Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The scenes where Chadley calls you, stares at you for 2 seconds, says "good work collecting that divine intel," and immediately hangs up with nothing further to add, are integral to the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Blockhouse posted:

I sincerely doubt this was it, especially since the Japanese side would be making that decision. It's a very clear narrative extrapolation of Chadley's role in the first game and makes more sense than Barrett telling you to activate towers that he knows about for some reason.

Chadley could tell you to activate the towers one time and gently caress off forever.

Gruckles posted:

The scenes where Chadley calls you, stares at you for 2 seconds, says "good work collecting that divine intel," and immediately hangs up with nothing further to add, are integral to the experience.

Yeah this is the worst thing. Just nothing comments. The weird part being that sometimes he doesn't pop up and it's like omg, is it over, is Chadley gone? No, nope, he just popped up to say two lines about adding this information to his data bank or something else that adds nothing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Gruckles posted:

lol at how his mouth moves but literally nothing else for him does and he just never breaks eye contact in those calls

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JP Cosmo Canyon Red/Nanaki is so good.

trizzNPH posted:

I can only speak for Remake currently so apologies if it's changed at all, but I've been learning to love Refocus and specifically saving ATB on everyone for staggers. Refocus seems to just subdivide the existing bar into thirds rather than two halves, so while it doesn't actually change anything about the accrual speed on segments it is faster because segments are smaller (correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but this is how it feels to me). It's been really great for me in fights because it means I can keep Cloud up at 3 bars, use focused lunge for big stagger buildup and still keep him with 2 bars banked and ready to go for infinity blade or whatever it's called to cash in on the tremendous bonus damage.

There's actually a pretty significant difference in Rebirth, where Refocus is one of 3 types of Synergy Abilities. Synergy Abilities can be used if two characters have both used 3-4 (depending on the ability) ATB bars*. So in Rebirth, there's a different opportunity cost, where your alternatives are:
1. Powerful attack that extends stagger window (and maybe also does extra damage during it)
2. Powerful attack that upgrades the Limit Nreak for both characters.
3. Refocus

But what berenzen mentions below about Refpcus effectively increasing ATB generation is a big deal, since increased ATB = increased Synergy Ability charging. Refocus would seemimgly let you charge your next Synergy Ability faster.

berenzen posted:

Refocus will change the amount of ATB bars from 2 to 3, while keeping the max the same. So you get an ATB charge at 33/66/100% versus 50/100% of a bar. Using ATB stagger (especially when maxed) is also excellent for your slower ATB generators to get to max.

Oh poo poo, so it does effectively increase ATB generation! That's really good! I thought it seemed like I was gaining ATB faster the few times I used Refocus, but wasn't sure.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh no… Tifa and Aerith’s relationship bars are tied, will this be a problem for the gold saucer date?? I’ve been roaming the Corel region since opening it up, if that matters

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Holy moly not liking this boss gauntlet at the end of Ch11

Yin/Yang wasn’t bad but I hated being Cait, Vincent was annoying but I somehow suffered through it, but now Roche is insanely annoying

Just let me go back and finish my Queen’s Blood quest damnit

Edit: no seriously his last phase is bullshit, I get combo’s from full health to dead with no break. Even worse since I can block and destroy him in the first phase. Seriously these one on one duels are actual trash

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 12, 2024

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

did this guy just call me a Midgarino. excuse me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I dunno the Chadley stuff never bothered me and I see way more people complaining about it here than any other online place I frequent.

It's not nearly as universally despised as box throwing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

None of the open world stuff really bugs me that much. I think they could've let Chadley and MAI just talk while you explore rather than making you stand and look at the screen, but otherwise it's fine.

I've never been particularly bothered by open world stuff like that though, if the core of the game is fun and I like hanging out in its world and with its characters. And all of that is very true of Rebirth so it's working great for me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The points when Chadley interrupts to advise about transmuter chips or summon powerups shoulda just been a tool tip.

