Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Ultima Online had it correct by letting players fill up every inch of open space so you were basically doing battle across a medieval megamall

It was hilarious and it should happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Zokari posted:

i feel like if your game has non-instanced housing you're basically saying that you don't expect more than 100 people to ever play it

I think something similar to FFXIV is the right approach, where most of it is double-instanced (separate housing-only zones, and then only the outsides are uninstanced within those instanced zones). There's plenty of room to have some high-prestige "tourist traps" that are mostly open to the public while still mostly keeping it instanced. The real issue in that case would be figuring out a way to combat cartel/one guild dominating, but even there it should be fairly doable.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
guilds dominating housing is in line with mainstream fantasy schlock

quarm's concurrent player numbers proved that everquest at its core is a game about denying loot and items to other players, and I'm glad monsters & memories is taking this lesson to heart.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

If monsters&memories ever releases its gonna be good

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mr. Pickles posted:

They have perfected the Dwarf model.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

there cant be any good mmos so im pretty sure you just jinxed it sorry

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Looks like Pirates of the Burning Seas went free to play. I actually really enjoyed it many years ago but no idea if it has aged gracefully. I remember it had a good soundtrack. Still think of this open seas track sometimes. I remember playing a pirate and a French navy officer but I never got involved much in the PvP or port battles.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Looks like Pirates of the Burning Seas went free to play. I actually really enjoyed it many years ago but no idea if it has aged gracefully. I remember it had a good soundtrack. Still think of this open seas track sometimes. I remember playing a pirate and a French navy officer but I never got involved much in the PvP or port battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQ-FErQTVQ

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Holy poo poo I forgot all about that, haha.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's been free to play for some years now. Their primary US server was offline for like a year because of some major failure that required a total rebuild, it only came back a few months ago.

And then there was that time their rmt currency was being duped for months unnoticed. Nobody thought to cross check revenue with the amount of currency in the world.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/mmo/c...release-target/

It's gonna be great, everyone knows a game that takes 12 years to develop is always awesome. Look at Duke Nukem Forever!

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/mmo/c...release-target/

It's gonna be great, everyone knows a game that takes 12 years to develop is always awesome. Look at Duke Nukem Forever!

quote:

It's interesting that Unchained seems to have Unreal-style aspirations for its game engine. The field is already dominated by heavyweights like Unity and Unreal Engine, with various proprietary engines filling in the spaces, and I have a hard time imagining that the Unchained Engine will be able to find space for itself beyond Unchained's own games unless it does something really special.

And it may—but the first game to use it, Final Stand: Ragnarok, has not exactly made a big splash so far. It's been in early access on Steam since October 2021 and has thus far garnered just six user reviews and a peak concurrent player count of 32. That's obviously more a reflection of the game than the underlying technology, but even so it does suggest that it's not doing anything that immediately grabs attention.

Brutal.

tacoor gafruf
Sep 23, 2007

JUST SOME SCRUB
When I'm retired and scraping a living on a meagre state pension, I hope there is an MMO I can plug my brain into with a haptic suit so I can feel pain when getting kicked in my shrivelled old man nuts while getting ganked.
Also, I want an MMO where I can buy a big titty dragon wife, so I don't feel lonely as I die alone, Pissing and making GBS threads in my pants.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gonna try to play Everquest Online Adventures tomorrow. https://sandstorm.kiekko.tv

[edit]
The second you start up the game, it blasts the classic Everquest theme song, I am already in love.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 10, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
nice, glad to see EQOA emu is making progress

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I really need one of the new old-school-style MMOs to release because I've burned out on WoW classic like three different times now. It'd be soooo nice to explore a new game without having every single aspect of it data mined and run through simulators and min/maxed.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

kedo posted:

I really need one of the new old-school-style MMOs to release because I've burned out on WoW classic like three different times now. It'd be soooo nice to explore a new game without having every single aspect of it data mined and run through simulators and min/maxed.

I think this is the fate of any MMO in the modern era

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play a lot of city of heroes and sometimes it's a good reminder of what sucked about MMOs in a pre-datamining/pre-sims age. The most unbelievably, dumbfoundingly terrible build advice gets cycled around a lot. Luckily in CoH it doesn't matter much but it's jarring how bad some of the takes people have are when there's no actual simmed evidence to point to

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

yeah having to ask around, look into reputations, and trying things out for yourself is way worse than just going on maxroll.gg/mmo/top-10-builds and creating Optimized Character #2353

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

I play a lot of city of heroes and sometimes it's a good reminder of what sucked about MMOs in a pre-datamining/pre-sims age. The most unbelievably, dumbfoundingly terrible build advice gets cycled around a lot. Luckily in CoH it doesn't matter much but it's jarring how bad some of the takes people have are when there's no actual simmed evidence to point to

For a long time nobody playing EQ knew how haste worked (though they thought they did) so everyone built melee characters wrong. It ruled.

an iksar marauder posted:

yeah having to ask around, look into reputations, and trying things out for yourself is way worse than just going on maxroll.gg/mmo/top-10-builds and creating Optimized Character #2353

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 11, 2024

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i never want to see an optimized build, ever again

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The real poison is when you learn to play the game yourself, like you would any other single player game, and party members start to complain that aren't playing optimally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nowadays MMORPGs are made so you don't have to think about your character. You just collect gear with slightly higher stat points, rinse and repeat. There's no way to make a bad build in modern MMOs.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

The problem is, in modern mmorpgs, a build that does 5% less damage is seen as a bad build.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

In a similar vein, putting clever scripts in dungeons might seem like a good idea but it often means the only way to avoid other players getting mad is to read the strat, or watch a video, before you go in.

