Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

morningdrew posted:

They're so bad at this

Except "Biden can't remember when his son died!!" was plastered everywhere while this won't be noticed by anyone but the extremely plugged in. It worked exactly as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Stink Billyums posted:

lol now candace is "staking her reputation" on macron's wife being a man

Oh no, her reputation.

HappyHippo posted:

Except "Biden can't remember when his son died!!" was plastered everywhere while this won't be noticed by anyone but the extremely plugged in. It worked exactly as intended.

They've been trying to figure out a way to use his dead son to attack him for more than a decade.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Jeremor posted:

I dunno if it's common knowledge to everyone, but Citadel cadets largely suck rear end and make piece of poo poo humans after graduating from their pretend army roleplaying. They're very slightly less psycho than they used to be but it still sucks. It's just sanctioned hazing for an imaginary military.

This has been your south carolina bullshit minute

Totally agree. Just sarcastically running with their fake masculine mythology.

Edit: like how they imagine everyone in the military is republican and one of six characters from Predator.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nodelphi posted:

Also the coked up business men still exist, they’re not as happy about Trump as the hogs that go to Trump rallies but you better believe they’ll vote republican while hedging their bets on Biden winning so they come out on top no matter what.

What will be really interesting is if Trump loses, and I’d give it about 50/50 odds, but if he loses, how will the chud base handle it? Do they stay faithful to Trump and make him into a chud powerbroker for the next 5-15 years? Do they abandon him completely?

Gonna lol when his brain melts entirely and whatever stuff from the 70s he starts ranting about becomes the marching orders for the republicans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Gonna lol when his brain melts entirely and whatever stuff from the 70s he starts ranting about becomes the marching orders for the republicans.
More like the stuff from the 30s

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

redshirt posted:

Reagan never lost. Reagan had HUGE victories. Trump does not.

That’s the irony of it. They’ve tossed out the legacy of a guy who had broad appeal in his day for a guy who the majority of voters was never on board with.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Stink Billyums posted:

I'm the terrifying implications.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That’s the irony of it. They’ve tossed out the legacy of a guy who had broad appeal in his day for a guy who the majority of voters was never on board with.

Think of it less as "Overthrowing our former Idols" and more of "What Overlord do we bow to now?"

Don't forget, W worship has come and gone since the year 2000.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

Think of it less as "Overthrowing our former Idols" and more of "What Overlord do we bow to now?"

There was never any W worship at any meaningful scale. Come on now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm not sure of the history of it, but why do you guys functionally only have two parties anyway? Authoritarian right-wingers are a threat almost everywhere, but I feel if you guys had like 2 or 3 parties for crazies, then the adults could just get on with things without them threatening an Iran style revolution.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh no, her reputation.

They've been trying to figure out a way to use his dead son to attack him for more than a decade.

Well, I mean biology is impossibly hard for chuds with the book banning and all. Apparently they only know of immaculate conception and whatever weird poo poo they believe in, vs actual biology or things like Macron's wife has a daughter/is his stepdaughter.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not sure of the history of it, but why do you guys functionally only have two parties anyway?

FPTP voting heavily favors 2 party systems, tradition, there are other parties but they're tiny and as or more batshit than the Repubs, and finally systemic lock in favors D's & R's over anyone else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not sure of the history of it, but why do you guys functionally only have two parties anyway? Authoritarian right-wingers are a threat almost everywhere, but I feel if you guys had like 2 or 3 parties for crazies, then the adults could just get on with things without them threatening an Iran style revolution.

Winner takes all elections. You can have 3rd parties, and they have existed. It just becomes super dumb for one political block since you are essentially giving away an election with 34% of the vote.

The state of Maine elected a Trump prototype in 2010 in a legit 3 way race and he got 32% of the vote to win and then proceeded to wreck everything he could.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Well, I mean biology is impossibly hard for chuds with the book banning and all. Apparently they only know of immaculate conception and whatever weird poo poo they believe in, vs actual biology or things like Macron's wife has a daughter.

You can't fool them. They know what horrors modern science can do. They've seen Junior.

Edit: I said that as a drive-by joke, but on second thought, it's only a matter of time before some insane person actually uses Junior as an argument against IVF, isn't it?

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Stink Billyums posted:

"The implications here are terrifying."

Even in this batshit theory were true, what possible implications could there be?
:psyduck:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

redshirt posted:

W’s shine wore off almost immediately after his re-election. First he faceplanted with the “let’s privatize social security!” tour, then Katrina, then a bunch of other poo poo, and finally the entire economy free-falling in 2008.

Trump is a master con artist. He lost his re-election and instead of conceding and going away like a normal candidate/politician, he convinced his followers he was cheated. If he loses again, same poo poo, and they’ll never have to admit they were wrong. That’s very powerful, apparently, and the chuds are never going to let that go.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stink Billyums posted:

lol.

First of all, there's 0% chance this is the case.

But also who gives a poo poo. There are no terrifying implications.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Please stake your entire professional reputation on this. Please.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Aramis posted:

There was never any W worship at any meaningful scale. Come on now.