Otherwise he’s mostly funny though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh no… Tifa and Aerith’s relationship bars are tied, will this be a problem for the gold saucer date?? I’ve been roaming the Corel region since opening it up, if that matters

Their actual relationship points keep going up even after the bar is “maxed out”.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MechaX posted:

Also wtf were they thinking by having MAI give bestiary dumps during the fight

It's funny. She's droning on and on about poo poo you don't care about while you are doing something better.

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno the Chadley stuff never bothered me and I see way more people complaining about it here than any other online place I frequent.

It's not nearly as universally despised as box throwing

:same:

Although I do agree that a lot of his interactions could be removed or just listened to while you are moving without losing any impact. Doesn't really bug me with their current implementation, but it could be better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 12, 2024

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dandywalken posted:

Chadley should go to hell

This is utterly fascinating! Who knew the divine realm was accessible in a material way? Needless to say, it would be a great help to me if you were to take temperature readings in the various regions, Cloud.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually listen to all the MAI stuff before the fight starts because I love the little ecological profiles for the fiends and how they flesh out the world. Giving a little reasoning for things like the dancing frogs and big demon guys is fantastic to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love Chadley

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Holy moly not liking this boss gauntlet at the end of Ch11

Yin/Yang wasn’t bad but I hated being Cait, Vincent was annoying but I somehow suffered through it, but now Roche is insanely annoying

Just let me go back and finish my Queen’s Blood quest damnit

Edit: no seriously his last phase is bullshit, I get combo’s from full health to dead with no break. Even worse since I can block and destroy him in the first phase. Seriously these one on one duels are actual trash

Dodge more is my only advice to you If he's throwing an unblockable attack, avoid it and hit him with some blade beams to pressure. I didn't have much problem with him while I nearly got pasted by Vincent so different strokes etc

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Megasabin posted:

It's kind of hard for me to judge I feel about this game.

At some points I'm amazed by the breadth and scope and other times I'm kind of disappointed by the low quality of some of the content. The highlight of Part I was spending time with the team and when this game does that, it's great, regardless whether it's silly or serious.

However, the world map sections are very poorly done precisely because they lack that. There's no banter at all, the team's relationships don't grow, and you just run around doing very boring ubisoft level copy-paste content. I think the side quests alone would have been enough world map content without the other junk. Then there's the mini-games, which amaze me in that they had time to put all this stuff in the game, but I've come to realize the predominant feeling I have upon completing about half of them is " "thank god I never have to do that again". Some of them also feel very mean spirited, like Jules' rhythm game switching from left --> right to right --> left randomly with every retry.

This would all work a lot better if I wasn't a completionist who feels compelled to engage with any and all content sent in front of me. If you are someone who is a'ok with simply skipping the world map stuff and the bad minigames

yea the open world looks great, but then the modern open world mechanics of doing chores on a checklist for that loser Chadley really bogs it down. We have enough actual real mini-games to pad the time.
Cause all the story segments are great. But you have to do the open world chore list cause its kind of tied to stat progressions.
Nothing wrong with the old style of actually just going from one town to another passing by some dungeons or forests to clear.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Square-Enix ain’t no Nintendo in open world regards.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Blockhouse posted:

Dodge more is my only advice to you If he's throwing an unblockable attack, avoid it and hit him with some blade beams to pressure. I didn't have much problem with him while I nearly got pasted by Vincent so different strokes etc

Yeah I eventually learned dodging his named attacks and the timings but for some reason once he hit phase two he ran all over me. Literally, I guess. I ended up saving a limit break and basically skipping phase two. I guess my overall read is the previous fight was hard but fun (minus being forced to have Cait) and this one was just wait forever for a named attack and then pounce. Couldn’t even pop off a fire or anything because no matter how quick I was or how far away I was insta-combo’d the second I selected the spell

Glad immediately after was a fun sidequest and a relaxing piano piece to ace

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Roche fight at the end of Chapter 11 was funny to me because he wailed on me for a while and I was basically helpless until I managed to pressure him, then when he staggered I deleted 70% of his lifebar with Infinity's End

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I hate being distant from an enemy and doing the cross-slash limit break and whiffing two of the three slashes because the enemy was too mobile :mad:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like all the open world stuff, I’m finding it a lot of fun to do it all!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah that might be the difference in experiences. I was using no magic and basically focusing all on swordplay with a physical Cloud build since before than I already had Cait Sith and Aerith set up as casters. There are fights in this game where you just have to play patient.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Chadley should have been a date option, where he and Cloud just blankly stare at each other in silence for the entirety of the gondola ride.

