Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Piell posted:

No, the RNC is broke because all the money has been going to Trump directly, this is going to accelerate that, Trump is going to suck up all their money and leave none for anyone else.

I think Republicans who bend the knee *might* get a few pennies to run for reelection, but if you've ever spoken out against him or criticized him in any way, you're not getting a cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

zoux posted:

Hur's supposed to be testifying before House Judiciary today after resigning from the DoJ yesterday. I thought it was going to be another hit job but we have the transcript, what's he even going to try and say?

Also Merrick Garland needs to be gone immediately.

Whatever he wants presumably since he's now a private citizen.

Also getting rid of Garland would make Biden seem pretty incompetent (which is very true in this case) since he's the one who chose of his own accord to hire him.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 12, 2024

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Replace him in the second term.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

koolkal posted:

Whatever he wants presumably since he's now a private citizen.

Also getting rid of Garland would make Biden seem pretty incompetent (which is very true in this case) since he's the one who chose of his own accord to hire him.
yeah, he is gonna try to twist as hard as possible but now the dems have the actual transcript. holy gently caress, what a farce.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

koolkal posted:

Trump had fired like half of his entire cabinet by the time his term ended. But of course if Biden does it once it looks oh so awful for him

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Queering Wheel posted:

Trump had fired like half of his entire cabinet by the time his term ended. But of course if Biden does it once it looks oh so awful for him

I think the Hur thing and some leftist going as far as they are to cover for him really shows how far people are willing to go to "own the libs"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, he is gonna try to twist as hard as possible but now the dems have the actual transcript. holy gently caress, what a farce.

Ok, I will have a beer with Joe Biden.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I think the Hur thing and some leftist going as far as they are to cover for him really shows how far people are willing to go to "own the libs"

Probably worth quoting the post you're responding to rather than just make a vague comment about leftists.

Wouldn't want to disparage the citizens of China that way :-P

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The NYT isn't going to call Hur a liar, but it is kind of funny how they are trying to frame it while being objective:

quote:

A transcript of a special counsel’s hourslong interview of President Biden over his handling of classified files shows that on several occasions the president fumbled with dates and the sequence of events, while otherwise appearing clearheaded.

quote:

The transcript paints a more nuanced description that Hur's original report.

quote:

... seemingly diverges from Hur's assessment.

socialsecurity posted:

What leftists are still covering for Hur after today? I haven't seen anyone prominent doing it.

Also:

haveblue posted:

USPOL 2024: (Makes car sound)

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Jordan is extremely upset and angry over classified document mishandling. How dare a politician do this!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Probably worth quoting the post you're responding to rather than just make a vague comment about leftists.

Wouldn't want to disparage the citizens of China that way :-P

True I was trying to remember when the report first came out so I could go back especially to when several people were talking about how there was no way he was exaggerating Biden's mental state.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

New inflation report is out.

Inflation ticked up slightly - from 3.1% to 3.2%.

Driven primarily by:

- Gasoline
- Fuel oil
- Airline fares

All of which were over 3.5%.

Prices for car insurance, housing, tobacco products, and clothing also rose slightly above average, but at a much slower rate than all of the fuel/oil categories that drove the increase.

Housing rose at a slower rate, but still made up the largest single source of inflation.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/12/business/cpi-inflation-fed

quote:

Price hikes this month were dominated by the volatile energy sector — including the jump in airfares, which tend to rise with fuel costs. Food and housing rose more moderately but these prices still haven’t been coming down as quickly as consumers and the Fed would like.

quote:

The cost of shelter increased at a slower rate in February than it did the month before, but housing remained the largest component of the increase in the core of the Consumer Price Index, which excludes volatile food and energy prices.

quote:

Food inflation continued to moderate in February, providing some relief to consumers pinched by higher prices at the grocery store.

Overall, food prices were flat over the month, down from January, when prices rose 0.4 percent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 12, 2024

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Absolutely torn between

Debate & Discussion > USCE 2024: President Biden: (makes car noises)

and

Debate & Discussion > USCE 2024: You can tell it's old. I have my arm around Lindsey Graham.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Yiggy posted:

Wapo article reported they laid off like 60 people? I don't know what an RNC employee does, granted, but presumably someone has to email/phone call to purchase an ad and someone is coordinating placement. If all you're doing is wiring funds to cover legal costs, thats one thing, but presumably a normal party fundraising/campaigning arm needs staff for operations. I'm sure it'll be like the first trump campaign and the trump org in general: super lean, staffed with family, maximum graft.

