Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, that's probably how it'll work, isn't it? The Highwind is huge so you can't land it, you have to skydive from it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I'll be honest, the whole Whisper thing was super exciting at the end of Remake because you essentially beat a villain - canon itself. Yeah, they may have helped you but they also, you know, got Avalanche and a ton of sector 7 people killed. One of them even has a super gruesome death that's worse than anything any of them got in the OG. So them having these whispers save one and coming back in a different form doesn't make me too enthusiastic. The game has to make you really want to help something that got people you have an emotional attachment to killed for seemingly no reason other than "it's what happened in the original game." I just hope they don't go "well actually, we need to restore the status quo now" after all that.

It's the creeping fear I've had since chapter 9.

My understanding (that's also speculation) is that whispers/arbiters from Remake are Jenova-"infested" (from the Jenova head that fell into the lifestream when Cloud threw Sephiroth in - this "corruption" of the lifestream is the cause of the disease in Advent Children). It's why the arbiters share certain visual elements with Jenova, like the kinda webbed tissue and glowing eye. Sephiroth is also notably going against the whispers in Remake, while he now controls the black whispers. So both the black and white whispers definitely seem to be operating with different goals than the ones from Remake.

The main complication here is that it seems like, if the other timeline was created by industrial lifestream use, it shouldn't have just been created by the events of Remake (since Shrina had been using mako long before that). Then again, I don't think it's ever been confirmed that the other timeline didn't exist all along - maybe most of us have been wrongly assuming that the "Zack lives" timeline was created by Remake's events.

Who knows! It'll probably end up being something completely different and goofier than any of this.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

JBP posted:

I actually went lol during the scene where GLENN throws to Viceroy Sarruf.

"Who is this Sarruf!? An invisible man!?" Brilliant stuff.

The best part of that meeting is the surprisingly self aware Palmer jumping up and going "Of course theres a world wide anti-Shrinra movement, have you even SEEN us? Er, I mean... teehee..."

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

ImpAtom posted:

Look at Viceroy Sarruf's name very closely.

Yes, I'd worked that out. What I'm not sure of is what's going on with Glenn who is the general Yuffie mentioned, and at what point he died and was replaced by a Jenova clone or whatever is going on with him.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, that's probably how it'll work, isn't it? The Highwind is huge so you can't land it, you have to skydive from it instead.

I can see them doing a situation where it rarely lands more than it does lower down enough to drop the rope ladder and that's how you get on & off without them having to add much more land mass but that's infinitely more lame than just stealing the skydiving from TOTK

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skydiving from the Highwind is even an established thing already--it happens in the original! All the more reason

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah the biggest thing that's going to stick with me about Rebirth isn't actually specific to Final Fantasy VII. It's just that Rebirth, more than any recent FF game, has felt Final Fantasy as gently caress. Big explorable world, lots of variety in what you do and how you do it, heavy focus on character and charm, action combat system that still incorporates strong RPG elements and even a version of ATB, etc.

Rebirth is what I want a modern Final Fantasy to be.

Yeah I liked FF16 but FF17 should draw more from what Rebirth does I think. The difficulty really is creating a compelling setting and characters - Rebirth has the very strong original base to build on. I think 16 succeeded at this stuff for the most part but the game feels emptier.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The big dead zones in the regions could be great arenas for massive kaiju WEAPON fights.

Harrow posted:

Sometimes I remember FFX came out 23 years ago and I immediately turn to dust

Hmmm I should get my copy back from that dick that 'borrowed' it from me in high school... Oh god I turn 40 this year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lines posted:

Yeah I liked FF16 but FF17 should draw more from what Rebirth does I think. The difficulty really is creating a compelling setting and characters - Rebirth has the very strong original base to build on. I think 16 succeeded at this stuff for the most part but the game feels emptier.

I definitely agree.

With 16, I really do like its setting and characters, but I think what I was missing was a real party dynamic. If characters like Jill and Joshua had been full party members (rather than NPC companions you have no gameplay interaction with) I think they'd have had more opportunity to shine within the narrative, for example.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I definitely agree.

