Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only seen a few clips of the show and was surprised the tone is completely different from the Big Bang Theory. There's no laughtrack and I guess it feels more wholesome?

This thread doesn’t like it, but I’ve been watching since s1 and enjoyed it a lot, and I’ve hated Big Bang. It’s a completely different format, no laugh track, even the visual feel is different (more film blur, leas live studio).

The only connection to Big Bang is through the main character, and they’ve been depending on it less and less. The narrator is the original Sheldon, but after making a few forced call-backs to people and events from the original series in earlier, they’ve been doing their own thing.

Wholesome describes it very well. Additionally, setting in late 80s/early 90s adds some interesting background. However, it’s purely character driven and a great opportunity to see some cool actors - Robert Picardo was on last week, Wallace Shawn (inconceivable!) is a regular, as are some great background actors, like Ed Beagley Jr.and Wendie Malick.

From the main cast, it’s great to see Craig T. Nelson and Annie Potts on the reg, and the child actors are super talented.

The character couple that will get the spin-off subverts expectations - the original series set Sheldon’s older brother as a womanizer looser, but here he seems to step up really well into the role of a young father, even if he’s a bit daft (but also, attractive and street-smart).

I’d say I’m mostly disappointed in how much content they put out - it’s like 12 24 minute episodes a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

DaveKap posted:

He doesn't have quite the same experimental edge to him, though.

Wha? I mean in one angle of light maybe. But RJ movie have been a little experimental each with each new film. GR might have seemed like an auteur at one point but it all seems similar to his earlier worm by this point.

Can't say for sure that either came up with their style on their own of course there's a chance neither was the first to di it their way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DaveKap posted:

I feel like his style is so succinctly blatant that it doesn't make sense we don't have a replacement to supplant his work. Without being enough of a tv/movie nerd to watch more than the decent things decent people suggest, the only person I can think of trying to hit some similar notes is Rian Johnson. He doesn't have quite the same experimental edge to him, though.

Ryan Johnson doesn't have a film as good as Lock, Stock in him.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I've only seen maybe half an hour of YS total. But it's not as annoying as I found The Big Bang Theory.* And Sheldon seems to have far more social skills and empathy as a child?

Mokotow posted:

the child actors are super talented.

McKenna Grace elevates any role she plays. I've posted about this before but I'm waiting on baited breath until she's old enough to be cast as something other than middle school/high school/eventually college student.

*I have a specific grudge against TBBT because it soured my relations with a group of people I was working with at one point (who now all have doctorates). Someone asked what I think about it and I said it's marginally bearable popcorn watching but none of the characters are actually shown to be smart you're just told they are and it's kind of how not exceptionally intelligent people think exceptionally intelligent people are. They all got offended and to a one said it was their favourite how and things like 'You do know all the equations in the show are real right? Maybe you're just not smart enough to get the jokes.'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch are an incredible 1-2 punch of great British gangster/crime films and then the quality of his work goes bizarrely downhill from there, outside of the odd blips that are enjoyable if not anything as memorable as those first two. I really dug The Man From UNCLE and I liked the Sherlock Holmes films, but how much of that is down to enjoying Henry Cavill and Robert Downey Jr. and how much is down to Ritchie's actual writing/direction I couldn't say.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I actually thought it was RJ that did Man from U.N.C.L.E.. Huh. that becomes my favourte Ritchie film then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about The Blacklist is that one episode had Red get poisoned by drinking water and it got turned into a whole Covid conspiracy years later where that's actually happening and the show was trying to warn us, man. The writer for that episode eventually had to come out and say that no, it wasn't anything like that and the only reason they did it is because they were just throwing things out there to fill time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

They did a viral outbreak episode where people were contracting a deadly airborne virus because a computer virus learned how dna worked.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean it's not like some dude wrote a computer virus on some bones that when scanned infected the entire system.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I mean it's not like some dude wrote a computer virus on some bones that when scanned infected the entire system.

That episode was so bad it made me stop watching Bones. Like the guy wasn't allowed to have computers but he somehow was able to still hack systems with an old vacuum tube museum piece.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

That episode was so bad it made me stop watching Bones. Like the guy wasn't allowed to have computers but he somehow was able to still hack systems with an old vacuum tube museum piece.

I'm not sure what is worse, this or when that other fuckin show had two people use the same keyboard to "stop a hacker".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever a show or movie gets something ludicrously wrong about technology I have a bit of a crisis of consciousness where I'm like, does this mean every field of knowledge that any show or movie ever tries to deal with is equally as wrong as they are about computers? Or are computers somehow uniquely mysterious to writers and they'll never figure out how to write compellingly about them without being ridiculously inaccurate

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I'm not sure what is worse, this or when that other fuckin show had two people use the same keyboard to "stop a hacker".

This needs to be posted, always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Whenever a show or movie gets something ludicrously wrong about technology I have a bit of a crisis of consciousness where I'm like, does this mean every field of knowledge that any show or movie ever tries to deal with is equally as wrong as they are about computers? Or are computers somehow uniquely mysterious to writers and they'll never figure out how to write compellingly about them without being ridiculously inaccurate

That's one of the reasons I really like old school MacGyver. Before everything needed to be hacked.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ceaqtWhdnI

I never watched Numbers but I've seen it's "hacker" videos from time to time and always laugh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Best part of that first video is the visualization of the two sailboats meeting up in the open ocean to swap drugs and then pootle off in opposite directions

I guess that answers my question :lmao:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite part of the two people anti-hacking with a keyboard scene is that the heroic boomer who shows these young kids how to use COMMON SENSE solutions actually just unplugged the monitor and the hack is presumably still going on.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bright Bart posted:

Wha? I mean in one angle of light maybe. But RJ movie have been a little experimental each with each new film. GR might have seemed like an auteur at one point but it all seems similar to his earlier worm by this point.

