Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Apu Needs The Kwik-E-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I get back into Jupiter Hell for two days and have apparently summoned a new update. Looks like they added a new branch to Dante including a new optional final boss. Hoping that I can get through and see what it's all about. Sadly the game is criminally underrated. It's really come a long way since release and the updates have added a good amount of diversity.

I'm also going to shill a game that isn't really a roguelike, but the developer made One Step from Eden and iterated on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1664200/Duelists_of_Eden/

If anyone has played One Step From Eden it's exactly the same concept except the developer has turned it into a 1v1 fighting game. It's essentially Mega Man Battle Network the PvP game. Each character has some default weapons they start with and you have a deck that you can add different spells to. You move around a 4x4 grid slinging spells at each other trying not to get stunned into a combo as your brain slowly melts from trying to pay attention to movement so you don't get hit. Each spell costs some mana to use, and mana regens faster the closer you are to your front row.

So far it's really fun and only $5. I'd give it a recommend to anyone who enjoyed OSFE, Mega Man Battle Network, fighting games, and deckbuilders. I'm getting stomped quite a bit but the matches are fast enough that you can just jump back into another one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Wave posted:

Any more accomplished land gods around? I need some tech to get to 60%. Early on I pick monkey, toddler, mouse, cheese, shiny pebble over fish, bounty hunter, crab, anchor, dog, dwarf (usually), miner. This isn't all the commons but they're the ones I'm least confident about.

I'm at 19/109 wins so I am not the person to ask but I'd love to know.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Shiren 6: Picked up a wallpass bracelet and I think it might be the strongest item in the game. Every wall becomes a sanctuary scroll at the cost of a marginal amount of health per turn. A ton of scary situations suddenly become trivial. It does make log traps more dangerous but not by enough to be a problem.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Just tried the VR mod for Risk of Rain 2 and it's so cool. Worth a shot if you have a way to play it, it's very well-made and has lots of neat touches (ex. you can aim Commando's akimbo pistols in different directions, you can two-hand the Bandit's shotgun, etc.) Thought it would be a recipe for motion sickness but I think the general blockiness of the art style helps a lot -- though to be fair I didn't try any crazy grappling hook moves with Loader or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNzWI2sFKM

https://thunderstore.io/package/DrBibop/VRMod/

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, so I've played Shattered Pixel Dungeon to death, what's a good next game to try?

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

sean10mm posted:

OK, so I've played Shattered Pixel Dungeon to death, what's a good next game to try?

Brogue imo. It’s the cooler Pixel Dungeon.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I can't stop playing Path of Achra. It's everything I wanted Rift Wizard to be :allears:

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
I've just started getting into roguelikes but so far I've enjoyed ADOM and TOME the most

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Hey folks! The 7 Day Roguelike Challenge has just concluded, which if you aren't aware is an annual game jam for putting together a roguelike game in 7 days. Lots of entries to look through, all of which are hosted on itch.

My game is Rogue Vampire, a game of cat-and-mouse with the local population, lunging out of hiding places to attack and running away like a chicken when spotted.

If you can handle the rough hacky kind of game that comes from a jam, be sure to check the field out! Hope you have a good rig because mine is really badly optimised!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Just tried the VR mod for Risk of Rain 2 and it's so cool. Worth a shot if you have a way to play it, it's very well-made and has lots of neat touches (ex. you can aim Commando's akimbo pistols in different directions, you can two-hand the Bandit's shotgun, etc.) Thought it would be a recipe for motion sickness but I think the general blockiness of the art style helps a lot -- though to be fair I didn't try any crazy grappling hook moves with Loader or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNzWI2sFKM

https://thunderstore.io/package/DrBibop/VRMod/

Friend and I played this like a year or two ago and while it was a very unique experience we both thought it was needlessly difficult, esp on anything other than easy just due to all the projectiles that are coming from all angles that you can't see in first person.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I'm ok at Risk of Rain 2 but I agree my first impressions were that it was very tough, I had to drop it to easy too. I don't think RoR2 has any innate "cheat" mechanics going on in the background where offscreen enemies become less aggressive, which definitely makes things hard with limited view .