There's vendor contacts, GOTY organization, election analysis

Now all being replaced with money-funneling. It's the most direct textbook example you'll get of competency annihilation

Good thing there isn't any major election coming up or anything

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Driven primarily by:

- Gasoline
- Fuel oil
- Airline fares

All of which were over 3.5%.

Prices for car insurance, housing, tobacco products, and clothing also rose slightly above average, but at a much slower rate than all of the fuel/oil categories that drove the increase.

Housing rose at a slower rate, but still made up the largest single source of inflation.

Here is the president's statement:
Statement from President Joe Biden on the February Consumer Price Index

www.whitehouse.gov - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 posted:

My top economic priority is lowering costs and today’s report shows we continue to make progress on that front. Inflation is down two-thirds from its peak and annual core inflation is the lowest since May 2021. Wages are rising faster than prices over the last year and since the pandemic. Prices for key household purchases like gas, milk, eggs, and appliances are lower than a year ago. Inflation is down while unemployment has remained below 4% for the longest stretch in more than 50 years.

But as I said in my State of the Union, we have more to do to lower costs and give the middle class a fair shot. The Budget I put forward yesterday would take on Big Pharma to lower prescription drug costs. It would lower rents by building or preserving two million homes. It would lower costs for health care, child care, and education. And it would cut taxes for hardworking families while making billionaires pay their fair share. Congressional Republicans have no plan to lower costs—their only plan is more tax giveaways for big corporations and the wealthy while cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. I won’t let them.

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Staluigi posted:

There's vendor contacts, GOTY organization, election analysis

Now all being replaced with money-funneling. It's the most direct textbook example you'll get of competency annihilation

Good thing there isn't any major election coming up or anything

RNC's in charge of Game Of The Year?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i keep hearing that housing costs are a trailing figure, but we're now a full year past the bulk of the rate hikes and i still have yet to hear good news

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i keep hearing that housing costs are a trailing figure, but we're now a full year past the bulk of the rate hikes and i still have yet to hear good news

Idk man how long does it take to build new houses.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is the weirdest part of the transcript I've found that doesn't seem to be getting any play in the media:

Also, kind of awkwardly (and kind of obviously), but he basically says that Beau was his favorite son.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Absolutely torn between

Debate & Discussion > USCE 2024: President Biden: (makes car noises)

and

Debate & Discussion > USCE 2024: You can tell it's old. I have my arm around Lindsey Graham.

i think car noises is funnier.

This is the weirdest part of the transcript I've found that doesn't seem to be getting any play in the media:

Also, kind of awkwardly (and kind of obviously), but he basically says that Beau was his favorite son.

Id be curious to know what the full context is, honestly reading them, it sounds like more then anything he has ADHD and he just kinda spews out everything he knows on the topic and then goes into journeys down memory lane.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think car noises is funnier.

Id be curious to know what the full context is, honestly reading them, it sounds like more then anything he has ADHD and he just kinda spews out everything he knows on the topic and then goes into journeys down memory lane.

The full context for that one is he is talking about how he didn't like being a lawyer initially in his career. He is describing a case he worked on where he felt that guy got screwed and didn't get what he deserved and that is why he decided to run for the Senate when he was 28 instead of sticking it out as a lawyer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The full context for that one is he is talking about how he didn't like being a lawyer initially in his career. He is describing a case he worked on where he felt that guy got screwed and didn't get what he deserved and that is why he decided to run for the Senate when he was 28 instead of sticking it out as a lawyer.

i mean yeah, that would do it. Some of these stories are genuinly interesting.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So... he's every old man ever?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think I know why Kristi Noem is considered a good match with Trump for a VP. They both have a strong nose for endorsement opportunities.

She is currently being paid to star in commercials for... a dentist's office in Texas and a grocery store in North Dakota for some reason? She is the governor of South Dakota and is sharing the commercials on her Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1767507172932366553

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 12, 2024

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

Also owning literal Mongols at archery

lol, and it seems to be real
https://bsky.app/profile/ryanlcooper.com/post/3knj2aanbzu2l

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao some big Texan dentist GOP donor probably tried to get Abbott. He refused but “hey Kristi might be interested let me shoot you her number.”

