Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo.

Edit: oh, I need Homefront for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's not a TS2 port, it's a mod for the TS2 port hiding inside Homefront Revolution.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gonna need the address of whomever placed the land mines in dark forces

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

lol no, he would have posted about the start of level 3.

I'm in the crypt now. What was this supposed to be in reference to?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

khwarezm posted:

loving class, Pirate Doom is one of my favorite mods and I feel genuinely underrated when most people dismiss it as a joke wad with a fun gimmick that obscures how well its put together.
It even got an LP right here on these old forums recently.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:eyepop:

Gonna have to give this a shot!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm in the crypt now. What was this supposed to be in reference to?

When you get flooded with zombies at the start of mine town, after you get the drawbridge piece.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

When you get flooded with zombies at the start of mine town, after you get the drawbridge piece.

Oh yes, I had fun with that one.

I'm in the crypts now, haven't started, but I gotta say, while a ton of games do the audio log/found diary thing for exposition, for some reason, Cultic's is really, really effective for me. I think it was the blurb written by the guy you find on top of that tower or building by the road, who describes watching the cult when they "just showed up and fuckin' murdered the guy!", along with that one worker's letter to his mom, but also I had a dark laugh at "we're all gonna meet tonight, together, to finally get our severance pay. Attendance mandatory" note.

Anyway, this game sells its setting and vibe, through and through

I remember reading someone saying the game is a good blend between Blood and Resident Evil 4. I loved Blood (haven't played it in ages, but that game never leaves you) and RE4 is one of my favourite games of all-time, so I'll be buying Chapter 2 day one.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 10, 2024

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

It's not a TS2 port, it's a mod for the TS2 port hiding inside Homefront Revolution.

Yeah forgot to mention that but getting Homefront Revolution for dirt cheap is easy nowadays.

The other way is either emulation or play it on Xbox as it is backwards compatible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Timesplitters games are really easy to emulate. The GameCube version runs great.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Timesplitters games are really easy to emulate. The GameCube version runs great.

They run great on Series S :haw:

Edit: not doubleposting

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1766544737715044749?t=iM-KeLOgnsRL0DfXP0a8dQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1766613569746190570?t=ts2fSItp2Yc_vxnEzXGySg&s=19

Hahahaha

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 10, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The only reason to remaster Tekwar is to try and make Civvie have an aneurism.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

every level only makes my need to find out where the Dark Forces landmine guy lives stronger

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is there any way to use them to your advantage. I found out you can heal from the ones in ultrakill which was amusing to me for reasons I have a hard time articulating

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Oh yes, I had fun with that one.

I'm in the crypts now, haven't started, but I gotta say, while a ton of games do the audio log/found diary thing for exposition, for some reason, Cultic's is really, really effective for me. I think it was the blurb written by the guy you find on top of that tower or building by the road, who describes watching the cult when they "just showed up and fuckin' murdered the guy!", along with that one worker's letter to his mom, but also I had a dark laugh at "we're all gonna meet tonight, together, to finally get our severance pay. Attendance mandatory" note.

Anyway, this game sells its setting and vibe, through and through

I remember reading someone saying the game is a good blend between Blood and Resident Evil 4. I loved Blood (haven't played it in ages, but that game never leaves you) and RE4 is one of my favourite games of all-time, so I'll be buying Chapter 2 day one.

You may already be past the part where it matters, but one thing I didn't realize until subsequent playthroughs of Cultic is the rifle counts as 1-handed when holding the lighter. And you spin-cock it!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Crustashio posted:

And you spin-cock it!

Considering what happened to arnold when he tried that, confirmed for imbued?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lmao

Considering they got the MST3000 guys for System Shock, is it that much of a stretch?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kaiser has allergy to build engine so if this ever happens it's gonna be hilarious between him and Civvie

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crustashio posted:

You may already be past the part where it matters, but one thing I didn't realize until subsequent playthroughs of Cultic is the rifle counts as 1-handed when holding the lighter. And you spin-cock it!

Ooooh, thank you for this.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Convex posted:

Lmao

Considering they got the MST3000 guys for System Shock, is it that much of a stretch?