“Thank you Cloud, this has been a most enlightening experience.”

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I too like the open world stuff but that's me really enjoying the world they crafted and doing the combat with all those characters. However, I do agree that more banter between the party as you walked around would have been nice. There are no less than a hundred thousand variants of all the songs so why not have a ton of inter-party dialogue?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jimbot posted:

I too like the open world stuff but that's me really enjoying the world they crafted and doing the combat with all those characters. However, I do agree that more banter between the party as you walked around would have been nice. There are no less than a hundred thousand variants of all the songs so why not have a ton of inter-party dialogue?

That's a significantly larger time and money investiture than music.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like the combat simulator.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JBP posted:

I like the combat simulator.

:mods:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Cloud! Thank you for navigating to the map marker I provided! As a reward for doing that, I am providing you with another map marker!

The thing that really gets me about Chadley is that it's clearly supposed to be a running joke that MAI is annoying. Even Chadley hates her! He either insults her or puts her on mute every single time she speaks, sometimes both. So, like,

a) why can't we do that, but more importantly,

b) why the gently caress are you still bothering to solicit her input, Chadley?!

One of the most annoying types of Video Game Writing is when a game attempts to use self-awareness as cover for a thing it's doing that it knows you'll hate. Like when a game gives you a boring fetch quest and your protagonist says "oh, great, a boring fetch quest" and maybe you even chuckle because they're saying what you're thinking but when you're done chuckling you still have do do a boring fetch quest and it will still suck. It grates because it's so transparent; you can feel the developer's understanding that the content they're putting before you sucks and that what they ought to do is remove it and replace it with something better, perhaps even nothing, but for whatever reason (and there are reasons) they can't, so instead they shift into The Writer Will Think Of Something Mode and try to joke about it. To get away with this kind of thing you need to have some kind of plausible separation and some reason to have to do this thing. You have to be, to some extent, figurative or literal, at a safe distance from the thing you're mocking, because otherwise you are that thing.

I'm going to spoiler this next paragraph on account of a sidequest in Gongaga but not any main plot.

Rebirth manages to thread this needle sometimes. A lot of players really love the Chicken Sidequest. In this very thread it has been cited as a counterpoint to the Vacuum Discourse, to suggest that Rebirth is in the habit of presenting gameplay which is ironically bad. This defense is mistaken, not because Rebirth isn't in the habit of employing irony, but because a lot of the time it fails to adequately do so but the Chicken Sidequest doesn't fail. The Chicken Sidequest loving nails it. The Chicken Sidequest delivers two incredible punchlines whose impact hinges on the fact - absolutely fundamentally loving requires - that the minigame you have to play in order to see it is awful. The said minigame is also, notably, not too awful; it's not hard to understand and doesn't take too long to complete, although it's annoying when you fail because for the joke to land it has to be understood that in completing the minigame you have risked something and overcome it. It lands because they understand not just how the minigame makes you feel but also because - see if you can spot the link to my constant bugbear, which I will otherwise not be addressing outside this implication - they understand how the outer game instructing you to play the minigame makes you feel. It understands that you will come to hate it, and then based on that understanding it understands that as you approach the last chicken you will dread what will follow, and it indulges that dread for just a little bit and then has you feel intense relief, because it gave you an absolutely atrocious objective to complete and then didn't require you to engage with the thing that it understands is bad. And then, then, only now that it has made you feel relief, does it hit you with the last reveal, the one that you definitely should have seen coming and maybe even did but you thought the whole emotional journey was over because of the last rugpull and the last thing you expected was another rugpull.. This is what it can look like when this gambit succeeds, when you put in the effort, work the concepts, and it pays off.