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Hur apparently agreed with Jim Jordan that Biden was being self-interested in holding on to classified documents so Biden could work on his memoirs and make money.

You'd think GOP people would appreciate that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The dentist commercial is being posted on the official Governor of South Dakota's twitter account as well as her personal account.

https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/1767392635944059202

The North Dakota grocery store ad is apparently just a print ad and not a commercial, but still pretty weird that she is doing ads for businesses outside of her state. I guess it is maybe ethically (and legally) better than being paid by businesses in her state?

It doesn't appear to be illegal, but it is very strange that she is doing it at all and blasting a commercial for a dentist in Texas on the official South Dakota government page.

Nate seems to have summed it up pretty well.

https://twitter.com/njhochman/status/1767415646436937855

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 12, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

So... he's every old man ever?

yeah basicaly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol, this is pretty good stuff. I don't even really care if he's sundowning there or just loving with the interviewer, it's good entertainment

USCE: risqué pictures of MY WIFE

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The dentist commercial is being posted on the official Governor of South Dakota's twitter account as well as her personal account.

https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/1767392635944059202

The North Dakota grocery store ad is apparently just a print ad and not a commercial, but still pretty weird that she is doing ads for businesses outside of her state. I guess it is maybe ethically (and legally) better than being paid by businesses in her state?

It doesn't appear to be illegal, but it is very strange that she is doing it at all and blasting a commercial for a dentist in Texas on the official South Dakota government page.

using an official government twitter account for personal benefit would be a no-no here in california. i think state law only calls for a fine worth some multiple of the monetary gain, but i'm surprised there's not something similar in south dakota

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shamelessly auditioning for Trump's VP spot by demonstrating base corruption.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Inglonias posted:

I have Liberty Mutual, and I remember they wanted me to put that in my car, so I said "okay".

Anyway, three months later, it shows up to my door and doesn't work, and when I call the insurance company they tell me the thing expired and that they're just going to take 10% off my rates.

I put one on my car and my daughter says she dreads when it beeps, so she drives very carefully. My insurance dropped over 10% thanks to that careful driving, so that's a win

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

*Thunk* Wilhelm scream

When exactly is the dog and pony show supposed to start?

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 12, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Barrel Cactaur posted:

*Thunk* Wilhelm scream

It's over I think, I saw very little about it on my TL so I guess it wasn't that explosive

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barrel Cactaur posted:

*Thunk* Wilhelm scream

It started an hour ago and is basically over. I'll summarize for you:

Every Democrat: What's up with this transcript? You smeared Joe Biden. Trump did way worse and Jack Smith followed DOJ regulations to not make any subjective commentary in his report.

Every Republican: Why didn't you charge Biden? Isn't Trump being persecuted because he is being charged and Biden isn't?

Hur to every question: That is my opinion. For the answer to your question, please see my report. I am a Republican, but I am not seeking a job with a future Republican administration. The report was my assessment and I think it was fair.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

"listen here jack, your city can either bend the knee to the Khanate and you will keep running your little dog or pony show under the auspisis of the great khan OR you refuse and we become a big loving deal".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It started an hour ago and is basically over. I'll summarize for you:

Every Democrat: What's up with this transcript? You smeared Joe Biden. Trump did way worse and Jack Smith followed DOJ regulations to not make any subjective commentary in his report.

Every Republican: Why didn't you charge Biden? Isn't Trump being persecuted because he is being charged and Biden isn't?

Hur to every question: That is my opinion. For the answer to your question, please see my report. I am a Republican, but I am not seeking a job with a future Republican administration. The report was my assessment and I think it was fair.

Why'd he resign from DoJ for this

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1767583284735660367

E: lol he's using the police shooting passive voice

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 12, 2024

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"listen here jack, your city can either bend the knee to the Khanate and you will keep running your little dog or pony show under the auspisis of the great khan OR you refuse and we become a big loving deal".
There's video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzR_oVAsXxQ

Joe starts shooting arrows at 0:38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FMguru posted:

There's video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzR_oVAsXxQ

Joe starts shooting arrows at 0:38

I want to visit mongolia someday. just to at least see some sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE
also mongolian metal rules.