With 16, I really do like its setting and characters, but I think what I was missing was a real party dynamic. If characters like Jill and Joshua had been full party members (rather than NPC companions you have no gameplay interaction with) I think they'd have had more opportunity to shine within the narrative, for example.

Yes this is bang on. Could have had our lad Gav (the Gavster, Big Gav, Gav From The Toon) in there as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

My understanding (that's also speculation) is that whispers/arbiters from Remake are Jenova-"infested" (from the Jenova head that fell into the lifestream when Cloud threw Sephiroth in - this "corruption" of the lifestream is the cause of the disease in Advent Children). It's why the arbiters share certain visual elements with Jenova, like the kinda webbed tissue and glowing eye. Sephiroth is also notably going against the whispers in Remake, while he now controls the black whispers. So both the black and white whispers definitely seem to be operating with different goals than the ones from Remake.

The main complication here is that it seems like, if the other timeline was created by industrial lifestream use, it shouldn't have just been created by the events of Remake (since Shrina had been using mako long before that). Then again, I don't think it's ever been confirmed that the other timeline didn't exist all along - maybe most of us have been wrongly assuming that the "Zack lives" timeline was created by Remake's events.

Who knows! It'll probably end up being something completely different and goofier than any of this.

I'm all for the curveballs. I really like it when stories play with common visual tropes like black = evil; white = good. Shadowbringers does this to really good effect. That speculation is really good but it still doesn't explain why those arbiters themselves saved Biggs, but deemed it to interfere with Jesse and, especially Wedge. Or even help the team at all, since they're the ones who annihilate Jenova and Sephiroth the first time around. I'm very interested in seeing where things go from here on out. I'm sure I'll have more questions by the end of the game than I will answers and hopefully they're able to tie everything up nicely in the third game. I just hope they don't retread ground, is all. That's the least interesting thing they can do. I'm sure superfans who wanted a straight remake of 7 will like it but I certainly wouldn't.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Final Fantasy 7 (Yuffie) Recon (Patrol)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Perfect for the inevitable FF7R / Fortnite collab. Or did they already do one of those, I haven't been keeping track.

I'm starting to worry that at my pace I won't have the normal run done by the time DD2 is out. That's how much fuckin' content this game throws at you.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ror posted:

Bring back the dress sphere system!

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Ror posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

More like Final Fantasy 7: Retcon, am I right

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

If only FF8R was possible

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I played Remake on the PS4 and I am VERY MAD that this is PS5 only. Still, I have been looking for a reason to upgrade...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I'm all for the curveballs. I really like it when stories play with common visual tropes like black = evil; white = good. Shadowbringers does this to really good effect. That speculation is really good but it still doesn't explain why those arbiters themselves saved Biggs, but deemed it to interfere with Jesse and, especially Wedge. Or even help the team at all, since they're the ones who annihilate Jenova and Sephiroth the first time around. I'm very interested in seeing where things go from here on out. I'm sure I'll have more questions by the end of the game than I will answers and hopefully they're able to tie everything up nicely in the third game. I just hope they don't retread ground, is all. That's the least interesting thing they can do. I'm sure superfans who wanted a straight remake of 7 will like it but I certainly wouldn't.

Did the Arbiters/whispers save Biggs? We've only seen Biggs in the "other timeline," which seems to imply he's still dead in our timeline.

My interpretation is that the whispers were just trying to enforce the original sequence of events. Why they would do that isn't entirely clear to me - I guess you could argue that Jenova (manipulating the pre-Rebirth whispers according to my speculation) is playing a long game that requires the events of OG FF7, and IIRC bits of Jenova are still hanging around after Advent Children.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I played Remake on the PS4 and I am VERY MAD that this is PS5 only. Still, I have been looking for a reason to upgrade...

If you're already resolved to wait, just wait a bit more and get it on PC, assuming you have one.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Harrow posted:

I definitely agree.

