seen that happen though, actually feel like there is so many ways to kill titans they drop really easily. Definitely dealing with mass of chargers or bile spewers is hard. I think I have only seen such situation in eradicate missions. In every other mission if you split up you can get the objective done and someone aggro/take out elites/titans.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 12, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
People tend to think that devs are making secret tweaks all the time when things seem slightly different than they were before. It's almost always just that there's such a massive amount of variables and you're such a tiny sample size that it's natural you'll get streaks of various behaviours all the time. Unless you see it in patch notes I wouldn't assume they've changed anything.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

People tend to think that devs are making secret tweaks all the time when things seem slightly different than they were before. It's almost always just that there's such a massive amount of variables and you're such a tiny sample size that it's natural you'll get streaks of various behaviours all the time. Unless you see it in patch notes I wouldn't assume they've changed anything.

Well they themselves say they do hotfixes and there were several changes they hadn't listed in the patch notes last time, like some buffs to the other weapons.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

(Runs around on high difficulties never killing anything)
“Why are there so many enemies?!?”

I haven’t played on the highest difficulty but really I wouldn’t mind if I did and got my poo poo stomped in by too many bile titans because I imagine the game would be super hard at that level to reward really good players who coordinate and strategize instead of accidentally dropping mines along our only escape route.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Sure, although those were eventually listed. It's just that some people see any little thing that doesn't match with the pattern they've been seeing for the last while and immediately jump to thinking the devs are messing with stuff, when 90% of the time it's not the case.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
What about the whole Game Master Joel thing where the dude and his crew are just messing around with different things.

Could be they see a bunch of people on a planet and decide to raise the spawn rate or something to make it harder.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Reiley posted:

I tried it once early on and never went back, I really oughta give it another shot. The thing is that the Redeemer is basically the best-feeling "secondary" possible in a game like this. It's not so much a second weapon as an oh-poo poo button that murders the poo poo out of the last few bugs that are still in your face and your primary mag just ran dry. I imagine the Senator works more like an actual second weapon that you can use, but that feeling of pulling out the Redeemer and tearing a couple hunters to pieces with a million bullets per second is gonna be hard to beat.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Sure, although those were eventually listed. It's just that some people see any little thing that doesn't match with the pattern they've been seeing for the last while and immediately jump to thinking the devs are messing with stuff, when 90% of the time it's not the case.

Ya I didn't mean there was an actual change to the spawn rate. But I definitely felt the game is easier which is weird since I have been now exclusively playing 8-9 while before I was playing 6-7. Could just be a teammate thing. I just haven't seen that charger/titan spam like a few days before or a week before. Only in eradicate terminid. Haven't played 9 on automatons though.

The warbond patch on Thursday is adding two shotguns and 1 rifle. I really hoped it would be the other way around so we atleast get some more decent rifles. Feel like one of the shotgun will most likely broken. Arrowheads doesn't seem to understand how to balance shotguns, specifically the accuracy dropoff after a certain range is too generous.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Amazing Member posted:

One thing that feels awful and I hope they get a look at is how stunning, or flinching an enemy doesn't always stop their movement and they'll actually " float " forward while in the flinch animation.

I've had berserkers rushing me and I'll hit them with a slug, they'll flinch but continue sliding towards me as if their momentum was unfazed.

It's saddening

use the liberator concussive, after its recent buff it has mega knock back on anything that isn’t a huge enemy. great for making room for the grenade launcher or an orbital to do its work.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Also hey did anyone play mid difficulties tonight? I only had time for a couple games but I did a 5 where we had like 4-5 bile titans spawn over the course of like 15 minutes. I didn't even think they spawned at all on a 5. Was actually a really good match until it hard crashed halfway through and I had to reboot

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

I tried it once early on and never went back, I really oughta give it another shot. The thing is that the Redeemer is basically the best-feeling "secondary" possible in a game like this. It's not so much a second weapon as an oh-poo poo button that murders the poo poo out of the last few bugs that are still in your face and your primary mag just ran dry. I imagine the Senator works more like an actual second weapon that you can use, but that feeling of pulling out the Redeemer and tearing a couple hunters to pieces with a million bullets per second is gonna be hard to beat.

the senator will go straight through the face armour of any bug below a crusher and generally kill it in 6 shots or less, although you need good aim for the chunkier ones, and it'll kill little ones in one shot. I use it for spewers especially since they're in that sour spot where they're too tanky to hose down with a primary but not enough to justify most support weapons or strategems. The individual reload means you can always have it full, too. I've been using it to deal with small numbers of bugs at range to conserve ammo on my breaker and support weapon.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Phenotype posted:

The fun points of the Senator are that it hits like a Diligence, it's dead-on accurate and it has a lot of ammo, so if you carry a primary like a shotgun or something automatic you can pull out the Senator and pop single targets at range. It's like a mini marksman rifle, it's just fun to have in your pocket.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The best part of the redeemer is popping it into semi and one tapping up to 31 scavengers while they desperately scramble to find you and call for help.

Not today fuckos.

... Then when your primary runs dry later fighting anything else you switch back and fire a single pitiful shot before getting bodied.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Two bile titans spawned in the exact same spot and instantly killed each other somehow, that owned

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

with the way I've seen some of these pubs use the arc thrower I'm glad they massively toned down its propensity for friendly fire from hd1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Owl Inspector posted:

with the way I've seen some of these pubs use the arc thrower I'm glad they massively toned down its propensity for friendly fire from hd1

i've seen it pretty effortlessly achieve triple skull as is; it was *worse* in the first game?!