Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Have a friend who really wanted to get me into that game, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Odin Sphere is a quality title with a simple but effective (and surprisingly literal) gameplay loop, an operatic story, and great presentation. It was the first game of theirs I played and it definitely made me a fan. Dragon's Crown is basically Shadow Over Mystara 2.0 and great with friends, though the story is very perfunctory. It's a more mechanically meaty game with an equally rich artstyle, though it gets a little horny at times if that's a no-go. George Kamitami loves drawing big, strapping, muscular men and busty, curvaceous women, and isn't shy about it. As a fan of Frank Frazetta, I can't say I mind, but it was a topic of some conversation when the game came out and if that ain't you, that ain't you.

Haven't played 13 Sentinels or GrimGrimoire so no opinions there, though I wanna play 13 Sentinels at some point. I've heard great things about it.

Unicorn Overlord is definitely on my shortlist.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I have 13 Sentinels sitting on my ps5, around how long is it? Maybe I'll try and squeeze it in

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

queeb posted:

I have 13 Sentinels sitting on my ps5, around how long is it? Maybe I'll try and squeeze it in

30 hours

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Holy Moly.

So many games to play but the one that's got me hooked over everything is Pacific drive.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

queeb posted:

Holy Moly.

So many games to play but the one that's got me hooked over everything is Pacific drive.

What state is it in atm? I've heard some things about it maybe having some balance and/or UX issues that they might want to tweak in patches.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

they're on like 1.4 now i think or something, still no saving if you need to quit out during a drive, but it saves at the beginning of the area you're in so at most you lose like 15-20 mins if you're deep into an area and have to quit for some reason.

balance seems OK, im flush with stuff from scavenging so sometimes i just drive right through an area without grabbing anything if its too spicy.

game just has such a great vibe going to it, about to get into the mid-zone so stuff is going to pick up in difficulty.

this is my current shitbox, i put glow in the dark stickers on it and now i can see it easily in the dark lol

and i found a space ship steering wheel, which is actually OP since i can see better now

i went into my first actual extreme anomaly zone:

didnt know what eerie darkness would be like, I arrived at that zone at 2pm and this is what it looked like lol

just really in love with this game, who thought the extraction shooter gameplay but with a car with an 80s vibe and creepy poo poo all over would be so good

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
RE: Pacific Drive - are there any game mechanics that force you to move on from an area instead of thoroughly it - like a timer or enemies/threats building up?

e: vvv thanks for the replies!

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 11, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

RE: Pacific Drive - are there any game mechanics that force you to move on from an area instead of thoroughly it - like a timer or enemies/threats building up?

Yes, but it's limited and optional. Basically, there is a mechanic called instability storm, which can come into an area and basically encircles the playing area with a damaging zone that is constantly shrinking until you either die or leave the zone. Basically like a Battle Royale if you ever played any of those. The storm will always happen once you activate a gateway to end the current run, but that's mostly there to give you a bit of an adrenaline kick at the end. However, it can also happen on its own if you stay in a zone for a prolonged time.

There are two limiting factors to this, though: For one, some zones are "perfect stability" zones, which means the storm will never happen there unless you activate the gateway, so you can just take your time and loot forever in those. Aside from that, the game also has very granular difficulty options, which let you simply disable the timed and/or gateway instability storms altogether.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 11, 2024

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

Free 13 Sentinels so more people can experience it, you dinosaur fucks!

:emptyquote:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
13 Sentinels ran better on Switch than it did on PS4. Extrapolating in the other direction, the sad conclusion is that PCs simply wouldn't be capable of running the game at an acceptable framerate.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Perestroika posted:

Aside from that, the game also has very granular difficulty options, which let you simply disable the timed and/or gateway instability storms altogether.

Weird to me that they go through all the effort of this (which I appreciate a LOT, by the way--my eyes aren't so good anymore/I don't have an OLED so it's nice to be able to turn on loot highlighting and brighter nights), but then make a massive post about how the saving system is sacrosanct to the design. You can already disable losing your loot on a failed run and you could save scum if you really wanted since it saves when you enter a zone. I don't personally have issues with the current save game arrangement but it feels like a weird hill to die on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

13 Sentinels ran better on Switch than it did on PS4. Extrapolating in the other direction, the sad conclusion is that PCs simply wouldn't be capable of running the game at an acceptable framerate.

It emulates perfectly. As does Unicorn Overlord, incidentally.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

Weird to me that they go through all the effort of this (which I appreciate a LOT, by the way--my eyes aren't so good anymore/I don't have an OLED so it's nice to be able to turn on loot highlighting and brighter nights), but then make a massive post about how the saving system is sacrosanct to the design. You can already disable losing your loot on a failed run and you could save scum if you really wanted since it saves when you enter a zone. I don't personally have issues with the current save game arrangement but it feels like a weird hill to die on.

