Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I wish I could share how I overcame that fear, but I don’t remember. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Did she accidentally watch The Blob (1988) (speaking from experience)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGAD7RLxie4

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nybble posted:

Did she accidentally watch The Blob (1988) (speaking from experience)

Or hear this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIg61FTi5s

cailleask
May 6, 2007

So it’s possible by trying to out-logic here about something totally emotional you may be ingraining it deeper? I’d meet the feeling behind it - acknowledge it would be scary, then talk about the theoretical of what could happen and how she might protect herself. Make it a thing that gets silly and fun.

By denying you see what’s to her an obvious fear, she’s likely to just dig her heels in and go in even further to prove herself right and you wrong.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

cailleask posted:

So it’s possible by trying to out-logic here about something totally emotional you may be ingraining it deeper? I’d meet the feeling behind it - acknowledge it would be scary, then talk about the theoretical of what could happen and how she might protect herself. Make it a thing that gets silly and fun.

By denying you see what’s to her an obvious fear, she’s likely to just dig her heels in and go in even further to prove herself right and you wrong.

That's a good point, thank you

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

cailleask posted:

Yes, I agree with this. My son briefly had a fear of going down the drain. I acknowledged the fear, it's logical as he sees water go down it all the time. Then I made it silly by getting in the tub and putting my butt on the drain to show how I didn't go down the drain (trusted person showing him it's safe instead of just telling him) and turned the fear into silliness (butts lol).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNd02YLcqA

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have examples of long weekend trips they taken with toddlers that have been enjoyable for everyone?

In April our kids daycare is taking off for spring break, and my wife and I are thinking about taking a 3 or 4 day mini-vacation with them for part of it. Something that would be fun for both the adults and our 1 year old and 3 year old. Problem is, we are having difficulty figuring out exactly what that would be. They're too young for something like a water park, and the weather probably won't be very good for something like camping in April. We're just looking for something we can drive to from Philadelphia within a couple of hours. Does anyone have examples of short trips like this they've taken with their toddlers that turned out well? We're really trying to avoid a situation where we are just living out our day to day we would do at home but in an airbnb or hotel room for a few days.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How do you guys vet a date night babysitter? A mom friend recommended one she uses, but I have no idea what questions I should be asking if any. My kid is 2 in April if that matters at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Also curious about this as we look for one for our two month old. We have some recs from other parents that we generally think are conscientious etc but it's pretty tough to tell. I'm also not sure what a quick round of Q&A is really gonna tell me about them anyway.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
We had a babysitter recommended to us who, when we started vetting, in turned vetted us and was like "I'm not going to some strangers home without knowing x y and z" which was reassuring.

We asked for references basically and checked up with all the ones we knew from school (where we got the rec)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wanted to give an update on the whole “my 3 year old waking up at 4:30 am” saga, in case anyone else is dealing with the same thing.
We made a few changes - I set his hatch light to stay red overnight and turn green at 6:00 am. I also put the lock back on his door so he couldn’t bust out. And lastly, I got him a new chair and table for his room and rotated in some toy bins from downstairs. Now we are on day 3 of my little guy waking up early but staying in his room, turning on his light, and playing until I open his door at 6. The plan worked!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nesbit37 posted:

In April our kids daycare is taking off for spring break, and my wife and I are thinking about taking a 3 or 4 day mini-vacation with them for part of it. Something that would be fun for both the adults and our 1 year old and 3 year old.
If you haven't taken your kids yet to DC that's always a good trip. Kids love running around the monuments on the National Mall. They might be young for the Smithsonian museums, but they're also free so there isn't really a downside to ducking into one for a bit and leaving when the kids get cranky. If you drive, you can easily make it up to the National Zoo. There's also the Children's Museum which is fine for a couple of hours. Overall, staying in DC can be expensive but I think it's made up for the fact that it doesn't really cost much to actually do anything there.

nesbit37 posted:

We're really trying to avoid a situation where we are just living out our day to day we would do at home but in an airbnb or hotel room for a few days.
We also did a few cottage trips when our kids were that age, and if it's a nice Airbnb/Vrbo it can be pretty fun. The reality is that kids that age aren't really going to deviate too much from their "routine", which is mostly to play with whatever they can get their hands on. Your three year old is likely to be mesmerized by a "different house" particularly if it has bunk beds or something unique. Something more structured (water/amusement park) may end up falling flat due to crankiness/needing to nap, whereas a more relaxed schedule can better accommodate that. Unfortunately my experience is that the best of these places can get booked up 6-12 months ahead of time.

