Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I like when mai dumps cool monster facts on me, from my controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 10 question

I missed part of the dialogue(because it was during a fight and the Gi are huge assholes) but the Gi are aliens right? That’s why they can’t return to the lifestream(because they didn’t come from it)?

Also this origin for the black materia certainly makes more sense than the OG, especially with Dirge of Cerberus showing the planet had an escape plan if poo poo went bad anyway.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah. That’s what I took from it. Pretty interesting comparison to Jenova and Seph imo. Really dug what was done with them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Arist posted:

"Sympathetic" is also too strong, I think. I like Chadley, but he's intentionally kind of weird and offputting, it's meant to be a somewhat absurd dynamic.

Also, she absolutely gives it to Chadley as good as she receives.

Yeah, Chadley definitely talks too much, but Mai and Chadley fighting to be in focus on the video call is pretty funny.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah. That’s what I took from it. Pretty interesting comparison to Jenova and Seph imo. Really dug what was done with them.

I can't really remember this but the Cetra are aliens right?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I don't have mai on the controller speaker so hear her even less than usual while she prattles on about fiends, which absolutely is a comedic small thing for me.

Chadley is just the worst tho, just an absolute garbage character. "i noticed you have not collected a lot of world data cloud, not complaining of course, just observing" well yeah gently caress you too chadley, I've been spending half an hour doing your dumb combat challenges against mooks to get some materia that you could easily just give me without any of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JBP posted:

I can't really remember this but the Cetra are aliens right?

No, they're native to the planet. there's like an line in the original where Sephiroth says they were travellers but that's The Original FF7 Translation so ya know...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Onmi posted:

No, they're native to the planet. there's like an line in the original where Sephiroth says they were travellers but that's The Original FF7 Translation so ya know...

Yeah thanks, I just couldn't remember what the deal was because there's a lot of space stuff.

Also does anyone know what happens with who the game picks if you max more than one relationship? Is there a secret meter that keeps climbing?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I have important information to share with you all

https://youtu.be/8uPD4M-l9HQ?si=mKrp1_zSC38-N0sd

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I realize that this is the video game incarnation of "You didn't have to go that hard" but holy poo poo the Gold Saucer is overwhelming.

Also, I assume being offered a level 39 challenge in the colisseum when I'm level 30 is a "come back later, dummy" signal?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

Yeah thanks, I just couldn't remember what the deal was because there's a lot of space stuff.

Also does anyone know what happens with who the game picks if you max more than one relationship? Is there a secret meter that keeps climbing?

I assume there’s a secret priority if there’s a tie

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Re: Chadley

I don't think he should be removed, I just think the rest of the party should acknowledge his existence and/or the missions he gives at any point, ever. Like, I think there are a few isolated moments when the party talks to Chadley (maybe? can't quite remember) but honestly he might as well be a figment of Cloud's imagination 99% of the time. It's a huge waste.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
If Chadley was revealed to be a delusion all along that would be such a ballay twist.

I, too, appreciated "Chadley has invented another AI, who he hates and is sexist at". It just seems like it could have been totally avoidable because you made her, dude, come on, this is on you. The fact that her voice comes through the controller giving you Lore Facts while you're engaged in these intense fights is a gag that makes me smile every time. (I actually like Mai more than Chadley, I'll admit.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Re: Chadley

I don't think he should be removed, I just think the rest of the party should acknowledge his existence and/or the missions he gives at any point, ever. Like, I think there are a few isolated moments when the party talks to Chadley (maybe? can't quite remember) but honestly he might as well be a figment of Cloud's imagination 99% of the time. It's a huge waste.

He's acknowledged for protorelic stuff!

E:

CapnAndy posted:

I realize that this is the video game incarnation of "You didn't have to go that hard" but holy poo poo the Gold Saucer is overwhelming.

Also, I assume being offered a level 39 challenge in the colisseum when I'm level 30 is a "come back later, dummy" signal?

You can, but they're definitely doable if you want the challenge.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given how the Nibelheim protorelic quest ends with the reveal that Chadley's physical body is still in Hojo's lab where he can poke around in Chadley's brain it raises a lot of questions as to what exactly you're interacting with in the world

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway, much like in Remake Chadley is mostly a bunch of gameplay mechanics in the form of a character but he's a lot more a part of the world than in the first game. He's involved in one questline each zone, he shows up in the card game tournament and thanks to MAI he even gets to regularly interact with a whole other character than Cloud! I think he's way less awkward a presence now and basically feels like an FF7 character should, by which I mean he is just an extremely weird and kinda comical guy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Still would be nice if other characters pierced the veil and entered the Chadley Dimension more often. Honestly I think he feels extremely NOT part of the world for precisely that reason. He exists in a separate world and only occasionally makes brief contact with Final Fantasy 7.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So how is the game? Is it not worth picking up if one is a gurmudgeon for remakes adding too much new stuff and characters? So far I've heard from friends is that there is a lot of characters, events and open world stuff that wasn't there in the original, but is the actual remade part done well?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Did you play the first one? They aren’t remakes in the usual sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I would say they whiffed on some of the most memorable scenes from the original this time. Mostly because of adding too much stuff directly adjacent to them. Like, you can feel that they loved the game and wanted to make it bigger and better, but it just didn't work for me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TeaJay posted:

