Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aipsh posted:

So what exactly are we supposed to do with the chargers now?

Just shoot it in the face with anything explosive? Or are most explosive weapons still useless against it?

EAT the faces

EAT them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Breaker is still my favorite primary weapon even with the nerf. With a good midrange option like the auto cannon nothing else has the raw crowd control stopping power. Being able to unload two clips really fast into a bile spewer or 3 of those chainsaw dudes is so clutch.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Aipsh posted:

Just shoot it in the face with anything explosive? Or are most explosive weapons still useless against it?

EAT's/RR should be 1 hitting them directly to the face now, for better or for worse. Mechs are going to be virtually unstoppable on HD bug missions till we get new enemy types/another balancing pass, with how many EATs they get to shoot with basically no risk

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aipsh posted:

if you're using an eat or recoilless you can shoot it in the face and kill it. if you're using a mech rocket launcher then you still need to go for leg shots for reasons

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

johnny park posted:

Yeah the railgun just feels like a primary and it's boring. All the support weapons should be unwieldy but devastating. I want a railgun like the one Rusty fires in the worm mission in AC6

Tbh the HMG is my favorite support weapon for this reason. It's outclassed in AP by most other weapons, which is a lot of why you carry a support in the first place, but it feels *heavy*. Walking around while swinging the barrel back and forth at your hip and watching bugs evaporate has a very powerful feeling to it.

trizzNPH posted:

The butt pops within a mag and a half from the current post-nerf stock breaker, the hulk's heatsink pops in a magazine. the butt is very squishy and pops fast with explosives, yes, but acting like it's not a totally valid small arms target is silly and is spreading bad info to new players. There's no trap about it, it's what you shoot if for some reason you do not have EATs/RR on your team.

Imo it's more of a conveyance issue. Having a giant glowing bare spot on the rear end of an enemy is supposed to mean that its as soft as what is under the plated armor, when that isn't actually true. They don't have to mechanically change it but if they put a texture over it that made it look lightly armored compared to the rest of the body then it would help a lot. Otherwise there isn't really any reason to think that it's necessary to knock armor off, even if you do have the tools for the job. Why waste the ammo, the "weak spot" is right there!

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 12, 2024

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Aipsh posted:

Anyone tried the arc thrower on chargers yet? They used to go down in like 8-10 hits with best results on focusing the legs (which was hard). Now that the head is weaker the arc tended to hit that anyways so I'm hoping that'll be actually good at dropping them instead of just ok if you have nothing else!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

saw a guy pick up super samples and run off to use a 380mm barrage on a nest. the first salvo killed him.

why?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Trying the new tower mission was a mistake on Suicide - I have no loving clue what is happening. Turning on a battery tower seems to make the bugs go crazy and attack it, resetting its progress, and after 20 minutes I dipped because we weren't getting anywhere.

I just had an amazing series of pubbie mission where we were convinced we couldn't pull it off but finished by the skin of our teeth after the clock ran out. Would recommend bringkng stasis mortars and Tesla towers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Astrochicken posted:

saw a guy pick up super samples and run off to use a 380mm barrage on a nest. the first salvo killed him.

why?

Managed democracy gives us all the freedom to bring freedom to everyone else

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The counter sniper is such garbage, slightly more damage but smaller clip size than the DMR and aims like the loving autocannon. Ugh.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah lol, I was so hyped to unlock that only to find out it's the worst gun in the game by far. oh well

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I am going to teach players the value of the tesla turret on these termicide defense sections one way or another

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Man chargers just get btfo'd with Uber-EATs now and I've not seen any more than 4 at a time in a diff 7.

How's bots this patch?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Ravendas posted:

Next week: "Ahh gently caress the pesticide actually made them grow wings, flying bugs added to the game"

The NPCs have a couple of lines about the Terminid Control System reportedly causing mutations so I'd assume this game event is definitely going to see some new bug variants

My personal creation/demand is a Chalker. A stalker about 3x the size that has armor plates and runs as fast as the player.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Oh, hey they changed Liberation % to TCS Installation %

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

i think it'll quietly be helpful for new players

i know my (and everybody else in my group's) first reaction to encountering chargers was to shoot an EAT fruitlessly into it's skull

might also make the RR a more viable choice to bring vs bugs if you can reliably expect a quick shot to the front to kill, rather than needing to line up on the leg with follow up

Not a wrong first reaction considering the RR's demo video in the stratagem store features a helldiver one-shotting a charger head-on. If the intent was only to be cinematic it was pretty misleading.

I can't play until tonight to see how this tweak to chargers affects things, but I would have rather they made its giant red rear end weaker instead of its head. Echoing the people who got a chuckle from the patch's line about the charger's obvious weak point - especially when its rear end was the weak point in HD1. Besides having heavy armor, the narrower angle of vulnerability helped make the charger a fun and unique challenge. It's bewildering that they aren't just running that back for the sequel.

Edit: making them easier to kill and decreasing their frequency seems like two big changes when testing one would have been better. At least they're compensating with more bugs. That video posted with all the hunters looks metal as hell.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 12, 2024

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

trizzNPH posted:

The butt pops

Just out here poppin' butts like a total noob. Pop butts all day long.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

raverrn posted:

Oh, hey they changed Liberation % to TCS Installation %

Makes sense, after all once the TCS is running the planet will definetly become 100% bug free and stay that way forever :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dinosaurs! posted:

Not a wrong first reaction considering the RR's demo video in the stratagem store features a helldiver one-shotting a charger head-on. If the intent was only to be cinematic it was pretty misleading.

