Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Hope it's not a bad move by the Pack, but looks like one to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Supposing the story about requesting a 50% cut is accurate, Jones still ended up with a 42% pay cut while going to a team that's probably going to finish fourth in the division, and will be back on the market after the season.

As much as I liked them, Adams, Rodgers, and Jones doesn't seem to have much savvy for picking good teams to join.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Letting Jones go is a blunder, even if he's injured a lot and fumbles at extremely inopportune moments. The guy is the heart and soul of the team.

Yeah I agree, it feels like pinching pennies for no good reason. 8 million would've been more than what the market offered him, would've been in line with other RB contracts, and would've been more than manageable with the cap.

Packers currently have $33.4M in cap space after signing Jacobs/McKinney. I figure about 7M of that will be earmarked for the draft class, and Love's extension will take up a large chunk of the remaining space. So they can probably sign one more player in free agency, or extend someone else on the team?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jones is old for his position and increasingly injury prone, but he was probably the best player on the Packers when he was healthy last year and him getting healthy was probably a big reason their season turned around, but even besides all that, when a dude signs a team friendly deal in 2021, asking him to take a huge paycut, then cutting him pretty deep into the tampering period after a bunch of teams have already decided what they're doing at RB, severely limiting his options on finding a new team.

I dunno. Just seems like bad business to me. Not the kinda thing that's gonna endear you to players.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean he signed almost immediately so I think he got the tampering experience

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just thinking about how singing Jones compares to the Cook situation last season. Releasing Cook was a great move in hindsight.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dalvin-cook-released-by-vikings-pros-cons-of-minnesotas-decision-to-part-ways-with-star-rb-in-2023/

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Pretty high on that Jones deal. One year at 7mil for a #1 RB to pair with Chandler to get a real run game again is good. They moved on from Cook at apparently the exact right time and unfortunately Mattison wasn’t it so this fa scramble has been really nice. If they hit on a QB in the draft there might be a new contender for third in the division. Watch out Chicago.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

performance-wise, in theory, i get why they cut him. you'd rather release a guy a year early than a year late, especially if you figured the guy would want 2/22 or something like that. i have no idea what he was aiming for, but it does seem along those lines.

but it's surprising they couldn't see eye-to-eye on 1/7. if jones initially proposed 2/18, then gb probably countered with 2/11, then jones countered with something, blah blah blah. how do they not get to 1/7 from there? it must've never been proposed by either side, which suggests jones didn't want to be there and gb didn't want him , i think?

weird situation.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 12, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Andy Herman has been posting a ton of clips of the Raiders run blocking last season. A few:

I think Jacobs is gonna be a lot better this fall behind the Packers line.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

abelwingnut posted:

performance-wise, in theory, i get why they cut him. you'd rather release a guy a year early than a year late, especially if you figured the guy would want 2/22 or something like that. i have no idea what he was aiming for, but it does seem along those lines.

but it's surprising they couldn't see eye-to-eye on 1/7. if jones initially proposed 2/18, then gb probably countered with 2/11, then jones countered with something, blah blah blah. how do they not get to 1/7 from there? it must've never been proposed by either side, which suggests jones didn't want to be there and gb didn't want him , i think?

weird situation.

If reporting is to be correct they gave him an offer last week, he and his agent turned it down, so they said we're going to start looking elsewhere and released him on Monday rather than Wednesday to not leave Jones hanging if he were to get a better contract offer and to keep the door open if he reconsidered. It would have very likely been his last season in Green Bay had he signed and he was coming off of a season missing six games and playing only 1/3 of offensive snaps. Both Gutey and LaFleur indicated that it was an extremely difficult decision and were obviously complementary of both his play and personality.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Also they aren’t replacing Jones with Dillon, who is god drat awful unfortunately and was a major drag when Jones was out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://x.com/RapSheet/status/1767576635211993444

Gonna ball out with Kirk

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the ball is gonna come OUT of his hands at crucial moments, is more like it!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao between Getsy and Mooney right or wrong.

The league really doesn't think Justin Fields is H1M huh

I liked Mooney watching his tape. If he has a QB who wasn't constantly late he probably looks far better.

Also bad luck on some drops.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 12, 2024

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was waiting to sign until he was sure Fields wasn’t going to Atlanta

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/Justin_Rogers/status/1767566259036487899?s=20

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

KDdidit posted:

Was waiting to sign until he was sure Fields wasn’t going to Atlanta

You mean until he gets traded there after Cousins' knee implodes after week 2.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sure but you can do that with just about any team as well

Well we'll exclude the bears.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Supposing the story about requesting a 50% cut is accurate, Jones still ended up with a 42% pay cut while going to a team that's probably going to finish fourth in the division, and will be back on the market after the season.

As much as I liked them, Adams, Rodgers, and Jones doesn't seem to have much savvy for picking good teams to join.

As noted its not just the slight discrepancy in pay. It's the fact that after already being on a pretty friendly deal they ask him to take a massive reduction. Going to another team to make a tiny bit more to make a sliver more than the pay cut isn't the point. Its that he was asked to take a massive pay cut by the current team. Also it's the NFL and anything can happen. While I think the Packers are right now in the best position to do well long term there is no guarantee about anything ever in the NFL.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm really worried that Fields is going to be stuck on the Bears for most of the summer and they just hold on to him and wait for someone to lose a QB to injury and come calling. Would really suck for Justin.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

The league really doesn't think Justin Fields is H1M huh

The bears also didn't trade the first, I guess that means they got no offers and the league is out on Caleb Williams?
Wow.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

HootTheOwl posted:

The bears also didn't trade the first, I guess that means they got no offers and the league is out on Caleb Williams?
Wow.

