Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Probably only one outfit keeps doing it (keep clicking the wrong tech tree) , everyone else thinks is such a dumb solution.

Yeah why not use your thighs to control it?

Yes, it would make.much more sense to have the jets on a small frame leaving your arms free to do other things.

But, this whole thing started as a guy wanting to make a Iron Man suit so there you have it, weve got jets strapped to his arms and legs. Your literally supporting your weight on your arms and legs during the whole flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i think it needs a lot more utility if it's going to take up a backpack slot like autocannon ammo, guard dog, or energy shield.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

this might be my fave post in a while

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MilitaryTimes/status/1767211407198589048?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

this might be my fave post in a while

This promo video is amazing. https://youtu.be/SS4OPEEukcU?feature=shared

-Founder saying he was Sent to give aviation to every village on Earth
-Highlights belief in intelligent design
-Calls out that working at Orb Aero is about a mission from the lord, not about employees making good money
-Pauses for uncomfortable amounts of time between words
-Lots of clips of hobbyist grade projects

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

quote:

"The stress from the unit’s training tempo was compounded by their seemingly futile battle to keep their vehicles running, the Iron Knights said. Members of other armored units described similar struggles.

Soldiers regularly worked nights and weekends in the motorpool, they said. Former Spc. Garrett Shiemke, a Bradley mechanic, said the maintainers turned wrenches even on so-called “mandatory fun days,” when the rest of the unit would participate in morale-boosting and team-building activities.

“Everything was secondary to making sure the vehicles are up — including personal health and physical fitness,” said Wright, the infantry captain."

Im sure things have improved since then! Ready to take on the reds anytime, anywhere! Hooah!

quote:

"Meanwhile, tank brigades run a familiar treadmill, powered by a decade’s worth of decisions by the Army, the Defense Department and policymakers.

The Iron Knight battalion returned from an eight-month deployment to Poland in December 2022. If the Army met its dwell-to-deployment ratio goal, soldiers who completed that rotation would not deploy again until December 2024.

The battalion’s lead element deploys next week."

Woops!

Comrade Merf has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Mar 11, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

back to work slackers

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The beatings will continue until morale improves

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

wouldn't you be doing the equivalent of holding your body up by your shoulders the whole time you're using the jetpack things

and woudn't the weight of whatever gear you're carrying be included in that

This is a problem that's easily solved by using a powered exoskeleton.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
jetpack, jetpack, jetpack could never whip a llamas rear end

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slavvy posted:

The beatings will continue until morale improves

the ACLU has found you to be racist

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

timely https://www.defensenews.com/land/2024/03/11/us-army-scraps-extended-range-cannon-artillery-prototype-effort/

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

“It is not a good idea” wins on that cannon. Now to see if they get an alternative or just decide such ranges are just for rocket artillery like basically everyone else has already decided.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
mlm wrong again?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol 58 calibres. These loving dummies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

mlm wrong again?

If you look back, I said that the army was testing whether or not these 70km cannons were a good idea and that they might decide they are not a good idea and that it was specifically an area the army was waffling on.

FF, claimed such cannons already existed and then walked his claim back to when he couldn’t find an example to say such things could exist but be even better if countries would only listen to him.

There’s still probably a reason such ranges are the land of rocket artillery.

Unless some cannon competitor decides this is their time to shine and the US gets interested in the alternatives, as the article suggests is still possible. But rocket artillery seems the safer route.

quote:

The new plan — following an “exhaustive” tactical fires study meant to revalidate elements of the extended-range cannon requirement led by Army Futures Command — is to evaluate existing options from industry this summer “to get a sense of the maturity of those systems.”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

oh dont you worry theyre still funding the XM1113 and XM1155 so 155mm wunderwaffen are definitely still on the menu

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Mar 12, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Because if gps guided rocket assisted 155mm shells made out of solid gold being fired from disposable mithril lightweight howitzers arent good enough, why not just go fully balls deep and sell the military on putting an entire ramjet into the shell behind the guidance package

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

dude shut up

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mlmp08 posted:

FF, claimed such cannons already existed and then walked his claim back to when he couldn’t find an example to say such things could exist but be even better if countries would only listen to him.

Is that your understanding of what happened?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Cannon cock(er) fighting

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

good ik prob

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You love to see it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Good effect on target

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

it’s cool how this thread is picking up steam, it means the thread title is true

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

it’s nice to have a happy thread

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

Good effect on target

Can we get an all guns repeat

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mandel Brotset posted:

it’s cool how this thread is picking up steam, it means the thread title is true

It's long, long overdue to be changed to 'is losing'

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Slavvy posted:

It's long, long overdue to be changed to 'is losing'

I say we wait until the first supercarrier is sunk, whether by enemy fire or negligence.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Comrade Merf posted:

Im sure things have improved since then! Ready to take on the reds anytime, anywhere! Hooah!

Woops!

So they're undermanned, can't keep the fancy vehicles up and running, and are constantly being deployed to America's colonial holdings. Yeah they're 100% ready for a war

As an aside, I did house inventory for a murder/suicide while I was in the Navy and that did a number on me. I didn't know the family and the house had been cleaned before my little team arrived, but a quarter of the living room was just missing and you could see where they'd cut out the carpet. We also had to get together a box of clothes and toys for the kids who were off living with grandparents. Its been over a decade and I still think about it sometimes.

