Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The signs are clearly there though that other Klingons think Worf is a loving weirdo. From the two eating dinner with him that are kind of poking fun at him to the guy at the end thats like "Yeah you could learn some poo poo from us". Klingons think Worf is a doofus.

Those guys were like Klingon MAGAs though, they were complaining about how things were so much better back in the day and wanted to steal the Enterprise's battle section and go blow up some foreigners aliens and restart the Klingon ethnostate.

CainFortea posted:

Also I think Bones is technically a worse doctor. He kept injecting himself with poo poo by accident.

You shoot yourself up with a psychosis-inducing overdose ONE TIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I like that Season 3 of Enterprise does Voyager's entire premise a million times better in just a single season lol.

Especially since the Delta quadrant lacks the Andorian Mining Consortium.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I would love Hertzler to do an Alexa or Siri voice lol

Alexa what are today's news headlines?

WAR IS MORE FUN WHEN YOU'RE WINNING!
DEFEAT MAKES MY WOUNDS ACHE!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I thought so. Overall Enterprise looks worse basically all the time, effects too.

That's my thinking. Some Enterprise sets and lighting look like something from the 60s. They really should have just left Star Trek alone at that point, they really were burnt out.

And that guy Mayweather, what a poor dude, I think he appeared in some episodes and literally didn't say anything, just looked intense while piloting the ship.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

And that guy Mayweather, what a poor dude, I think he appeared in some episodes and literally didn't say anything, just looked intense while piloting the ship.

I'll still take this over Tom Paris turning around and making a snarky comment to Janeway literally every time the view screen turned off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they got a pretty dude who can't act to save his life and then hardly ever had him take his shirt off. it was insane.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mirror Travis seemed like a better use of his talents.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mirror Travis seemed like a better use of his talents.

Mirror Travis was rad.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mirror kira living in my head.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Star Trek's greatest murderer not named Janeway getting an official toy:
https://www.masterreplicas.com/en-ca/products/star-trek-lower-desks-moopsy-plush-10inch

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The Last Call posted:

Star Trek's greatest murderer not named Janeway getting an official toy:
https://www.masterreplicas.com/en-ca/products/star-trek-lower-desks-moopsy-plush-10inch

I'll take 3.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Never watched Lower Desks but if it’s as good as Lower Decks I’ll give it a shot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lower Desks would be a great name for that Starfleet Academy show they've been wanting to do for 30 years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really wish we'd have gotten a mirror universe Data because I'm watching the episode where he decides to have a beard.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Wow, an evil version of Data.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

More like "Bore" am I right

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Wow, an evil version of Data.

Lore wasn't made to be evil. He just was.

I mean like a Data that was purposefully built for evil.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Data received all of his father's weakest genes while Lore received all of his father's strongest genes. A secret, third robot was made that had all of their father's genes. A perfect copy. This robot is the president of Earth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's never brought up again but Troi specifically points out that she feels emotions from Data during this episode. It doesn't make sense because he doesn't have an emotion chip but it does demonstrate that Data is possibly capable of evolving into having emotions.

This is all thrown away in later seasons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There are 12 soong type androids. There are many copies. And they have a plan

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lore as a compassionate and emotional freedom fighter vs data as a cold-blooded ends justify the means enforcer would have been a great mirror universe pairing.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Data is fully capable of emotions, but Lore still uses nickel-metal hydride batteries and Data's are Lithium :v:

E: also this, now I get it and want to see Mirror Data

Eeyo posted:

Lore as a compassionate and emotional freedom fighter vs data as a cold-blooded ends justify the means enforcer would have been a great mirror universe pairing.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 12, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Mirror Data should be like, the clankiest C-3PO meets Robbie the Robot pile of rusty wires and gears imaginable. And he already has emotions, but instead of being evil like Lore he’s just become the most degenerate hedonist possible. Just constant amounts of sex and creating avant-garde art.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

galagazombie posted:

Mirror Data should be like, the clankiest C-3PO meets Robbie the Robot pile of rusty wires and gears imaginable. And he already has emotions, but instead of being evil like Lore he’s just become the most degenerate hedonist possible. Just constant amounts of sex and creating avant-garde art.