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
more shiren dungeons done:

training path of extra inference done - very easy. easier than the first inference dungeon honestly.

kiki island - an easier version of yamagakashi, but still fun. died to a turn 1 pot tap (it was a monster pot) and once in the middle floors due to being dumb. odd that it's placed relatively late in the discovery cycle since it seems like a warm-up for the harder no-items dungeons like yamagakashi.

dune of batsu - turns out going into this dungeon with a +30 weapon and shield, both loaded out the rear end with runes, makes it very easy. my weapon had 3-way attack, sometimes attack twice, sometimes knocks back, sometimes causes confusion, blindness, something else, and critted whenever my health ended on a 0 or 7. bashed everything to death. brought a pot full of 4 revival grasses and used none. was never really in danger.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/tiny_rogues/status/1767476173070541091

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

victrix posted:

yeah the tumblr adjacent semi nudes did not do it any favors early on, I don't think that's quite as front and center on the store page anymore. :itisatraumametaphor: might have been less common when it first came out

none of that matters though, Void is 100% pure distilled gameplay, and does for shooters something the japanese shmup devs should have done a few decades back, which is make the most approachable onramp I've ever seen to a genre famous for impenetrability - Void welcomes you in and teaches you what you need to know to improve, and it's fun while doing so, genuinely impressive stuff
I'm going to throw some poop here but I dont even classify TVRUHH as a shmup. Almost all of the most admired shmups (like the ~CAVE~ and ikaruga) are games with close to zero randomness and self-identified shmup fans enjoy playing the same exact levels over and over to memorize every enemy spawn placement and to put their ship in the place that they already know is the correct place because theyve played the level 100 times before. TVRUHH fundamentally does not let you do this which is why it is both not a shmup and is actually fun. TVRUHH won't get people into shmups because randomness/variation to the degree TVRUHH offers is anathema to the gameplay loop of what shmup players actually do. You're not going to go from the game with a thousand+ levels and stat+shot variation every run to playing crimzon clover stage 4 over and over dozens of times it's just a completely different thing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2024

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I was on your side in the "balatro is not a luck be a landlord" discussion but this really feels like you're splitting hairs

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't see it as an entry point into the shmup genre because I think the shmup genre is completely misunderstood/misconstrued. I personally think TVRUHH fixes and improves the shmup genre, but the shmup genre is full of games and players that don't think the genre needs fixing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I was on your side in the "balatro is not a luck be a landlord" discussion but this really feels like you're splitting hairs

it's the other way around, this is actually a way better point than that one lol

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Imagine someone saying:

"Most platformers have fixed level designs, and fans of the genre take great pride in memorizing level layouts and finding the optimal path through a level.

Spelunky has randomized level layouts.

Therefore, Spelunky is not a platformer."

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

No Wave posted:

I'm going to throw some poop here but I dont even classify TVRUHH as a shmup.

No Wave posted:

I don't see it as an entry point into the shmup genre because I think the shmup genre is completely misunderstood/misconstrued. I personally think TVRUHH fixes and improves the shmup genre, but the shmup genre is full of games and players that don't think the genre needs fixing.

I might be honing in on the wrong part of what you are saying here, but I think we can both classify it as a SHMUP because even while you are distancing it from the genre you are describing it as an improvement on that genre.

Tequila Bob posted:

Imagine someone saying:

"Most platformers have fixed level designs, and fans of the genre take great pride in memorizing level layouts and finding the optimal path through a level.

Yeah for real. I can appreciate the discussion of if The randomization is an improvement/necessary iteration, but I don't think it makes it a totally different genre.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tequila Bob posted:

Imagine someone saying:

I'm saying SHMUP is a much more loaded design term than it seems when you look at places that talk about shmups. I like 2D shooty ship games and I would prefer another word for that that allowed for SHMUP to be one part of it. The deterministic routing-intensive 1CC and time attack subset of the greater 2D shooty ship genre. Because thats the stuff that turns people off of shooty ship games but it's also the stuff that most self-identified shmup players play the games for.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 12, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

shmuplikes

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
None of these acronyms or words are real.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What do you do?
Jump between platforms?

It's a platformer.

It doesn't matter if the platforms are put by hand by a level designer or a by an algorithm.