I also had two six month deployments with only ten months in between, and half those ten months were spent at sea doing trainings. No suicides, but that span broke a few marriages

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Bates posted:

back in the 1950s and 1960s the US military experimented with personal flying machines to provide infantry with aerial reconnaissance capability, see if you can spot the problems with this particular design:

in addition to it being a giant blender with the death rotors right below the pilot, who is clinging onto the handlebars for dear life, it turns out that '20 minutes of instruction' was ridiculously optimistic, the thing was actually extremely complicated to control and required a great deal of skill to maneuver. expert test pilots had difficulty flying the thing even in the completely safe and controlled environment of a proving ground in the United States, the idea of actually using it in battlefield conditions is completely laughable. the counter-rotating rotors also had a tendency to wobble, which would cause them to intermesh with each other, destroying both rotors, kicking up shrapnel into the pilot's body, and then the entire ruined contraption would fall to the ground.

anyway, 70 years later they're still trying to make personal flying machines happen

skill issue

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is ironic too because not only the Russians/Chinese/DPRK keeping their old 203mm guns, but the Russians have clearly been amping up the usage of their Krasnopol GLONASS-guided 152mm shells at the same time.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Man, the united states had had a lot of really bad ideas. Still think they would win ww3 based on how russia is doing though.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Voice of America

https://www.voanews.com/a/pentagon-needs-10b-to-replace-weapons-already-sent-to-ukraine-officials-say/7523377.html

Pentagon Needs $10B to Replace Weapons Already Sent to Ukraine, Officials Say
By Carla Babb
March 11, 2024 9:32 PM

PENTAGON — The Pentagon has a funding shortfall of about $10 billion for U.S. military weapons needed to replace those already sent to Ukraine, a shortfall that requires additional money from Congress to fix, top Defense Department officials said Monday.

“We don't foresee a likely alternative outside of the supplemental funding [bill] or having that money added into an appropriations bill in order to achieve the replenishment that we need,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks told reporters.

“We are probably looking at about $10 billion to replace everything, everything that we’ve given in terms of supplies to Ukraine,” one official told VOA.

Pentagon officials expected to get the funding to replenish those stocks in a supplemental request from the Biden administration, which included billions of additional dollars in aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan. However, Congress has yet to pass a supplemental aid bill because of arguments on spending and U.S. border security.

The shortfall is tied to the way the Pentagon has accounted for the aid sent to Ukraine. Last June, the Pentagon said it overestimated the value of weapons sent to Ukraine by about $6.2 billion over the past two years.

When calculating its aid package estimates, the Department of Defense was counting the cost incurred to replace the weapons given to Ukraine, while it said it should have been totaling the cost of the systems actually sent, officials told VOA at the time.

The error provided the Pentagon the legal cover needed to send more aid to Ukraine, but the problem remained that more funds would be needed to replenish U.S. military stockpiles with newer, costlier weapons.

Failing to replenish U.S. stockpiles would negatively affect the military’s readiness, another defense official told VOA.

The department still has about $4 billion in authority to send aid to Ukraine, but Pentagon officials have told reporters that sending additional aid without the ability to replenish U.S. weapons stockpiles would be a risk the Defense Department is not willing to take at this time....

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
sorry bud the us already lost world war 3, but if you wanna chime in with a world war 4 prediction then go right ahead

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't remember that happening and I'm very up to date with the world.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fizziester posted:

Source: Voice of America

https://www.voanews.com/a/pentagon-needs-10b-to-replace-weapons-already-sent-to-ukraine-officials-say/7523377.html

Pentagon Needs $10B to Replace Weapons Already Sent to Ukraine, Officials Say
By Carla Babb
March 11, 2024 9:32 PM

PENTAGON — The Pentagon has a funding shortfall of about $10 billion for U.S. military weapons needed to replace those already sent to Ukraine, a shortfall that requires additional money from Congress to fix, top Defense Department officials said Monday.

“We don't foresee a likely alternative outside of the supplemental funding [bill] or having that money added into an appropriations bill in order to achieve the replenishment that we need,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks told reporters.

“We are probably looking at about $10 billion to replace everything, everything that we’ve given in terms of supplies to Ukraine,” one official told VOA.

Pentagon officials expected to get the funding to replenish those stocks in a supplemental request from the Biden administration, which included billions of additional dollars in aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan. However, Congress has yet to pass a supplemental aid bill because of arguments on spending and U.S. border security.

The shortfall is tied to the way the Pentagon has accounted for the aid sent to Ukraine. Last June, the Pentagon said it overestimated the value of weapons sent to Ukraine by about $6.2 billion over the past two years.

When calculating its aid package estimates, the Department of Defense was counting the cost incurred to replace the weapons given to Ukraine, while it said it should have been totaling the cost of the systems actually sent, officials told VOA at the time.

The error provided the Pentagon the legal cover needed to send more aid to Ukraine, but the problem remained that more funds would be needed to replenish U.S. military stockpiles with newer, costlier weapons.

Failing to replenish U.S. stockpiles would negatively affect the military’s readiness, another defense official told VOA.

The department still has about $4 billion in authority to send aid to Ukraine, but Pentagon officials have told reporters that sending additional aid without the ability to replenish U.S. weapons stockpiles would be a risk the Defense Department is not willing to take at this time....

Remember when they just found a bunch of surprise atacams and stuff lying around in a warehouse to send over? The warehouse guys kept records of that transaction.

Oh no what do you mean it wasn't all spare / leftover? Oh no. How terrible. Oh nooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

Man, the united states had had a lot of really bad ideas. Still think they would win ww3 based on how russia is doing though.

In ww3 the main Western opponent would be China. Also I think you're in the wrong thread.