Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CitizenKain posted:

Have a request to go install our "new" wireless at a branch. We are moving from an Aruba environment to Meraki and its working well. This was already a site I was planning on doing this at. But the reason for the the best. A person there is on constant Teams meetings and has used up his data plan while connecting on his iPad.
So, he has a company laptop that runs Teams fine. But he doesn't want to run it on his laptop. So he uses his ipad that has a company intune managed Teams install on. Also fine, lots of people prefer it. But he doesn't explain why he doesn't use the existing wireless at this location.
I don't understand our users.

Is the site wifi running on wpa-enterprise? iPads are terribly picky with authentication certificates so maybe he doesn't know he needs to accept the ssid certificate to get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Not sure if this qualifies as pissing me off, but our marketing person just quit, who was hired at the same time I was some 4-5 years ago. Basically the most recent hire we have, we haven't been able to keep a hire. I know this isn't really related to IT, but I would be lying if I said morale didn't take a hit for me when I heard the news. We were acquired but I feel like everyone is low energy because we're just in maintenance mode and never try to actually improve anything. I might start looking elsewhere even if I am ultimately being paid to kinda kick rocks around these parts lately.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: Dell replaced the mobo on one of our laptops and it was a used mobo that was already intuned to a different company. When I called their support line they pointed me to this useless page https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132036/replacement-hardware-bound-to-windows-autopilot

Auto remediation failed so apparently per their own documentation we need to make a ticket with M365 to manually remove it. All because Dell is being so cheap and lazy that they're putting other companies used parts in our laptops and declaring the consequences not their problem.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

klosterdev posted:

Pissing me off: Dell replaced the mobo on one of our laptops and it was a used mobo that was already intuned to a different company. When I called their support line they pointed me to this useless page https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132036/replacement-hardware-bound-to-windows-autopilot

Auto remediation failed so apparently per their own documentation we need to make a ticket with M365 to manually remove it. All because Dell is being so cheap and lazy that they're putting other companies used parts in our laptops and declaring the consequences not their problem.

what if the board comes with on board storage, does the new company own some leaked data now?

Reoxygenation posted:

Not sure if this qualifies as pissing me off, but our marketing person just quit, who was hired at the same time I was some 4-5 years ago. Basically the most recent hire we have, we haven't been able to keep a hire. I know this isn't really related to IT, but I would be lying if I said morale didn't take a hit for me when I heard the news. We were acquired but I feel like everyone is low energy because we're just in maintenance mode and never try to actually improve anything. I might start looking elsewhere even if I am ultimately being paid to kinda kick rocks around these parts lately.

sounds like you are feeling ditched for a better job. morale at my company has been pretty low, the CEO at the beginning of the year has been making demands for us to go back to the nearest office 3 days a week. however that would mean a 2 hour commute since the nearest office is in the next town over by bus.

morale is shot on my team, with tools coming out that will ultimately render our job useless and gets us reassigned as help desk to the big 4, the future looks bleak.

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 8, 2024

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SlowBloke posted:

Is the site wifi running on wpa-enterprise? iPads are terribly picky with authentication certificates so maybe he doesn't know he needs to accept the ssid certificate to get in.

Nope, its probably that he doesn't want to go through the guest portal every few days. Our infosec team had decided that no one would ever use wireless and decreed that we can't let a connected device stay connected for more then 1 day.
Thankfully with the new gear, I can pipe user traffic directly out the internet with being tunneled back, so that issue goes away.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Has anyone ever purchased a major any IT service they were introduced to via email/phone/LinkedIn cold calls???

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

Has anyone ever purchased a major any IT service they were introduced to via email/phone/LinkedIn cold calls???

15+ years ago at my first helpdesk job my boss would take every single call in an effort to appear busy and to flirt with and harass women sales people. He often bought poo poo if they flirted back!

He was later fired for photoshopping nudes of our CEO.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

teethgrinder posted:

I used an IT asset disposal service that cold emailed me. Also got Cogent who cold called but could beat some local carrier pricing. Out of the several thousand from the last couple years, just those two.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Looking for a job and interviewing sucks. Time to vent,

• Got to the forth round of interviews with a new consulting company as an architect but they kept constantly rescheduling over multiple months. The recruiter became really impatient and wanted me to have a call at 5PM the day before the 4th of July with no other options. I wanted to start BBQing and enjoy summer. I said no and dropped it.

• IAM Admin role. One interview but I think the recruiter nicked me for not knowing the difference between IAM and IdM with them explicitly focusing on the small "d". The answer they were looking for was one was the management of identities (joiner, leaver, mover) and the other is permission management.

• System Admin role. Smoked the first interview but the guy on the second interview hit me with a bunch of Exchange questions which I know absolutely nothing about at all but that isn't the focus of the position. Didn't get it.

• Another IAM Role. Two interviews. Smoked both of them and they said I did well and I could tell they wanted to hire me but still had interviews. Then went completely dark. No idea. Recruiter doesn't know what's going on either.

