Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, and you need to kill two rune bearers to unlock the golden city so in theory if you just sprint to altus, that'll unlock the radahn festival and along the way I think varre should move to his church where you can do his quest to go join the mogwyn dynasty.

Varre wants a great rune to prove Ive got the stuff, so no way to get to my blood soaked buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i believe youll have to kill mohg and radahn to enter the dlc anyway so the minimum path is probably sprint around stormveil, through liurnia and up to altus, activating radahn festival -> kill radahn, opening two finger room and triggering varre’s move to liurnia -> complete varre quest and warp to mohg

this path has only three mandatory bosses and two of them are required to enter the dlc anyway, the third being magma wyrm makar who i doubt will have new dialogue after the dlc.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

scary ghost dog posted:

i believe youll have to kill mohg and radahn to enter the dlc anyway so the minimum path is probably sprint around stormveil, through liurnia and up to altus, activating radahn festival -> kill radahn, opening two finger room and triggering varre’s move to liurnia -> complete varre quest and warp to mohg

this path has only three mandatory bosses and two of them are required to enter the dlc anyway, the third being magma wyrm makar who i doubt will have new dialogue after the dlc.

You can grab the medallion halves and use the grand lift to get to Altus. It's how I usually do it. That makes it two bosses, the shardbearers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why would you need to kill Makar? Just take the lift.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I thought you someone had said that the DLC basically wasn't going to touch the base game.

I really doubt any of the bosses will have any changed dialog with the possible exception of Mohg.

The only other boss with any connection to Miquella is Malenia, and she's unconscious until you arrive.

I guess maybe you can show up with some "Miquella's Unalloyed Gold Star" form shaving them Shadowlands or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the two halves of the lift token are an absolute cinch to get and dont have bosses guarding them.

But yeah, you eventually get blocked by needing great runes to get to the later areas since theres no way to get to consecrated snowfield without sending Morgott to the dumpster one final time.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
What quests advance/what can be missed by activating the lift? Never really got my head around so I always just advance everything as far as I can before activating it, which takes quite a bit of time even knowing all the steps

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Annath posted:

I thought you someone had said that the DLC basically wasn't going to touch the base game.

I really doubt any of the bosses will have any changed dialog with the possible exception of Mohg.

The only other boss with any connection to Miquella is Malenia, and she's unconscious until you arrive.

I guess maybe you can show up with some "Miquella's Unalloyed Gold Star" form shaving them Shadowlands or whatever.

If there's not, then oh well. The first game had that one slightly different sif scene. I don't think they've done anything similar since, but you never know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What quests advance/what can be missed by activating the lift? Never really got my head around so I always just advance everything as far as I can before activating it, which takes quite a bit of time even knowing all the steps

Nothing changes just from taking the lift in particular, but reaching Altus Plateau by any means will cause the Radahn festival to start regardless of your progress on Ranni's quest.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

If there's not, then oh well. The first game had that one slightly different sif scene. I don't think they've done anything similar since, but you never know.

there hasnt been anything like the sif sequence since ds1, dlc-related or otherwise

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Annath posted:

Maybe Gideon will give you another cookie from the jar for new info

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You are already a skeleton just heavily clothed. People are prudish about skeleton nudity.

Villain in disguise...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would you need to kill Makar? Just take the lift.

You have to kill Makar to complete the volcano manor questline and/or get the bull goat armor.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Barudak posted:

Im doing as much as possible without killing any rune bearing bosses. Radahan is tragically a bit load bearing.

the outer gods are still laughing at the greater will for using "load-bearing empyrean"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah the two halves of the lift token are an absolute cinch to get and dont have bosses guarding them.
It took me so long to realise that there's a lot of Elden Ring that you can just run straight through. Talismans I was afraid of the enemies around. Trolls and ogres blocking sites of grace. Big lads with lots of poise damage. Just spend any spare runes, equip a branch or chug a twiggy cracked tear and run in there and die laughing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if you run directly to morgott without encountering him before? Cos you don't have to fight him at stormveil.

I assume he just fucks off and that boss doesn't spawn but does he have anything to say about you not doing the whole nemesis thing with him?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

OwlFancier posted:

What happens if you run directly to morgott without encountering him before? Cos you don't have to fight him at stormveil.

I assume he just fucks off and that boss doesn't spawn but does he have anything to say about you not doing the whole nemesis thing with him?

I did that in NG+ - you fight him as normal, I don't think there's any different dialogue. After you kill him in Leyndell he's gone from Stormveil and you skip that fight if you go back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, and if you do it on NG, Morgott will drop the talisman pouch.

I wonder if there's anyone who managed to do this completely on accident, and then was confused to go back to Stormveil and find three sites of grace in a row with no enemies between them.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
If you skip him in stormveil, but fight him in the field outside leyndell does he drop the pouch there?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Astrochicken posted:

the outer gods are still laughing at the greater will for using "load-bearing empyrean"

be wary of grover,
house!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
tiny brain: margit and morgott are different people
normal size brain: margit and morgott are the same person
huge brain: margit is morgott’s long-range astral projection
galaxy brain: margit and morgott are different people

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

did they ever remove that weird loving encounter where gostoc shapeshifts into margit outside of leyndell randomly, i don't think i ran into it this time around

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

did they ever remove that weird loving encounter where gostoc shapeshifts into margit outside of leyndell randomly, i don't think i ran into it this time around

this isnt gostoc and you can query my previous post to determine if its margit

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, and you need to kill two rune bearers to unlock the golden city so in theory if you just sprint to altus, that'll unlock the radahn festival and along the way I think varre should move to his church where you can do his quest to go join the mogwyn dynasty.