They had something great with Cid and Clive’s banter, and then they just.. stop doing stuff like that with the other characters

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jill abso-loving-lutely needed more to do and I'm pretty sure nobody who played FF16 disagrees with that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

More would have been welcome, but I thought it was fine as it is. 16 is great and imo it did all the things it set out to do and did them well. There are things I like about it more than Rebirth, but the opposite is also true. If it were a choice of XVII being more like XVI or Rebirth I'd pick Rebirth, but in truth I would love to see a full turn based game style return.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I would kill for FF17 that's inspired by FF7R's combat but all the playable characters have jobs from past FF games (not inspired by jobs but literal jobs like Dragoon, Black Mage etc)

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I'd be surprised if we ever saw another mainline FF game that's turn based - they just don't seem interested at all in making that kind of game as a major release any more and haven't for a long time.

For me the combat in 7r is the ideal blend between the two, so as much as I love turn based I'm really happy with this and want to see it developed further it's just so good

lines
Aug 18, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I would kill for FF17 that's inspired by FF7R's combat but all the playable characters have jobs from past FF games (not inspired by jobs but literal jobs like Dragoon, Black Mage etc)

A job system-style thing, rather than the FF7-inspired materia setup here, would be interesting to see. It seems like a good basis to experiment on.

It's also very easy to imagine what a FF9 rework in a similar style could be like...

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I'd be surprised if we ever saw another mainline FF game that's turn based - they just don't seem interested at all in making that kind of game as a major release any more and haven't for a long time.

For me the combat in 7r is the ideal blend between the two, so as much as I love turn based I'm really happy with this and want to see it developed further it's just so good

I exclusively use the menu system for everything in combat, but after seeing some videos of people using the shortcut commands it really is an excellent blend of real time and menu based IMO. Using dodge commands from the menu is a little finicky, but Brumal Form on Yuffie (and I assume Cait Sith's dodge too) has a pretty generous invulnerability window.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FFXVI failed at more or less everything except general character vibes and the parts of the game where you press buttons in order to do things, and it turns out that that last one is kind of a big deal, so eventually you can just turn off the narrative critic part of your brain and concentrate on sick juggle combos (which I admittedly would like to be more varied) while staggering your cooldowns and occasional spectacular kaiju bullshit set to the hypest music composed (Stamp theme remix notwithstanding). It's a little monotonous but it's consistently good feeling and all the little questions like why doesn't Jill do anything, did everyone just forget about Terence, did Vivian ever impart a single piece of useful information, did they really set up a complex world full of moving borders and political machinations and basking in the subtext of casting off the legacy of the crystals just to sweep it all away and fight god while rejecting destiny, again, all just melt away. Trying to think about the narrative is a fool's errand. No thoughts. Only combos.

Anyway on the thread's topic, boy is Terror of the Deep spicy on Hard Mode. The mfer now bubbles two of your party at once while immediately following up with the command grab, so it's basically an automatic reset if you can't dodge the bubbles. On the other hand, if you dodge the bubbles and let him grab someone, he might as well just stagger himself at that point.

I think if I ever learn to use the defensive synergies I might actually become unstoppable? Mythril Golem got me using Barret and Red's Iron Defense and all the description says is "strong defensive stance" which in the typical Remake fashion tells you nothing of use but in practice it seemed to make them completely invincible to projectiles? And you could just hold it forever? Does anywhere online document what these abilities actually do and cover strategy for them? It seems like it's interesting and productive but the game is clearly not going to be any help.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does this game expect you to have a full materia load out for everyone at once? Just curious because it's always switching the active members around.

That is confusing me because the game seems to want you to control one main character and then give the other two active but uncontrolled characters all of the materia they need to do their loving jobs

Like auto cast, auto unique ability, etc etc

So yeah are you supposed to fill everyone out with materia or switch it based on the active people? Also why do I need to give my guys materia just so they'll loving do basic things, it's so weird

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Jill abso-loving-lutely needed more to do and I'm pretty sure nobody who played FF16 disagrees with that.