Can't say for sure that either came up with their style on their own of course there's a chance neither was the first to di it their way.
When I say experimental edge I mean RJ never did anything that felt as slick as the opening of Snatch, which really put itself out there and could have been derided by audiences as much as it was praised.

But then I recall Last Jedi which I loved and yeah, maybe RJ does have it after all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

When I say experimental edge I mean RJ never did anything that felt as slick as the opening of Snatch, which really put itself out there and could have been derided by audiences as much as it was praised.

But then I recall Last Jedi which I loved and yeah, maybe RJ does have it after all.

Brick is a Johnson movie that’s much closer to Ritchie than Last Jedi of all things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Brick owns, and is a very solid murder mystery thing -- to the point where I sort of think that the criticism of the Knives Out films being for being such "poor" murder mysteries isn't sort of beside the point of what they're doing. IMO they're sort of just popcorn thrillers, they're not really intended as anything remotely cerebral and they're fun for being that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite part of the two people anti-hacking with a keyboard scene is that the heroic boomer who shows these young kids how to use COMMON SENSE solutions actually just unplugged the monitor and the hack is presumably still going on.

they could've gone the Gavin Belson route and cut the power to the whole building instead :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDk8BcqoR0

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

The same show also had him once discover a computer guiding a missile targeting something, and they couldn't stop it, so he shot the monitor. PROBLEM SOLVED! NCIS was really dumb about computers.

But nothing will ever top the computer code etched into bones on Bones mentioned earlier. Code etched into bones that when scanned caused a fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPNcrP_0umc

Classic.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 11, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It's fun trying to create scenarios where something similar could plausibly happen, though. Like, most modern phones auto-decode QR codes in camera mode, so you could in theory make a malicious QR code that exploits a badly written decoder, and infect someone that's just sweeping over the code, not even taking a photo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bones are full of viruses that's why I never eat them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been hearing good things about Manhunt, the limited series about the hunt for John Wilkes Booth after the assassination of Lincoln. Starts on the Ides of March, which is fitting since it stars Brutus.

Also wth:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is that Patton Oswalt as… Grant?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Facial hair game, we haven't seen anything like this since The Americans

https://twitter.com/MonicaBeletsky/status/1767219495880491177

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

zoux posted:

Starts on the Ides of March, which is fitting since it stars Brutus.

Also wth:

Yet no sign of Ciarán Hinds :colbert:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Oasx posted:

Yet no sign of Ciarán Hinds :colbert:

He'll be playing the role of the Ghost of James Garfield.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ninurta posted:

He'll be playing the role of the Ghost of James Garfield.

Sorry, all I can hear is Will Ferrell saying, "That's the Ghost of Stonewall Jackson!" from Anchorman 2.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Purely by chance, I stumbled into a video that somebody uploaded to YouTube of all the episodes of streets of San Francisco. I never realized just how closely Police Squad/ Naked Gun was based on this series and actually even the first half of the pilot.

The gag with the windows of an apartment being underwater comes I think from this episode, where a lawyers office has this weird and unnatural view of San Francisco Bay. I never really got this joke and naked gun, where they would always arrive with tires screeching and hit the garbage cans at the crime scene but it’s actually also here - for some reason whenever they arrive at the crime scene, they do it absurd aggressively, and with tire screeching and hitting the curbs. I think the police precinct in Police Squad was almost a 1:1 rendition of this one, not to mention Karl Malden playing the same character almost.

Oh and the mortuary scenes… the whole thing was lifted from just the pikot it seems.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mokotow posted:

Purely by chance, I stumbled into a video that somebody uploaded to YouTube of all the episodes of streets of San Francisco. I never realized just how closely Police Squad/ Naked Gun was based on this series and actually even the first half of the pilot.

Wait til you see Zero Hour and Airplane!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Kind of funny how Booth in this is played by Anthony Boyle who is also one of the leads on Masters of the Air. Someone at Apple must be a fan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Episode 3 of walking dead rick grimes is still good.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm really liking the amount of limited series we're getting. It's nice to know you'll see a complete story even if it's much shorter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

The book was excellent and a really good dive on how awful and dumb white supremacists really are.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Confusedslight posted:

I'm really liking the amount of limited series we're getting. It's nice to know you'll see a complete story even if it's much shorter.

Same. It really helps split the difference between short tv seasons and 3+ hour movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Brick owns, and is a very solid murder mystery thing -- to the point where I sort of think that the criticism of the Knives Out films being for being such "poor" murder mysteries isn't sort of beside the point of what they're doing. IMO they're sort of just popcorn thrillers, they're not really intended as anything remotely cerebral and they're fun for being that.

The Glasd Onion even straight up says that the murder mystery is dumb. The movies main point isn't about the mystery but about how evil and stupid rich people are.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Glass Onion was a bit too thinly made for that in my opinion. Everyone was a cartoon character.

Still a massive fan of Knives Out tho. Really helped that they centered it on a solidly characterized and heartfelt lead (not the detective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Glass Onion was a bit too thinly made for that in my opinion. Everyone was a cartoon character.
So is the real life characters it made fun of.