So how is the game? Is it not worth picking up if one is a gurmudgeon for remakes adding too much new stuff and characters? So far I've heard from friends is that there is a lot of characters, events and open world stuff that wasn't there in the original, but is the actual remade part done well?
Nobody who had a single idea for anything to be added to the game was told “no” at any point in the entire development process. It is the most Video Game. If you liked Remake and wanted more, this is much, much more. If you didn’t like Remake, oh boy will you hate this. If you didn’t play Remake, you need to do that first, because let’s just say they did some tweaks to the plot and you really can’t just drop in to Disc 2 here and follow what’s going on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I mean I didn't play the remake but I read stuff and know what's the deal with it. I guess I was looking for "the same but with better graphics" and as I understood the first one wasn't really it, but I still had to try and look for information if they went even more overboard with adding new stuff or if they toned it down. I guess I can already see what the answer is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

TeaJay posted:

Yeah I mean I didn't play the remake but I read stuff and know what's the deal with it. I guess I was looking for "the same but with better graphics" and as I understood the first one wasn't really it, but I still had to try and look for information if they went even more overboard with adding new stuff or if they toned it down. I guess I can already see what the answer is.
I feel like there’s a vast gulf between reading about Remake and experiencing it — the combat is terrific, the cutscenes are charming, the whole thing is a massive spectacle. But toned it down? Oh my, no. More like we all thought Remake was Maximum Nomura, and Nomura was like “fools, this isn’t even my final form, this is what it’s like to go EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!” and then he screamed for 15 minutes until his hair grew really long and his eyebrows disappeared, and that is Rebirth.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’d call it more a reimagining than a remake at this point. FF7 Remake had a bunch of scenes that were near 1-to-1 with the original but there isn’t much of that in this one

That said, if you view it as its own thing it’s really good

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CapnAndy posted:

I feel like there’s a vast gulf between reading about Remake and experiencing it — the combat is terrific, the cutscenes are charming, the whole thing is a massive spectacle. But toned it down? Oh my, no. More like we all thought Remake was Maximum Nomura, and Nomura was like “fools, this isn’t even my final form, this is what it’s like to go EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!” and then he screamed for 15 minutes until his hair grew really long and his eyebrows disappeared, and that is Rebirth.

Nomura wanted the game to be exactly like the original in terms of story, it was Nojima (the writer) who wanted to make changes. (The expanding on setting/gameplay stuff was obviously always planned).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RatHat posted:

I’d call it more a reimagining than a remake at this point. FF7 Remake had a bunch of scenes that were near 1-to-1 with the original but there isn’t much of that in this one

The Kalm Flashback part was 1 to 1 in a lot of scenes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nomura wanted the game to be exactly like the original in terms of story

Proof that sometimes even the goats don't always get it right..........

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RatHat posted:

These games are sequels to OG FF7. So much that happens in the main story hinges on the fact that you know what happens in the story and specific scenes before playing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macaluso posted:

These games are sequels to OG FF7. So much that happens in the main story hinges on the fact that you know what happens in the story and specific scenes before playing

In a meta sense, yeah. But they aren’t marketed that way

EDIT: the situation is really similar to the Evangelion movies

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 12, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RatHat posted:

In a meta sense, yeah. But they aren’t marketed that way

I agree they aren't. They should be. That was one of the issues I had with Remake. I'm down with this alternate timeline stuff they're doing but I wish they would've been up front about that in the first place.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chapter 12
I loving love Cloud and Rufus trading one-liners so much. Making Rufus into Cloud’s action game rival was such a good move

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TeaJay posted:

People might bring up small gripes or annoyances in the moment but these are highly praised games with incredible art and style with updated gameplay that the majority of people are in favor for. Like it won’t even be a question that this game is the game of the year and the production budget really shows in the quality.

There are variances in the story which are mostly appreciated if you have a fondness for FF7 lore and one new controversial concept that you can easily choose to ignore. If you like FF7 or like the genre you just need to try it for yourself.

In general never let 2-3 random people on the internet immediately take you to “I guess I can see the answer”.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What was the beef with Shinra mansion lol? You just call the moogle and bash thing until they die.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Dave posted:

Like it won’t even be a question that this game is the game of the year

This is bold talk when Dragon's Dogma 2 is just 10 days away, though

quote:

There are variances in the story which are mostly appreciated if you have a fondness for FF7 lore and one new controversial concept that you can easily choose to ignore. If you like FF7 or like the genre you just need to try it for yourself.

In general never let 2-3 random people on the internet immediately take you to “I guess I can see the answer”.

FF7 is probably one of my all-time favourites, that's why I'm incredibly wary of any changes. Mostly I've been probing how much changes there actually are. It is kinda alarming that people are kinda skirting around the fact going "Yeeeaaaaaahhh, there are quite a few .... " but I do realize that problem might be my unrealistic expectations on how Square will approach this kind of game. It is after all a remake and not a remaster.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

TeaJay posted:

FF7 is probably one of my all-time favourites, that's why I'm incredibly wary of any changes.

FF7 still exists they didn’t take it out back and shoot it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
In fact if anything the original is even more important now.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
The Remake series is very much a text in dialogue with the original game. The comparison to the Evangelion Redos was apt.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Chadley is a certified GOAT. If you don’t like him, you’re wrong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Chadley is a certified GOAT. If you don’t like him, you’re wrong.

Same but the Shinra Mansion. Absolutely a high point for me lmao. Cait Sith owns, he's so strong and has millions of problem solving skills. I'm subbing him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TeaJay posted:

This is bold talk when Dragon's Dogma 2 is just 10 days away, though

FF7 is probably one of my all-time favourites, that's why I'm incredibly wary of any changes.

I would say that’s a reason enough to play or be knowledgeable of these games. Even if you find out you hate the expanded story and new gameplay you’ll at least get to hear the new soundtrack which has near 100% praise.