Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
John C. Reilly seamlessly portrayed a 14 year old when he was 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If we actually get a Gústi the Strong tv show off the ground we plan to do one episode with flashbacks to his childhood where he is played by the same bearded and burly 29 year old actor except wearing a cap.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

End of Shoelace posted:

I don't know how you feel about Jojo but the D'arby the Gambler OVA is loving good by itself and free on YouTube. Watch it now!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/DoXR23BMAvU?si=a6BldEJNlxyz56on

Oh hell yeah. My girlfriend and I got severely Jojo-pilled last year because of the david production version, so I’ve been curious about watching the Stardust OVAs. Good to know at least some of it is on YouTube!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Do the Korean live action instead.

This was correct btw.

Watched (screened?) Dragon Ball: Evolution... yikes. On the one hand, the movie so aggressively disregards it's inspiration that it doesn't feel like an earnest adaption or tarnish the original in any way. And if you're going to gently caress up your adaption, it's always nice to do so swinging for the fences. Making Goku a high school(?) SoCal kid is so bewildering, as is the eventual high school(?) fight club he discovers in the hills(?). Starts out pretty strong so-bad-its-good, but unfortunately doesn't have enough set pieces or fights to be very memorable.

Piccolo looks like handsome Squidward. He also only meets Goku at the very end of the film, and is defeated in a terrible CGI power blast within like two minutes of that.

Next watched (screened?) the unofficial Taiwan Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins. Waaaaay better. So, so, so many fights. Goku is played by a middle aged woman. People spend what feels like half the movie on wires flying around. The bad guys all have tanks and machine guns and are all for gunning down our child heroes.

It's great! They take a lot of liberties with the story, but it doesn't feel too far from something Toriyama would write. Up on youtube for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqfQz5iNozE

Finally, screened (and watched!) the unofficial Korean one, Dragon Ball: Fight Son Goku, Win Son Goku.

Holy poo poo. Faithful to an absolute fault, this one rocked. They cram so. much. of the comics into two hours, and so. much. of the stuff that hasn't aged as well. Do they do the bath scene? You bet!

The costumes are horrible, but incredibly charming, like this horrid pig headpiece the Oolong actor has to wear and probably nearly drown in as they jet ski along:

Yamcha's cat is in this, and it's literally just a plush they stuck to his shoulder

Movie rules. It's two hours long, and goes on forever, but easily the best of the adaptions. There's even a few sequels to this, where they go way offscript and have Goku (still in this hair piece) run around with a machine gun as a detective solving crimes. There's a rip of one of those on youtube, but on letterbox'd only single digit people have logged seeing them, and no translation seems out there. Mysterious!

Also on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80byV5botdE

Anyway that's my review of the live action Dragon Ball triple feature.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

If we actually get a Gústi the Strong tv show off the ground we plan to do one episode with flashbacks to his childhood where he is played by the same bearded and burly 29 year old actor except wearing a cap.

That would be hilarious. Pls repost the link to the film.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jay Rust posted:

I didn’t realize the Oscars were last night. Grats to the winners!! Even if not everyone got to take home the gold, I hope they still had fun and maybe even learnt a thing or two about the magic of the movies!

I heard Godzilla minus 1 won for sfx, bout time a Godzilla was recognized

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

having watched no other adaptations, I can confidently say that the best live action dragon ball movie is future cops

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

distortion park posted:

How old can your actors get before you recast them for a prologue scene where they're in high school? According to the producers of Love at Second Sight/Mon Inconnue the answer is at least "late 30s"

Their deaging technology for this guy is limited to shaving his beard

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Blood Boils posted:

I heard Godzilla minus 1 won for sfx, bout time a Godzilla was recognized

Vfx

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have a dumb idiot brain.

Can someone explain to me what the message of Poor Things is?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

"I'm horny." - Yorgos Lanthimos

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

That we should be putting more money into human/goat brain transplantation research

There's a Poor Things thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051007&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

The patriarchy is bad to women hth

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mordiceius posted:

In Frankenstein, we face the shortcomings of mankind when they try to become God by creating man.

In Poor Things, we face the shortcomings of men when they try to become Men by creating Woman.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's not a great movie imo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

That would be hilarious. Pls repost the link to the film.

Here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQu4jN05IH4

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 11, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If a female friend texts me with a comment about how she’s pleased Olivia stone won the acting Oscar for poor things, what is a non-toxic way of correcting her

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jay Rust posted:

If a female friend texts me with a comment about how she’s pleased Olivia stone won the acting Oscar for poor things, what is a non-toxic way of correcting her

Ah that’s easy! Don’t. Judging acting is a subjective topic and all evidence points to it being a justified win in a tough race. Or did you think that the Oscars should give it to Lily Gladstone as a penance for American history? Which, of course, was the point of the ending and Hollywood doesn’t like having their true nature shown.

Also, it’s Emma Stone.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I would just refer to her as Emma in your response instead of explicitly correcting her and presumably your friend will realize her mistake.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jay Rust posted:

Respond:
Yeah, right on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

politely but firmly tell her that the only acceptable winner would’ve been Annette Bening as Nyan Cat

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jay Rust posted:

“It’s Emma you idiot”

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

politely but firmly tell her that the only acceptable winner would’ve been Annette Bening as Nyan Cat

I'm one margarita down at poolside and this made me physically snort.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Olivia Stone's JFK

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Massage Parlor Murders is not a good movie but “The best thing is not to be born. But who is as lucky as that?” Is a good line.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/designingfilm/status/1767236259272183868?s=46

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The glory of the jam, that Moebius is pretty good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:stare:

I had to do a double-take on that. That is... surprising.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had to check, hes on IMDb under “art department”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In Space, no one can hear you Jam

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I watched two hours of Wandering Eart II's three-hour runtime waiting for the Eart to Wander, and then it turns out it's a prequel. I'm not sure how to feel about this!!!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I bounced off Wandering Earth (1), I just wasn’t in the right headspace at the time, but I really want to watch it when I have the time.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I watched two hours of Wandering Eart II's three-hour runtime waiting for the Eart to Wander, and then it turns out it's a prequel. I'm not sure how to feel about this!!!

I was also pretty upset about this. I wanted Wandering Earth II: More Wandering, not Solo: A Wandering Earth Story!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wandering Earth II: Still Wanderin’

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Anonymous Robot posted:

I bounced off Wandering Earth (1), I just wasn’t in the right headspace at the time, but I really want to watch it when I have the time.

It might be worth it to watch Wandering Eart II before Wandering Earth because it's literally just a more-detailed backstory for how the Eart started wandering.

However, a major purpose of that extra detail is to retcon in the premise of a third movie (which I presume will be titled Wandering Ear III). And it looks like that one's not gonna be out until approximately 2028.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Wait so the earth actually wanders in wandering earth? Is it like a drunken wandering?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Ey - I'm wandering here!" - Dustin Earthman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a Long Earth movie series

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Wait so the earth actually wanders in wandering earth? Is it like a drunken wandering?

There's a whole arc.

The name for the Wandering Earth Project is initially just a weird choice of name, since they do have a set trajectory. However, it becomes ironically accurate in Wandering Earth I when the Earth starts to wander off course.

However, the name is then arguably revealed to be inaccurate again at the end of Part II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's Surf Dracula all over again.