Mike Nelson did a podcast riffing on the first TekWar book, so they can probably get him back for it too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ponzicar posted:

Mike Nelson did a podcast riffing on the first TekWar book, so they can probably get him back for it too.

They should also have a little commentary box in the corner of the screen with Bill Shatner's reaction to the game as you play through it, a bit like the pratcam in Carmageddon. Every time you finish a level he recounts an anecdote about filming TJ Hooker or how he wasn't invited to Leonard Nimoy's funeral

also BLOOD: Fresh Supply is £2.49 on GOG right now, for anyone that doesn't like Steam: https://www.gog.com/en/game/blood_fresh_supply

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

They should also have a little commentary box in the corner of the screen with Bill Shatner's reaction to the game as you play through it, a bit like the pratcam in Carmageddon. Every time you finish a level he recounts an anecdote about filming TJ Hooker or how he wasn't invited to Leonard Nimoy's funeral

also BLOOD: Fresh Supply is £2.49 on GOG right now, for anyone that doesn't like Steam: https://www.gog.com/en/game/blood_fresh_supply

This is incorrect. Shatner was invited to Nimoy’s funeral. However, since Nimoy was Jewish it was on extremely short notice (burial has to be within 24h of death) and Shatner had a pre-existing commitment to host a charity event halfway across the world that he couldn’t get out of.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

This is incorrect. Shatner was invited to Nimoy’s funeral. However, since Nimoy was Jewish it was on extremely short notice (burial has to be within 24h of death) and Shatner had a pre-existing commitment to host a charity event halfway across the world that he couldn’t get out of.

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:perfect:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Amazing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

lmfao

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Guillermus posted:

Kaiser has allergy to build engine so if this ever happens it's gonna be hilarious between him and Civvie

anyone who has ever so much as glanced at the source code to the build engine spontaneously develops the same allergy actually

e: to quote Fabien Sanglard

quote:

Opening those files reveals something hostile to the eyes and the mind.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, the still-in-development Ken's Labyrinth 2 is even using the GZDoom engine. I mean, why not Build?

Well...

*tomcruiselaughing.jpg*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gotta say, this is pretty cool looking, even if I doubt it'll ever come out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCwIL-p7Oc

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Mordja posted:

Gotta say, this is pretty cool looking, even if I doubt it'll ever come out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCwIL-p7Oc

Looks kinda neat, definitely got some Metroid Prime vibes with that weapon model

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
By design, the moddb page mentions that it's gonna be a metroidvania
https://www.moddb.com/mods/isle-of-ascent

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This rules, I want all of life's lessons handled in this format

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

By design, the moddb page mentions that it's gonna be a metroidvania
https://www.moddb.com/mods/isle-of-ascent

That looks like one of those commercial Half Life 1 mods. It's just got that vibe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah, the still-in-development Ken's Labyrinth 2 is even using the GZDoom engine. I mean, why not Build?

Well...

*tomcruiselaughing.jpg*

cowardice

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

That looks like one of those commercial Half Life 1 mods. It's just got that vibe.

Definitely got Gunman Chronicles vibes when that big thing with the neck showed up.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Music is very HL1/HL2 also.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Voodoo Cafe posted:

anyone who has ever so much as glanced at the source code to the build engine spontaneously develops the same allergy actually

e: to quote Fabien Sanglard

Variable names such as globalx1 and globalx2 brought a grin to me, sounds like something I'd have done in those coding courses I took decades ago.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still playing Wrath. On Episode 3 now. At this point I think I can summarize the game accurately. It's more or less what I said already in Episode 2: great, interesting and varied level design, cool powerups, but mediocre bosses and the most important flaw, the enemy design is lacking. There are no versatile enemies like the Ogre, or the Knight, and there are barely interesting enemies like the Archvile or the Pain Elemental (just one, the shield bubble drone), used very sparingly. There are basically three types of enemies only:
-chaff enemies
-enemies with too fast rate of fire that turn themselves in immobile turrets the moment they see you, making up a combat that lacks dynamism.
-enemies that rush toward you at melee range (Widow, Executioner, Heretic when wounded) and you have to kill them fast or you will be killed in one second.