Apply the same philosophy with the rest of genres.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Roki B posted:

None of these acronyms or words are real.
They're absolutely real. You can go to any SHMUP thread anywhere online and they will all recommend you the same exact two things, either CAVE or Crimzon Clover. Either SHMUP is describing some specific type of game beyond just "being a ship", or theyre all taking orders from someone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Genre classification derail? In the Roguelike thread?!? Well I never

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Due to linguistic drift you have to look for the "Traditional SHMUPlike" tag on steam, otherwise you just end up with a bunch of deckbuilder SHMUPlites

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
this is literally the evergreen Berlin interpretation derail but for shmups

there is certainly a type of shmup that relies heavily on pattern memorization, which seems to generally be popular with shmup enthusiasts, and since shmups are a relatively niche genre dominated by enthusiasts these tend to be very prominent within the genre, but I don't think anyone except you is actually pinning this as being a defining and necessary trait of shmups

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

Due to linguistic drift you have to look for the "Traditional SHMUPlike" tag on steam, otherwise you just end up with a bunch of deckbuilder SHMUPlites
I want this day to come, genuinely. Tiny Rogues is game with attacks that feel shmuppy while staying away from the shmup poop.

the holy poopacy posted:

this is literally the evergreen Berlin interpretation derail but for shmups

there is certainly a type of shmup that relies heavily on pattern memorization, which seems to generally be popular with shmup enthusiasts, and since shmups are a relatively niche genre dominated by enthusiasts these tend to be very prominent within the genre, but I don't think anyone except you is actually pinning this as being a defining and necessary trait of shmups
If someone says "I dont like shmups", what does it mean to you?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 12, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Out at lunch today I overheard at another table a rare conversation about roguelikes outside of the internet. A guy was gushing about his favorite, Risk of Rain. He went on a tangent about Dwarf Fortress too. Man after my own heart.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

No Wave posted:

They're absolutely real. You can go to any SHMUP thread anywhere online and they will all recommend you the same exact two things, either CAVE or Crimzon Clover. Either SHMUP is describing some specific type of game beyond just "being a ship", or theyre all taking orders from someone.

You're a schmup and the only ship I believe in is Theseus'.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

If someone said to me "I don't like roguelikes" in the early 2000s, at the time I would think that meant they don't like sprawling, highly lethal and random 10-20+ hour dungeon crawls with many obscure interactions. Either genres evolve, or you are discussing TVRUHH in entirely the wrong thread.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Genre classification derail? In the Roguelike thread?!? Well I never

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

No Wave posted:

I would probably assume that they dislike the whole "weave between bullets and explode if you mess up" style of gameplay.

I don't know, I've enjoyed TVUVEY, and I've enjoyed more traditional shmups like Zero Ranger or Rayforce or Ikaruga, and honestly I think the difference the randomization adds is not as big as you're implying. TUVUVH is still very much about learning boss patterns, and traditional shmups still require plenty of reaction and adaptation to do well at. I guess in a fixed game it's possible to map out a hypothetical optimum max score run and say "Okay, my goal is to play as close to this as possible" in a way that you can't in a randomized game, but in practice I find the difference between playing the two has been a lot smaller.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's the other way around, this is actually a way better point than that one lol

It still doesn’t really hold together, though. People keep recommending Cave games because they think Cave made the best shmups, not because they think other games aren’t shmups. (The Cave love was silly for a long time— you’d see people saying only Cave made good games in the genre— but it’s cooling down to a more sensible level in recent years.) The genre has always been understood even to contain games with health bars where you save after each level; most shmup fans don’t like these games and denigrate them as “euroshmups” but that name itself proves they still think of them as shmups. Many classic shmups randomized the order of stages and had them behave somewhat differently depending on when they were encountered.

No Wave is just mad that those games tested their character and found it wanting. It’s natural to lash out in a situation like that but it’s hardly admirable.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

nrook posted:

No Wave is just mad that those games tested their character and found it wanting. It’s natural to lash out in a situation like that but it’s hardly admirable.
Yes, I lack the character to enjoy stage memorization. So does almost everyone else and its why you all only play 15 year old games. This is why I would like to free Void Rains from your sick clutches (you guys dont even like the game).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
TVRUHH is one of the best games made in the past decade or so.

It does not deserve this discussion, it deserves a discussion where we all just say, good game

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

We should have a thread that is just for genre classification arguments. It'll be like our 5,000 pages thread

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Isn't that what this thread is, with the occasional announcement of a new roguelike/lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was wondering recently. In its structure as a roguelike, TVRUHH is what I might call a “cheevo game”; the player’s goal when playing is typically to pick up various achievements by engaging with the game in a variety of ways. This structure typically coincides with a bunch of metaprogression (so the game has something to reward you with for getting cheevos) but it doesn’t necessarily have to. What are some other roguelikes like this? Isaac is, right?