Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this god drat game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i had things to do yesterday evening

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they were incorrect plans made by a life you can no longer maintain

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

goblin week posted:

i had things to do yesterday evening

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I did Jokerless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xDeczqiro

I got really lucky with the flush planet cards early on and then I found telescope and that let me scale into the endgame. I didn't even need to abuse glass cards, just a nice and consistent flush deck with a couple of steels:

I'm lucky I never ran into a bad bossfight. You can actually get the "debuffs all your cards until you sell a joker" one in this challenge...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elman posted:

I did Jokerless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xDeczqiro

I got really lucky with the flush planet cards early on and then I found telescope and that let me scale into the endgame. I didn't even need to abuse glass cards, just a nice and consistent flush deck with a couple of steels:

I'm lucky I never ran into a bad bossfight. You can actually get the "debuffs all your cards until you sell a joker" one in this challenge...

Not a good run for getting the "Play all Hearts in your deck in one round" unlock :v:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I got the legendary that makes a negative copy of a consumable and also got the telescope that gives 1.5x for a consumable planet, while playing the checkered deck.

Yes the 1.5x stack, yes having 10 negative jupiters is amazing.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I got the legendary that makes a negative copy of a consumable and also got the telescope that gives 1.5x for a consumable planet, while playing the checkered deck.

This is one of the ways to get to super high integers.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Kuros posted:

This is one of the ways to get to super high integers.

I didn’t really have enough other scaling going to get past the big blind on ante 12 sadly.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I thought I was really cool for getting to ante 12 and then I saw the small blind

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

... poo poo I just realized that negative consumables, like negative jokers, don't take up space

poo poo!

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Einwand posted:

I believe 1 in 4 to mean that it should work 99% of the time.

I checked the source code and that's how it's implemented for glass.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

death cob for cutie posted:

... poo poo I just realized that negative consumables, like negative jokers, don't take up space

poo poo!

I haven't even seen negative consumables, where do you get them?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't even seen negative consumables, where do you get them?
I think only the legendary Perkeo does it. If you want to see her in the next 30 hours of playing I recommend finding a seed (there are a lot around because all the highest cap builds in game abuse stacking tons of negative consumables)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

well yeah he tried to play an illegal joker. everyone knows it's a +80 chip bonus for playing a flush.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And he tried to play it with a high card

What a rube

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/NorthernIion_LP/status/1767666347100848404

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Guys I think I made Joker Stencil mad.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Northernlion's the best. I'm happy for him that people are discovering him through Balatro.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MJeff posted:

Guys I think I made Joker Stencil mad.

what happens if you actually have joker stencil in that challenge? does it just blow up your run after the cutoff point?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Color Printer posted:

what happens if you actually have joker stencil in that challenge? does it just blow up your run after the cutoff point?

The text explicitly says "set your Joker Slots to 0", so yeah, I think Joker Stencil would just make all of your hands 0, lol.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
okay, this run is now officially completely insane lol

Edit: Just made it to Ante 14 for the first time ever :toot:

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 13, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ante 14 is some crazy poo poo, noice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, the "increase everything's cost every time you buy something" challenge loving sucks.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

LifeLynx posted:

Northernlion's the best. I'm happy for him that people are discovering him through Balatro.

He truly is the Dad streamer. (in the best possible way)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
huh, this game looks pretty fun. may as well get it and try it out. made it the way to ante 8 only to get stopped by the violet thing. anyway why is it 2 am now-- :stare:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

finally managed to get a win on gold stake with the abandoned deck, which btw is a top tier deck. got lucky with a bunch of polychrome jokers at the start, giving me enough time to build up my engine with ride the bus and the running joker, topped up with cavendish and vampire at the end. what a miserable experience tho. not the actual playing of the game, that was good fun, but the ridiculous amount of non runs and restarts needed to get a decent run going. deffo not going near the higher difficulties for a while, hope local thunk gives them a proper look at some point

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The developer is doing an AMA in the r/games subreddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1bdtmlg/ama_i_am_localthunk_developer_and_artist_for/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He wants to add a daily challenge mode and a lot of support in the future, that's rad

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

He wants to add a daily challenge mode and a lot of support in the future, that's rad

Daily challenges would be awesome.

Just won with the yellow deck for the first time with a full house build. Got lucky with a few spectral cards and had 15 kings and 17 jacks.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I am looking forward to my productivity screeching to a halt the instant a mobile version releases.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Relyssa posted:

I am looking forward to my productivity screeching to a halt the instant a mobile version releases.

:hmmyes:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

How do you set it so you're only seeing the questions and answers and not all the extra reddit cruft.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MJeff posted:

How do you set it so you're only seeing the questions and answers and not all the extra reddit cruft.

You can click on the devs name to see their profile and comments. Probably the easiest way to do it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can't help but appreciate him saying "It's my game, deal with it." on the super duper completionist achievement.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Can't help but appreciate him saying "It's my game, deal with it." on the super duper completionist achievement.

Similarly, this is a great answer that I think speaks a lot to why the game wound up being so good:

quote:

This question is a really important one and I think it exposes a fundamental design issue with Balatro. I have seen a lot of opinions leaning either way on this, but the reason this is an issue at all is because Balatro doesn't currently display perfect information even if it is available. Another way to think about this is that there is a gulf between the information horizon (Information available to the player) and the view of that information (What the game actually tells you)

In Balatro, my personal belief is that the game is more fun when you set up your Rube Goldberg machine and watch it go before knowing whether or not the hand will win the round. This adds some drama and suspense for players that don't feel like they need to know the exact score before pressing play. This has a pretty large design flaw though: Balatro is also a strategy game and not giving the player this tool is basically just poor quality of life for players that want to min-max their strategy, since they will want to do that legwork anyway.

The solutions are to either move the information horizon to the point the game currently displays, which would require making Joker effects or card bonuses fuzzy (like Misprint, for example), OR it would require a perfect score preview that, IMO, would make the game less fun for a large contingent of players that enjoy the pageantry of the chips ticking up, the fire, the drama, the excitement when you barely make it past the blind. I am in that contingent of players, and ultimately I designed this game for me, so even if it does put some players off I need to stay true to my preferences.

This is all to say, the criticism is 100% warranted and not something I think has a clear and simple answer. I wish it did - and I have spent a long time trying to come up with a theoretical solution to no avail. Really if I wanted to create a game without this design issue, I don't think an experience like Balatro could really exist.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Similarly, this is a great answer that I think speaks a lot to why the game wound up being so good:

I'm impressed he identified this flaw but decided that fixing it would ruin the game. And he's right that most players don't care.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well I mean, you could just have a checkbox that says "show score preview" in options that players can opt into.

I personally am fine with just holding my cursor over X and watching the score like a hawk and closing the game if it isn't enough.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He’s 100% right.