Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which ketchup is best
Spanktchup
Squeezetchup
Goku-tchup?
View Results

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

white people love their mind bending rear end in a top hat destroyer turbo mega ultra pepper hot sauces for some reason. i dont get it

Our assholes require punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

white people love their mind bending rear end in a top hat destroyer turbo mega ultra pepper hot sauces for some reason. i dont get it

Do they want mind bending rear end in a top hat destruction, or nothing spicier than mayo? Someone tell white people to make up their loving minds.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

white people are a vast and varied culture but only white people consume those insane gimmick sauces

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/29u_FejNuks?si=kckSXVc8s7x_xbW0

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

dee eight posted:

i worked with a hmong lady and she gave me a taste of her homemade ghost pepper sauce once

i was like wow that's delish and then my eyeballs started to sweat

hell my skeleton was sweating

my truck out in the parking lot was sweating

my children broke out in hives

my ancestors tombstones were sweating

it was p good stuff

It's because of all the spicy ghosts

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My favorite sauces are a mustard-based BBQ sauce (Meathead's Columbia Gold recipe is my go-to) and a hot sauce I made by mixing homegrown Ghost Peppers with canned peaches in heavy syrup.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Drunk Nerds posted:

My favorite sauces are a mustard-based BBQ sauce (Meathead's Columbia Gold recipe is my go-to) and a hot sauce I made by mixing homegrown Ghost Peppers with canned peaches in heavy syrup.

details or additional info on the second sauce?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Caribbean mustard and carrot containing hot sauces are amazing, I finally found a place that does Jamaican style sauces near me, you have to track what farmer's market they're at this weekend to get 'em, but that just makes getting them sweeter.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Elviscat posted:

Do they want mind bending rear end in a top hat destruction, or nothing spicier than mayo? Someone tell white people to make up their loving minds.

it's both, some white people see the world of hot sauces as their personal Everest exactly because of the stereotype that white people can't handle their spice

'oh yeah? you think we can't handle it??? well then we will make the most uncomfortably spicy sauce in the world and eat it, just to prove it to you! *crying blood* mmm so delicious, so good, hahahaha *vomits*'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
this is the instinct that created Hot Ones

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

white people are a vast and varied culture but only white people consume those insane gimmick sauces

Yes. Ditto with the IPAs. I think it might be American white people specifically, or at least in majority. My theory is non whites inadvertently bullied an insecure portion of American whites into inventing tortilla chips spicy enough to kill children by joking we have bland palettes. Similarly, the British got some of us to brew and drink 24 proof Lysol by joking that our macrobrews are low abv corn water. We’re truly a great, not at all insecure or overreacting, people.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it's both, some white people see the world of hot sauces as their personal Everest exactly because of the stereotype that white people can't handle their spice

'oh yeah? you think we can't handle it??? well then we will make the most uncomfortably spicy sauce in the world and eat it, just to prove it to you! *crying blood* mmm so delicious, so good, hahahaha *vomits*'

I read a thing once that the hottest type of ghost peppers from india were grown mostly to keep elephants out of fields, not as food. The locals would only eat tiny slivers. And when white people searching for the hottest pepper in the world came and wanted to buy tons of it they though it was nuts.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yeah, but isn’t a Carolina Reaper hotter on the Scoville Scale than a ghost pepper?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the whitest pepper, from the whitest place, for the whitest people

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, but isn’t a Carolina Reaper hotter on the Scoville Scale than a ghost pepper?

sure, but that was only invented like a decade ago.

when the hot sauce industry started to take off in the late 90s they went around the world looking for the hottest peppers, which is how the ghost pepper got popular. it was probably the hottest pepper in the "wild" or naturally grown before the early 2000s.

then some people (mostly one maniac) started crossbreeding new pepper varieties to be even hotter.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The new McDs dipping sauce isn't very good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Chimichurri is the best sauce

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Chimichurri is the best sauce

It's pretty great, sir.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Green chile

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Green chili sauce is great with condensed chicken soup and crackers.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Based on the number of dishes that wouldn't exist without it, I'd say soy sauce. Pad see ew alone would be a big loss.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Based on the number of dishes that wouldn't exist without it, I'd say soy sauce. Pad see ew alone would be a big loss.

I’m a big fan of Maggi Wurze, which is sort of like soy sauce’s large, sweaty German cousin,

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sriracha.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

I ate a lot of Sriracha during the big Sriracha craze of the 2010's.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Rooster sauce company really poo poo the bed. they used to dominate that space and now there's a bunch of competitors.

big time drama. they took their sole supplier of peppers (for decades) to court and lost. their product disappeared from stores for years, they had to pay a big rear end settlement, and now they look like assholes who won't honor contracts.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If Sriracha was actually spicy it would be the best sauce instead of being really good

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

If Sriracha was actually spicy it would be the best sauce instead of being really good

chili peppers are at least the #1 ingredient, which is more than can be said for comparable sauces in the same style which are basically just spicy vinegar, like tabasco, franks, or very dilute with brine like cholula and stuff

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

the Rooster sauce company really poo poo the bed. they used to dominate that space and now there's a bunch of competitors.

big time drama. they took their sole supplier of peppers (for decades) to court and lost. their product disappeared from stores for years, they had to pay a big rear end settlement, and now they look like assholes who won't honor contracts.

Has anyone made a movie yet?

Could call it "The Rooster"; "Rooster"
"The Rooster Ranch"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Spicy vinegar is exactly why I like tobasco and franks.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Spicy vinegar is exactly why I like tobasco and franks.

they have their place for sure. it all depends on what you want out of a sauce

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Has anyone made a movie yet?

Could call it "The Rooster"; "Rooster"
"The Rooster Ranch"

uh, hello, it should for obvs be titled COCKFIGHT

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

uh, hello, it should for obvs be titled COCKFIGHT

Doesn't play with our South Carolina Christians

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

they have their place for sure. it all depends on what you want out of a sauce

Oh for sure, I don't use any one sauce on everything. The day I find that sauce though I'll have transcended.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

yup. shame. and now tabasco is outplaying them at their own game. you hate to see it. but hell, when the bottles on the table at the local lao restaurant flipped to tabasco sriracha, i knew the writing was on the wall

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HEEEEY here comes the roooooster........

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Doesn't play with our South Carolina Christians

only the clemson fans

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mayo can be combined with any other ingredient to make a new type of mayo

Garlic mayo
Pepper mayo
Chipotle mayo
Ranch mayo
Miracle whip mayo
Arugula mayo
Sriracha mayo

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Smugworth posted:

Garlic mayo
Pepper mayo
Chipotle mayo
Ranch mayo
Miracle whip mayo
Arugula mayo
Sriracha mayo

Nando's spicy parinaise :discourse:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Garlic mayo
Pepper mayo
Chipotle mayo
Ranch mayo
Miracle whip mayo
Arugula mayo
Sriracha mayo

Your Mama Mayo

(sorry!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chili peppers are at least the #1 ingredient, which is more than can be said for comparable sauces in the same style which are basically just spicy vinegar, like tabasco, franks, or very dilute with brine like cholula and stuff

That's meaningless though, they're not all using the same type of peppers.

Siracha is made with jalepenos. That's why it's not as hot as many other hot sauces, if you eat a spoonful. Tabasco is made with tabasco peppers, which are like 50% as hot as habaneros. So even diluted with vinegar it's hotter than many other basic hot sauces.

(I like plain old tabasco because you can make stuff hot without adding a ton of salt.)