Brent Spiner as a live action Hedonismbot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The emotion chip was such a terrible narrative device. Like the core of Data's perceived lack of humanity is his perceived lack of emotions and instead of like being an emergent property of intelligence or anything like that it's just his dad just hadn't installed any because his brother was such an rear end in a top hat. Like Data's entire narrative of wanting to be human was just because he didn't have a specific computer chip attached to his brain. Don't worry Data, being human isn't a state of mind or consciousness or demonstrated sapience, you just gotta glue this silicon to your brain and now you have emotional reactions, but also you can turn it on and off at any time because the writers are bored with it now.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Mirror Worf is father of the year.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Data actually placed the Hell chip in his brain and now suffers for eternity

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eeyo posted:

Yeah, Data would still be a dispassionate android on the journey to understanding humanity, but because it's mirror humanity he would be cultivating qualities like ruthlessness, duplicity and supremacism.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Outpost22 posted:

Mirror Worf is father of the year.

They dedicated an entire episode to infinite Worfs in infinite realities. Yet he wasn't a father in even a single one of them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

They dedicated an entire episode to infinite Worfs in infinite realities. Yet he wasn't a father in even a single one of them.

He was in the one where he was married to Troi, but he had kids with her and Alexander didn't exist.

:thunk:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

In the event of resistance they probably load Mirror Data into a torpedo tube and launch him at the enemy ship. He then years through the hull, yanks the head off everyone between him and the warp core, overloads it, and beams out.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mirror Data is probably a psycho because evil Soong didn't program him to get freaky like regular Data.

He's trying to find the horny chip.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghostlight posted:

The emotion chip was such a terrible narrative device. Like the core of Data's perceived lack of humanity is his perceived lack of emotions and instead of like being an emergent property of intelligence or anything like that it's just his dad just hadn't installed any because his brother was such an rear end in a top hat. Like Data's entire narrative of wanting to be human was just because he didn't have a specific computer chip attached to his brain. Don't worry Data, being human isn't a state of mind or consciousness or demonstrated sapience, you just gotta glue this silicon to your brain and now you have emotional reactions, but also you can turn it on and off at any time because the writers are bored with it now.

There's even that late season episode where he starts dreaming and while it's a little goofy it works well enough on its own to show his brain is still developing and unlocking new avenues to become more human. :unsmith:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mirror universe data has a negitronic brain

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they got a pretty dude who can't act to save his life and then hardly ever had him take his shirt off. it was insane.

They give Travis center-stage for an episode in season 2, and it's just a 45-minute-long answer to why he got so little to do on the show. Especially with a whole cast of legitimately-good guest stars doing their damndest to play off him and getting nothing back.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Lore wasn't made to be evil. He just was.

I mean like a Data that was purposefully built for evil.

MIrror Data was never built. There was a TNG mirror universe novel, Dark Mirror and Soong was killed in political purges before he created Data.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CainFortea posted:

MIrror Data was never built. There was a TNG mirror universe novel, Dark Mirror and Soong was killed in political purges before he created Data.

There's always more Soongs. They're like roaches, for every one you know about, there's another 25 hiding out on deserted planets and what not.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's always more Soongs. They're like roaches, for every one you know about, there's another 25 hiding out on deserted planets and what not.

It was explicitly called out in the novel. No Soong type androids at all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CainFortea posted:

It was explicitly called out in the novel. No Soong type androids at all.

If we're including novels in canon now, then hoo boy, there are some giant screaming oddities and contradictions to account for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

counterfeitsaint posted:

We should really be celebrating the Soongs' multigenerational health journey from a family of puffy old FORTRAN -programmer-looking dorks to svelte young blacksmiths