It kinda sucks from a gameplay angle but the promotional videos overselling the effectiveness of our equipment would be very in the spirit of the setting/magicka-ness.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

pugged most of the morning on suicide bugs and it's still tough. i don't think i had one group without leavers or even complete the objective. looking forward to playing more later with friends.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Musluk posted:

Man chargers just get btfo'd with Uber-EATs now and I've not seen any more than 4 at a time in a diff 7.

chargers were nerfed, but player skill received no updates as far as i can tell.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Icedude posted:

Makes sense, after all once the TCS is running the planet will definetly become 100% bug free and stay that way forever :)

This is what we all believe. Nothing could possiply go wrong.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Astrochicken posted:

chargers were nerfed, but player skill received no updates as far as i can tell.

people have just moved on to complaining about there being too many hunters.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The new mission:

It becomes 1000% easier when everyone on the team understands that even Helldivers shooting the tower damages it. Check your fire pubbies!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

My favorite is the 110 stratagem stating the rockets prioritize the strongest target followed by a demo video of it killing 3 raiders and leaving a devastator alive.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

turn off the TV posted:

people have just moved on to complaining about there being too many hunters.

i warned people who were excited last week when the devs said they were looking into a charger nerf, these devs never just change one thing if you get a nerf in one place there will be a counterbalance lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LazyMaybe posted:

I am going to teach players the value of the tesla turret on these termicide defense sections one way or another

It's especially good because it makes smaller bugs actually explode completely, which is the best part of bugs.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

ijyt posted:

Trying the new tower mission was a mistake on Suicide - I have no loving clue what is happening. Turning on a battery tower seems to make the bugs go crazy and attack it, resetting its progress, and after 20 minutes I dipped because we weren't getting anywhere.

I've been doing it on Suicide too, not really all that meaningful with no more than 10 common samples on the map but eh. If you can saturate enough mortars and EMS mortars near the tower it becomes loving unreachable by the bugs, same strategy as any of the "Exterminate" survival missions where you just kill incoming waves. I've been running an arc thrower too to deal with chargers and bile titans, plus if anything crowds around the base of a tower the chain lightning effect gives you some nice splash clear. You only have to defend the towers hard for a short duration each one at a time, so sentries and the orbital laser really shine.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've been doing it on Suicide too, not really all that meaningful with no more than 10 common samples on the map but eh. If you can saturate enough mortars and EMS mortars near the tower it becomes loving unreachable by the bugs, same strategy as any of the "Exterminate" survival missions where you just kill incoming waves. I've been running an arc thrower too to deal with chargers and bile titans, plus if anything crowds around the base of a tower the chain lightning effect gives you some nice splash clear. You only have to defend the towers hard for a short duration each one at a time, so sentries and the orbital laser really shine.

It's exterminate with the added complication of needing to actually protect the tower. I did it just fine with a pubbie group on my lunch hour, and that was with me having zero idea what the hell to do. It rewards being able to position in a way that keeps the bugs from actually reaching the tower in the first place.

So yeah, Tesla Towers and Mines work great.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

EAT the faces

EAT them

People who complain about railgun haven't used EAT. The thing is stupid and the cd is so so low for a support weapon. Love it!

Just not good for bile titans but 2 shots to the face + an orbital is usually enough.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don’t forget calling down the EAT itself can kill a charger or heavy if you stick the stratagem made to their face.

3 charger kills per minute!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t forget calling down the EAT itself can kill a charger or heavy if you stick the stratagem made to their face.

3 charger kills per minute!

I was trying it before this patch but my goal this cycle is to learn to do this reliably. When it works it feels so cool.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't know how people manage to do this, For me, 99 times out of 100 the strategem beacon just bounces off. In fact it feels like the only time I stick strat beacons onto enemies is purely by accident.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Live, Laugh, Liberate!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't know how people manage to do this, For me, 99 times out of 100 the strategem beacon just bounces off. In fact it feels like the only time I stick strat beacons onto enemies is purely by accident.

There's animations where it'll stick every time

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stratagems seem to bounce off armor.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pubbies can't figure out the new mechanics. Don't bother logging in for a few hours.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ulio posted:

Just not good for bile titans but 2 shots to the face + an orbital is usually enough.

EATs can one shot bile titans, or at least I'm pretty sure I've done it shooting them in the mouth while they are inhaling for their bile attack a few times now. Maybe they took damage and were weakened when I wasn't paying attention, but I don't think so?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I dunno how much was in Helldivers 1 but the Terminex missions have added some great plot lines to the crew of the ship. Apparently the bugs make element 710 which is literal spaceship fuel and this effort will send the bugs "back to the farms where they belong". So literally just dying for oil which is awesome.

Anyone who cannot see the satire here should not be allowed to make decisions in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way for me to aim and deploy a strategem without the need to throw it, for far away targets? The really explosive strategems keep on killing me because I can't seem to throw them accurately enough, I would much rather prefer designating the target with aim + keybind.