I guess the theory is that you have fun working out the puzzle that you need to stand behind a pillar when the boss yells X and pull a lever when he yells Y, but that only works when a game or expansion is new and even then the strat was probably published somewhere in the beta.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Nowadays MMORPGs are made so you don't have to think about your character. You just collect gear with slightly higher stat points, rinse and repeat. There's no way to make a bad build in modern MMOs.

ive seen some pretty wild gear and trait choices in gw2 and along with obvious ones there's still plenty of more subtle traps, things that seem synergistic but don't actually give you as much value as you'd think because of the tradeoffs you're making

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd think you could make a game that handles all the calculations server side and gives a bunch of random hidden modifiers to weapons and skills, but most people wouldn't like it.

I would! You could have thematic descriptions of powers but you don't see the numbers so st most you're eyeballing it as you fight.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

kedo posted:

the rng wow freeshard was a nice change of pace since it had skills hidden everywhere

but you ended up playing a gacha and that part wasn't fun

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

but honestly if you want to play a game around builds

go play a arpg

last epoch just lol

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Guild Wars 1 had a cool system that was full of netdecking but at least put some RPG into the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

an iksar marauder posted:

I agree that this kind of sucks, but it's also the inevitable outcome of developers who basically design X fight with the intention of a group having Y DPS.

I miss the days of people caring about things like backup healer, crowd control, backup tank, buffer, debuffer, etc but I think even in those days we were kidding ourselves and people just hadn't done the 'math' yet to optimize everything.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean if WoW classic is any indication, yes.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I agree that this kind of sucks, but it's also the inevitable outcome of developers who basically design X fight with the intention of a group having Y DPS.

I miss the days of people caring about things like backup healer, crowd control, backup tank, buffer, debuffer, etc but I think even in those days we were kidding ourselves and people just hadn't done the 'math' yet to optimize everything.

I still play 1999 era everquest 1 like this. A CH chain, spot healers for the melees, pullers, buffs, debuffs, CC, multiple tanks, bumpers for tank switches...

The solution is making PvE competitive. AKA no instancing. This will immediately solve the issue of being unable to create challenging content that requires creativity to overcome, because you're competing against humans with strategies

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I like it when when gear is unique, flavorful and makes some sense in the world. I get the dragon eye from slaying the dragon and the skeleton finger from the necromancer's quest line, and they do something cool and unique that's still helpful 200 hours later. I dislike it when gear is just dripfed pieces of an uniform with +10 main stat compared to the previous zone's set, leaving me wearing the exact same outfit every other player around me is wearing. Clownsuits rule, looking cool should have to wait until you're sufficiently powerful and accomplished.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This looks so loving good. If they ever manage to reconstitute the NPCs, skills, and quests i imagine it’ll accumulate a decently devoted playerbase because it’s so unique compared to other MMO options. I’d definitely play it again forever

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Groovelord Neato posted:

For a long time nobody playing EQ knew how haste worked (though they thought they did) so everyone built melee characters wrong. It ruled.

It was figured out halfway through vanilla, unless it all changed again in a much later expansion?

1h you just wanted the fastest weapon possible as the innate bonus damage built into the game was stronger than actual weapon damage. Procs might have some weighting but depended on which proc. and the character’s role.

2handers had a sweet spot at a specific delay (I want to say 40?) where the innate damage bonus going up met the damage/delay coming down.

Haste from spells didn’t stack with each other but did stack with item haste (and vice-versa)

I mean, the devs hadn’t figured this out but the players did - hence the “lol wtf” reaction when the moss-covered twig was discovered in Kunark.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

ive seen some pretty wild gear and trait choices in gw2 and along with obvious ones there's still plenty of more subtle traps, things that seem synergistic but don't actually give you as much value as you'd think because of the tradeoffs you're making

Hands up if the majority of your characters in Gw2 are decked out in legendary gear, while still sporting their lvl 5 breather

Other hand goes up if their water weapons are still green

Foot can go up if that green is under lvl 50.

Other foot goes up if you running this in a t4 Fractal with the jellyfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah having played some season of discovery the last little bit it's crazy how broken people's brains are by parsing and meta stuff. Checking gear and logs for the most mouthbreather content. I'm glad I got to experience MMOs back when nobody knew poo poo