• Another IAM Role. Recruiter thought I was fantastic. First round interviews went well then nothing.

• Architect Role. A manager asked me a basic question like "Do you talk to customers?" and my brain went to total deer-in-headlights. I didn't really get what he was asking and I responded with a confused... "Yea, I talk to customers....? I work with them after projects are handed from sales?". I didn't get the job.

I still have interviews and messages from recruiters but everything I've been going for is remote and my options are becoming a little limited. There's still a lot out there, I might cut my losses and move to LA or the the Bay Area.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gucci Loafers posted:

Looking for a job and interviewing sucks. Time to vent,

I still have interviews and messages from recruiters but everything I've been going for is remote and my options are becoming a little limited. There's still a lot out there, I might cut my losses and move to LA or the the Bay Area.

That sucks. :smith:

These opportunities that are ghosting you, are they remote or onsite? By all appearances, the IT job market is in a rough state except for some extremely talented wizards with loads of work experience. I think the remote-job market is even worse off since everyone and their sister wants to work remotely, and every posted opening immediately receives hundreds of applicants.

Are you involved in any IT groups or communities? I'm trying to get my foot into the SQL Server and Postgres communities, in hopes I can leverage that network into a job when the time comes. It seems a good path if you don't mind people.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

teethgrinder posted:

Way back at the hosed up little telemarketing company where I got my start in IT,the owner bought a new email system literally on the golf course. He was exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat who'd do that.

QuickMail Pro, which sucked.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I wouldn't move to the Bay for work rn, tech companies have been laying people off en masse for the past two years and guess where most tech companies are situated or have a presence in.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Browsers do this thing now where they throw up an un-escape-able window that requires you to click through it before you can get to what you launched the browser to do.

"Are you SURE you don't want to import bookmarks from other browsers?"

"Are you SURE you don't want to set me as the default browser?"

Between Edge, Firefox and Chrome throwing up these blockers on the several PCs I own it makes me crazy insane.

Every. loving. Time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I take great pleasure in knocking all that poo poo back with policy, turning off the celebrity gossip and clickbait news feed etc

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BaseballPCHiker posted:

15+ years ago at my first helpdesk job my boss would take every single call in an effort to appear busy and to flirt with and harass women sales people. He often bought poo poo if they flirted back!

He was later fired for photoshopping nudes of our CEO.

Any idea where he is now? Because I see great things in his future.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

I take great pleasure in knocking all that poo poo back with policy, turning off the celebrity gossip and clickbait news feed etc

Policy, Precious? What's is it?

Seriously. What's a policy for stopping these post-update windows from appearing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Things like

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#autoimportatfirstrun
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#importoneachlaunch
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#promotionaltabsenabled
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#newtabpagecontentenabled

Chrome has similar ones to prevent it ever nagging about importing profile data from other browsers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've just taken to manually hauling over my browser profile whenever I install a new version on a personal machine. Saves a lot of hassle.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Any idea where he is now? Because I see great things in his future.

Would it surprise you to learn he was a morbidly obese man in his 60’s? He died probably 10 years ago if I recall correctly.

He actually started out as a radio engineer in the 70s before going into IT. He was a real piece of poo poo overall but he did help me get my ham license so I’ll give him some credit there.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

klosterdev posted:

I wouldn't move to the Bay for work rn, tech companies have been laying people off en masse for the past two years and guess where most tech companies are situated or have a presence in.

That and recruiters haven't caught up to the economic realities. Here's some highlights from one I got the other week:

- C-level - focused support
- Required 40% travel
- Required 24/7 oncall
- 5 years of experience in Mac and Windows support
- Must have: Windows 10/11/server, Apple, Android, iOS, Office 365.

23.50/hr on W2, no benefits.

In San Francisco. Not "in the SF Bay Area." In the city proper.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

That and recruiters haven't caught up to the economic realities. Here's some highlights from one I got the other week:

- C-level - focused support
- Required 40% travel
- Required 24/7 oncall
- 5 years of experience in Mac and Windows support
- Must have: Windows 10/11/server, Apple, Android, iOS, Office 365.

23.50/hr on W2, no benefits.

In San Francisco. Not "in the SF Bay Area." In the city proper.

Maybe the C level is supposed to tip or something

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of the time that's just recruiters advertising what they're given, presumably to make whatever fee they get for stupid roles. I've been talking to some here and telling them not to post poo poo like that in the same post as the same role but for 20% more cash and no security clearance requirements.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Would it surprise you to learn he was a morbidly obese man in his 60’s? He died probably 10 years ago if I recall correctly.

He actually started out as a radio engineer in the 70s before going into IT. He was a real piece of poo poo overall but he did help me get my ham license so I’ll give him some credit there.

Thank you for giving me closure.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

A lot of the time that's just recruiters advertising what they're given, presumably to make whatever fee they get for stupid roles. I've been talking to some here and telling them not to post poo poo like that in the same post as the same role but for 20% more cash and no security clearance requirements.