A real Schrodinger's Bust.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ah yes those are the same thing.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I really can't wait until the draft. Hopefully Bears fans will have gone back to their regular brand of crazy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

Ah yes those are the same thing.

They really are, considering he did it last season which means Poles has traded more first overalls than he has Justin Fields.

Just assuming that no market exists because the assets weren't for sale

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/BenClapperton/status/1767448158970216896

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Happy Mooney got paid, honestly pretty shocked because his last year was so bad (but didn't really get a lot of opportunities) that he got so much.

The Bears need to find like...3 receivers now who can catch the ball

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I just want them to sign another starting caliber D-Lineman

Are they just sitting around waiting to see if Danielle Hunter will sign with them?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

The Glumslinger posted:

Are they just sitting around waiting to see if Danielle Hunter will sign with them?

Chicago Bears

Released: G Cody Whitehair
Released: S Eddie Jackson
Acquired via trade: G Ryan Bates
Re-signed: CB Jaylon Johnson (four years, $76M)
Signed: S Tarvarius Moore (TBD)
Re-signed: LS Patrick Scales (one year, $1.21M)
Signed: S Kevin Byard (two years, $15M)
Signed: RB D'Andre Swift (three years, $24M)
edit: Lost in FA: Mooney

Considering the amount of depth needed pretty much everywhere I sure wish they were spending their gobs of cap space on people. They're going to have a rookie QB they won't need to pay for years, only have 5 picks this year, and can just give everyone 4 year deals without any real problem! Argh.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Glumslinger posted:

I actually can't really imagine them being in on Hunter after that Burns contract. You're looking at like $50m on your starting DEs at that point which I feel like is too rich for Poles's blood. I've seen Josh Uche's name thrown around but I dunno if he has the size we're looking for in a 4-3 end. Beyond that your "solid starter"-level options are basically limited to Chase Young or Jadeveon Clowney. Maybe they wait out the upcoming wave of cuts and see what the market for someone like Joey Bosa is like? Who knows

Apparently they were in on Gabe Davis (lol), so they might be more willing to spend on a WR than I suspected. Then again, who are you going to spend that money on at this point...Hollywood Brown? Tyler Boyd? If you're OK paying a receiver, I'd rather go all the way and try for Ridley, and if he's too pricey I'd rather hunt for a better value than settle for one of the second-tier guys

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1767609415681659347?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

trevorreznik posted:

Chicago Bears

Released: G Cody Whitehair
Released: S Eddie Jackson
Acquired via trade: G Ryan Bates
Re-signed: CB Jaylon Johnson (four years, $76M)
Signed: S Tarvarius Moore (TBD)
Re-signed: LS Patrick Scales (one year, $1.21M)
Signed: S Kevin Byard (two years, $15M)
Signed: RB D'Andre Swift (three years, $24M)
edit: Lost in FA: Mooney

Considering the amount of depth needed pretty much everywhere I sure wish they were spending their gobs of cap space on people. They're going to have a rookie QB they won't need to pay for years, only have 5 picks this year, and can just give everyone 4 year deals without any real problem! Argh.

I hope they dont go hard in free agency. Just get the second tier players and guys who were cut by their teams so you get comp picks. With the Mooney contract, they are ahead of that calculus for next year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They need at least one receiver in FA and an Edge.

I would like Connor Williams at Center and Let Bates be the swing IOL and starter at center until Williams is healthy.

They can probably find another IOL in FA or draft for more depth.

Then in the draft they have less absolute needs.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
No clue who that dude is (Robertson)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would like the Bears to sign players at the positions they are weakest.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At a glance, Raiders fans seem upset about losing Robertson.

Unless there's something big like a trade for Snead shaping up, it seems like the Lions are eschewing making a big splash at CB and are just gonna try and bring in a bunch of guys (and I guess hoping Moseley's knees don't explode again) and try to make it work.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought Jones wanted to ring chase.

The Vikings are literally the worst team in the division for that

But first...REVENGE!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

They need at least one receiver in FA and an Edge.

I would like Connor Williams at Center and Let Bates be the swing IOL and starter at center until Williams is healthy.

They can probably find another IOL in FA or draft for more depth.

Then in the draft they have less absolute needs.

I agree, but wait until all the money has been spent and find value.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

MJeff posted:

At a glance, Raiders fans seem upset about losing Robertson.

Unless there's something big like a trade for Snead shaping up, it seems like the Lions are eschewing making a big splash at CB and are just gonna try and bring in a bunch of guys (and I guess hoping Moseley's knees don't explode again) and try to make it work.

I think fixing the dline will go a long way to helping the corners. Outside of hutch and McNeil the dline sucked at generating pressure.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Scipiotik posted:

I think fixing the dline will go a long way to helping the corners. Outside of hutch and McNeil the dline sucked at generating pressure.

Getting someone opposite Hutch is absolutely integral.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Give em credit, that pic is a good advertisement for the signing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Glenn could maybe not play man all the time as well if his corners still suck.