Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

i still think ichiban kinda looks like eric andre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

ArfJason posted:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Everyone throws themselves at you and, if you avoid romance options, the guy who you speak to for respecs will start to chastise you for not loving

This sucked a lot. I liked how in ME1 Shepard is noteworthy because they did something noteworthy rather than just being the chosen one.

Except I guess then after the tutorial mission you get a Prothean signal beamed into your brain and become the chosen one.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

final fantasy tactics and xenoblade chronicles 1 are goated jrpgs for sure. I played it on an emulator in the early 2000s but Earthbound opened my head to what videogames could be like as well. my personal picks on the all timer list for their significance to me might also include FFX and Shining Force 1 even if they're not the best games ever

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think infinite wealth is my new favorite yak

0's the better game but the hanging out and saying stupid things part of yakuza is at its peak in 8

i don't know if i have a favourite. it's like having a favourite child. except if i had one it wouldn't be that weird little poo poo kiwami, no-one likes him.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Tosk posted:

final fantasy tactics and xenoblade chronicles 1 are goated jrpgs for sure. I played it on an emulator in the early 2000s but Earthbound opened my head to what videogames could be like as well. my personal picks on the all timer list for their significance to me might also include FFX and Shining Force 1 even if they're not the best games ever

fft is probably top 5 of all time. Idk if LUCT was as good because I never played it but even similar games like Arc: the lad 1-3 didn't compare

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

PYF Legend of Dragoons.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Xenoblade is one of those series I am never going to understand the love for. I bought the original at launch and tried four separate times to play it before it finally clicked for me, I got all the way to Mechonis and the twist where your sword is evil or something it's been like 10 years since I played it and I dropped it like a rock because I hadn't been enjoying the game since the Fallen Hand area. I tried playing XBCX and got about two hours in and took it back to GameStop the same day

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't know if i have a favourite. it's like having a favourite child. except if i had one it wouldn't be that weird little poo poo kiwami, no-one likes him.

My favorites are categorized differently tbh. Overall best is Kiwami 2, with 0 very close behind. Best combat is Gaiden, easily. Coolest conceptually - Ishin. Hardest I've cried at - Gaiden again

What a good series

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

Xenoblade is one of those series I am never going to understand the love for. I bought the original at launch and tried four separate times to play it before it finally clicked for me, I got all the way to Mechonis and the twist where your sword is evil or something it's been like 10 years since I played it and I dropped it like a rock because I hadn't been enjoying the game since the Fallen Hand area. I tried playing XBCX and got about two hours in and took it back to GameStop the same day

Xenoblade is like someone wrote lore about Yes album covers and that rules. The game part of 1 specifically is what I imagined an mmo was like at the time and I liked I could play it solo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Heath posted:

The original is dogshit terrible design compared to the Definitive Edition and its shocking it was popular at the time. It's success is largely due to being a big scale jrpg on the Wii when there were really no other competitors. It's built off the base of trying to make an MMO and honestly deserves to be played solely because it was a technological miracle pulled off on the Wii hardware.

XBXC is like, people love the music and some of the combat, but it's generously described as an unfinished single player MMO they just released hoping to add an ending.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I overall like Kiwami but I got stuck at the batting practice Maijima fight and it's hard to want to go back. It's just not fun at all to punch him twice then run away and repeat for 20 minutes--especially when his bat will extend out 20 feet and stunlock you when you thought you were far enough.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

xb1 (DE) just felt to me like it distilled many things I thought and enjoyed about jrpg into the quintessential jrpg format and pounded it into my brain for a hundred hours. It was also very much 'enough' for me and I haven't played the rest, although I've been meaning to since xb3 came out.

also I like Tactics Ogre but FFT definitely comes first in my heart. I played FF7 very early in life but FFX resonated with me more so that's my nostalgia pick

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

I overall like Kiwami but I got stuck at the batting practice Maijima fight and it's hard to want to go back. It's just not fun at all to punch him twice then run away and repeat for 20 minutes--especially when his bat will extend out 20 feet and stunlock you when you thought you were far enough.

I put early non remastered bullshit Yakuza boss fights on easy and I will never be sorry about it

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i played the mass effect trilogy before i was fully ACAB-pilled and so i thought renegade was super cool but i replayed it with the remaster and holy poo poo you're just a lovely cop

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

you should play the much better game about being a lovely cop, sleeping dogs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I put early non remastered bullshit Yakuza boss fights on easy and I will never be sorry about it

true wisdom I should follow... :amen:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

you should play the much better game about being a lovely cop, disco elysium

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

secret Jewish Haitian............

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lufia 2 should really be talked about more in best-of conversations, in addition to the stuff people said upthread it's got a great story, fleshed-out characters with great personalities and stories, the whole Capsule Monster thing, a straightforward but tight battle system, and killer music.

Also block puzzles! Who doesn't love block puzzles?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I agree Lufia 2 owns.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Cranappleberry posted:

fft is probably top 5 of all time. Idk if LUCT was as good because I never played it but even similar games like Arc: the lad 1-3 didn't compare
I thought Let Us Cling Together was way better, especially in terms of narrative. FFT is also great, I'm not knocking it- LUCT is just that good to me.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Orbs posted:

I thought Let Us Cling Together was way better, especially in terms of narrative. FFT is also great, I'm not knocking it- LUCT is just that good to me.

LUCT is my favorite tactics game. Both the PSP and new remastered version are excellent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tactics Ogre was fully loving sick as well. TO ran so that FFT could fly.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ArfJason posted:

this tracks because every battle in y7/iw is basically ichiban doing the eric andre intros on very confused bystanders.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Heath posted:

i hacvnt played 1 or x and i bounced off of 2 v hard but xbc3 is one of the best jrpgs ive ever played

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tactics Ogre was fully loving sick as well. TO ran so that FFT could fly.

march of the black queen was good but way too long. Idk about lordly caliber or knights of lodis.

Legend of dragoon was quite slow in battle and out. On an emulator much better.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ogre battle 64

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Heath posted:

It's reyn time, heath

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's reyn time, heath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHZF6NEjb8k

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ogre battle 64

if nintendo wasn't so litigious about emulation maybe Id play it right now

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Cranappleberry posted:

if nintendo wasn't so litigious about emulation maybe Id play it right now

Nintendo doesn’t really care unless you’re running the site?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
just move to russia and host the site there, dude

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Saved over my almost complete OB64 save by mistake when I was young and it was devastating. drat that game ruled. I guess i'm gonna have to play Unicorn Overlord

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

The Sinnerman quest line in Cyberpunk is wild.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Cranappleberry posted:

march of the black queen was good but way too long. Idk about lordly caliber or knights of lodis.

Legend of dragoon was quite slow in battle and out. On an emulator much better.
Lordly Caliber/64 is fantastic, one of the more underrated entries in the series it seems. I just replayed it last year and most of it still holds up (minus the hilariously bad Legion mechanics- why yes I would like to make all of my units weaker for no benefit other than looking big on the map, lol)

But by the end of the prologue, you've gone from a recent graduate of the nation's aristocrat military academy, to a rising star in its new peasant/slave revolt, and then it only rules harder from there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It feels like a quest that was written by a guy who broke into the CDPR office one day and they couldnt get him to leave

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
they added titty cards in witcher one so they could say it was a mature rpg

you gotta put a crucifiction in your future dystopia game if you want to be taken seriously

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenoblade kicks rear end. At least 1 and 2 do, I've had 3 for quite a while and haven't gotten around to it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

is that the jesus one