Chadley and MAI have no payoffs. They are just a constant source of interruptions, which are never welcome, never informative, never optional, and most gallingly of all, never varied, even when they aren't identical because Chadley has to ad-lib a description of a location for the republic transmuter chip he's tracked down because you went to his map markers. There's no point whatsoever to the CHAD Module besides the brief chuckle you'll make when the popup informs you that you've acquired it and the engagement you'll get when you share a screenshot of that notification. And even he hates MAI, and you're invited to laugh because he's saying what you're thinking, but all of that was put in the game by people who clearly understand that you're gonna hate it and make you sit through it anyway.

BUT WAIT, because the punchline to this writing failure is that MAI's mid-battle intel dumps, whose unchanging joke is that she's prattling on about whatever while you're busy fighting whatever rare freakbeast abomination she's lecturing you about, aren't boring at all! I mean they're not exactly deep lore but they flesh out the world's fauna, establish the fiends as something a tiny bit deeper than blips on your world map, hint that the world you're exploring has things happening in it independent of either your presence or the main plot, and somewhat establish a character for MAI beyond simply being the subject of Chadley's constant mockery. Quite a few times I actually stopped to pay attention to the things she's saying. She has unique, interesting and (somewhat) relevant dialogue for every single rare fiend, and there are more rare fiends than there are of any other map marker, sometimes even combined! Chadley sure as gently caress does not have anything interesting to say about them or indeed anything else, including the Protorelic quests for which he does have unique dialogue for each. The only time MAI is actually annoying is when she's telling you "oh, you won, but you didn't pressure them before staggering them, so when you think about it, your success is actually a failure!". There would be no issue if they simply moved MAI's dialogue to before rather than during the fights. MAI's faults are not MAI's faults; they are the game designer's faults, and the game designer is trying to throw the blame. Don't fall for it. That's right; MAI did nothing wrong. Say it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think you've misread the joke. It's not supposed to be funny because MAI is annoying, I don't really think she is either. It's funny because the core premise that Chadley invented an(other) artificial intelligence and they inexplicably loathe each other is just solid comedy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If MAI is intended to be sympathetic then I don't see how Chadley hating her - his creation who's doing her own work and establishing her own presence independent of him despite actually being dependent on him and never reciprocating that hatred outside of directly responding to his mockery - is funny. What's the joke there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The joke is :iiam:.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Sympathetic" is also too strong, I think. I like Chadley, but he's intentionally kind of weird and offputting, it's meant to be a somewhat absurd dynamic.

Also, she absolutely gives it to Chadley as good as she receives.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chadley is a weird robot who created his own weird robot and then gets annoyed when she does exposition or praises his best friend Cloud. That’s his job!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I really like when you do the Ch 13 open world missions without Chadley, but the developers just leaned onto the same code as the Chadley missions, so after you complete a fight, everyone just stands around for 10 seconds for no reason, waiting for a Chadley call that never happens (I don't like this) (but I do like not receiving a two line dialogue from Chadley)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Maybe I've played too much FFXIV but I thought Chadley and MAI was a somewhat oblique Omega M and F reference.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I have finished the game, it is very good, I have a lot of questions but the spoiler thread isn't really helpful so off I go to wait for the DLC/ next game!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I love Mai. I wish I could replace Chadley with her for good.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Arist posted:

I think you've misread the joke. It's not supposed to be funny because MAI is annoying, I don't really think she is either. It's funny because the core premise that Chadley invented an(other) artificial intelligence and they inexplicably loathe each other is just solid comedy.

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

That's a significantly larger time and money investiture than music.
Not sure about that. Writing dialogue is one of the cheapest things you can do in game production, even with full voice acting. Compared to the sheer fat stacks of cash burned to make the other ludicrously profligate displays of excess in this game, having the actual party members chatter instead of Chadley probably doesn't even register