Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

indigi posted:

review bombing is fine I think but don't harass the poor weirdo

From what I'm gathering the author is attempting to doxx the people who gave bad reviews? There's alot of flinging poo poo back and forth with rallying cries of POC that is hella confusing and really similar to other disasters linked to current sci fantasy books. I'd love to find a thread that delved more into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As a POC I refuse to engage. Like not spending a single second rubbing my two braincells together about this.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

apparently the author had to leak the ending to stop the harassment and based on what people are saying about it I’m pretty sure the ending is “she realizes she’s been manipulated and kills him”

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

BONGHITZ posted:

just read the books

ya they're good

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

The fact that it's being sold as a physical published book on Barnes and Noble dot com and about a real historical war crime team are what's attracting attention here; if it were just a fanfic about the Avatar Fire Nation or whatever nobody would bat an eye.

loquacius posted:

Being from real history makes a difference too. This kind of poo poo happens in fantastical settings all the time and nobody really notices

i think you must have only skimmed the tweets because it actually is set in some made up fantasy world

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

i think you must have only skimmed the tweets because it actually is set in some made up fantasy world

I only read the post, I didn't click through. Is it like an alternate history deal or what

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I disagree with the notion that a woman of Chinese descent writing it makes it NOT a "colonizer romance" if it would be considered that had a white woman wrote it. It's just more uncomfortable to think about the colonized party being the one doing the fantasizing.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ghoulcowboyy/status/1766506892098965630?t=F4zDg7YAOd-kwCdx2NAPGA&s=19

The book is about a Chinese woman who falls in love with a member of Unit 731

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

apparently the author had to leak the ending to stop the harassment and based on what people are saying about it I’m pretty sure the ending is “she realizes she’s been manipulated and kills him”

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

just read the books

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't have to read a book to be mad about it!!!!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

indigi posted:

I don't have to read a book to be mad about it!!!!

Impressive...

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The regime continues to be meh. Its a shame. All the ingredients are there but they just dont go together.
In 2024 you really need to present something a little sharper than "those funny slavs and their barbarous ways".
At least Kate Winslet continues to be amazing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

we actually cant read this book because its not going to be out for a month and maybe it never will be at this rate

wait the controversy is that its being review bombed but it has 3.6 out of 5 on goodreads? that doesnt really sound so awful

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Book people are insano in the braino

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Book people are insano in the braino

a lot of people have the impression that reading books makes you smarter but that only works if you're reading things that challenge you and make you think, not if you're reading the 10,000th variation on the same genre slop you've been consuming your entire life

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Is this a real thing that happened or a subculture of like 50 people having a fight?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is this a real thing that happened or a subculture of like 50 people having a fight?

those are not mutually exclusive

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gotcha, a small corner of internet weirdos and will never impact anything important or really anything at all. Hope they enjoy the book about poo poo that didn't happen. Or hate it or whatever is the correct virtue to signal

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gotcha, a small corner of internet weirdos and will never impact anything important

turn on your monitor

ok now click away from the forums

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
poo poo-that-didn't-happen.txt evolving into its next stage - "that didn't happen to enough people to be considered real"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

poo poo-that-didn't-happen.txt

It's called fiction moron

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
guess you're not familiar with that phrase, but there's no need to be a jerk

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm gonna say what I say every time: Something Awful is a website for making fun of Internet stuff

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Shageletic posted:

On Cinema seems like an intimidatingly hard show to get into. Are all the eps on YouTube? Are there alot of them? So I need to watch anything else to understand what's going on?

I just started with the Oscar Specials. 4-6 being the highlights. all on youtube.

the review series are good background noise and add bonus context beyond Tim hating movies and Gregg liking them for the wrong reasons

Durf has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Mar 12, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'm gonna say what I say every time: Something Awful is a website for making fun of Internet stuff

right and thats why the front page collapsed nothing about the internet is funny anymore

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shageletic posted:

On Cinema seems like an intimidatingly hard show to get into. Are all the eps on YouTube? Are there alot of them? So I need to watch anything else to understand what's going on?

