Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PriorMarcus posted:

The film features this spoiler heavily. They use the slim blowers to reverse the effects of the main villain. The main villain kills via fear itself, which visually presents itself as being frozen to death, but Egon sacrifices his afterlife to infuse his love for his family into the emotion slime and that love counteracts the fear so they spray everyone down with it and they unfreeze.

So, have you seen the movie, or.... how do you know this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

The film features this spoiler heavily. They use the slim blowers to reverse the effects of the main villain. The main villain kills via fear itself, which visually presents itself as being frozen to death, but Egon sacrifices his afterlife to infuse his love for his family into the emotion slime and that love counteracts the fear so they spray everyone down with it and they unfreeze.

God help us all

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

PriorMarcus posted:

Love to see my favorite comedy film turned into whatever the hell this is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On the one hand... huh?

But on the other, at least it sounds like they'll stop abusing a dead guy to act in their films. To answer the question posed on The Atlantic cover in the first movie's montage, Ghosts Do Not Have Rights, I guess.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, Egon was always my favourite as a kid and I was uncomfortable with his portrayal in afterlife tbh. But I did love all the references to stuff from the past, as much as that stuff annoys some people and they want original content etc... I do love a nostalgic walk down memory lane.

One of my favourite birthday gifts ever from my wife actually was her taking me to the Prince Charles Cinema in London's Leicester square to watch the original 14mm version of Ghostbusters and it was bloody amazing..

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The PCC is never a bad time, they do wonderful screenings and must be protected.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Love to see my favorite comedy film turned into whatever the hell this is.

Yeah. Whoever this is for, it's not me.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s been very weird to see Sony try to hammer Ghostbusters into this very earnest, schmaltzy kind of thing.

One thing you can say about the Wiig-McCarthy reboot was that it wasn’t trying to be something the original movie wasn’t.

I really think The Force Awakens created this idea that reviving an 80s franchise means you have to infuse it with “sad dad” energy to hit all the flabby 80s kids like me. It was a bad fit for Indiana Jones and it works even worse for Ghostbusters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

lol please be real

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want to order the Firehouse and trap popcorn buckets, but Regal Theatre's website apparently isn't available outside of the US.

Guess I'll give AMC a try for the trap on March 23rd.:shrug:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought Egon was ghost trapped in the previous movie and that was his send off?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Azubah posted:

I thought Egon was ghost trapped in the previous movie and that was his send off?

No they trapped Gozer then Egon waved at them and returned to his home planet (the afterlife)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I'm hoping that spoilered blurb isn't true because this looks intense as hell (for a GB movie)

https://twitter.com/MI_Ghostbusters/status/1766288208285892728?t=cgUDV0s2N1wpV8wI-Q4r9A&s=19

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Why do I have this feeling that there's going to be a Marvel-style 40 minute final showdown

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, I can't unsee/unlearn this.

https://twitter.com/GhostbustersNet/status/1766459749229351109?t=-UQNd6m_HSAB8hN_yn15yg&s=19

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Remember the movie was made in a year. It’s got all sorts of odd time shenanigans. Ray’s working on the still black Ecto-1 and then later that night, they’re having Chinese and get their first call.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Remember the movie was made in a year. It’s got all sorts of odd time shenanigans. Ray’s working on the still black Ecto-1 and then later that night, they’re having Chinese and get their first call.

Goddammit, I thought I already had reconciled with the weird time fuckups.

I guess I always assumed that their Chinese food was like a week or two later, and Peter is still going on about the only call they ever got.

Also, Egon seemingly toying with the neutrona wand at the table, and then literally an hour later, they're using them. I guess that one was going to be Winston's.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t think that scene took place that night. Even my kid brain assumed it was much later. They were out of petty cash and the firehouse is much more refined.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It just seems silly to raise a toast to your first customer two weeks after the fact.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah lol

Oh well. It was a good silly comedy movie so you don’t pay attention to that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It just seems silly to raise a toast to your first customer two weeks after the fact.