There's also the beach. We've been to the Delaware (Rehoboth, Dewey, etc.) beaches a few times with the kids. April is probably too cool to actually do much in the water, but going "just" offseason (before Memorial Day, after Labor Day) can still have good weather while avoiding most of the crowds.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dazerbeams posted:

How do you guys vet a date night babysitter? A mom friend recommended one she uses, but I have no idea what questions I should be asking if any. My kid is 2 in April if that matters at all.

We ultimately talked to the daycare director and she gave us the number of a lady who wanted more hours and she became our go to

Daycare director has to hire a ton of people and generally has a good feel for who are a good fit and whatnot

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
3 year old has a fever and still 100% kid energy.

I think I'm in the early stages of whatever they have and I'm at like 40% already lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Kids with energy don't actually have fevers. I mean, they do if you probe them, but you gotta rely on Schrödinger's temperature and not check if they're acting normal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
We joke about loving when our kids are truly sick, because they settle down and want to cuddle so much. If they're healthy, they're running around like crazy people generally.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Man I suddenly get it. I think I caught whatever bug it was that put my baby in the hospital. For the first time in recent memory I called out sick from work for myself because I just couldn't push through it.

All I want is a giant daddy 20x my size to pick me up and cuddle me to sleep

shut up

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Renegret posted:

shut up

Sometimes when I'm swinging my kid through the air I think about if there's any equivalent for that experience as an adult. Roller coasters? Get the guy from Game of Thrones to do it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Edna Mode posted:

Sometimes when I'm swinging my kid through the air I think about if there's any equivalent for that experience as an adult. Roller coasters? Get the guy from Game of Thrones to do it?

getting sick air off a big kicker

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Checking in to the hospital to get a bowel clean out because home remedies (exlax, suppository, lots of Miralax) didn’t work. It’s not even a lot of poop relative to what they normally see, it just won’t freaking move.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I now Understand the thread title all too well.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

My two year old is complaining about his back teeth - I thought all his teeth had come through and we are brushing them twice a day - any tips?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Manwithastick posted:

My two year old is complaining about his back teeth - I thought all his teeth had come through and we are brushing them twice a day - any tips?

Might want to call the dentist if they're still complaining after a day. Hopefully it's nothing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edna Mode posted:

Sometimes when I'm swinging my kid through the air I think about if there's any equivalent for that experience as an adult.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Checking in to the hospital to get a bowel clean out

Seriously thought this was Q and A for a moment

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

Man I suddenly get it. I think I caught whatever bug it was that put my baby in the hospital. For the first time in recent memory I called out sick from work for myself because I just couldn't push through it.

shut up

I've always planned to get a 5x scale of my own chest and arms installed in a spare room if I won the lottery.

Or a time machine and a shrink ray.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*my PA politely looks away as I nurse messily from the large, protuberant nipple*

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously thought this was Q and A for a moment

I mean, the hospital sandwich and tea you get after waking up from a colonoscopy is fantastic, especially after the prep and the lovely druggy nap. But not thrown in air by giant fantastic.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son started feeling a little bit warm tonight and just the tiniest bit congested. Ugh there's no way he's not sick as hell tomorrow morning.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

*my PA politely looks away as I nurse messily from the large, protuberant nipple*

Some think adding all the hair was unnecessary but I enjoy the extra texture

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hoo this sucks. Tube in the nose and medical staff saying “it’ll take some time to kick in…and then things get rough”

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Our toddler has started consistently pooping in the potty and it feels life-changing. Previously his routine was to wait until bedtime was over, then poop into a pullup over and over and over, requiring 3+ changes, making a mess, etc.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Edna Mode posted:

Where is Michael Clarke Duncan when you need him

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I get home from work and my kid (10) is washing the air fryer manically. I ask him what he's doing and he says you have to clean the air fryer every time you use it! Or else it can catch fire! He's seen some scary youtube about an air fryer catching fire. Also you have to pull the cord too! It's not enough just to turn it off.

I had to carefully explain to him that daddy would rather catch fire and burn to death, than clean the air fryer every time he used it. I hope he understands.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Figure out how to get him to clean your oven next.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Toddler: *farts* "like mama!" :haw:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Since coming back from the hospital baby has had pretty bad diarrhea. We were hoping that it was a side effect of the antibiotics, but his last dose was Saturday so we're starting to be a little doubtful.

This morning at about 2:30 I was woken up by a terrifyingly violent poop. The smell is probably the worst thing I've smelled in my life. It didn't blow out the diaper but the stench just permeated everything bad enough I changed his clothes and bed sheets. Then I changed my clothes. Then I took a shower. The baby is gone from the house, I'm in a different room, and I can still smell it. I'm losing my mind. I can't escape it.

I'm still sick though but parents don't get a day off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you sure you did not poop your pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm never going to rule that out as a possibility.

After all, my older reminds me every day that I'm a poopy butt