Yeah, the saving system annoys me as well. Personally I suspect it's actually a technical issue somewhere deep in the engine that would make it unusually tricky to implement saving while out in one of the zones, and that they're just dressing it up as a game-philosophy thing because that sounds better than going "yeah we just don't have the time/resources to add this".

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

EA should put The Movies back on the Steam store so that I can play it without bricking my lappy

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Fanatical Flash Deals for today:

Star Wars Collection contains a bunch of stuff, such as both KOTORs and Jedi Knights. Ironically, it also includes Dark Forces, but the regular version, not the recent remaster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kragger99 posted:

e: vvv thanks for the replies!

Looks like everything else has been covered, but I'll add that the game forcing you out of an area isn't really that big of a deal. The loot is all random and it's all just "press collect all" type stuff. There are a few loot types that you will want to run up and snag if you see it, like plasma, but most things are just "it was in this container, and now it's in my trunk" type stuff. There has only been one time when I've seen something and the impending circle forced me to abandon investigating it. Other than that, you can always just make another run into the zone and loot stuff. The randomness of the buildings and loot often means that sometimes you get a good run, and sometimes it's a crapshoot. There are times where I make my way into an irradtiated building that looks all crazy, and then there's a single garbage can with two fabrics in it and that's it. Just take what you can get and move on towards your objective.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JAnon posted:

EA should put The Movies back on the Steam store so that I can play it without bricking my lappy

Wasn't the movies a lionhead joint aka technically Microsoft? I mean I agree with you but I dunno if that's EA's jurisdiction.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like everything else has been covered, but I'll add that the game forcing you out of an area isn't really that big of a deal. The loot is all random and it's all just "press collect all" type stuff. There are a few loot types that you will want to run up and snag if you see it, like plasma, but most things are just "it was in this container, and now it's in my trunk" type stuff. There has only been one time when I've seen something and the impending circle forced me to abandon investigating it. Other than that, you can always just make another run into the zone and loot stuff. The randomness of the buildings and loot often means that sometimes you get a good run, and sometimes it's a crapshoot. There are times where I make my way into an irradtiated building that looks all crazy, and then there's a single garbage can with two fabrics in it and that's it. Just take what you can get and move on towards your objective.

yeah this, i try and fill my trunk on a drive but you can always just pick up poo poo on the easy nodes as you drive to your destination and then just bumrush the objective in the Real poo poo area

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

explosivo posted:

Wasn't the movies a lionhead joint aka technically Microsoft? I mean I agree with you but I dunno if that's EA's jurisdiction.

Microsoft bought Lionhead and The Movies was apparently published by Activision, so at least all the rights are finally in the same house now in case that was the issue.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

What's the consensus on Outward? It looks like the kind of game that I'd like but the reviews are mixed.

I'm excited about DD2 coming out, but I only have one day to beat it. Rise of the Ronin comes out the next day and Nioh 2 is one of my all time faves. I'm hoping it isn't the disappointment Wo Long was

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Didn't like Outward, its a janky RPG with bad controls.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Q-sixtysix posted:

What's the consensus on Outward? It looks like the kind of game that I'd like but the reviews are mixed.

I'm excited about DD2 coming out, but I only have one day to beat it. Rise of the Ronin comes out the next day and Nioh 2 is one of my all time faves. I'm hoping it isn't the disappointment Wo Long was

Outward's a pretty neat open-world action RPG with a focus on survival and hiking, but it can definitely be a bit mixed. It's in that AA/indie jank level where it has some very unique mechanics but could be a bit rough around the edges. I wrote this about it earlier in the thread:

FutureCop posted:

Some cool stuff about Outward (well, depending on your point of view):

*When you die in Outward, you don't get a game over and have to reload your save. Instead, when you die, you get an event depending on the circumstances. Sometimes this is something like being nursed back to health by a fellow traveler, but sometimes, say, in the case of bandits, this is being imprisoned or enslaved in their camp/mines, and it becomes a whole quest to break out of there. Essentially you never die but only get KO'd. Hardcore difficulty mode, however, does makes it a gamble whether you permanently die or get a random event.

*Your backpack which carries most of your inventory is not typical video game hammerspace, but an actual physical object that hampers your movement. If you get in combat, you'll need to press the button to detach it from your shoulders to be able to move swiftly, potentially even abandoning it where it is so you can run fast enough to live and recover it later. Basically, wearing your backpack in combat is the equivalent of fatrolling in Dark Souls, but even worse.