Y'know what my big disappointment with XVI was? It's petty, and I'll put it under spoilers in case anyone here hasn't played it: you're telling me we have a game where a guy who literally embodies Ifrit and a woman who literally embodies Shiva have a romantic relationship, and we never get an Ifrit + Shiva team-up Eikon fight? Huge missed opportunity

Taima posted:

Does this game expect you to have a full materia load out for everyone at once?

Just curious because it's always switching the members around.

It gives you enough materia to achieve that and you get AP for materia that characters have equipped even if they aren't in your party, so you might as well. I haven't found myself needing to fiddle with materia as much in Rebirth as I did in Remake because I feel like I have enough materia to just have everyone always have a decent setup.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Taima posted:

Does this game expect you to have a full materia load out for everyone at once?

Just curious because it's always switching the members around.

Pretty much, yeah. Characters who aren't in your active party will usually gain AP on their equipped materia in field encounters, so it's worth it for everyone to have complete loadouts.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

It gives you enough materia to achieve that and you get AP for materia that characters have equipped even if they aren't in your party, so you might as well. I haven't found myself needing to fiddle with materia as much in Rebirth as I did in Remake because I feel like I have enough materia to just have everyone always have a decent setup.

Sorry! I edited it with more context. It's really the "auto do stuff" materia I feel is kind of weird because I have nowhere near enough of them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, okay. Honestly I'm not really making much use of those, other than putting the Auto-Unique Ability materia on a couple of characters (Cloud's a good one for this unless you're controlling him constantly).

But I also still have the habit from Remake of switching characters really frequently, and I also use the R1+button synergy skills a lot so building ATB across the party isn't much of a concern. The only "auto-thing" materia I really like is Synergy because it gives you free spell casts constantly, for no MP or ATB.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You should also be regularly cycling between each member in combat, because manual control builds ATB way faster and you get a lot of bonuses for using R1 skills. Edit gently caress beaten.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Auto stuff materia can be cool and good but also sometimes it can gently caress you a little when it comes to doing a bunch of specific things at the same time during a stagger, so who's to say.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I've stayed away from things like Auto-Weapon Ability because generally I want to be in control of when and how ATB is spent, especially in the absence of something like the gambit system to offer passive direction to the AI. I'm sure they're reasonably smart about things but I'd still prefer to just control that kind of resource expenditure on my own.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

oooh I see! So everyone is controlling every character in micro. Man. I guess I'm just being a lazybones then!! Noted! haha

I had no idea it actively punished you for auto-playing characters in the sense that they generate less resources and such. That's good to know as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I feel like the auto-weapon/ability/cast synergy materia coupled with the synergy skills are a direct response to people not liking to constantly switching in Remake. The fact that you can build multiple characters' ATB bars while only controlling one character and also have them automatically do their thing means that it's easier to get away with only controlling one character all the time and never actually switching.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s not micro! Just swap to other people sometimes, just like in Remake.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hyper Inferno posted:

I feel like the auto-weapon/ability/cast synergy materia coupled with the synergy skills are a direct response to people not liking to constantly switching in Remake. The fact that you can build multiple characters' ATB bars while only controlling one character and also have them automatically do their thing means that it's easier to get away with only controlling one character all the time and never actually switching.

Honestly that's what I have been doing. I only control one character and give the other two Auto-cast Healing and auto everything materias, only switching for specific goals like having enough points for a synergy attack I want to use, or if I need a specific ability (this happens frequently with Aerith because she has a big toolbox)

SettingSun posted:

It’s not micro! Just swap to other people sometimes, just like in Remake.

Fair enough!

Everything has been super easy for me without switching but I assume that's just because this game is so easy on Normal. Would probably get absolutely Handled on Hard mode playing the way I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely think that works better in Rebirth than it would've in Remake.

Are you using synergy skills much (the R1+button ones, not the flashy synergy abilities you have to build up)? That'll also help build ATB with characters you're not directly controlling. You can definitely get away with switching a lot less often than in Remake if you want to set up for it.