You gotta talk to the Fingers in the round table to move Varre, because he only gives you the invasion keys if you agree they're hosed up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vermain posted:

you probably just walked past it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vermain posted:

Wait I thought he just like, dropped out of the sky or something, presumably that's what the craters are from. Lots of margits falling on people.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

galaxy brain: your call is very important to us. please hold while one of our blobs awaits your call

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When you fight him the first time he's Margit Gud.

When you fight him the second time and kill him he's Morgot Gud.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OwlFancier posted:

Wait I thought he just like, dropped out of the sky or something, presumably that's what the craters are from. Lots of margits falling on people.

How about perfumer cruise missiles?

https://youtu.be/K_03kFqWfqs?si=7C81pYwA_Gfq2wcJ

(~1:45)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its an incredible The Matrix reference.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just realized the lone wolf ashes is three wolves

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Juche Couture posted:

(New player) Are the grafted scions really hard or do I just suck? Decided to clear out Limgrave before I fight Godrick and holy hell the 2 on a bridge in Fringefolk Hero’s Grave. I beat the ulcerated tree spirit okay after many attempts with some patience/luck (was really close which was fun). But these I suck too much to parry, a single combo breaks my shield poise, and I only manage to roll out of one attack directly into another.

catching up on the thread, but you can solve this encounter by first hitting the far scion with a ranged attack and luring it back. for example, back to the flamethrower, and blocking at the edge of its range, or in the little nook.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Thinking of a build for the endgame and newgame plus now that I am getting there and the 2h Arsenal playstyle is getting a little old (I also find myself just using the Claymore over my other weapons more and more) I am looking at switching things up. (I want to get the Goldmask ending as it is the only one I haven't seen then get setup for the DLC and have a save outside Mohg's fight so I can do it to start the DLC).

I like the look of the Blood incantations, is there a possibility of building out a curved swords powerstance build that makes use of Bloodflame blade (for style points, this is pve) and things like Bloodboon for just looking as cool as heck. How do buffs like Bloodflame interact with ashes of war? Is there a way to enchant an offhand weapon with a buff like bloodflame or is it just the main hand?

If I am using 2x Bandit's Curved Sword, do I want to set my Ash to Arcane or Dex scaling? I know Arcane helps with bleed scaling so if I want to go all in on the bleed that should be the way to go?

Thanks!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phrosphor posted:

Thinking of a build for the endgame and newgame plus now that I am getting there and the 2h Arsenal playstyle is getting a little old (I also find myself just using the Claymore over my other weapons more and more) I am looking at switching things up. (I want to get the Goldmask ending as it is the only one I haven't seen then get setup for the DLC and have a save outside Mohg's fight so I can do it to start the DLC).

I like the look of the Blood incantations, is there a possibility of building out a curved swords powerstance build that makes use of Bloodflame blade (for style points, this is pve) and things like Bloodboon for just looking as cool as heck. How do buffs like Bloodflame interact with ashes of war? Is there a way to enchant an offhand weapon with a buff like bloodflame or is it just the main hand?

If I am using 2x Bandit's Curved Sword, do I want to set my Ash to Arcane or Dex scaling? I know Arcane helps with bleed scaling so if I want to go all in on the bleed that should be the way to go?

Thanks!

You can only buff weapons that have standard, heavy, keen, or quality infusion, as well as a small number of unique weapons like Bloodhound Fang. Bloodflame Blade is great, just keep in mind that the bleed buildup does NOT scale with arcane and the fire damage only scales with faith, regardless of what seal you're using.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Fister Roboto posted:

You can only buff weapons that have standard, heavy, keen, or quality infusion, as well as a small number of unique weapons like Bloodhound Fang. Bloodflame Blade is great, just keep in mind that the bleed buildup does NOT scale with arcane and the fire damage only scales with faith, regardless of what seal you're using.

Oh drat that puts a lot of that idea to bed. I could just run the Boon and not bloodflame blade I guess. That means I don't need to worry about the ash infusion and go for arcane.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can definitely still make it work with a dex/faith build. The lack of arcane scaling isn't a huge deal.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Also the Fringefolk grave (and those scions in particular) are a pretty tough fight for early on. Having enough HP to at least take a hit from the stupid chariot is pretty useful.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Meh. If you know how to navigate the dungeon you really only have to dodge it once or twice.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

Thanks!

Making them Blood will give them bleed, which will be more effective than bloodflame blade but is lamer. It won't be that much worse in practice, just far more tedious to set up all the time.

Grab the Scavenger's curved sword from Gelmir when you can, it's basically a Bandit's curved sword but with bleed. Make that bleed and your bandit's keen and you can still buff it and get crazy amounts of blood loss buildup while still looking cool at hell.

Another fun choice - powerstanced Great Stars. Both already have bleed and they look cool as hell buffed with bloodflame because they're pretty gnarly to begin with. Then of course you have the standard stuff like greathammers being the best class of weapons in the game and them healing on hit...yadda yadda.

The blood incants are far from bad but aren't really ideal. They're very cool, and very fun, but Mohg's seems like its more for PvP and the blood claws you get from mini Mohg is actually not bad. I enjoyed comboing it after a crucible horns, which would knock the enemy on its rear end and let me take advantage of how quick you can chain together blood claws. It's never going to be top tier but you could do a whole lot worse against anything that can bleed. Swarm of Flies has been knocked down a bunch of pegs since launch but it's literally a fire and forget you can spam whenever you would otherwise just be standing like an rear end in a top hat. Basically low cost but random staggers and blood procs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ariong posted:

Meh. If you know how to navigate the dungeon you really only have to dodge it once or twice.

or you can just rush yura's quest for raptor of the mists, which makes dealing with chariots significantly easier