So all together, you have enemies that will stay in whatever position they are if they have line of sight, or enemies that rush to kill you and you have to kill them before they reach you. There is no middle point.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 12, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Turin Turambar posted:

Still playing Wrath. On Episode 3 now. At this point I think I can summarize the game accurately. It's more or less what I said already in Episode 2: great, interested and varied level design, cool powerups, but mediocre bosses and the most important flaw, the enemy design is lacking. There are no versatile enemies like the Ogre, or the Knight, and there are barely interesting enemies like the Archvile or the Pain Elemental (just one, the shield bubble drone), used very sparingly. There are basically three types of enemies only:
-chaff enemies
-enemies with too fast rate of fire that turn themselves in immobile turrets the moment they see you, making up a combat that lacks dynamism.
-enemies that rush toward you at melee range (Widow, Executioner, Heretic when wounded) and you have to kill them fast or you will be killed in one second.

So all together, you have enemies that will stay in whatever position they are if they have line of sight, or enemies that rush to kill you and you have to kill them before they reach you. There is no middle point.

This sums up my thoughts on WRATH pretty well. I'm also on Episode 3 now, and so far it's just been..."pretty good I guess". I can't see myself going back to replay it after I'm done though, unlike DUSK and Amid Evil.

I'm also more lukewarm on the level design compared to you. I'm just not finding most of these levels very memorable. I can tell they are technically well designed and the flow is pretty good, but visually and aesthetically a lot of them look very similar to the point where they all sort of just blend together.

Also, I'm not finding Episode 3's hub world fun to navigate.

Don't want to poo poo on the game too much though - the weapons do feel very good for the most part, and Episode 3 finally forces you to actually use all of your arsenal in a way that makes combat encounters more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Still playing Wrath. On Episode 3 now. At this point I think I can summarize the game accurately. It's more or less what I said already in Episode 2: great, interested and varied level design, cool powerups, but mediocre bosses and the most important flaw, the enemy design is lacking. There are no versatile enemies like the Ogre, or the Knight, and there are barely interesting enemies like the Archvile or the Pain Elemental (just one, the shield bubble drone), used very sparingly. There are basically three types of enemies only:
-chaff enemies

Pretty much. This is a problem given how the game seems to focus heavily on spawning enemies at mid to long range for the majority of incidental combat encounters. Plinking down trash with the coach gun, fang spitter or green goo isn't really engaging. The bigger threats can be instantly deleted in later episodes with a rail comboed into the alt fire of the crystaliser or the shotgun/lava gun depending on range. Even if monsters spawn in relatively close in the more enclosed environments, you can just circlejump / blade jump to the other side of the room near instantaneously. You can play at mid to long range like this in a conservative manner, blade dashing to reposition on demand and breeze through most of the game on hard & above being largely untouchable.

When you do eventually get hit, the damage swings are big and from what I can gather the damage received scales based on difficulty. It feels prickly in a way like playing against mid tier doom enemies without any armour. The executioner spawn doesn't have an obvious auditory cue and the charge is similarly muted. If one charges into the back of you, that's a potential instant death and there are a couple of encounters designed explicitly to ambush you from behind or the side at extremely close range. Widows can be dispatched easily with a blade charge but if you miss or only hit two out of three in a conga line, you're going to eat 20-60 damage instantly. They are probably the two most dangerous enemies in the game.

After experimenting with outlander for a bit, my biggest annoyance is getting instantly nailed by a projectile when dodging around a corner at close range against the big frog, coach gun wielding grunt or most dangerously of all, the metal fella with the slag cannon. These enemies seem to know when you're about to peek them and pre-fire accordingly. It disincentivises the kind of aggressive play and dancing around enemies you can do in Quake and makes me want to take much wider angles around obstacles and corners instead. On top of this, the slag cannon guy has an attack that predicts where the player is going to be, rather than firing at their current position (think of chton's lava balls in quake). If you're playing aggressively and try to get in their faces, you run a big risk of eating twin 50 damage projectiles before you can react and change course. Enemy projectiles are extremely fast in general, likely to help counterbalance the player's base speed and acceleration with the blade, which makes close range projectile dodging rough.

That said, it's a lovely game and one of the best of the revival era for me. The movement, artstyle and level construction is exemplary. Just a joy to explore and trick jump around. A few of the fights and set pieces are also really good in spite of my critique and I think with a few tweaks it could be really good.