*Speaking of backpacks, the game is really about long-term traveling and survival: you need to carry sleeping bags, traps, rations, tea, injury kits, cooking and crafting implements, you need to wear the right clothing and/or drink a hot/cold tea for the environment temperature (for example, I'm sure your platemail is high in defense, but it will boil you alive in the desert), you need to eat for tons of great buffs or prepare for certain monsters you'll fight, and so on.

*Magic is not something you can be born with: there's a very involved quest to unlock it, and unlocking it does require sacrificing some of your health. Magic is also very involved and ritualistic: you don't just sling fireballs willy-nilly. All you can do is simple sparks out of your hands unless empowered by a magic circle: then your spark can become a fireball, for example. Think of something like Dragon Dogma's more involved magic, but more so.

*Combat is very hard and dangerous due to the slowness and how grievous injuries can be: because of this, the game leans heavily on you utilizing lots of preparation, such as traps and the aforementioned magic circles. Outsmart them!

I found it to be a pretty dang cool 'jank' survival RPG, similar to something like Elex.

It reminds me a bit of Dragon's Dogma, what with its big world, lack of fast-travel, packing supplies and dealing with the weight thereof, and combat with weighty hits and magic that has considerable cast-time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Q-sixtysix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOPkw-SKDIg

This review convinced me to install it and try it, but upon installing I died very quickly to some wildlife, wasn't thrilled with the controls, and uninstalled.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Combat too bad. I'll play some jank games if combat good, Outward ain't it chief.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I played it for 90 minutes and didn't feel the itch to keep going.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried playing Outward 3 separate times and quit when doing the melee tutorial because it plays like rear end.

I have a feeling Outward is for people yearning for Gothic-likes.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Thanks for the answers guys, I think I'll pass on it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I suspect I'd like Outward more if I weren't drowning in stuff like Elden Ring or Hrot or Death Stranding

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I read that Outward review thinking it was Eastward, which I got from a Humble Bundle a couple days ago. (what's the consensus on Eastward?)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

aces, another game for everyone to confuse with Outer Wilds and The Outer Worlds

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really like Outward and I'm looking forward to the sequel that was announced recently. :shrug:

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing Outward 3 separate times and quit when doing the melee tutorial because it plays like rear end.

I have never played Gothic and I'm not a person who looks for jank. It also plays quite well and I have a lot of fun whenever I try a new build.

FWIW the definitive edition changed a lot of the combat options for the better, but the core game hasn't changed so if you hated it before I wouldn't say it is worth it returning to the game.

I mean, it is $6 today on Steam (and I'm pretty sure I've seen it for less in bundles and such before) so it's not exactly a huge risk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hwurmp makes a good point, everybody SHOULD play Outer Wilds :hmmyes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play Outie Welds

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Megazver posted:

This is the first time I hear of these people tbh (this is the Steam thread, not the handheld weebs thread). Are their games actually worth emulating?

Vanillaware is legitimately one of the best developers around these days and virtually every one of their games is teetering on some kind of masterpiece territory

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

I read that Outward review thinking it was Eastward, which I got from a Humble Bundle a couple days ago. (what's the consensus on Eastward?)
I tried playing it on Switch one of the free weekends and it was going hard on an Earthbound/Mother 3 aesthetic and almost 2D Zelda style gameplay, but nothing it was doing really grabbed me in the short time I had to play it (~1 hour). It wasn't bad or anything, and I wouldn't object to picking it up if it was cheap enough, but nothing super compelling either.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Outward has an incredible sense of exploration and discovery. I played as a rune mage and it was fun, but it's not available right at the start. It is janky but there aren't a lot of games which hit in the feels in terms of exploration that well. I would recommend it and also very stoked for a sequel, but like I said you might need some jank tolerance (built up by years of playing early access survival crafting games for me)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Didn't like Outward, its a janky RPG with bad controls.

That's basically the best summary of it anyone could come up with. It scratches the itch for a few people but turns off a lot of others.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Q-sixtysix posted:

Outward is janky and tedious.

The main problem I had with it is that the combat is too janky to be so lethal when traveling back from your spawn point is so long and tedious. You can just take 1 hit you shouldn't have and it's now a 10 minute minute walk punishment. It's like the worst Dark Souls boss run but with combat that is both jankier and more lethal.

One time I died and respawned and imagined the runback and just turned off the game and uninstalled. This was 17 hours in too so it wasn't like I didn't give it a chance.

EDIT: Here's an interesting mechanic: If you use stamina you burn maximum stamina. Running uses stamina. So if you don't walk everywhere you're burning your maximum stamina, making it harder to fight, or even impossible if you burn enough of it. There are ways to restore it like certain consumables or resting, but it's just a taste of how the game just does not give a poo poo about how much time it makes you waste traveling.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

nah. Outward is pretty bad.