Bull-loving-poo poo. The dude was a golden god who could do no wrong from 9/11/01 to the summer of 2005. Living through that poo poo was hell.

I have a theory that a lot of millennials turning away from religion has a lot to do with the way religion tied itself to Bush-era politics. When Bush became fallible, so too did God.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Disco Pope posted:

Please stake your entire professional reputation on this. Please.

Can you really stake "zero" though?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

lol.

They have a whole mythology about how the childless will just let the White Race die so they can enjoy ethnic food and die alone with their cats instead of heroically engaging in the race war against whoever our eternal enemy is this week

I think they’re finally circling back to their old favorite though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"you're shaming me" = "i am ashamed"

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

mobby_6kl posted:

lol.

au contraire

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Aramis posted:

You can't fool them. They know what horrors modern science can do. They've seen Junior.

Edit: I said that as a drive-by joke, but on second thought, it's only a matter of time before some insane person actually uses Junior as an argument against IVF, isn't it?

Junior is a great argument against IVF, for contraceptives, for better schools. The list goes on.

Fake edit: oh, the movie, not Don. Sorry, disregard.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Stink Billyums posted:

what was she looking into? a can of paint thinner?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ralph Hurley posted:

In 08 soon after Obama was elected I saw a child sized mannequin in the window of an upscale clothing store wearing a denim jacket that had the HOPE poster image in sequins on the back with a ~$500 price tag. I wondered what kid would want to wear that but I figured people were still super stoked about Obama winning, enough for someone to want to design an extravagant jacket. Certainly there was never a whole industry of tacky Obamawear like there is with the MAGA poo poo.

This is some selective memory stuff, because I absolutely remember lots of people wearing Obama gear. I do live in the South so it was mostly POC wearing it, but it was everywhere for a while.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Bull-loving-poo poo. The dude was a golden god who could do no wrong from 9/11/01 to the summer of 2005. Living through that poo poo was hell.

I have a theory that a lot of millennials turning away from religion has a lot to do with the way religion tied itself to Bush-era politics. When Bush became fallible, so too did God.

Definitely not the way I remember it. W was only "worshipped" as the figurehead of the institution, but not personally like Reagan / Trump. If you want to stretch the analogy, he was a Prophet, not a Messiah.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah it got pretty ridiculous post 9/11 for a while. Never really got to the levels Trump has cultivated but he was still seen as pretty much above all legitimate criticism for a few years, I was in my early teens and remember even MAD magazine started pulling their punches, I distinctly recall the first issue with a bit making fun of W post 9/11 being prefaced with an editors note about how even though this bit makes fun of Bush's first year in office he has since proved to be a wise and competent leader and that was so off tone for MAD it's stuck in my head ever since.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

She won’t let it go

No one going to comment on how someone claiming to be "built for tough", she broke down and started crying foul over the smallest amount of pushback on her political actions?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

What a stupid gently caress she is, drat

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Didn't the transvestigation poo poo happen to Macron like... 3 years ago? I distinctly remember this coming up and being laughably stupid then, too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59753535

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Going to quote this cause that report that said Biden couldn’t remember when his son died caused absolute panic and doom in this thread. And as it turns out, like always, its bullshit. So, so, so many people tripped over themselves to doom post about it, and its bullshit.

Stop.falling.for.Republican.bullshit. No wonder the average American has issues with believing bullshit. Y’all know better and still fell for it!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

People are all aflutter because he messed up the year but they are idiots obv

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Totbot posted:

Going to quote this cause that report that said Biden couldn’t remember when his son died caused absolute panic and doom in this thread. And as it turns out, like always, its bullshit. So, so, so many people tripped over themselves to doom post about it, and its bullshit.

Stop.falling.for.Republican.bullshit. No wonder the average American has issues with believing bullshit. Y’all know better and still fell for it!

Didn’t help that Biden’s response to it was to hold a press conference where he mixed up Egypt with Mexico. :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Totbot posted:

I feel like there wasn't a ton of doom posting, really, mostly us saying the media was going to go nuts with it. Which they did.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Aramis posted:

They'll use it as an argument for anything that they can come up with. A transman giving birth such as https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/20/the-dad-who-gave-birth-pregnant-trans-freddy-mcconnell would literally break their brains if they could read.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Squiggle posted:

People are all aflutter because he messed up the year but they are idiots obv

He really didn't even get to answering the year:

quote:

“What month did Beau die? Oh God, May 30,” he said, naming the correct day, according to a transcript of the exchange reviewed by The Washington Post.

Two others in the room chimed in with the year, and Biden questioned, “Was it 2015 when he died?”

So to say "within several years" is just a flat lie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

kazil posted:

I feel like there wasn't a ton of doom posting, really, mostly us saying the media was going to go nuts with it. Which they did.
Many people are saying? Questions remain? Anyone near a diner??

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

republicans are brain damaged terrorists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

He really didn't even get to answering the year:

So to say "within several years" is just a flat lie.

I really hope these people die!