Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mustached Demon posted:

Root for better teams or even players. Caitlin Clark is a good person to root for.

See but every time I think about Caitlin Clark I think about how James Wade spent several years building a team in chicago only to spend the last year of his tenure dumping gasoline on it and then throwing a match as he ran away, and we're still only getting the third pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mustached Demon posted:

Root for better teams or even players. Caitlin Clark is a good person to root for.

It's basically Jalen Brunson or bust now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

more falafel please posted:

See but every time I think about Caitlin Clark I think about how James Wade spent several years building a team in chicago only to spend the last year of his tenure dumping gasoline on it and then throwing a match as he ran away, and we're still only getting the third pick

Yeah but banners hang forever.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that one before. That's some real cold poo poo lol

The Padres did it a hundred years ago to Todd Walker.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow, incredible move by the Giants FO. every dollar they save is another dollar their owner can donate to a Trump PAC, really doing what they have to here

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bregor posted:

Reed Johnson is such a "remember some guys?" type of player

I hated his stupid beard because he would absolutely mash against the Mets when he was a Brave

e: looked it up and he OPSed 860, which is good but not really mashing :shrug:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 12, 2024

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The Padres did it a hundred years ago to Todd Walker.

Teams do it every year.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

Teams do it every year.

Lose to a player in arbitration and then cut them so that they don't have to pay? I don't think that's true.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm sure the PA never expected the situation to come up where it would matter that player salaries after an arb hearing aren't guaranteed

After a hearing specifically, if it never goes to hearing then whatever number they agree on is guaranteed

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Bregor posted:

Goddamn I get such a rush of nostalgia remembering Jays from the 2000s.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Lose to a player in arbitration and then cut them so that they don't have to pay? I don't think that's true.

I think it happens once or twice a year, yeah. First couple examples I found were Justin Grimm and Hunter Strickland

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

The solo dim spot in the darkness on some very forgettable early 2010s Cubs teams.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tired: Spend money for Snell or Montgomery to replace your ace.
Wired: Spend prospect capital to trade for one year of Cease to replace your ace.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1767575902769279128

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Cease isn't even that good. They can't replace Cole with him. Or anyone else. If he's out for the year they are dead.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sydin posted:

Tired: Spend money for Snell or Montgomery to replace your ace.
Wired: Spend prospect capital to trade for one year of Cease to replace your ace.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1767575902769279128

It's even better, Cease has two years left so the White Sox are asking for a king's ransom in prospects. I cannot stress enough how much New York should definitely do this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goddamn Cease has two years left still? How? loving hell service time is bullshit.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I was looking up Cease's 2025 status (arb 3) and saw that the White Sox are paying Moncada $24.8 million this year? lololololol that's Tony Rendon thievery right there! gently caress Jerry get paid Yoan.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cease kinda sucks just pay Monty

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

How many more pitchers must be cut down in their prime before Snell and Montgomery sign

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's dead Jim

https://twitter.com/ChrisKirschner/status/1767642357845958789?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We won't know until he shows up in the clubhouse wearing a Keith Meister ballcap.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bregor posted:

I was looking up Cease's 2025 status (arb 3) and saw that the White Sox are paying Moncada $24.8 million this year? lololololol that's Tony Rendon thievery right there! gently caress Jerry get paid Yoan.

That's nowhere near Rendon thievery

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Yankees love lying about injuries more than I've ever loved anything in my life.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
https://x.com/ChrisBrown0914/status/1767630635789648109?s=20

I said it in the GDT, but for the love of God I hope this kid stays healthy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

How many more pitchers must be cut down in their prime before Snell and Montgomery sign

My theory is that, even with the pitch clock, no one actually wants to watch Blake Snell pitch

Not sure about Monty

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean at this point would either of them be ready by opening day

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

My theory is that, even with the pitch clock, no one actually wants to watch Blake Snell pitch

Not sure about Monty

they just talked about this on effectively wild, based on a question that was basically "what if teams just really don't like watching him" but they made a great point that the reasons you don't like him (tons of walks, all over the zone, never seems like he's "got it" today) are also statistical problems. like he doesn't get hit that hard, but stuff like having a FIP a whole run higher than your ERA is gonna make teams wonder if that's sustainable at all, especially assuming he wants a long term deal. that stuff isn't gonna play the same when he's 35, 36, 37

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Cease is younger and I don't think it's hard to argue has a higher ceiling than Montgomery and probably Snell, I don't think it's surprising the Yankees would rather trade for him than sign one of those guys, especially given their tax hit.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Inspector_666 posted:

Cease is younger and I don't think it's hard to argue has a higher ceiling than Montgomery and probably Snell, I don't think it's surprising the Yankees would rather trade for him than sign one of those guys, especially given their tax hit.

I agree that’s a reasonable plan, but the pessimistic view is Cease is who he was last season, and dealing top tier prospects for him and hoping for his 2022 production is an even worse outcome than just signing someone as a stopgap.

Montgomery has the highest floor of any of them, still surprised he isn’t signed yet. I guess it’s no coincidence that Belli and Chapman signed option-laden deals but the SPs just want to get paid now before their ligaments and tendons explode.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah idk if Cease has a higher ceiling than Snell. Monty sure, although he's probably also got a lower floor than Monty. He's got one really loving good season and then a bunch of >= 4 ERA ones. He also took a step back on a ton of peripherals last year so like, there's not some outlier thing to point to as confidence he's gonna bounce back to his 2022 self. His FB velo has been trending down as well which is odd for a guy in his prime.

idk I don't get why the Yankees don't just pay Snell. They're over the tax this year anyway and have $90M coming off the books next year per sportrac (granted like a third of that is Soto who they presumably want to try and re-up, but still).

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Bregor posted:

I agree that’s a reasonable plan, but the pessimistic view is Cease is who he was last season, and dealing top tier prospects for him and hoping for his 2022 production is an even worse outcome than just signing someone as a stopgap.

Montgomery has the highest floor of any of them, still surprised he isn’t signed yet. I guess it’s no coincidence that Belli and Chapman signed option-laden deals but the SPs just want to get paid now before their ligaments and tendons explode.

I can't think of a single WSox player who is the floor of the poo poo show organization Jerry and Co. put together the last 2 years. Giolito might be close but he is the victim of some bad injuries.

Also gently caress Jerry Reinsdorf.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that 2022 is a pretty clear outlier

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Snell won the Cy Young twice..... His ceiling is best pitcher in the league. Cease isn't that kind of pitcher.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Snell won the Cy Young twice..... His ceiling is best pitcher in the league. Cease isn't that kind of pitcher.

He finished second for the Cy Young in 2022 lol

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat, good point about Cease finishing 2nd in Cy Young voting in 2022. certainly his backsliding is just an outlier, like 3rd in Cy Young voting in 2022 Alek Manoah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Blake Snell would literally be a Yankee today if there wasn't a salary cap in baseball.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
oh, ok

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/cespedesbbq/status/1767714092049952787?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mcmagic posted:

Blake Snell would literally be a Yankee today if there wasn't a salary cap in baseball.

There isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have decided to bestow the nickname “The Lawnmower Man” upon Jackson Jobe.

Because of Jobe from The Lawnmower Man, and also because of the way he cuts down batters.

Early 90’s virtual reality scoreboard graphics: Optional.