It's not intimidatingly hard in that it's really funny, and you can get most of the jokes without being obsessive about it. That said, the continuity is pretty extreme. This video is merely a recap for the first seven seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj7VEcSjdXU

Here is another sorta recap video, but it's mostly just a video essay about the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mtoawnUsL0

Everything through the 2020 Oscars Special is on Youtube. After that, it's paywalled to the HeiNetwork for $55 a year. This is because Adult Swim cancelled the web series, so Tim has independently operated it since. It's probably the funniest current show, and the Oscar specials are incredible productions because they're live and hilarious.

A particularly interesting thing about the show is that the continuity branches across various mediums, such as social media posts that are in character, a literal TV show on Adult Swim that stars Tim and Gregg as "Tim and Gregg" playing their characters on the show, and a mockumentary, Mister America which was released in theaters. Another aspect is Tim and Gregg's cameos in the 2015 Fantastic Four, and the three Ant-Mans are also the characters of Tim and Gregg playing their movie characters.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nichael posted:

It's not intimidatingly hard in that it's really funny, and you can get most of the jokes without being obsessive about it. That said, the continuity is pretty extreme. This video is merely a recap for the first seven seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj7VEcSjdXU

Everything through the 2020 Oscars Special is on Youtube. After that, it's paywalled to the HeiNetwork for $55 a year. This is because Adult Swim cancelled the web series, so Tim has independently operated it since. It's probably the funniest current show, and the Oscar specials are incredible productions because they're live and hilarious.

and it proves, without a doubt, that Eric Wareheim was the weak link in that duo

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

right and thats why the front page collapsed nothing about the internet is funny anymore

SA has a front page?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Durf posted:

I just started with the Oscar Specials. 4-6 being the highlights. all on youtube.

the review series are good background noise and add bonus context beyond Tim hating movies and Gregg liking them for the wrong reasons

Stuff like this is immediately funny without knowing the lore. Tim burns himself alive, while committing his third or fourth arson. It's insane. It's also all within the context of a movie review show that has completely gone off the rails, and gives out "five bag of popcorn" reviews 99% of the time.

Except of course for the first Ant-Man, which got zero bags of popcorn because Tim was upset Gregg was in it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I watched the entirety of the Electric Sun Desert Music Festival Trial on youtube in like 30 minute chunks before bed without knowing anything and it was hilarious

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*hucks manuscript for "Pegged on the Plantation: a modern love story by Buck B. Rakin" into the trash*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I watched the entirety of the Electric Sun Desert Music Festival Trial on youtube in like 30 minute chunks before bed without knowing anything and it was hilarious

I got a third through Poor Things before bed last night without knowing a single thing about it beforehand and hoo buddy,

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

I got a third through Poor Things before bed last night without knowing a single thing about it beforehand and hoo buddy,

the reveal about 15 minutes in of what Willam Dafoe's character actually did to Bella made me laugh hard enough that I was on board for the rest of the film

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

and it proves, without a doubt, that Eric Wareheim was the weak link in that duo

i think Eric's strengths are more behind the camera than in front of it, but its the interplay of their styles that makes their collaborations interesting - theyre transformative of one another as opposed to additive

man ive thought about that too much over the last couple decades huh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

i think Eric's strengths are more behind the camera than in front of it, but its the interplay of their styles that makes their collaborations interesting - theyre transformative of one another as opposed to additive

man ive thought about that too much over the last couple decades huh

I don't disagree but I still think Tim is a much, much stronger performer than Eric. I mean they probably know it too because the loser Tom is the more difficult character to play compared to the bombastic, over the top Mayor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the reveal about 15 minutes in of what Willam Dafoe's character actually did to Bella made me laugh hard enough that I was on board for the rest of the film

it's genuinely funny, I'm shocked at the comedic pacing

I didn't even know dafoe was in it so I'm having a good time

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

it's genuinely funny, I'm shocked at the comedic pacing

the pacing is legit excellent i think the only thing a person really should know about poor things before watching is that its divided into five distinct acts the second through fifth of which all have title cards so if you want a break it doesnt take that long to get to the next one

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

galagazombie posted:

SA has a front page?

it literally doesn't anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't disagree but I still think Tim is a much, much stronger performer than Eric. I mean they probably know it too because the loser Tom is the more difficult character to play compared to the bombastic, over the top Mayor.

yeah but only Eric played bass for Ink & Dagger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l4Yv6NDhM