Absolutely, but if it's the moment you're running out of money, maybe that's why it happened. Last meal and all.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh yeah lol

Oh well. It was a good silly comedy movie so you don’t pay attention to that.

Absolutely true.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Is this legit? It sounds terrible

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It might seem crass now, but it’s gonna be epic when the other three actors die.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah we've discussed that previously ITT, my earlier conclusion was that there was a sneakily hidden time jump but it's edited together so well that the audience never realises

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They cheat a lot with the timeframe throughout the movie and hide it really well. The scene where they first meet Dana and then go on their first ghostbusting gig is a great example - when Dana walks in Ray is working on the Ecto-1 which is still an unpainted black hearse with no ghostbusting equipment on it, then they interview her about her Zuul incident and Peter goes to her apartment to check it out, then they cut back to the firehouse where they're sitting around eating Chinese takeaway and making a toast "To our first ..... and only .... customer" (as if the earlier scene only just happened) and suddenly they get the call from the Sedgewick Hotel and rush off in the fully repainted & decked out Ecto-1 with a full complement of proton packs & ghostbusting gear. There was a timeskip of at least a month hidden in there.

Sometimes they do they opposite and add a bunch of time into the middle of a scene and insert something else in there

Yeah the editors mixed everything up at some point, it's pretty obvious that the scene where Peter meets with Walter Peck happened immediately after the scene where Peter and Ray met Winston for the first time (it starts with Peter standing in the same spot wearing the same uniform with the same slime all over it and even smoking the same cigarette) but the scene where he meets with Dana outside the concert hall got slotted in between them

Editing magic!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It might seem crass now, but it’s gonna be epic when the other three actors die.

This made me laugh pretty hard.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s been very weird to see Sony try to hammer Ghostbusters into this very earnest, schmaltzy kind of thing.

One thing you can say about the Wiig-McCarthy reboot was that it wasn’t trying to be something the original movie wasn’t.

I really think The Force Awakens created this idea that reviving an 80s franchise means you have to infuse it with “sad dad” energy to hit all the flabby 80s kids like me. It was a bad fit for Indiana Jones and it works even worse for Ghostbusters.

The Funko dad and their vaguely interested kid (who is decked out in full costume) is a fixture of any nerd adjacent nostalgia property that you can see at any convention or but its especially egregious with Ghostbusters because it had such a vein of cynicism running through it. Even Ghostbusters II runs on the idea New Yorkers loving hate each others guts. And honestly, it made the cosmic horror elements feel super gloomy. You think New York is a scary and uncaring place, wait until you see Sumeria.

The cartoon was good in its own right, but didn't have quite the same mean streak.

I will LMAO if the spoilered plot elements are true.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Adam Savage tours the firehouse set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6S6Adu0s84

E: they changed the red stripes along Ecto-1's sides and extended them down along the bonnet, it looks wrong

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 12, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Adam Savage tours the firehouse set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6S6Adu0s84

E: they changed the red stripes along Ecto-1's sides and extended them down along the bonnet, it looks wrong

I actually kind of like this change. I noticed it in the trailer and it's a neat update to give this Ecto-1 a bit more personality.

Also if you're wondering why they spent so much time on the Firehouse set and why they filmed the majority of this in England it's because most of the film is a base-under-siege story.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh the Australian release date was supposed to be March 28 but has been brought forwards to the 21st. Looks like I'll get to see it next week after all!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jason Reitman said he wanted the firehouse to feel like The Royal Tenenbaums.

Sold.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jason Reitman said he wanted the firehouse to feel like The Royal Tenenbaums.

Sold.

The Royal Tenenbaums but with James Acaster in a staring role sounds like torture, but okay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I guess the premiere is tonight? Expect full on story details to be easily available everywhere in like an hour from now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Set tour of Ray's Occult Book Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKPU5Tmp3M

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Could have saved some money and filmed at Aykroyd's place.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
IGN just reviewed Frozen Empire 4/10.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Meh. I will wait for a patch.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hopefully it fixes the freezing issues

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've got tickets for a session pretty much exactly 12 hours from now so I'll be finding out for myself real soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Session is a good word to describe it.