I've gotten the same role four times now from diff recruiters, all of them in the $22-$28 range. I've been idly wondering what the actual rate is that they're skimming off of.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

tactlessbastard posted:

Maybe the C level is supposed to tip or something

or maybe the $23.50/hr applies to the 24/7 on call :lol:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sfwarlock posted:

I've gotten the same role four times now from diff recruiters, all of them in the $22-$28 range. I've been idly wondering what the actual rate is that they're skimming off of.
These rolls are at different places, but what I mean is you'll see:
"Role 1: Hybrid, CRT required, £45-55k
Role 2: Hybrid, CTM required, £40-45k
Role 3: Remote, CTL required, £infinity"

and CTM is just "someone who has done the CRT, ticked the box before taking the exam, and then passed a security clearance check". That security clearance check is only passable if you've been in the UK for five+ years without leaving for 28 days or more, so for someone like me who moved over in 2021 that is simultaneously literally impossible and also makes me wonder what idiots are trying to underbid the better candidates.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A lot of recruiters are just scraping the web for posted jobs and then trying to find someone they can submit for the position to get a finders fee. They don't actually have a contract with the company, and half the time they don't even obfuscate the company they are submitting you to so you can look it up and apply directly.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

A lot of recruiters are just scraping the web for posted jobs and then trying to find someone they can submit for the position to get a finders fee. They don't actually have a contract with the company, and half the time they don't even obfuscate the company they are submitting you to so you can look it up and apply directly.

The recruiters that reach my inbox defend the name of the company with their life. Won't give it for anything in the world. Well, for a phone call they would, but hah, that's expensive.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Volguus posted:

The recruiters that reach my inbox defend the name of the company with their life. Won't give it for anything in the world. Well, for a phone call they would, but hah, that's expensive.

Try searching for any part of the job description, 99% of the time it's a direct copy/paste and Google can find the original listing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Volguus posted:

Asked a recruiter which company she was recruiting for, and she literally wouldn't tell me. I told her to call me back when she had something tangible to put on the table, I'm not going through an interview about my CV, personality, spare time hobbies and hopes and dreams for something I don't know what is.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

One recruiter that contacted me last month was so bad at his job, he tried to sell me on a position at my current job. And not even a better one.

I told him to at least check who my current employer is before cold-calling me.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Some of those people are relentless. Like most I don't answer calls from people I don't know. They will call , leave a message. Then call back like three more times

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The callback is an attempt to get past the do not disturb type of feature on some phones (iphone?) where it won't ring the phone the first time someone calls, but if the person calls back the phone assumes it must be important and then rings.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Recruiters won't get my (phone) number until I get their (salary) number. Hard and fast rule, because I'm not going to waste my time on a job that pays 80% of my current comp.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

“Call me back! I’ve got the perfect opportunity for you!”

[lists hourly job a thousand miles away at effective rate of 60% of current salary]

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 14, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Recruiters are such a mixed bag, I've had terrible ones and ok ones. My new job is from a cold approach by a recruiter for a role the company didn't even have on their jobs page yet, and they did all the salary negotiations and I'm getting a 20% increase. That kind of thing is when they're worth it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I've stuck with the same recruiter agency for 15 years and see no reason to change that

They send a cake to your job when you get hired there :allears:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Do recruiters have to pay for unsolicited messages on LinkedIn? Or is it they pay if you respond or do not respond?

My profile shows I speak Japanese and experience in IT in Japan until a few years back and also that I'm clearly now in an engineering/architect role. But every so often, I'll get some muppet inviting me to apply for an M365 support role that requires Japanese language skills. Motherfucker does it look like I'm trying to bend my career trajectory into a U shape? Also gently caress off with that "invitation to apply" poo poo. If you think my profile has what you need then set up an interview already (which I will immediately turn down for the previous reason.)

I'd like to make sure I'm costing them the most possible for their message by responding or not.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Also gently caress off with that "invitation to apply" poo poo.

Dude. So much this.

And inevitably the application is through some homegrown portal of some kinds that requires copy/pasting chunks of your resume/profile into 60 different fields.

“High school GPA” indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm currently doing the "what's your salary?" "what's your budget?" infinite loop with a third party recruiter for a job I don't even want, in a different country. I have nothing better to do with my employer's time TBH.

Weatherman posted:

Do recruiters have to pay for unsolicited messages on LinkedIn? Or is it they pay if you respond or do not respond?

My profile shows I speak Japanese and experience in IT in Japan until a few years back and also that I'm clearly now in an engineering/architect role. But every so often, I'll get some muppet inviting me to apply for an M365 support role that requires Japanese language skills. Motherfucker does it look like I'm trying to bend my career trajectory into a U shape? Also gently caress off with that "invitation to apply" poo poo. If you think my profile has what you need then set up an interview already (which I will immediately turn down for the previous reason.)

I'd like to make sure I'm costing them the most possible for their message by responding or not.
I have been told, but cannot confirm, that an "InMail" from anyone you aren't a contact of costs a whole :10bux:, which they get back if you reply to it.